Everything Happens For A Reason...

Guest puja

Thanks to Emma for proofing :)

This chapter is extra long because there probably won't be an update for a while; damn work :angry:

Chapter 11

Martha and Jack were sat in the Diner, enjoying a cup of coffee. Jack had kept his word and after leaving the Cemetery, they headed straight there. Although they both had agreed that they could’ve done with something stronger after the events from earlier on in the morning, they acknowledged that downing whiskey at eleven o’clock in the morning would not be wise.

“Can I get you two anything else?” Colleen asked as she hobbled over to the booth where Jack and Martha were sat.

“Could I get another coffee please Colleen, Martha?” enquired Jack.

“Another coffee please for me too Colleen” she smiled. Martha noticed the discomfort Colleen was feeling by the constant grimaces on her face, “Are you ok Colleen? You look like you’re in pain” Martha queried, sounding concerned.

In the meantime, Jack had been trying his best to get Martha’s attention in an attempt to try and stall her from enquiring about Colleen’s health. He was well aware of Colleen’s habits; she would often make a mountain out of a mole hill. But, his subtle hints were not understood by Martha and he muttered, “You’re in for it now” he said sniggering, taking a final sip of his coffee, refusing to look away from his mug.

“Ohhh, finally; someone with a bit of compassion!” Colleen screeched, turning around and relaying her glares towards Irene behind the counter. Irene responded by rolling her eyes and scurrying back into the kitchen. “Well, Martha dear” Colleen started as she perched herself next the vacant seat besides Jack, “A woman of my years has to keep in trim condition so, after talking to Kimberly I decided it would be wise to join the gym. And, I wasn’t going to let that Madge Wilkins get the better of me” she stated sternly, throwing her notepad on the table, “Madge decided to join without even telling. I wasn’t going to have that-” but, before she could say anymore, Martha interrupted.

“But what has Madge Wilkins got to do with your hobbling?” Martha said, getting genuinely confused.

“Ah, yes, that’s where the story was going,” laughed Colleen, “It’s not like me to beat around the bush,” she said, only to be greeted by a sarcastic ‘ha’ from Jack. “Constable, are you ok? You’re coffee hasn’t gone down the wrong pipe has it? You know, I can perform the Heimlich manoeuvre.” Colleen said, rubbing the top of Jack’s back in the process. Now it was Martha’s turn to giggle.

“No, no I’m fine” Jack responded quickly, raising both his hands in the air and shuffling back on his seat, “Anyway, the Heimlich is given if you’re choking”.

Wanting the pointless conversation to come to an end, Jack put forth, “Colleen, I can see you’re a very busy young woman so, how about I finish your story off for Martha?” he said sweetly. Swivelling around so he was facing Martha once again, who was sat opposite him, he started, “Basically, Colleen took part in one of Kim’s gym sessions but, her bunions played up- hence the hobbling” concluded Jack.

“Ohhhh” replied Martha, who looked up at Colleen only to find her soothing her sore feet.

“But, like I said to Colleen after the sixth time I heard this story, a woman merely in her early 40’s like Mrs Smart here, need not worry about her health so much” Jack said casually, flashing his infamous Jack Holden smile at Colleen.

“Well Constable” Colleen said, feeling overtly shy and happy at Jack’s statement, “When you put it like that” she grinned, standing up, “I’ll be back with your orders in a jiffy” she said, heading towards the counter with a spring in her step.

“Pheeeew” Jack sighed, wiping his brow slightly, “I didn’t think we’d ever get rid of her” he said.

Martha stifled her laugh and looked at Jack, shaking her head at him, “God, you’ve still got it, haven’t you?” she smirked, “The notorious, suaveness of Jack Holden is still in tact, isn’t it?” she joked. Just to prove a point, Jack flashed the same smile at Martha as he did to Colleen. “What I don’t understand is…” she continued, “Is where you get it from. I mean, your dad hasn’t got an ego the size of Everest, so, where do you get it from?” Martha continued playfully.

Slouching back on his seat and resting his hands at the back of his head, Jack coolly said, “Well, what you refer to as egotistic, Miss McKenzie, I like to see as a permanence of charm; you’re either born with it or not. It skipped Dad, I got it and Lucas, the poor boy, will miss it too”.

