This Old Love

Guest KaitieL

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stephy, this is for you. I guess annoying me does get you somewhere. :P I’m sure this chapter will make some of you happy.

Warning: One or two swear words.

Chapter 12

Four days later...

Martha slipped quietly out the back door, hoping that no one would notice. It was the day of Alf's funeral and after the service, friends and family had headed back to the house for the wake. She was sick and tired of people asking how she was coping and Martha was starting to feel like she was suffocating. She needed some peace and quiet. Martha wandered aimlessly until she reached a familiar destination. It was the cliffs, where her and Jack shared their first kiss. Martha smiled as she sat down and stared out at the ocean.

Martha thought back to a few days ago. After they had received Rachel's phone call; her, Ric and Morag rushed down to the hospital. They reached there just in time to say goodbye. Martha couldn't believe he was gone and what was worse was the fact that she had lied to him in his last days. Martha knew she needed to put her baby and health ahead of everything else and tell Jack the truth but it wasn't that easy. She still hadn't told him about the divorce papers yet.

Deep in thought, Martha was brought back to Earth by a hand on her shoulder. Turning around she looked up at the figure and smiled. It was almost as if he knew she needed to talk to him.

“I'm not interrupting anything, am I?” asked Jack.

“Not at all,” Martha replied.

Jack sat down next to her. “I'm so sorry about Alf,” he said. “How are you holding up?”

“Ok, I guess,” she answered. “I knew it was coming, but it's still hard.” Martha sighed.

Jack put his arm around her. “I'm here if you need me.”

“Thanks,” she said as she rested her head on his shoulder. Martha paused and thought about mentioning the divorce papers. Maybe it wasn’t the best time to but it needed sorting out and the sooner, the better. “Actually, there is something I need to talk to you about.”

“Ok, sure. Go ahead,” he told her.

Martha drew in a deep breath. “It's about the divorce,” she announced. Martha looked up at Jack yet she failed to read the look on his face. “The papers have been lost, so we have to refile,” she continued. “I'm so sorry Jack.”

Jack let out a sigh. “It's not your fault. Sam is not going to be happy when she hears about this.”

“How are things between you two?” Martha asked, genuinely concerned.

“No too good,” Jack looked down at the ground. “She's been having a hard time ever since you came back. She blames you for the miscarriage,” he admitted.

Martha gasped and pulled away from him. “Do you blame me?” She wanted to know.

“No of course I don't,” Jack answered quickly. “Look I don't want to talk about Sam anymore. Can we change the subject please? I heard you had a bit of a scare last week,” he continued. “Is everything alright with the baby?”

“Where did you head that?” she demanded.

“Rachel,” he answered. “She mentioned something about it the other day. She's worried that you won't be able to cope with the stress.”

Martha looked horrified. “She had no right to tell you that,” she started to panic. Martha knew that Rachel wouldn't tell Jack, but she still was still scared of him finding out.

“Hey, calm down,” he said. “She's just worried about you.”

Martha calmed down. “I know she is, but I just don't appreciate her going around telling people about my medical condition.”

Jack laughed. “She hardly was. Rachel was just concerned about you. Martha, I live with her and if I hadn't of heard it from her, I'm sure I would have from someone else.” Jack put his arm back around her. “So, do you want to talk about it?”

Martha shook her head. “Not really... Maybe.” She looked at Jack and let the tears flow. “I lied to grandad about something before he died. I regret it and now I can't take it back.”

Jack pulled her in closer. “Hey, it's ok,” he soothed.

“No it's not,” she snapped. “I lied to him, plain and simple.”

“I’m sure you had good reason to,” he stated. “What was it about?”

Martha paused, hesitating to tell him the truth. “He thought we were still married. I tried to tell him the truth, but it only made him upset. Finally I just gave in and told him we were still married.” She decided to leave out one minor detail; the baby.

“Well, technically we still are,” Jack smiled. “So you really didn't lie to him.”

For the first time in days, Martha laughed. “Yeah I guess so.”

“Come on, let's go for a walk,” Jack said as stood up. He put out his hands and offered to help her up. Martha accepted and he pulled her up, causing her to overbalance and fall into him.

“Sorry,” she mumbled as she looked up at him and stared into his eyes. No matter what situation, Jack always managed to make her smile; he was always there for her. Without thinking, Martha leaned in and placed her lips on Jack's.

