This Old Love

Guest KaitieL

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this fic ..

I've read it but I didn't comment.. Wtf is wrong with me ?? :lol:

Aww poor Martha, Stop being a arsehole Jack !

I wonder what he will do when he find's out its his ! :lol:

Hopefully Jack find's out and will be 'NICE' to Martha this time !!! lol.

Update soon. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just for you Tasha, since you asked so nicely. I was going to update last night, but I was sick and went to bed early. Enjoy!

Chapter 8

"Ok, thanks Aunty Morag. I'll talk to you later." Martha hung up the phone. She called Morag to find out what had happened with the divorce. She didn't know. All the paperwork had been pushed through and as far as she knew, the divorce had been finalised. Morag said she would find out and get back to her.

Martha had been back in the bay less than twenty four hours and already she wished she was back in the city, where no one knew who she was. Thanks to Colleen the whole town knew Martha was back and pregnant. Friends had been dropping in all day asking how she was and of course, about the baby. She had continued on with the lie and introduced everyone to Roman, whom they all thought was wonderful. Her cover was nearly blown when Leah commented on how she looked big for someone who was only supposed to be four months pregnant. Martha was quick to tell her that it was actually just extra weight that she had put on. Leah accepted it and it was never mentioned again. She couldn't have people know just how far along she was, especially Jack. She was too afraid that he would trace it back and figure it out. Martha figured she would be back in the city by the time the baby was born and if she did have the baby in the bay; then she would just say it was early. She hoped that no one would question it. She and Roman had it planned out perfectly to avoid anyone from finding out the truth. Martha just hoped that everything would go to plan. Her deep thoughts were interrupted by Ric.

"Are you going to come with me to see Grandad?" He asked.

Martha nodded. "Just let me get my purse." The doctors had told their family that Alf was too sick and had to stay in hospital. She hated seeing her grandad like this; he was disoriented and didn't know what he was saying most of the time. It was horrible. Martha wanted to cry, but she had cried so much in the past couple of days that she didn't think she had any tears left to cry. She found her purse and her and Rick walked out the door.

Martha sighed as she walked down the hall to her grandad's room. She hated hospitals; the smell and the coldness of them. It was depressing. Martha was about to enter the room when she heard a familiar voice call her name.

"Martha," Rachel made her way over to her friend and enveloped her in a warm, friendly embrace. "I've missed you so much."

"Yeah, you too," Martha replied unenthusiastically, as she pulled away. Rachel was the last person she wanted to run into. If anyone was going to see through her lie, it would be her.

"My god, you've gotten big!" Rachel exclaimed as she rubbed Martha’s stomach. "When are you due?"

"In about five months or so," Martha answered vaguely. Keen to get away, she added, "Look, I really want to see grandad. I haven't seen him since I got back."

"Martha, I'm so sorry about Alf," she sympathised. "You let me know if you need anything ok. I'll catch up with you another time."

Martha let out a sigh as she watched her friend walk away. She didn't mean to come off sounding so rude. I'll apologise to her later, she said to herself. Martha drew in a deep breath and opened the door. She gasped, shocked to see her grandad lying there, struggling with every breath. The doctors had told her that the cancer had spread to his bones and that there wasn't anything they could do for Alf, but to make him comfortable. The doctors had warned her that he might not recognise his family. Martha could feel the tears coming again. She walked over to his bed and sat down on the chair next to the bed, not sure if he knew that she was there. Ric decided that he would grab a coffee before going in, leaving Martha alone with Alf.

"Grandad," she whispered, trying to hold back the tears. "Can you hear me? It's me, Martha."

Alf's eyes snapped open and his head turned to Martha. "Martha," he spluttered out, weakly.

"Ssh," she urged, relieved that he knew who she was. "Don't try to talk Grandad." He didn't deserve this.

Alf looked at Martha intently. "Did you tell Jack?" He asked simply. Martha was shocked, she wasn't expecting him to recognise her, let alone remember a secret they had shared months ago. "He has a right to know Martha, you have to tell him," he continued.

"Just rest please Grandad," Martha told him, avoiding the subject of Jack. "Don't worry about me, everything's fine." All of a sudden, Alf snapped out of his lucid state and started mumbling as he drifted off back to sleep.

