Everything Happens For A Reason...

Guest puja

just one question, how old were Jack and Tina when they had emma?

They were 18 when they had Emma and only had been married a few months before Tina died :(

I just want to say a big fat sorry for the lack of, (or no) updates of late. I know I said in my last post that I was going to update, and I didn't, so sorry for getting hopes up- I know that it can be annoying.

My assignments are due in on wednesday, so I'll have chances to update after that. (I've learnt from my lesson last time, so I'll not say a day or time :wink: )

Sorry once again.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just one question, how old were Jack and Tina when they had emma?

They were 18 when they had Emma and only had been married a few months before Tina died :(

wow young parents! but so saad :(

can't wait for more and hope the assignments went/go well

xxx Lily

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, yes this is an update! I’m so sorry for the long wait.

I actually had two chapters written out and ready to post a couple of days ago. I had them saved onto my usb stick and along with some uni work, all my saved files disappeared! I was so annoyed and the next few days were spent just moping around, thinking of ways to retrieve everything; but nothing worked :(

So, I’ve had to re-write this chapter again and, I’ll be honest, it’s pretty bad. But, I just wanted to get this posted so here it is.

It is a tad on the long side and you guys might want to read the last chapter to refresh your memories because, I certainly had to!

Oh, and its not been proofed either. Sorry.

Chapter 12

Wiping down the counter, Martha glanced towards the door. It was probably the fifth time in as many minutes that she had done so and Beth had noticed.

“If it’s getting too much sweet, just let me know” said Beth, as she placed a tray full of dirty glasses on a nearby table, “A room full of people is not everybody’s cup of tea”.

“Oh no, it’s not that Beth, I was just waiting to see if Jack was here” replied Martha, blushing and feeling a little embarrassed at her words.

Beth smiled, “I’m sure he’ll be here soon love, he’s probably just settling Emma”.

Martha nodded, “Yeah. He’s really great with her, isn’t he? I mean, it’s not hard because she’s a great kid but if someone told me nine years ago that Jack Holden would make great father material, I would have laughed in their face” she said, smiling and imagining her mock in action.

“Woah, that was a mad rush” Martha remarked, slouching on the sofa and slipping off her shoes, “My feet officially ache” she groaned, rubbing the heel of her left foot.

“Be careful sweet, all you need is a floral dress and a perm and then you’ll be the complete clone of Colleen” laughed Beth, who was stood behind the counter drying glasses.

“Oh dear god!” Martha said, widening her eyes and sitting up straight, “If I ever get like that Beth, I give you permission to slap me”.

“Nah, Beth’s too nice, she wouldn’t do that. But I, on the other hand, would be more than willing to comply” grinned Jack, as he made his way towards where Martha was sprawled. “Come on McKenzie, a bit of hard work and you’re like this? I’m really disappointed” he shook his head as he continued to mock.

Martha glared at him, not impressed with his sarcasm, “So, let me get this straight, first you keep me waiting and then when you finally decide to make an appearance, you tease me?” Martha said, hitting Jack playfully on his arm.

“Aww, that’s so sweet” replied Jack, pinching Martha’s cheek and squeezing it hard, “You were waiting for me, I’m touched! Really, I am”.

“Ouch, that hurts” Martha screamed, standing up and moving away from Jack. “Beth, you’ve not had a break, why don’t you go home and I’ll lock up. It’s not that busy now anyway” Martha offered.

“If you’re sure love? It’s only your first day; I don’t want to abandon you”.

“Honestly Beth, its fine. Anyway, I’ve got Constable Holden to keep me company; I’ll get him to help me close up. Plus, I think I need re-familiarise myself with his ‘smart alec wit’ again” she sighed, looking over at Jack who was pulling the strangest faces. Noticing that he was the subject of discussion, Jack made his way towards where Beth and Martha were stood.

“What does one have to do to get served in this establishment?” he said, putting on a posh accent, as he stood opposite Martha. Martha rolled her eyes.

“Beth go and save yourself; I’ll deal with Mr. Sarcastic here”.

“Ok” smirked Beth, “You two have fun and Martha, try not to kill him” she winked, before exiting.

Martha waved Beth off and turned back round to be greeted with a grinning Jack, “This is going to be a long night” she giggled, not able to do anything but laugh at Jack’s childishness, “What can I get you?”

(2 hours later)

It was now 11.30pm. Noah’s was more or less empty; only Jack, Martha and a group of guys were sat in the Bar. Martha and Jack had spent the last couple of hours just teasing each other and having a good time. If an unknown was observing, they could have easily mistaken their friendliness for flirting.

“You seem to know what you’re doing” Jack observed, as he watched Martha working with ease, “If I didn’t know any different, I’d say you’ve worked behind a Bar before”.

“How observant of you Constable” said Martha, “But yeah, I didn’t just spend the last nine years on the farm. I wanted to help out financially so I worked in our local pub” she said with confidence, “Money was tight so any income was welcome. Not that my brothers were happy about it” Martha smiled, “I don’t think they liked the idea of their little sister working in a room full of testosterone” she grinned.

