This Old Love

Guest KaitieL

I wasn't expecting an update so quickly but I'm glad you did. :D Great chapter!

I hate Sam! I bet she's faking her pregnancy. <_< She would do anything to make sure Jack stayed with her. If I'm right, Jack is going to realise it sooner or later and he will be very angry.

Jack could have been a bit nicer to Martha. No need to talk to her like that.

Martha can't leave. :( Please tell me someone will stop her. I have a feeling it won't be Jack because he doesn't even want to talk to her. :unsure: And it definitely won't be Sam. :rolleyes:

Please update soon.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Because it’s been awhile since I first started this fic, I’ve changed a few things. Cassie has left, but she went to the city to live with Jules. She is not pregnant, no HIV and Henk never happened. Also, the place that Jack was referring to in the first chapter (the one he bought) was the pad. In case anyone was wondering.

Chapter 5

Alf walked in the diner flat to find a flustered Martha desperately trying to close her suitcase, clothes surrounding her. She failed to notice her grandfathers’ presence.

“What the flamin’ heck is going on here, love?” he inquired.

Startled, Martha looked up at him. “Um, I was looking to getting away for a few days. I was thinking about visiting Cassie. Her and Jules invited me a few weeks ago.”

“A few days!” he exclaimed. “Why do you need your whole wardrobe if you’re just going for a few days? What’s going on Martha?”

“Nothing,” she lied, afraid that if she were to look him in the eyes, she would break down again.

“Martha,” warned Alf. “You tell me right now what’s going on, or else.”

Martha sighed. There was no use keeping it from him, he was going to find out sooner or later and she needed to tell someone before it ate her up inside. So, as her and her grandfather sat on her bed, the whole story came pouring out; Jack and Sam getting engaged, both her and Sam being pregnant and the fact that she was yet to tell Jack that they weren’t yet divorced, let alone that they were having a baby together. Saying it all out loud made Martha realise how pathetic the situation was. Jack was never going to come back to her and she was going to have to face life as a single parent.

“Strewth love!” was all Alf could manage.

“I’m sorry grandad,” sobbed Martha. “I know you must be disappointed in me.”

“I’m not disappointed,” he reassured her. “But I don’t think running away is the right thing to do. It’s not going to solve your problems. You need to tell Jack everything and sort it out. He has a right to know.”

“I know, but I just can’t face him. Not now,” said Martha. “I called Auntie Morag before and she’s going to sort the divorce out for me. Jack doesn’t have to know about that at least. And, well, I don’t know when I’ll be ready to tell him about the baby. All I know is that I need to get away from it all. How long for, I don’t know yet. The stress isn’t good for me and the baby. I’ll come back when I’m ready. You understand, don’t you?”

“Yeah, of course I do,” he answered. “So when do you plan on leaving?”

“This afternoon,” she replied. “The sooner I get out of here, the better.”

Alf nodded. “At least let me help you pack.”

After Alf had helped her finish packing, he insisted on loading the car for her, saying that she shouldn’t be doing any heavy lifting. She received a lecture about how she needed to take better care of herself from now on and for once Martha didn’t argue. She knew he was right.

After a tearful goodbye, she made her way to the drivers’ seat. Collecting herself, she started the engine and drove off. Passing the ‘You are now leaving Summer Bay’ sign, Martha lost all control, tears streaming down her flushed cheeks. She couldn’t believe she had been so gutless to run away from her problems like that. But she knew deep down, it was for the best. Martha could handle been rejected by the man she loved, but she would never risk exposing her child to that same pain and heartache. Jack had his own family and future and she knew that their unborn child would never be apart of that future.

Sorry for the short chapter guys, but I didn’t want to ramble too much and I’m skipping forward in the next chapter, so yeah. This was just a bit of a fill in.

• 3 weeks later...

Warning, content maybe unsuitable.

Chapter 6

Three Months Later...

"Are you sure you want to do this?" He asked.

"Positive," she affirmed. "I have to go back. I have no choice."

"Well, I better start packing," he said. "I can't wait to meet your friends and family. I only wish it was under better circumstances."

