This Old Love

Guest KaitieL

"Trying to get my mind off the father of my baby, who happens to be my ex husband, well husband at the moment while my auntie puts the divorce through, who's now engaged and expecting a baby with his fiancé, who's a total bitch," Martha spat out. It seemed to make her feel better getting it all out to a complete stranger. She looked up and noticed an odd look on Roman's face. "You think I'm crazy, don't you?" She asked.

"No, not at all," he paused. "Well maybe a little," he laughed. "Want to talk more about it? I've been told I'm a good listener."

Love that part. Martha telling her life story to a complete stranger. :)

Roman is such a sweet guy. :wub: He's going to support them.

Alf's got cancer. :(

Jack is angry. I hope he won't get even more angry with Martha when/if she tells him it's his baby. <_< She should tell him, he deserves to know the truth.

More please.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martha looked up and found herself staring into his warm, familiar looking, chocolate eyes.

"Jack," she whispered.

"Actually, it's Roman. But nice try," answered the stranger.

:lol: I actually thought that was Jack for a second lol.

Damn Roman lol. But he's so lovely. I cant help but adore him :wub:

Jacks at the door :o

The next chapter sounds great!

Do they do much talking? ... Why did I think of something naughty then :P

I have such a dirty mind :rolleyes: lol

Please update soon!

Here's the next chapter peeps. Sorry Rach, there's nothing naughty in it. :P

Warning: Content may be unsuitable for young readers.

Chapter 7

"Why are we still married?" Jack repeated.

Martha was speechless and couldn't quite comprehend what Jack was saying. Here was the man that she loved and tried desperately so hard to get over, standing right in front of her. It all got too much for her. Martha could start to feel the colour drain from her face and all of a sudden, everything started to go black. She reached out and frantically tried to find something to hold onto to stop her from falling. The last thing she saw was Jack's face before darkness took over.

"Martha! Wake up!" Jack yelled. "Can you hear me?" Reaching her just before she had hit the floor, he cradled Martha in his arms. Jack picked her up and carried her over to the couch. He laid her down, concern and guilt washing over him. He shouldn't have barged in like that. Forgetting everything that had happened between them in the past, he prayed that she would wake up and be okay.

"What the hell is going on here?" Roman demanded, as he came rushing out at the sound of the commotion. He saw Martha passed out on the couch. "Martha, are you okay? Wake up baby," he pleaded. When he failed to response, he looked up and glared at a stunned Jack. "Who do you think you are?" He shouted, as he made his way over to Jack.

All Jack could do was just stand there like a fool. His head was spinning. Roman grabbed Jack's shirt and pushed him up against the wall. "Who are you and what have you done to my girlfriend?" Roman shouted. Before Jack could answer, Roman raised his fist and connected it with Jack's face. Quickly realising his mistake, Roman stepped back in and shook his head in disbelief. He shouldn't have let his anger get the better of him.

Jack reached his hand up to his face and touched his wound with his fingers. He looked down at his fingers and saw blood. The bastard had made him bleed and now he was pissed off. Who did this guy think he was? A wave of jealously suddenly hit him, he didn't even know Martha had a boyfriend. If this guy wanted a fight, then he was going to get one from Jack.

"The name's Jack. Constable Jack Holden," he stated, making sure he emphasised the Constable part. "You're under arrest for assaulting a Police Officer." He pulled out his badge and flashed it in Roman's face. Before Roman could respond, Jack grabbed his arm, twisted it behind his back before slamming Roman's face into the floor. "Not so tough now, are you?" Jack added, as he dug his knee in Roman's back.

"Wait," Roman pleaded. "I'm sorry, I didn't realise you were one of Martha's friends. Can you let me up please?"

"Apologising isn't going to get you off," Jack said. He sighed, he knew he'd overreacted. Jack just couldn't get over the fact that Martha had a boyfriend. He didn't know where the jealously was coming from. He was in love with Sam. Sam, he repeated to himself. Jack released Roman from his grip. "Look, I'm sorry..." Jack started to apologise.

Roman interrupted. "Let's just forget it, yeah. I get a little overprotective of her sometimes, especially with the baby on the way."

"Baby?" Jack asked, looking confused. What was this guy on about?

"Yeah, Martha's pregnant," he looked at Jack as if he was stupid.

"Pregnant," Jack repeated. He looked over at Martha, lying on the couch. Sure enough there was an unmistaken bump protruding from her stomach. Why hadn't he noticed? Before Jack could ask anymore questions, he and Roman were interrupted by the sound of Martha murmuring.

"Roman," muttered Martha. Roman rushed over to her.

"I'm here baby," he said as he soothed her. "Are you okay? Can I get you anything?"

"I'm fine," she reassured him, as she sat up. "Just a bit of a dizzy spell, the doctor said that can happen. I'm fine, really." She continued, "I had the weirdest dream..." Martha's voice trailed off. She looked up and her eyes met with Jack's, realising that it wasn't just a dream. There Jack was, standing there right in front of her, staring at her growing stomach with his mouth hanging open. He was clearly in a state of shock. Martha panicked. What if he knew she was pregnant with his baby? She covered her stomach with her arms and cleared her throat.

