This Old Love

Guest KaitieL

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tash, yes Sam knows Martha is pregnant and suspects that it's Jack's.

I really don't know how long I'm going to make this, but I'm going to try and keep it to no more than 20 chapters.

Warning, this chapter is crap. I'm tired and I don't like it. I just want to get this finished.

Chapter 11

"Feeling better?" Martha heard a voice ask as her eyes flickered open. She looked over and was met by the sight of Rachel standing over her, checking her IV drip.

"What happened?" Martha asked as she sat up in the bed.

"You fainted," Rachel informed her.

Suddenly Martha remembered what had happened. She felt her stomach and started to panic. "The baby?"

"The baby is fine as far as I know," Rachel reassured her. "I'll do an ultrasound just to double check ok. But the heartbeat is perfectly healthy." She told her as she prepared the machine.

Martha breathed a sigh of relief. "Thank god."

"Now Martha, this is going to be a bit cold," Rachel warned as she pulled up Martha top to reveal her swollen belly and proceeded to rub the gel on, causing Martha to wince. Rachel studied the image on the screen and frowned.

Martha noticed the look on her friends face. "What is it?" she asked, alarmed. "What's wrong with the baby?"

"How far along are you Martha?" asked Rachel, her eyes not moving from the screen.

"Twenty four weeks," Martha answered feebly.

Rachel looked at her in disbelief. "Really," she started. "Because the baby I'm looking at on here looks to be at least thirty weeks. What's going on Martha?" Rachel demanded.

Martha looked down in shame. She didn't even know why she had bothered to try and lie to a doctor, of all people. "You have to promise not to tell anyone," she whispered. Martha drew in a deep breath. "Roman's not the father, I'm just telling people that so they won't ask me questions about who the real father is. I don't want him to know," explained Martha.

"Who is the father?" Rachel questioned. Martha didn't meet her eyes. "It's Jack, isn't it?"

Martha nodded. "Please don't tell him. He's happy with Sam and Rory. I'm not ruining it for him," Martha begged her. "This would just be an inconvenience for him. And Roman's prepared to be there for us. It all works out."

"I'm sure Jack would want to know if he was going to be a father," Rachel advised. "You have to tell him Martha. All this lying isn't good for you or the baby. You just fainted. Is this the first time it's happened?"

Martha shook her head in response. "Once before."

"What about any dizziness, nausea, headaches?" Rachel inquired.

"I've been getting headaches every now and then," she replied. "The dizziness and nausea I thought was just normal.' Martha paused. "What's with all the questions, Rachel?"

Rachel looked her with a concerned look on her face. "I'm a bit concerned about the swelling in your hands in face. Now some swelling is normal, but this seems a little excessive. I'm just waiting back on a few tests first. How about we wait until they come back?" She said.

Martha looked down her hands folded in her lap and started to cry. She knew something was wrong and it was her fault. "It's all my fault. I've hurt the baby haven't I?" she sobbed.

"Hey, you haven't done anything wrong. Come on, it's not your fault," soothed Rachel as she rubbed Martha's arm.

A nurse knocked on the door. "Dr Armstrong, labs are back for Ms McKenzie," she informed her. Rachel grabbed the file off her and opened to see the results. A look of worry covered Rachel's face that didn't go without Martha noticing.

"What is it Rach?" Martha asked, alarmed.

Rachel sat down next to Martha. "You have a condition what we call pre-eclampsia Martha. All the symptoms point to it and the tests confirm it."

"My baby?" Martha asked as she started crying again.

"You and your baby are going to be fine, provided you take some precautions," Rachel warned her. "Now you have a couple of options. Usually we like to closely monitor the situation and keep you here for observation."

Martha shook her head firmly. "I am not spending the rest of the pregnancy being a prisoner in this hospital."

"Ok," Rachel backed down. "But you're going to have to do what I say and any sign of trouble, you come straight here ok? That means strict bed rest and especially no stress whatsoever," Rachel ordered. "Now you're going to have to come in for check ups every week and if the baby is in any danger, then we'll have no choice but to deliver."

