The X Factor 2009

Guest Lesley_Baker

So Simon Cowell has chosen this years winners song and it just happens to be one Joe has already sang on the show :rolleyes: It is "Don't Stop Believing". I hate when he chooses a song that a contestant has already sang as it looks like they are favoring that contestant and in my opinion Joe singing that again fills me with dread.... In fact i think i would even go so far as saying i would prefer to see Dayl sing it than Joe.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I *LOVE* JEDWARD!

Seriously. They're just...... brilliant.

I don't care much for the X Factor (I may do if they stop clashing it with Strictly and remove Cheryl from the judging panel, but that's neither here nor there). I have, however, been keeping upto date with their performances, either through a break in the SCD performances, or through watching on itv/youtube later.

They can't sing. I know that. Why people keep pointing it out is beyond me. I get the impression even those that vote for them know they can't sing. They're ENTERTAINING though. I've seen a few other XF performances when SCD has finished and my Mum has it on downstairs and, tbh, I find the rest of them incredibly dull. It's hard to believe that this is the same show that brought us Leona Lewis (who, whilst I'm not a huge fan myself, has a gorgeous voice). None of them had much of a wow factor. Or should that be an X Factor? :P

I get a lot of people see it as a singing competition, but that doesn't stop others from having the right to see it as "entertainment". I was one of those SCD viewers that complained, whined and moaned when John Sergeant kept getting through SCD last series. Now, I feel like I should eat humble pie, because I can actually see where they were coming from. It entertained them. Isn't that was Saturday nights are all about? Entertainment after a week of working?. Why would people want serious when there's enough serious drama going on in the world to depress us all as it is? I'd rather sit and watch an entertaining performance by John & Edward than be forced to go out into the real world and actually worry over much more serious matters. A tired argument, maybe, but true nonetheless.

I don't think they'll win (sadly), but I'm glad they were finalists. A better singer will triumph in the end (as they always do) but I wouldn't be to surprised if J&E are still the most talked about of the series when it ends. I hope they do well whatever they do, even if it is Butlins-style. So long as Louis sticks by his promise to look after them when the shows over, they should be OK.

They'd be brilliant as the next Sam & Mark. (Ant & Dec's pushing it. Even I'll admit J&E aren't a patch on Ant & Dec). :D Ironically, Sam & Mark were also in a reality tv entertainment show, neither won, yet both are still the most popular and most recognisable to come from the series.

I apologise to everyone, because no doubt I'll get eaten for this post. I do, however, love you all. :P

I agree about Jedward. They can't sing very well at all, which is no doubt why Louis keeps giving them rap songs. I HATE rap as it's "music" for the tone deaf, but I always have to see Jedward. I nearly always miss Saturday's show but I watch it on YouTube the next day just for the entertainment value, don't bother checking out any of the others.

I'm not too sure they won't win tho. Ollie is pretty good, as is Joe, and Stacey is very, very likeable and has a great voice. But...they just don't have anyone this year who is a world class star. If Jedward were up against someone like Rhydian it would be a totally different story (hang on a minute tho, Rhydian was runner-up to medicore Leon Jackson, wasn't he? :blink: )

Hmm, well I was wrong. I think they'll end up doing the very best out of all the other contestants, they'll certainly be the most remembered despite their mediocre singing. I really couldn't care less who wins now tho, the show's had all the FUN taken out of it. :(

Hmm, well I was wrong. I think they'll end up doing the very best out of all the other contestants, they'll certainly be the most remembered despite their mediocre singing. I really couldn't care less who wins now tho, the show's had all the FUN taken out of it. :(

:(

Interestingly, J&E did an interview with The Times, where this was said:

Does it bother them that they can’t sing? “Look,” John eventually responds. “It’s called The X Factor. It’s not called the Sing-Factor. X could mean anything.”

Have to commend John for that, because I think it's refreshing to hear someone say that! The X Factor, IMO, is about having the ability to make people sit up and watch you. It's about entertaining them and keeping them coming back for more, even if it is only because it's cringeworthingly bad.

The rest have alright voices, but very little else. That's not having the X Factor. Most of them make me feel like I have the Zzzzz Factor.

Fair enough, the winning act will go on to have a #1 (That's pretty much garaunteed) and possibly a decent charting follow up single, but I wont be buying it. There's no appeal there at all. With J&E, the novelty was their appeal. Everyone knew they were going to be bad week after week, but everyone wanted to see what they'd do next.

Given that I haven't ever watched an X Factor series before, it takes something special to have me tuning in for even five minutes. J&E did that. That's what I call having an X Factor. :wink:

(I miss them. It's going to be boring tonight not being able to watch their performance on YouTube.)

The whole point of the X Factor is to sign up a recoridng artist at the end of the show. Fair enough, Jedward were entertaining to watch on the television - but i don't think there's any way that would transpire to radio or to an album. Could anyone honestly listen to an entrie CD of them attempting to sing?

I would! :lol: The same way people bought The Cheeky Girls singles at first. Didn't they have 4 top 10 singles in the UK? Hilariously, much more succesful than Leon Jackson & Steve Brookstein.

Unless they pull something spectacular out of the bag by the end of the series, I can't see the winner being all that special either. Steve & Leon are proof that it doesn't matter if you win or not, it's not a garauntee you're going to be successful. Even Shayne Ward seems to have disappeared. Leona & Alexandra were very lucky. I think both girls have got something about them that makes me want to listen to them, despite not watching XF. None of them this series have that. They're all bland. Pretty voices, but very little else to attract them. Like it or not, Jedward had people sitting up and taking notice. They've notched up far more attention between them than the rest of the acts.

I'll gladly eat my hat if, by Christmas 2010, people are still buying the winners music. Nobody is sayimg J&E are going to be around forever, nor is anybody saying they're interested in buying their music. It's an invalid argument to suggest the way it would have gone if they'd won, because they didn't. However, I find it extremely rude and quite nasty for people to be so down on their musical abilities. Since leaving the X Factor, they've had plenty of other offers, yet every time have said they're main priority is music. They want to release a single. They haven't said they want to be in the music industry forever.

Right now, they want to focus on their music. Hopefully, they'll get the oppurtunity to continue doing so (assuming people give them the chance to). They may well (and I don't think anyone would be surprised) be complete flops if they release music, but it doesn't really give anone the right to take that dream away from them. It's not like anyone is being forced to buy their music.

It wouldn't surprise me if they very much follow Sam & Mark's footsteps. One single that will be a success, purely for the entertainment factor. Then they'll either release a follow up, that will flop. Or they'll leave it at just the one single and focus on something completely different.

Signing up a recording artist may be a factor in the show, but it's definately not the WHOLE point. There are plenty of mini factors that contribute to making the show what it is. Entertaining people is one of them.

It's the same argument viewers of ALL these show end up having. Is it about the music, or is it entertainment TV? Is it about someone transforming into a dancer, or is it entertainment TV?

Never, along the way, have I seen every single viewer agree on what they look for. Therefore, catergorically, it's both a singing competition AND an entertianment show. It's totally up to the individual to decide which side they sit on. Doesn't make anyone right or wrong. Just means every viewer has they're on opinion.

The whole point of the X Factor is to sign up a recoridng artist at the end of the show. Fair enough, Jedward were entertaining to watch on the television - but i don't think there's any way that would transpire to radio or to an album. Could anyone honestly listen to an entrie CD of them attempting to sing?

No, they wouldn't do very well signed up to a recording contract (apart from maybe a one-off novelty record) but they don't need that. I can see them being very popular entertainers, particularly in kids' TV land. I think they'll still be around on TV etc long after the other X-factor contestants are forgotten. :)

Archived