Jack eagerly responded to the kiss and placed his hands on Martha's cheeks, pulling her in closer. In that moment the past was forgotten. It felt right; the way things were supposed to be. The kiss deepened and neither of them noticed the figure standing in the distance watching the pair.

Martha was the first to pull away with a look of pure shame on her face. Jack stared deep into Martha's eyes, desperately trying to read the look on her face. Jack was mad at himself for taking advantage of a vulnerable Martha. He wanted to know what she was feeling; what this meant. What she mad at him? Before he could ask any questions, he heard a rustling noise behind him. His head snapped around, just in time to see Sam run away. Crap, he thought.

Jack broke away from Martha and started chasing after Sam. “Sam,” he called out. “Sam, wait. Let me explain.”

A dejected Martha watched as Jack ran after Sam. She was horrified that not only had she just kissed Jack, but Sam had witnessed the whole thing. Martha prayed Roman wouldn't find out. After his outburst the other day, she wasn't sure how he would take this.

“Sam!” Jack called out after her. “Sam, just wait. I can explain.”

Sam stopped suddenly and turned around. “Oh yeah, can you? I would love to hear your explanation.” She laughed bitterly.

“Martha was upset about Alf. She didn't mean it.” Jack looked down at his feet immediately regretting his decision to completely blame Martha for the situation. It was just as much his fault as it was hers but he didn't see any other way out. He didn't want to make Sam anymore upset than what she already was.

“Do you think I'm stupid?” she yelled at him, indignant. “You really expect me to believe that that kiss was one sided?”

“Sam,” started Jack as he grabbed her arm.

“Don't you dare,” she glared at him, as she pulled her arm away from him. “I'm going to the city to stay with my sister for a few days and I'm taking Rory. I can't be around you right now Jack.”

Jack opened his mouth to reply when Sam interrupted him again. “Don't please. I don't want to hear it.” With that she turned around and walked away.

Jack thought about going after her, but changed his mind. Maybe they needed time apart, all they seemed to be doing lately was fight; it might actually do them some good. Jack walked back to where he had left Martha, but the place was deserted. She was long gone. Great, he thought. Not only had he pissed off Sam, but god knows what this had done to Martha. He'd go and visit her tomorrow and apologise, but for now he just wanted time to himself to think.

Next Chapter: Alcohol + Jack = ??? I'm not giving anything more away. :D

Yay, finally they kissed! :wub: how cute.

Sam of living hell just go away to your sisters and never come back ! :ph34r:

Aw, yes very good, Jack gets drunk, so he can go see Martha, and then they kiss again, and sleep together!! :wink: That sounds awesome

Loved this chapter!! :wub:

More soon please :)

Alcohol + Jack = a drunk Jack? :wink:

Sorry :lol: I really shouldnt be so cheeky at times :P

Great chapter, glad they kissed. And I'm also glad that 'she who will remain nameless' has decided to gather up her belongings and make for the city :D

Hopefully she'll stay there!!!

More please :)

you know i love a drunk Jack more than anything, but why does Martha have to be pregnant. It would have been perfect if they got drunk together <_<

Great chapter.

A kiss :wub: But stupid Sam had to ruin the moment <_< At least it wasnt Roman, he would have surely thumped Jack :P

More please soon :) And the other fic too

Ok, so the next chapter is almost done. Problem is it's 7 pages in word and it's still not finished. Eek, I didn't realise it was so long. So I'm wondering whether to post it all as one, or split it into two. Are you peeps going to be bored if it's really long? Let me know, I'll probably get around to posting it tomorrow night.

Ok, so the next chapter is almost done. Problem is it's 7 pages in word and it's still not finished. Eek, I didn't realise it was so long. So I'm wondering whether to post it all as one, or split it into two. Are you peeps going to be bored if it's really long? Let me know, I'll probably get around to posting it tomorrow night.

Just post it all in one :P I wont get bored. :)

Aww,dam i was hoping you could post it tonight!! haha your such a bloody tease!!

I thought you had updated it already :lol:

7 pages :o And its not even finished yet!!??

Omg! lol, the most I've ever posted is 6, and I'm like the queen of rambling :P

I may have to step down though if yours is over 7 lol

Hmm, well, its your call really.

I'm up for anything :D

Ooo, BUT, if you split it, does that mean you'd post today? ^_^ hehe

Archived