"But it's way too early," Martha panicked.

"Don't panic just yet," Rachel assured her. "The longer we leave it, the better the chance the baby has of surviving. Even if we had to do it now, I'm confident. The baby looks strong and healthy. Now stop worrying."

"Ok. Thank you," Martha said gratefully, as she wiped away her tears. "Can I go now?"

"Sure, I'll go get your paper work and you're free to go. But remember what I said. Oh and I called Roman and he’s on his way," informed Rachel.

"Thanks. Um and can you not tell anyone about the baby please," said Martha.

"Martha, you know I couldn't even if I wanted," Rachel responded.

"Thanks again," Martha repeated.

"No problem," said Rachel. "But if you want my advice, the best thing for you and your baby is to tell Jack the truth."

"Here, lie down," ordered Roman as he cleared the couch off for Martha.

Martha shot him a dirty look. "I'm not a child," she snapped.

"I know," he said. "But you know what Rachel said; you need plenty of rest."

Martha sighed as she sat down. "I know, but I know how to look after myself. She thinks I should tell Jack about the baby," she told him.

Martha watched as Roman's face turned from concern to red with anger. "No" he shouted. "You can't. As far as I'm concerned, this baby is mine and he has no claim on it," he ranted. "We've already agreed on this Martha; you can't back down now."

Martha looked up at him. She'd never seen him this angry before and she was scared. Roman noticed the look of fear on her face and was quick to apologise. "I'm sorry Martha. It's just that, even though he or she isn't here yet, I've grown to love the baby as if it were my own. I don't want to lose it or you." He sat down next to her and hugged her.

Martha hugged him back. "I'm sorry too. I wasn't thinking of you. I'm not going to say anything, I promise."

Roman smiled at her. "I can't wait to marry you. I love you."

"I love you too," Martha replied. But deep down, something didn't quite feel right. Maybe Roman wasn't the kind, gentle man she thought he was after all. The moment was interrupted by the phone ringing. Roman stood up and answered. His face fell as he listened to the voice on the other end.

"Ok, I'll let them know," he said. Roman hung up the phone and sat back down next to Martha.

"It's grandad, isn't it?" she asked even though she already knew the answer to the question.

Roman nodded his head. "I'm sorry Martha. Rachel said you should come down as soon as possible. He doesn't have much longer."

Martha started sobbing as Roman embraced her. Her tears stained his shirt. She didn't think that this day would come so fast. But here it was. It was time for her to say good bye.

Next chapter: A kiss? And bye bye Alf.

Whats pre-eclampsia?

Poor Martha, she doesnt need stress, and she loses her grandfather :(

And please dont make Roman evil :(

I hope its a kiss between Jack and Martha :wub:

Great chapter

More soon please :)

Whoops, I guess I should have explained it better. It's a medical condition where pregnant women have high amounts of protein in their urine and have high blood pressure. Fainting, headaches, nausea, swelling etc are symptons. It can be dangerous to both mother and baby and is one of the most common pregnancy complications. The only cure for it is to deliver the baby.

Katie, please get Roman out off the way. Please of living god, He's nice, but I mean c'mon only Jack and Martha belong together.

OH and don't even mention Sam. golly gosh

Nooooo, Alf can't die.. :( Dont kill Alf, you big meany.

Awww :wub: A KISS?! It better be Jack and Martha kissing, not Jack and Sam or Martha and Roman :angry:

It better be Jack and Martha, Or i will hurt you :ph34r:

HA HA HA :P

Great update, But more J&M scenes please!!

If I'm nice, you'll get your way in the next chapter. Or I could just be teasing you because, well, it's fun.

:o really, So you will kill Roman and Sam off, or you could get Roman and Sam together and then they can leave the Bay. And then secondly dont let Alf die, and then thirdly get J&M together.. yes yes that should be good :P :P

Archived