Accents

Guest alexx

I find some accents really sexy - certain Australian ones, French accents, some Scottish ones. Not so keen on Irish or Welsh, I have to admit.

There *are* lots of different Aussie accents, aren't there?! Kind of 'posher' ones, harsher ones, ones where they drag out the vowels waaaaay too loooong... lol

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmm- actually maybe someone could answer this for me? I thought 'Brad' in H and A had a slight Kiwi accent? Am I totally off base here?

And it is really weird how here in Ireland you can go ten miles and its a totally different accent! :blink:

Ask any Irish person if they can understand people from West Cork! (unless obviously they themselves are from West Cork!)- :P

I LOVE American accents! (unless it's New York)

wow- I think your the first person I've ever heard say that! If you dont mind me asking, why do you think American accents are so nice? I just find that they are boring and have no particular 'national' - or idenfiying sound, if you know what I mean? Just bland and droning... (again, unless they are from the deep south)- Welsh accents are beautiful- I agree with you-

accent pet peeve for me?

Americans who say " I 'axed' you a question", and British people (london?) who say 'innit' and 'somfing' argh

both drive me to be very unreasonable. :ph34r:

It's more to do with the language, it's so laid back... Things like "take a rain check/you guys/get outta here" etc :)

Us scousers are getting bad stick on this site today what with Ryan posting scouse jokes and you all hating our accents! :P

Fortunately we have good sense of humours too! I have numerous links to sites that rip scousers if anyone wants them.

The Scouse accent is no better and no worse than any other strong accent that some people have difficulty understanding. The only difference is that Liverpudlians are known to have a great sense of humour and don't take offence. :)

I don’t think Brad is Kiwi. Mark, from 2005 (one of the stalker suspects, Josie slapped him) was Kiwi. The most obvious example is instead of pronouncing ‘I’ within a word like ‘Fish’ its more pronounced as an ‘E’ so ‘Fesh’. And ‘A’ is pronounced within a word like ‘Satchel’ as ‘Setchel’.

How does the New Zealand accent differ from the Australian accent ? Another thing I have noticed is that the Australian accent does not seem to change much no matter where in Aus the person is from, whereas in the UK and Ireland, accents vary quite a lot from region to region.

I've noticed that too, Claire. Although SA seems to have a bit of a 'kiwi' sounding accent (in my humble opinion). Pia Corelli in H&A sounded like this. I guess there is a difference in the country areas - words seem to be spoken more slowly and drawn-out.

We need an Aussie input on this!

Who was Pia Corelli in H&A ? I can't remember her.

hmm- actually maybe someone could answer this for me? I thought 'Brad' in H and A had a slight Kiwi accent? Am I totally off base here?

And it is really weird how here in Ireland you can go ten miles and its a totally different accent! :blink:

Ask any Irish person if they can understand people from West Cork! (unless obviously they themselves are from West Cork!)- :P

I agree many accents in Ireland, North and South are sooo different from each other

I Like:

Soft Irish accents not too strong!

Deep South African accents

Aussie

Strong Manculian accents rock, Manchester is my roots, unfortunately I have a nasty common Essex accent now :(

Newcastle accents... Ant and Dec...need I say more?!

Leiscester accents - my olad art teacher and youth leader both have one and I'm not sure why but I like it!

I don't like:

Strong Liverpudlian accents

I'm not a fan of strong Welsh accents although they are friendly!

The grand old Essex accent which I hear and loathe on a daily basis...I speak it too, mine's not particularly strong but I think it just sounds so common!

Most American accents don't bother me but I hate the Boston one 80% of the time.

I think that's it really

How does the New Zealand accent differ from the Australian accent ? Another thing I have noticed is that the Australian accent does not seem to change much no matter where in Aus the person is from, whereas in the UK and Ireland, accents vary quite a lot from region to region.

I've noticed that too, Claire. Although SA seems to have a bit of a 'kiwi' sounding accent (in my humble opinion). Pia Corelli in H&A sounded like this. I guess there is a difference in the country areas - words seem to be spoken more slowly and drawn-out.

We need an Aussie input on this!

Who was Pia Corelli in H&A ? I can't remember her.

She was a policewoman who was in it two or three years ago.

Archived