Swine Flu

Guest Nathan.

25 confirmed cases in Australia and rising...GREAT. No offence to people in Mexico but why can't they just stay in their own country.

:lol: I think its mainly coming from people holidaying in Mexico and bringing it back :P

and its so funny how the swine flu has practicaally disappeared from the media. Just goes to show that its the usual hype of nothing.

Exactly. Plus, I think they realized it wasn't as bad as they'd prefer for the sake of their headlines. Seriously, more people die from regular flu every year, and anyway the swine flu isn't really more dangerous to the average person than a regular flu. If you're really old, really newborn or coming from very poor and bad conditions it's most likely not going to be any danger for you if you get it in the first place. So generally a good rule would be: If you're able to read the scare-headlines about it, understand the "information" and worry about the risk, then you're not among those who should be worried.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Swine flu is a potential health threat because it is a super bug which can matuate (cant spell) and humans don't know how to treat new mutated genes. But I do think the media will and does portray the swine flu to scare everyone, we don't need to be scared only prepared.

Sorry if I sounded harsh back there saying people in Mexico should stay in their own country. I'm just angry because I don't want the flu to spread into other countries.

Edit: and its so funny how the swine flu has practicaally disappeared from the media. Just goes to show that its the usual hype of nothing.

Well in Australia we are still seeing it on the news.

Well it was hugely in the news last month but now its practically vanished !!

I haven't heard someone mention swine flu in a month , compared to when it was in the papers everyday everybody was talking about it!!

Its just the media making something out of nothing because thats just how the media works

Swine flu is a potential health threat because it is a super bug which can matuate (cant spell) and humans don't know how to treat new mutated genes. But I do think the media will and does portray the swine flu to scare everyone, we don't need to be scared only prepared.

Sorry if I sounded harsh back there saying people in Mexico should stay in their own country. I'm just angry because I don't want the flu to spread into other countries.

Edit: and its so funny how the swine flu has practicaally disappeared from the media. Just goes to show that its the usual hype of nothing.

Well in Australia we are still seeing it on the news.

Most viruses can at some point mutate and become more dangerous though. There's always a risk, but just because this was seen as a potential threat, which it was, just like any other kind of flu virus, and a new one health authorities had to discuss (because it was a new thing) the media blew it out of proportion. The biggest newspaper here printed on their front page that 13 000 Norwegians could die. Well, theoretically 13 000 Norwegians could probably die of pneumonia or regular flu as well, so how come they don't? Because it's a worst case scenario; and because that's things people have heard about and don't fear because they know they most likely can be treated for it, the media doesn't attack the issue and write about it. The swine flu on the other hand, is something new. We haven't heard about it, and when we don't know exactly what it is, we're easy targets for a scare campaign. And scared people buy newspapers in order to find out if they're one of the 13 000 who may or may not die.

Just to illustrate; an average Norwegian guy who returned from Mexico got the swine flu. He wasn't even hospitalized. He was given the regular home treatment you give flu patients, he described his symptoms as regular flu like, and he could stay at home as long as he avoided leaving his apartment in order to avoid spreading to other people. But the guy felt well enough to give an interview, so I doubt he was on his death bed, to put it that way.

I'm not saying it can't be serious for some people, because I'm sure it can be. BUT, I'm saying it's ridiculous to get so worked up over this. Regular flu can also be serious for some people, but all in all, it's not like 13 000 Norwegians are going to drop dead tomorrow. Not British or Australian people either, for that matter. And the whole freakout they had a few weeks ago when they said that about once every century there's a pandemic (or whatever it's called) that kills a lot of people. Well, freak out all you want, but believe it or not - we have had some progress is medicine since 1909.

I dont think the media should exaggerate as to cause panic, but I dont think we should be lax about it either. The ordinary flu kills millions of people each year worlwide, and this is a flu that we all have a certain amount of resistance to. The swine flu is something new and so none of us has resistance to it. I think though, no matter what kind of flu you have, STAY AT HOME. And remember that most viruses are spread through poor handwashing, so wash hands regularly ! It sounds like such a simple thing, but when I went through nursing school the importance of hand washing was drummed into us as poor hand hygeine was the simple biggest cause of cross-infection.

We have quite a number of cases in Victoria Australia where I live. So far as I know not one has even been serious enough to be hospitalised as yet. Some people in other countries like Mexico have died though.

Yeah I know there are heaps of cases in Victoria :(

Last night I had a dream that I was swine flu positive :lol:

I think if you are gonna die from Swine flu and can't recover from it then that will cause me to panic. But if you can recover like the flu then it's no big deal. I don't think scientists are aware of what the virus will do next. It has already matuated from bird - > pigs - > human -> human.

Archived