Martha couldn’t help but chuckle at Jack’s self-assurance. She liked the fact that they could be themselves around each other again; the awkwardness had now well and truly vanished. “You’re just too much sometimes,” remarked Martha. “But, what’s with people getting injured in the Bay these days; first Granddad, now Colleen”.

“Alf?” said Jack confusingly, “What’s wrong with him?” concern etched in his voice.

“Oh, it’s nothing too serious. I’m surprised you’ve not seen or heard him moaning and groaning. He’s broken his leg; something to do with falling over some gym equipment”.

“Ouch” winced Jack. “Sounds painful. When I saw him at the party the other day, he was fine. It must have happened just recently” he shrugged.

“Umm, it’s been a while” Martha replied, scratching her head, “Maybe a week I think. That’s why I came back. Granddad couldn’t work and so he needed me to cover for him- and nurse him of course” she smiled.

“Hmm, something doesn’t quite add up. Like I said, he was at my party the other day, and he was walking around freely, without any problems. My dad was there too. That is strange…” Jack trailed off. “Where is Alf now?”

Martha shrugged, “Oh wait, he said something about going to the City today to have a scan on his broken foot”.

“Right” replied Jack, still slightly dumbfounded by the situation. “Have you met my dad since you’ve been back?” he asked, changing the subject.

“Nope, I haven’t. Not really had the chance to be honest. I’d love to go and see him. I hear he’s the P.E. teacher at the old High School?” questioned Martha.

“Yeah, he is. The old man’s done well. Why don’t we go now? I know he’d love to see you and he’s got the morning free because he’s watching…” but then Jack paused and smiled.

Martha picked up on his silent smile, “What you smiling at? You know, it’s kind of weird when you stop in mid sentence and start smiling for no reason” she gagged.

“Ha-ha; you’re so funny! My sides a splitting” Jack retaliated mockingly, “There is actually someone I want you to meet,” he said, standing up and pulling Martha up with him. Standing behind her, Jack began to usher Martha towards the door, “Cancel the coffees please Colleen; we’ve got to go.” He said and, with that, he and Martha left.

(Hunter/Holden household)

Jack and Martha reached the front door of the house, which was wide open. Martha was stood slightly behind Jack; she was feeling quite anxious. She was just about to take a step towards the entrance, until his arm obstructed her.

“There is something that I’ve not told you Mac” Jack started seriously, “Not because I didn’t want to but, because I never found the right time. But this is something that holds the most importance in my life and now that you’re here, I want you to see it first hand” he smiled.

“Ok” Martha said hesitantly, not knowing where this was headed.

“Daddy!” came a voice from inside the house. Emma came running towards the door and hugged her father, “You’d already left when I got up this morning; I’ve not seen you since last night” she claimed.

“Aww, I’m sorry angel,” said Jack, taking her hand and walking towards the kitchen table. Jack turned around and saw that Martha hadn’t moved. “Martha, come in” he said.

Martha walked towards where Emma and Jack were now stood. She looked down at the smiling child who was stood before her. The little girl’s resemblance was very familiar and warm. She was almost the spitting image of her; it was uncanny. Crouching to meet the eye line of the young girl, Martha opened her mouth to speak but, before she could, Jack introduced the two formally.

“Emma; this is Martha. Martha, this is my angel” Jack stated, ruffling Emma’s hair a little, “This is my daughter Emma”.

(2 hours later)

Tony, Jack, Martha and Emma had spent the last few hours talking and generally having a good time. Emma had taken a shine to Martha; she really did like her. And, the feeling was mutual. Even though Martha had known the child for only a couple of hours, she was already very fond of her.

“Martha, you have lovely hair,” Emma said, as she stroked the long, chocolate locks. “Daddy won’t let me grow it that long”.

“Aww, why not?” asked Martha.

“Martha, one thing you don’t know about my daughter; she’s not a very ‘morning’ person” Jack began to explain.

“Must take after her dad then…” Martha muttered. Emma and Tony both laughed out loud.

