Everything Happens For A Reason...

Guest puja

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry I didn't post yesterday but I was working lol. I read you whole story so far from begin to were you have written now, I love this story it's awesome & lovely I wondering why M need J awhile ago as well. I love how they call eachother by there last names.

Can't wait for more.

Thanks to Emma for proofing :)

I take no credit whatsoever for the beautiful poem; all Krystal's handywork (you're a star! :D )

Chapter 10

Martha sat on the green grass, staring at the headstone. She had been sat there for a while now, still coming to terms with the news. It was only yesterday that she found out about the death; the hurt she was enduring was still raw and painful.

When Jack first told her, she couldn’t believe it. In her mind, she toyed with the idea that it wasn’t true; that is was a mistake. But, seeing the grave shattered that weak illusion. It was a fact; Tina was no longer amongst them. Gathering her thoughts, she placed the assorted bouquet of flowers beside the headstone and read, ‘Tina Marie Holden- loving daughter, wife and mother- Rest in Peace’.

Martha wiped away the tear that had managed to travel all the way down to her upper lip. Breaking contact away from the gravestone, she looked down at her jacket pocket and pulled out a piece of white paper. Bringing the sheet to sight, she unravelled it carefully. The crispness of the paper crackled in the sombre atmosphere. Even the chirping of birds failed to lighten the tense surrounding as Martha took a deep breath before she spoke.

“Hey Tina, it’s been a while, hasn’t it?” Martha began, “I’m sorry it’s taken me this long to come visit but, I see your home is in good condition” she remarked, brushing away a small accumulation of dust that had gathered at the top of the plaque, “I’m sure that husband of yours has been keeping it spick and spam” she laughed slightly.

A gust of warm wind then blew across the cemetery; Martha held the piece of paper closely before continuing. “I guess that was your way of asking me what’s written on this paper?” she smiled. “Well, it’s a poem that I’ve written. Yes, yes, you heard right, I have written a poem - on my own. I think those English classes with Mr Cooke have come in handy” she winked but, like the sudden gust of wind, Martha changed her approach.

“Seriously though Tina, this comes from the bottom of my heart” Martha emphasised and with that, she began to recite her poem;

I remember your laughs and your great soul

The time we spent together

Is like precious keepsakes, close to my heart

Your smile was so bright

And your heart was so big,

Never once did you close the door of compassion

But then all the memories stop,

And time comes to a halt

The laughter fades, the sunshine dims

And we drift apart without looking back.

All of a sudden, a wave of emotion overcame Martha. She tried her damn hardest to muffle her cries; but to no avail. She knew she had to cry; cry for her friend. Although the news of her demise was relatively new to Martha, she had suppressed so many years of hurt and anguish in her heart. She didn’t allow herself to cry- not even once. Martha had managed to convince herself that leaving the Bay meant a new start, so there was no need to cry, was there?

But, Martha knew she was wrong. Even though she had left the Bay for a noble reason, she had made her loved ones suffer. And now she was being punished for it. ‘My punishment, my just desserts, whatever you want to call it’ she thought to herself, ‘is not saying a proper goodbye to Tina’.

As Martha continued to entwine herself in the emotion, she felt a warm hand on her bare shoulder. She jerked slightly; the unexpectedness of the touch caught her off guard. She controlled her cries and, still remaining sat on the grass, she turned around hesitantly, wringing away the tears that had made her face unrecognisable with the moisture. Looking up, she managed to distinguish the familiar outline of the figure that was stood before her; it was Jack.

Seeing Jack was almost a licence, a licence to intensify the cries. Martha couldn’t relent, she tried but, after a glimpse of his sympathetic look, her already wavering guard was well and truly crumbled.

Crouching down, Jack held her in his arms. He kissed the temple of her head and rubbed her back in attempt to yield her sobs. But, he understood and related to her weeps and plight. No matter what he did or say, he knew he couldn’t stop her from shedding the pain she was feeling. He too had been in that situation and was well aware that having someone there, to touch, to comfort made all the difference.

Martha rested her head on Jack’s shoulder and kept a firm grip of his shirt collar. She hadn’t uttered a word since he got here and although the silence was prolonging, Martha felt comfortable and safe in his presence. Martha noticed a wet patch beginning to form in the chest area of Jack’s shirt. The wetness was a result of her cries seeping onto his shirt, but he didn’t seem to mind. Moving away from his warm grasp, Martha finally spoke.

“Sorry about that” she said, pointing at his shirt where the liquid from her eyes had left a wet impression.

Jack looked down at Martha’s signal and smiled, It’s ok, it saves me going home for a shower” he joked.

The response evoked a laugh from Martha. She watched as Jack stood up and walked closer to the gravestone. He placed a bunch of lilies next to the flowers Martha had brought and positioned himself firmly on the grass, so he was sat opposite Martha. Jack then put his fingers to his lips and caressed Tina’s engraved name, “Hey you” he whispered towards the plaque.

Thinking Jack wanted some privacy; Martha stood up and took a few paces away from where she was sat, “I’ll leave you guys to it” she smiled, turning her back to Jack and walking away, only to be stopped by his voice.

“See Tina, our McKenzie has become a proper lady now; she gets embarrassed and feels uncomfortable nowadays” he smirked, still studying Tina’s headstone.

“No, it’s not that” Martha responded, “I just assumed you’d want to spend some time alone with her”.

Jack paused for a split moment before standing back up and walking towards where Martha was now stood. “What I would like is for all three of us to spend some time with each other” he spoke, as held Martha’s hand, “you think we can do that?” he asked. Martha smiled and nodded, “good” said Jack, “and if you’re lucky, I’ll shout you to a coffee later” he grinned, pulling Martha back to where they were originally sitting.

Chapter 11- Martha and Emma DEFINETLY meet! And, the ‘familiar’ face that has someone intrigued…and reeling…

Very good

Your getting good at updateing :P

I hope Emsy :P and Martha meet soon

Fab chapter

Very emotional as I said on msn this bit made me giggle

Jack looked down at Martha’s signal and smiled, It’s ok, it saves me going home for a shower” he joked.

Update soon

Umm I also wonder who this person is :P:rolleyes:

Awww, another beautiful chapter Puja.

Loved the poem aswell, great work Krystal!

Im glad Marthas back and now they can support each other and get through everything together!

Looking forward to Martha meeting Emma aswell! I think Emma will really like Martha! Cause, whats not to like :D

Looking forward to the next one :)

I've got tears in my eyes.

Damn you.

Awww, that was really sad.

Brilliant writing though! I always knew you were good, but you are REALLY good.

Damn you once more.

Kryssie - You're a poet! :o But.. it didn't rhyme. Kinda disappointed on that one. I'd have liked to rap it or something....

:P Just kidding. I can't rap. Unless you count the Spice Girl song "If U Can't Dance". But, I don't know if that's really rapping.. just singing quickly... either way, I used to know all the words. :) That's nothing to brag about, is it?

Anyway, update soon! :D I know what's going to happen! :P

Well, I know who the familiar face is.

Archived