The X-Files

Guest allibaz91

I originally loved the X-files. I thought it was a breath of fresh air when at the time I just couldn’t really get into Twin Peaks. Here you have a man whose sister was abducted by Aliens when he was a kid and was totally obsessed with his work to the point where it was his life. He was a believer. And then a woman, a doctor who was interested in Science fact, not science fiction - A sceptic. Both of them attractive people, around the same age, single, so pair them together and as someone said you have sexual tension plus some fine episodes.

I thoroughly enjoyed seasons 1-3 and especially loved the conspiracy theory episodes which appeared to occur every so often. Season 4 was ok but after that it just seemed to get a bit too repetitive and I didn’t really like the direction they were headed with the government/cover ups etc so I stopped watching for a bit. It wasn’t until the final season where ironically Mulder was hardly in it that they went back to the core roots and the episodes appeared more like those from the first season. The final episode was a bit of a disappointment for me and the only good thing to come out of it was that Mulder and Scully finally gave into temptation after all those years.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slade, you couldn't get into Twin Peaks?! That's scandalous! :o Different strokes for different folks, I guess! :P

I watched The X-Files when it aired here originally. I liked the first few seasons. And, like you Slade, I thought it began to get a bit repetitive. I can't remember much but I have memories of walking away from it because it got a bit boring. I can't remember the last episode at all. I must try and buy some of the boxsets for old times sake. I have Season One on DVD [along with the first movie] and I love every episode of it.

Oh, the second movie, was I the only person here who liked it? I went to see it with my friend and we both loved it. It got really bad reviews, though. :unsure:

I didn't mind the second movie but I can't say I loved it.It pretty quickly got reduced to about one showing a week over there, meaning I had to totter down to the only cinema showing it at about 10.30 on a Saturday night.I'm glad I went but it wasn't anything to get worked up over and it seemed to be the film equivalent of one of those "almost normal" episodes they occasionally did.I really did cheer when Skinner showed up though.Probably the best moment of the film.I loved how no-one else in the cinema had seen the last series so when you got the first reference to Mulder and Scully being a couple there was this chorus of gasps.Anyone else think Mulder having a beard and then shaving it off when he got into the case was like McCoy in the first Star Trek film?

I stayed with the show till the end and I don't think my enjoyment particularly decreased as it went on. Round about Series Six and Seven it seemed to turn into a bit of a comedy which I rather enjoyed, so much so I couldn't look at the early stuff without thinking "Gosh, they used to be po-faced, didn't they?"

Last episode was a bit rubbish though.Had a good first five or ten minutes but then we got about an hour of a bunch of men sat in a room reciting the plot of the last nine years, which actually we already knew cos we were there.(And one of them was Jim Robinson from Neighbours which was a bit distracting.)And then we got a rushed ending where everything blew up.Glad Skinner was in the film because I wasn't entirely sure he'd made it...

I've missed this thread somehow - I love the X Files too. I'm watching the series from scratch, I got the box set for Christmas. I already had season 1 on DVD, and love that season its fantastic. Season Two so far is just as good as I remember, even better actually - I'm at episode 13 Irresistible - that is a great episode, the effects Scully's abduction had on her. Really hooked on the show... Back when it originally aired myself, my mate and parents would watch religiously! I totally missed all of the final seasons so I'm looking forward to how the show evolved over time!

Watched the Cops episode today. It was quite amusing. Apparently they were chasing something that presented itself as its victim's worst fear. If only they had the teachings of J K Rowling back then, they would have known that it was a common Boggart!

• 2 weeks later...

I so love it when Mulder and Scully get together :) they are the best couple! I am glad they have 1 baby expect it died :(

William didn't die, they gave him up for adoption for his own safety.

Scully previously did discover that she had a daughter that was conceived during her abduction using her eggs, that is the one that died.

I bought the first season about six months ago, when it was on sale because of the movie, and I loved it. I'm probably going to get the second season soon. My favourite episodes so far are Squeeze, Ice, Eve, Beyond the Sea, Tooms and most of the MythArc ones.

Also, I really like the Simpsons episode where Mulder and Scully show up - "His jiggling is almost hypnotic." "Yes, it's like a lava lamp."

Archived