Swine Flu

Guest Nathan.

I wouldn't worry. Yes, Swine Flu can kill, but so can being hit by a bus or falling down some stairs or whatever. If we worried too much about every seingle thing that could kill us, we'd never leave out houses.

That's so true Amy, i guess i'm just a born worrier :lol:

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its scary because you can easily see how the normal flu travels around from person to person and usually when a normal flus about everyone gets it , so whats stopping the swine flu from spreading like wild fire

I don't understand why the Media are making such a massive deal over the Swine Flu. The death toll is only 16, which is tiny in regards to all the other pandemic's we've had which killed millions. Most people that are getting it recover fine. So why is it only a step away from causing a pandemic? Can someone please explain this? :huh:

^^ I think the standards that people are using to fuel talk of a pandemic is number of cases rather than actual deaths. Last I checked the number of cases was over 100.

I thought a pandemic referred to how far something has spread from its original source?

What you need to remember is that every year in the UK alone several thousand people die from flu. This variant seems to be one where a few people have sadly died - but it may even be less than in any other variants of flu.

Someone also posted that it was a matter of courtesy to wear face mask, which is an understandable conclusion to reach. It is however erroneous to conclude that it is safe. I work in a multidisciplinary team based in a health centre. The advice we are given is that face masks are totally useless. It is must better to sneeze into a tissue and bin it than into a mask and have the mask, which will by now be damp maybe even wet , remain on your face, full of the virus. A mask will not protect you from the virus either as it is transmitted in so many ways and is not just breathed in. If face masks were a good protection there would no MRSA in hospitals - and they are full of it.

There is a lot of panic going on and people do need to keep thing in proportion. The world is not going to come to an end, we are not all going to die, and every one who sneezes is not some sort of leper. Its a flu virus and the world sees a new flu virus at least every 6- 12 months.

It's a big deal. I think some people don't think it's a big deal... but it is.

We're expecting a huge pandemic to wipe out quite a lot of people. It happens every so often... one I can think of is the spanish influenza. We're overdue a massive flu pandemic, so when birdies started dying we panicked. We thought it was gonna be bird flu that would get us - that's why everyone went a little bit nuts over it. But... I don't think the flu ever transferred from human to human... just birds to humans. Swine flu has been around for ages, and humans close to them could get it... but now its mutated in a way that bird flu didn't and so we can pass it on. But it's not something we're used to, and although curable, it might not be for much longer if it keeps moving about. The more it moves the more chance it mutates into something we can't stop. That's when the problem occurs.

Even if it doesn't mutate (which it probably will if loads of people get it) then we've still got the problem of it spreading like crazy. Untreated it can kill you, as shown. If too many people get it, we can't cure them all. Lots of people will die. But it won't be AS bad as the other flus have been because we're like.. expertios now. We have lots of knowledge. However... it's still kind of scary. The scientists aren't gonna get cocky. :P Hence the big deal and the dramaticness.

I totally get why everyone's panicking though - and so they should. If their panic saves one life it'll be worth it. :/

Archived