Jack laughed. Even though he had never met Martha’s brothers, he had heard a lot about them; that was definitely their way of thinking. Martha had often told him about stories from her childhood where her brothers would feature quite heavily- usually beating some poor soul who would have done nothing but just glance towards Martha. But, that would be enough for the McKenzie brother’s. They were really protective of their little sister. Jack knew Martha missed them when she first moved to the Bay and he knew that she missed them now.

“Off with the fairies again Jack?” Martha said as she watched the last of the customers leave, “Only half an hour to go now” she sighed, pulling a stool from under the counter and sitting next to Jack. “I don’t think there’s one part of my body that’s not aching at the moment” she moaned.

Jack stood up from his seat so he was standing behind her, “Just relax” he whispered, as he began to massage her shoulder.

“Hmmm” said Martha, closing her eyes and losing herself in his subtle touch, “That feels so good. If I fall asleep, can I trust you to lock up and get me home safely?” she joked.

“Of course” smiled Jack, watching Martha sway gently. Jack couldn’t help but think how nice Martha looked. He had never thought about, or considered, Martha to be anything other than a friend in the past. But lately, his feelings towards her had changed. Jack wasn’t sure what had triggered these feelings. All he did know was those feelings that he suppressed for years; feelings of compassion, care and concern that people feel towards someone who was more than a friend, was awakening.

The tension that was evidently straining her shoulders was now beginning to subside as she fell culpable to his touches. Sensing that she was now more relaxed, Jack psyched himself up mentally to say what was on his mind. He was really enjoying Martha’s company and loved the relationship that they shared but, after so many years of being alone, he now knew he wanted something more; something more substantial.

One thing Jack was certain of though; he didn’t want to rock the boat. He was facing a mini battle himself. His heart was telling him to bite the bullet, take the risk and tell Martha how he really felt about her but his rational side, his mind, was holding him back.

Weighing the pros and cons and realising that this was as good a time as any, Jack shut his eyes fiercely and shot out, “Martha, I need to tell you something” he said a little too loudly and quickly.

“Mmmm” strained Martha, who was still enjoying the massage.

Feeling the adrenaline now beginning to kick in, Jack removed his hands from Martha’s tense-free body and placed them on either side of the base of her stool. With one movement, he swivelled her around so that she was no facing him.

“Look this is serious and its something I’ve been wanting to talk to you about for a couple of days now” he said seriously, pulling a stool from next to Martha and sitting opposite her.

Jack now had Martha’s full attention. She stared at him feeling a little anxious and nervous because of the small proximity of space between them, “Umm sure, what is it?” said Martha hesitantly.

Placing his hand on top of Martha’s, which rested on her thigh, Jack took a deep breath before he spoke again, “Ok, I really hope you don’t freak out after hearing this. I’ve been contemplating for a while whether to tell you or not” he paused for a moment before he continued, “But, I’ve learnt from past mistakes that if I have something to say, then I should say it. I shouldn’t have to hide it. I…I deserve to be happy as well” he claimed, his voice wavering so it was hardly audible, as he looked away from Martha’s sympathetic eyes.

“What is it Jack?” Martha asked, feeling a little more confident after Jack looked away from her, “You’re scaring me” she said, strangling a nervous laugh.

Jack brought his gaze back to where it was previously; looking straight into Martha’s majestic blue eyes. He opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out. Nothing. Jack inwardly scolded himself- why did he have to lose his nerve right at this moment? He’d been gifted with the world’s biggest ego and the nerve of steel- so Lucas would always claim- and just when he needed them both, they both deserted him.

He tried to say something again, willing for anything to come out; even a whimper but, to no avail. ‘Damn it’ he cursed himself subconsciously. Jack knew he had to do something, if not for himself, then at least for Martha who had worry etched all over her face.

Standing up so he had his back to Martha, he shook his head from side to side to eliminate all thoughts that were circulating in his mind. Then, in a split second, he took three strides towards the meek figure that was still sat on the wooden stool, put his hands on the top of her arms and pulled her in for a kiss. Jack pressed his lips hard and vigorously against Martha’s, waiting for a response from her behalf. But, just as in the split second it had taken him to make the decision to kiss her, in the same amount of time Martha pulled away, with a look of horror and disgust on her face.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” she screamed, rubbing her lips harshly with the sleeve of her shirt, which were now slightly swollen and red.

“I…I..I thought-” but before Jack had the chance to explain, Martha cut him off.

“You thought what?!” Martha cried as tears started to fall from her eyes.

Jack stood rooted to the spot in utter disbelief. He was absolutely disgusted with himself and couldn’t believe what had just happened. And to top it all off, he’d made Martha cry; and that was never his intention. He couldn’t bear to see her so upset and knowing he was the cause of it ripped him apart. Instinctively, Jack took a few steps towards Martha to comfort her but was stopped abruptly in his tracks.

“No, don’t you dare” Martha said coldly, shuffling a few steps back to maintain the distance, “Why, why did you have to go and do that?!” she cried, putting her head in her hand, “I can’t deal with this right now. Not with it coming up in a couple of days” she continued to sob.

“What’s coming up in a couple of days?” asked a confused Jack.

