Morag

Guest Frankie

Morag has changed quite a lot since the early days. In her original incarnation Morag did not have a soft side, and was the arch schemer of her day. Today whilst that waspish tongue is as sharp as ever she has mellowed, her love for her family is much more evident than it was in the old days. I like the transition and that we see more than just the one dimensional standard soap villainess. What do others think?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never saw Morag when she was a villain, but I can definitely see that there are traces of it still in her. She very rarely stands for truth, justice, and Australian way out of the goodness of her own heart, it has to be something more of a personal vendetta; she wants to beat someone at their own game, and more than that, she wants them to suffer for ever trying to oppose her in the first place. She takes a near sadistic pleasure in every victory she has. And that's why I like her :D

Bit of a plug, but you should read the interview at Summer Bay Journal, with Cornelia Frances, its awesome! www.summerbayjournal.com - and in interviews!

I agree she’s mellowed, and we haven’t really seen why on screen, though we have had bits and pieces thrown at us over the last few years as to why she may have mellowed, but nothing solid.

I LOVE Morag, loved her when she was much more of a seemingly cold hearted bitch, to just about everyone in her life, but I agree Cornelia has definitely carried that threw, even if it is a one liner, she sticks to Morag’s original character and draws her out of every line, and love her just as much today as I did pre-04.

I say seemingly, because she did have ‘exposed’ moments, even when she was the original bitch. She’s complex, has a huge amount of depth, I never have or did see her as one dimensional whatsoever.

I've always thought Morag is a fantastic character. I put that down to her staying true to her 'old ways'. Morag is known for being feisty when she is fighting for something, and still to this day, her character has got that trait in her. She has definately softened over the years, but I don't think that's a bad thing, as the 'old' Morag is still there...I can tell :P. One of my favourite storylines in recent years, is that of the Amanda/Josh/Project 56 buisness. It was the perfect storyline to involve her, because it needed someone to, 'solve it'.

So, do I prefer the old Morag or the more mellow Morag?...I would say the more mellow Morag, as she is still the old Morag...but calmer :P.

Morag is a great character. Too bad she is not in the show more often.

I prefer the more mellow Morag too. She was quite nasty in the old days, didn't care about anything or anyone, not even her own daughter.

Her against Amanda and Josh was one of my favorite storylines too.

One of my favourite things about 'The New Morag' is that she is a compassionate, sensitive character, but she can still scare the (insert expletive here) out of anyone.

That is so true! Around family and friends she's usually 'normal' :P but if something isn't quite right, she'll scare the life out of anyone in her way :lol:. She should be a regular cast member IMO.

Morag was always a a complex character, and this is largely thanks to Cornelia; for had Morag been played by any one else she would not have been anything more thatn one dimensional in my opinion.. Cornelia gave her the edge, as in the early days she was very entertaining but I don't think the writing as such imbued her with any where near the depth which Cornelia gave to her. She has been written more sympathetically and with more complexity over the last 5 years or so, and Cornelai has brought thous out brilliantly. In the early years she was fantastic in the context of the show as it was then. I like the way we have seen her flaws and her problems with relationships in recent years.

No one can do put downs like Morag.

Archived