The tears that Martha had tried so hard to hold back were now falling freely down her cheeks. She stood up and ran for the door, only to be blocked by Ric.

"What did Grandad mean by that? What are you hiding from Jack?" he asked, almost accusingly.

"Nothing," Martha lied as she avoided Ric's eyeline. "It was just about the divorce. I have to go." With that Martha ran as fast as she could to the nearest exit. She slumped against the concrete wall and sat down, bawling. Why did things have to be so complicated? Once upon a time she was happy, she had a loving husband and family and now it was all gone. Her grandad wasn't going to be around for much longer and Jack was happy with Sam. Martha felt a shadow cast over her and looked up to see the last person she expected, standing over her. It was Jack.

"Martha, are you ok? Is there something wrong with the baby?" He asked, sounding concerned.

Martha shook her, taken aback by his sudden concern for her. "The baby's fine. I've just been to see Grandad," she told him. "What are you doing here?" Martha asked.

"Just work stuff," Jack answered. "Fitzy's finishing off the paper work. I saw you run out upset over something. I thought I should come and check on you." Jack sat down next to her and put his arm around her shoulders. "I'm sorry to hear about Alf," he said sincerely. "Let me know if there's anything I can do."

"Thanks," she whispered as she rested her head on his shoulder. It felt good to be there again, it was like everything was forgotten between them. There, in that moment she forgot about everything. Martha looked up and gazed at Jack, allowing herself to be lost in his warm, chocolate eyes.

"And I'm sorry about barging in on you the other day like that," Jack apologised. "It's not your fault about the divorce papers." Martha continued to stare and rather than making him feel uncomfortable, Jack felt the opposite. Even after all the time they had been apart, they still had that connection, there was no denying it; and at this moment it felt stronger than ever. After they separated, Jack always thought that they would end up back together. But all that changed when he met Sam. He was happy, but the thought that he and Martha were meant to be, still sat in the back of his mind. No matter what, they were still there for each other and Jack would give anything to make the pain that she was feeling, go away. Seeing her again had brought back all those old feelings.

Not thinking about what he was about to do, Jack leant down and connected his forehead with Martha's. Martha's breath hitched in her throat at the feel of Jacks' warm breath blowing on her face. Her heart was racing. This is the moment she had been dreaming about for months. Jack did want her! She could tell him about the baby and maybe now they could finally be a family. Jack cupped Martha's chin in his hand and brought his lips down to meet hers.

Before his lips could reach their destination, the moment was broken by the sound of Fitzy's voice. "Jack," she called. "Are you out here?" Jack flinched and quickly moved away from Martha before Fitzy could catch them in the compromising position. As she appeared, Jack stood up and brushed his pants, trying to look like everything was normal. Martha knew things had gone too far, even if it was what she wanted, but she was still shocked at Jack's eagerness to get away from her.

"There you are," said Fitzy. She looked down at Martha. "Oh Martha, I'm sorry about your grandfather. Let me know if there's anything I can do," she said, repeating the same words Jack had spoken only moments earlier. Fitzy turned to Jack. "We have to go," she told him. 'There's been a robbery and Boss wants us on it."

Jack nodded. He took one last look at Martha. "I'm sorry," he whispered as he turned away, leaving Martha sitting all by herself.

Martha watched him walk away, not quite sure what had just happened. Whatever it was, she couldn't just ignore it. As soon as Jack finished work, she was going to see him. Martha needed to know where she stood with him, once and for all.

Next Chapter: Will Ric discover Martha's secret? And news comes in on Jack and Martha's divorce.

They still have a connection. They almost kissed. They still want each other. Now they just have to get rid of Roman and Sam. :P

Poor Alf! He's going to die! :( He won't get to meet his first great grandchild! :(

Martha tells people she's 4 months pregnant but how far along is she really?

More please.

awww...i usually love Fitzy, but she seriously has bad timing :( I wanted that kiss!

I hope the divorce didnt go through :) Just to make Martha happy, and Sam miserable :)

Poor Alfie too :(

Great chapter

More please sooooooooon :)

Martha tells people she's 4 months pregnant but how far along is she really?

She's supposed to be about 6 months, I think. It's been so long since I first started this, I can't remember. Let's say about 6 1/2 months or around there. :P

Archived