“No, nothing” said Martha as she dried her tears and straightened her skirt and shirt, “I think you should leave” she stated to Jack, unable to look at him.

There was a moments silence before Jack spoke, “I can’t leave you on your own in this state. I’ll help you lock up and then take you home”.

Before Martha could protest, a customer made her way towards the Bar. Martha saw her coming, put on a fake smile and made her way behind the counter.

“Ooohh, I’m glad this place isn’t closed yet” said the female customer, as she stumbled her way to the seating area in the Bar, “Can I have a glass of red wine?” she slurred.

“Sure” replied Martha. Martha looked up at the woman again; staring at her. She seemed awfully familiar. “I’m sorry, I don’t mean to be rude but, do I know you? You seem really familiar” Martha said politely.

“Well I don’t recognise you” said the woman bluntly.

Recognising the other voice in the room, Jack turned around to find that he was indeed right with his assumption, “Sarah”.

“Oh Jack!” she squawked, running up to him and flinging her arms around his neck, “I’m glad I’ve found a drinking buddy, I don’t wanna drink on my own” she frowned, “Come on, come join me” Sarah said, pulling Jack in the direction of where she was sat, “Can I have a drink for my very special friend, bar girl” slurred Sarah winking at Jack. Jack laughed nervously as he looked up at Martha.

“Bar girl?” muttered Martha, who was clearly not impressed with Sarah’s over exuberant attitude. Ignoring the reference, Martha handed Jack a beer and cashed the money Sarah had given her. Jack could sense Martha didn’t like Sarah. Who was he kidding, he wasn’t too keen on her either but he was certainly glad she made an appearance today. If she hadn’t, Jack was sure he’d be on his way home right now. At least via Sarah, he could stay and make sure Martha was ok. Jack’s thoughts were disrupted when Sarah spoke again.

“Are you not going to ask why I’m so upset Jack?” Sarah asked, sounding disappointed that he’d not mentioned anything thus far.

“Oh umm, yeah what’s wrong?” he stumbled.

“Ohh Jacky” sighed Sarah, as she fiddled with his shirt collar, “I’m grieving” she said solemnly.

This remark made both Jack and Martha look at her. “I’m sorry Sarah, I had no idea” Jack said sympathetically, “Is there anything I can do?”

“Can you give me my brother back?” she said sternly. Jack and Martha looked at one another, neither knowing what to do or say. “Jack, I’m sorry. That was really uncalled for and you don’t deserve that” Sarah retreated, “I know you’re only being your sweet self but, I really miss him, you know? I thought things were supposed to get easier with time but even after almost three years, it still hurts” she whimpered.

“It’s ok, you don’t have to apologies to me” Jack said caringly whilst rubbing her back, “I know what it’s like to lose a loved one” he replied, smiling sympathetically. Sarah nodded in acknowledgement and wiped away the stray tear that had managed to roll down her cheek.

Martha was stood behind the counter drying the few remaining glasses before closing time, “We’re closing in ten minutes so drink up” she said softly. Jack nodded.

“It makes me really angry though Jack” Sarah continued, ignoring Martha’s last statement, “He was still so young, so much to live for. He was a good boy; the sweetest man you’d ever want to meet. We kind of drifted a part towards the latter stages before he was taken away from us. And now, in a couple of days it’s his three year death anniversary. My Adam didn’t deserve to die Jack; he didn’t” Sarah wept.

‘Adam’. The name rung around Martha’s ears, ‘Adam’. The glass that she was cleaning slipped from her grasp and smashed to the ground. The sound of breaking glass echoed in the room. Jack and Sarah jumped slightly at the unexpected noise. Both looked up at Martha who had looked as though she had seen a ghost. The colour from her cheeks had faded rapidly and her body started to shake. She dropped the small, white towel that was assisting her to dry the glasses and, taking a few steps back she muttered, “Adam…Adam…”

“Martha, what’s wrong?” Jack asked worriedly as he got up from his seating position and started to walk towards Martha; who was headed towards the exit. “Martha-” he said again, reaching out to touch her but, before he could say anything else, Martha ran out of the Club. Jack was just about to run after her when he remembered the events of the night. Martha wouldn’t talk to him, not after what he did. Berating himself out loud, Jack slouched to the floor with his head in his hands- what had he done?

He didn’t know what it was that made Martha upset but, whatever it was, she needed a friend. She needed her best friend; she needed Jack.

awww Thats was cute especially this line

He didn’t know what it was that made Martha upset but, whatever it was, she needed a friend. She needed her best friend; she needed Jack.

I need him as well :(

More Please :(

Yay an update!

I loved it, but Adam?! How does Martha know Sarah's brother. I bet he was her ex or something. But either way it can't be good.

Jack's an idiot. Just leaning in like that...honestly; engage brain before doing anything with mouth! :P Martha should forgive him though, we can't have them annoyed with each other for too long. That wouldn't be nice.

Update soon, I can't wait for more! :D

umm Adam??? Whos that?? Great chapter.. Poor Martha I thought she felt the same way.

Sarah is that one of Jack's girlfriend I can't remember if you mentioned her??

Well Well done, sorry to her about ur fan fic & ur uni work.

More soon please.

Archived