“Uh-humm” Jack cleared his throat, “I’m not that bad” he said defensively, “And, as I was saying, Emma likes her sleep. She has enough problems getting up for school and not being late the best of times. If she grew her hair, that would mean another half an hour to negotiate. “Daddy, should I have my hair like this? Daddy, should I wear it down? Blah, blah, blah,” he said, mimicking his daughter.

“Daddy, I’m not that bad” Emma said, slightly annoyed, “Anyway, Martha is here now; she could teach me”.

“Yeah” Martha chipped in, encouraging Emma and sticking her tongue at Jack.

“So, this is how it’s going to be from now on; two against one?” Jack said; sounding concerned.

“How long are you planning on staying love?” asked Tony.

“I guess as long as Granddad needs me to be honest. I’ve only been here a couple of days and I’m already missing dad and my brothers. It’s been a long time since I’ve left the farm. I’ll be honest; it’s taken me a while to adjust. But, you know Granddad, he’ll keep moaning and groaning and will try and keep me here as long as possible” Martha smiled.

“Oh dad, about that, did you know that Alf had broken his leg? I don’t remember his leg being in plaster when he popped into Emma’s birthday party the other day. But Martha was saying it’s nearly been a week” Jack finished.

Tony and Emma looked at one another; neither knowing what to do or say. They had come up with the idea of bringing Martha to the Bay but after that, they had not thought about the aftermath. How were they going to explain this?

“Sorry, that’s my mobile ringing” Martha said, to Tony and Emma’s relief, as she made her way towards the kitchen to answer the call, “Hello? Oh hi Beth. Sorry, I completely forgot. Umm, I’ll be there in half an hour. See you then” Martha said, hanging up. “I’ve got to go; it’s my first shift at Noah’s today. It was nice meeting you Emma” Martha beamed, giving the besotted youngster a hug. “Bye Tony” she waved.

Jack walked Martha to the door, “I’ve got the evening off tonight, I might pop into Noah’s myself” he said.

“Great, that’ll be nice. See you tonight then” replied Martha, placing a kiss on Jack’s cheek and exiting the household.

“Emma, we’ve just gotten away with it” Tony said with a hint of relief in his voice, “We need to think of an idea to stop your dad and Martha from getting suspicious. I think I’ll have to call Alf,” he whispered. Emma nodded in agreement.

“What’s all this whispering between Grandfather and Granddaughter” Jack cheerfully hummed sitting beside Emma.

“Top secret business between me and my Granddaughter; nothing you need to concern yourself with” Tony tried to make a joke out of the potential serious situation.

“Riiight” responded Jack, unsure whether or not to take Tony’s remark sincerely. “Emma, come on, we need to get your things packed for tonight. Luc and Mattie have gone to get the DVD for tonight. Dad, let them know I’ll drop Emma off at seven”.

Tony nodded as he watched Emma and Jack leave in tandem. He resigned to his seat, sighing out aloud. Tony knew he had just managed to wriggle himself out of a tricky situation. He would have to talk to Alf and Lucas and stall Jack’s suspicious mind. Sometimes Tony would curse his son’s over-exuberant imagination but, that came with his line of work; he was a police officer after all. But, Jack was right to be suspicious, and Tony was more than aware of it.

From now on, I refuse to do previews; because I never keep to them :P

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awww, i loved that!

How cute are they! The three of them are totally adorable! Plus Tony ofcourse! :D

And how close was that! I so thought they were gunna get busted! Lucky Marthas phone went off at the right time.

Looking forward to the next chapter, im interested to see how Martha and Jack's relationship will further develop (hopefully) :wub:

Great writing Puja! Update soon :)

That chapter was fabulous!

They were all acting like a proper little family together, Tony and Emma are so lucky that Martha's phone went off when it did! :P I hope something happens at Noah's, something that will bring them closer together. And I can't wait until Emma's plan starts to - argh so annoying can't think of the word, it's like, starts to go into action - it's going to be see Martha's reaction to Alf's 'broken leg' and Emma's plan!

Great writing, I can't wait to read more. What a long update we were blessed with, but it's a shame it might be a while before we get another one :(

Update when you can! :)

Just read the fic all the way through!

Damn you Puja, You really know how to make me cry.

Martha at the gravestone crying made my think of my grandma and how she is at peace. I love this fic. Update when you can.

:)

Archived