Martha smiled sadly at the man before. She was lucky to have him. Never in her wildest dreams did she think that a man like him would pay any attention to her, let alone love her. Martha thought back to the day when she met him.

Flashback

It was a couple of weeks after she left the bay, she was lonely and depressed despite Cassie's best efforts to cheer her up. She hated been couped up in the house all day, it was so lonely and cold so most days were spent wandering the streets, trying to take her mind of things. Until one day, she had been so far off in her own little world; she collided with a tall figure. He reached out to catch her before she fell. Martha looked up and found herself staring into his warm, familiar looking, chocolate eyes.

"Jack," she whispered.

"Actually, it's Roman. But nice try," answered the stranger.

Martha mentally shook herself and cursed for making a fool of herself in front of a complete stranger. He probably thought she was crazy. "Sorry, I was off in my own little world. By the way, I'm Martha," trying desperately to save herself from further embarrassment.

"Nice to meet you Martha," replied Roman. "So what brings you around this side of town?"

Martha looked around and took in her surroundings and noticed that she was practically in the middle of nowhere. Well, it was the industrial side of town but it may as well have been nowhere. Not the she minded. "Trying to get my mind off the father of my baby, who happens to be my ex husband, well husband at the moment while my auntie puts the divorce through, who's now engaged and expecting a baby with his fiancé, who's a total bitch," Martha spat out. It seemed to make her feel better getting it all out to a complete stranger. She looked up and noticed an odd look on Roman's face. "You think I'm crazy, don't you?" She asked.

"No, not at all," he paused. "Well maybe a little," he laughed. "Want to talk more about it? I've been told I'm a good listener."

"Nah, it's ok," she said as she shook her head. "I should be getting home anyway. People will start to wonder where I've gone and you look like you should be working," said Martha, noticing that she was actually standing outside the steel mill.

"Let me drive you," he offered. "The boss won't notice if I knock off a little early."

Martha couldn't believe the kindness of the stranger. She knew he thought that she was crazy but he seemed too polite to admit it. "Sure," she replied. "You don't have to, but thanks."

"No problems. It will be my pleasure. Maybe, if you feel like it, you can tell me more about this 'situation' you're in," he suggested.

From then on, their friendship grew into something more and Martha was grateful to have him. He was her rock and he gradually helped her get over the pain of losing Jack. Now, she needed him more than ever after receiving a devastating phone call from Ric, informing her that Alf had cancer and the prognosis wasn't good. After bawling her eyes out, she decided she had to go back and if she ran into Jack, she would deal with it. Her grandfather needed her and she wasn't going to let her own problems get in the way of that. Martha immediately regretted leaving without thinking her decision through properly, maybe then this wouldn't be happening and she would have more time left with her grandad.

Martha laid down on the couch and put her feet. She was now six months pregnant and very much showing. She was forever complaining that she looked and felt like a whale and knew that she was only going to get bigger. Roman was such a sweetie and told her no matter what, she would always look beautiful to him. He’d offered to support her and the baby, even though he didn't have too. Some days she couldn't believe after everything that she had been through, that she was lucky to have found someone like Roman.

Martha was just drifting off to sleep when a loud knock woke her. Realising it was someone knocking on the door, she called out to Roman to answer it. She did not want to move. The knocking grew into banging and was becoming more insistent. Roman failed to appear and Martha realised that he must have had his music too loud on his iPod and that she would have to get up. Groaning, as she rolled off the couch, she called out, "Coming!" Peeved that person was clearly impatient. Opening the door, she found herself face to face with the person she least expected.

"Jack!" she exclaimed, surprised at his sudden appearance. "What are you doing here?" He looked majorly pissed off.

Without the angry expression fading from his face, he callously stared deep into her eyes and asked, "Care to explain how we can still be married when I thought we were divorced?"

Next Chapter: Jack and Martha talk, but do they do much talking? When he notices that Martha's pregnant and starts to asks questions, will she fold and tell him the truth? And Martha returns to the bay... looks like she won't have to worry about running into Jack now after all. :P

Archived