Everything Happens For A Reason...

Guest puja

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to Krystal for proof-reading :)

Chapter 6

Jack had put a lot of effort into Emma’s party. He’d planned it weeks in advance to make sure everything was right; decorations, food, and gifts- he wanted it to be perfect. The initial idea was to keep the actual party a secret. Jack had done his best to be as secretive as possible; but to no avail. He was caught out by Emma only a couple of days beforehand when she heard him talking on the phone whilst giving out invitations. Although she knew it was happening; Emma was having a great time with all her family and friends and this filled Jack with joy.

“You ok mate?” Tony asked Jack as he put his hand on Jack’s shoulder.

“Yeah” Jack smiled as he watched his daughter laugh and joke amongst the crowd of people, “she’s really growing up fast, isn’t she?” he said whilst taking a sip of beer.

“She is” Tony agreed, “And you should be really proud; not only of Emma but also proud of yourself. I know it’s not been easy raising a child on your own. Yeah sure, me, Beth and Luc have been around to help but, you’ve been there no matter what. You’ve always put her first and then thought about your needs and wants. I’m really proud of you Jack” Tony emphasised as he patted him on the back.

“Thanks dad” he replied with a warm smile, “But she’s a great kid and has made my job easy. I wouldn’t change the moments we have shared for anything in the world” Jack confessed with a hint of hurt in his words.

“So what’s with the glumness?” Tony instigated. Jack didn’t really want to talk about it. He didn’t want to spoil the joyous occasion but, he also knew his father. Tony could read Jack like an open book. Ever since he was a kid, Jack could never keep anything from Tony; no matter how hard he tried, “Well…?” Tony again probed apprehensively.

“Well…” Jack started, “I came across something at work today, a report from a robbery a couple of years back, and it brought back some memories; memories of Tina” stated Jack as he fiddled with his wedding ring- sliding it up and down his finger. “In that robbery, a woman watched her fiancé get shot, deteriorate and then die in front of her eyes- just like Tina did in front of mine. Just reading something like that brought back those raw and painful aches of losing Tina. They’d never gone dad; the hurtful feelings of Tina’s death, but I’d managed to lock them away, in a corner of my heart but…” Jack stopped as he quickly brushed a single tear that was escalating down his cheek.

“I know, I know mate” comforted Tony as he rubbed his back soothingly, “I guess it was kind of inevitable that you would remember Tina today. If it wasn’t the report, it would have been something else”.

“Yeah…”whispered Jack whilst rubbing his watery eyes extensively. But before he could open his mouth to say anything else, Emma came running up to him.

“Daddy! Daddy, you’ve got to come and dance with me” Emma said jumping up and down trying to prise Jack away from the stool he was sat on, “but you can’t do that silly dance that you did at granddad and Beth’s wedding reception” she said sticking her tongue out.

“Ok, ok” laughed Jack as he stood up, “and by the way, those dance moves were really in during the 90’s I’ll have you know” he voiced in his defence.

“Exactly! Fifty years ago, now come on daddy” Emma squealed still jumping up and down to the rhythm of the music that was blaring.

“Gosh, isn’t someone excited this evening?” Jack commented as he laughed and observed Emma’s enthusiasm, “I think someone’s been hitting the Cola heavily tonight” he continued to joke as Emma dragged him through the groups of people and towards an area of the living-room that was vastly becoming a dance floor.

(20 minutes later)

“God they’ve been hitting that dance floor hard, haven’t they?” Lucas joked to Tony as he continued to watch Emma and Jack.

“Yes they have. I think Jack’s enjoying himself. Anyway, I don’t think Emma is planning to let him go that easily” smirked Tony.

“What does a bloke need to do to get a beer in this joint?” came a voice from behind.

“Mr Stewart!” squawked Lucas in a high pitched tone, “I didn’t think you were going to come” he said in a more relaxed manner after realising his excitability in his previous comment.

“Of course I was going to come; I said so didn’t I?” Alf refuted as he took the beer from Tony’s clasp and washed down the entire bottle in one go, “boy I needed that” he sighed as he enjoyed the lingering taste of liquor in his mouth.

“Did it not go so well then?” Lucas asked hesitantly, not wanting to hear a negative response.

“Well young man, I don’t class lying to my granddaughter as a hobby, if that’s what you mean, but…”

(Flashback- 1 hour ago)

“Hello, Martha? It’s granddad” Alf started.

“Oh granddad, it’s great to hear from you” said a cheerful sounding Martha, “I was just going to call you myself”.

“Why? Is everything alright love?” questioned Alf.

“Yes, of course it is” laughed Martha at Alf’s concern, “it’s just that it had been a couple of weeks since we last spoke and I was really missing you”.

“I really miss you too love and…owww!” groaned Alf.

“Granddad, what is it?” Martha asked worriedly.

“It’s nothing love; honestly owwww. I’m just in a little bit of pain” he lied through clenched teeth.

“Why, what happened?” she said sounding concerned.