"So you got yourself knocked up the minute you left town?" Jack couldn't help himself. Part of him was horrified with himself for it to come out like that, but he had to know.

"Excuse me!" Martha gasped.

"I'm sorry," Jack apologised. "But I just can't believe that you'd be so careless Martha."

Martha stared at him in disbelief. She just wanted to come out and tell him that they baby was his. That he was the careless one. But she knew she couldn't. "Look, Roman and I didn't plan it but it just happened. It was an accident and we're dealing with it." Martha looked at Roman, silently pleading with him to go along with it. They'd never really discussed it, but he was going to support her so why not let people think he was the babys' father. It was better than the alternative. Jack had his own life with Sam and Martha didn't want to be responsible for taking that away from him.

"Yeah, these things happen," said Roman, reading Martha's mind. "What can you do? I couldn't leave Martha like that, it wouldn't be right." The truth was he was looking forward to the baby coming and thought of it as his own. Martha had told him about her complicated history with Jack and although he didn't agree with her decision not to tell him, he'd agreed to support her. And that's exactly what he was going to do.

"Anyway, I have to finish packing," Roman continued. "I'll let you two catch up." He kissed Martha on the forehead and said to her, "If you need anything, let me know." With that he turned away and entered the bedroom.

"So the divorce hasn't gone through?" Martha asked, as she rubbed her forehead. She could feel a headache coming on. She thought Aunty Morag had dealt with it. Obviously not. This is just what she needed.

"Huh?" Jack said, still in a state of shock. "Um... yeah, no it hasn't. Sam and I lodged out intent to marry and they said we couldn't get married because I was still married to you. What the hell Martha, I thought we had sorted this out?" He demanded. Jack was not happy.

Martha looked at him. How was she going to tell him that she'd ripped up the papers because she was still in love with him?

Martha blurted out the first lie that came to her. "They must have got lost in the mail. When I didn't hear anything back from the lawyer to say that it had gone through, I rang. He said they never received them, so I called Aunty Morag to sort it out. I thought she would have called me, but I've been busy with other things. I'll give her a call later." Martha knew she was rambling but she couldn't help it. She was nervous that Jack was going to find out the truth. She hoped that he didn't see through her lies.

"Fine, but fix it," he ordered. "Sam knows but she's not happy. I promised her that I'd sort it out and that it was probably just a misunderstanding. This is the last thing she needs after everything that's happened."

"Is she ok?" Martha asked, not that she really cared but she felt she had to pretend she did. "How is she holding up with the pregnancy and everything?"

Jack looked down, afraid to let Martha see the tears in his eyes. "She lost it," he said simply.

"Oh Jack, I'm so sorry," Martha sympathised. She couldn’t imagine what they were going through.

"Don't pretend you care Martha," Jack shouted angrily. "It wouldn't have happened if it weren't for you. If you had just sorted out the divorce months ago, then it wouldn't have happened! It's all your fault!" How could it possibly be Martha's fault, he asked himself. He knew it wasn't, but it was easier to blame someone else than facing the truth; that there was nothing he could have done to stop it from happening. No one was to blame. "Make sure you tell your boyfriend that the assault charge still stands. And sort out the divorce. After that I never want to see you again." He stormed out, slamming the door on his way out.

Martha could feel the warm tears falling down her cheeks. She'd never seen Jack so angry and upset before. She knew he really didn't blame her but it still hurt to hear him say those words. Martha always thought that somehow Jack would find out the truth about the baby and it would bring them together. Sure, Roman was sweet, but deep down she knew he wasn't the one for her, Jack was and now she'd completely blown any chance she had with him. She looked down at her stomach and rubbed it. "It looks like it's just you and me little tyke," she whispered.

Roman appeared in the lounge room with two suitcases in his hands. "Ready?" He asked.

Martha nodded her head. "Let's go home."

Martha stretched as she got out of the car. It had been a long trip for her and she'd felt every bump. Martha breathed in the salty air and immediately felt better. It was like all of her problems had faded away. She was where she belonged. Martha was home.

Note - I had plans to bring in Martha's boyfriend and the whole him pretending to be the father from the start.

Way before I knew about the whole paternity gate crap that will be coming.

And Roman seemed to ge a good idea at the time. I don't know why. I hate him. But yeah.

Next Chapter - Martha dodges questions about her pregnancy but has she fooled everyone?

Comments please.

Jack just couldn't get over the fact that Martha had a boyfriend. He didn't know where the jealously was coming from. He was in love with Sam. Sam, he repeated to himself.

If he has to repeat he's in love with Sam, then there's a problem. :rolleyes: He still loves Martha and he always will, whether he likes it or not. :D

"So you got yourself knocked up the minute you left town?" Jack couldn't help himself. Part of him was horrified with himself for it to come out like that, but he had to know.

"Excuse me!" Martha gasped.

"I'm sorry," Jack apologised. "But I just can't believe that you'd be so careless Martha."

Jack is so rude. I can't believe he said something like that. If only he knew the truth, he'd be really sorry. <_<

Blaming Martha for Sam's "miscarriage" was awful. Besides, Sam probably faked the whole thing. <_<

I wonder if everyone will believe what she's saying in the next chapter. :unsure:

More please.

Archived