“I was covering a shift for Kim at the gym and some flamin’ mongrel left some weights lying around on the floor. And, you know me, I wasn’t looking where I was going and the rest, as they say, is history. The flamin’ doctors have said I’ve broken my damn foot in two places” he moaned.

“Oh granddad” Martha sympathised, “are you in a lot of pain?”

“Well, I’ve been given some medication to control the pain but that’s not the worst part- the docs have said I need to rest; completely. That means my movement is going to be restricted. I’ll be living like a prisoner in my own home!” he roared, “and that’s why I rang love”. A silence inevitably followed. Martha held her breath and anticipated a request- she knew what he was going to ask, “So I was thinking love, I’d love to see you. It would really help. You know that I don’t like charity but you’d be doing me a big favour too. I’ve got so many responsibilities and with my lack of mobility, I could really do with your help” Alf requested.

“Umm…I don’t know granddad. I…I don’t think…” Martha stumbled.

“Please don’t refuse love” pleaded Alf once more.

(End of Flashback)

“So; did she agree?” Lucas prompted impatiently.

“I think she made her decision out of guilt but yes, she has agreed. In fact, she’s coming tonight” said Alf shamefully; angry at himself with the deceitful manner in which Martha agreed.

“Who’s coming tonight?” asked Jack wiping his brow as he made his way towards Tony, Alf and Lucas.

“Oh…um…it’s just a relative of Alf’s mate” Tony replied rapidly.

“Well your relative is very welcome to come to the party Alf” Jack smiled.

“Thanks mate but I don’t think she’ll feel like it. It’s a long drive from where she lives to come to the Bay. I think she’ll be too tired”.

“Ok” Jack shrugged, “but the offer stands” he said as he went back and joined Emma.

“Wow, that was a close call” Tony exhaled.

“Too right. Oh, by the way Mr Stewart, did you get the plaster cast? I dropped it over at the Diner this arvo’” Lucas remembered.

“I did but, did you have to give it to flamin’ Colleen Smart?! You know that woman; she could talk for England! She was asking me question, after question, after question. Heaven knows how I got her to shut up. Oh, that’s it, I remember. I asked her to tell me about the time her Lancey sang in front of fifty old aged pensioners when he was at school- Colleen Smart’s proudest moment. Only then did she stop asking the questions” Alf further moaned, “anyway, I’d best head off home back to the Caravan Park. Martha will be here anytime now” said Alf as he made his way towards the front door- leaving Lucas and Tony to contemplate the next stage of their plan- Mission Martha.

She pulled up at the front of the beach and turned off the engine. Unbuckling her seatbelt, she let herself out of the car. She took three paces towards the direction of the sea and held the wooden fence that separated the lush green grass from the sunflower yellow sand. It was now the best time of the day; the sun was just setting. Transparent ripples danced along the surface of the water as the red from the horizon completed the picturesque scenery. The wind was mild, but constant as it howled gently across the land. She closed her eyes and breathed in the salty waves of the air- it was still the same- even after all those years. Opening her eyes slowly; she began to let sink the enormity of what she was about to do. The return that she once thought would never happen was now staring her in the face; challenging her somewhat. She turned around to confirm her surroundings; to ensure it was not a dream. She had dreamt about it so many times in the last nine years or so, the experience just seemed so surreal. But, her confirmation was there, out in the open- the, ‘welcome to Summer Bay’ sign. Smiling to herself, Martha inwardly chuckled at her childishness- did she really need to look at the sign to validate her arrival? No, of course she didn’t. This was Summer Bay. It was not distinguished by a sign, but by a feeling, a feeling of warmth, generosity and memories. Martha was finally back.

Ok I'd say I'd comment and I will. Its fabulous!! I love the whole plan bringing Martha back. I think Jack is an awesome father and loves Emma to bits. Emma is adorable. Love the way Alf brought Martha back to the bay. Twas extemely funny about him faking a broken leg.

You are an awesome writer. I love the way you describe Jack's feeling and the way he can talk to Tony about anything. You portray everyone's characters so well. The diagloge spoken sounds just like the characters in the show. The descriptions of the feeling of summer bay on the last chapter was brilliant. I love the way you wrote that it wasn't a sign that told Martha she was back home but the feelings that the bay brings to her.

Anyway awesome writing. You have me totally hooked to the fic and I really have to keep commenting after every chapter. Can't wait for more Puja!!

The pact is still on, isn't it Puja? I'm planning on how to end my fic now... s'up to you... :P

Great Chapter! I'm not going to say ":o She came back!" Because.. well, it was quite obvious she would. I mean, if she didn't come back.. then, what would the fic do? So, instead I'll say..

Yess! She came back! Step one of the Martha Mission has been completed. Who knew Alf could be such a good liar?

I loved this bit..

“Mr Stewart!” squawked Lucas in a high pitched tone, “I didn’t think you were going to come” he said in a more relaxed manner after realising his excitability in his previous comment.

If I were there, I'd have so laughed at him. :P

Looking forward to the next update, Puja. :)

Archived