Accents

Guest alexx

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like French either... or Chinese... Actually, I think it's the Chinese language I have a problem with, not the accent itself. It's the way the syllables are so drawn out. I just can't watch a Chinese film without wanting to kill something. Oddly, Korean doesn't bother me in the slightest, and yet I think they sound quite similar :huh:

Oh, and just to add to the oddness, I'm listening to what I suspect is Chinese music right now, and liking it... Drawing out syllables is fine for singing though, everyone does that...

EDIT: "Alive" by Sa Ding Ding. Just writing it down for future reference.

^lol. I thought of another one... Finnish! (its a bit like Japanese, but Finnish is much worse lol)

It is the most boring and almost robot-like accent in the world I think.

It sounds like someone going ... guhduhguhduhguhduh ...

Ok, so that made no sense at all to you people :lol: but in my head I know what I'm trying to say :P

^^ I know what you mean about the finnish!!! Lol, that made me laugh.

I find aussie accents quite cute in men. And one of my best friends is Danish and he has the swweeetest English accent.

I agree with whoever said French accent puts them off sometimes. And when I'm trying to talk Italian to a Sicilian, you pretty much want to ring their necks sometimes :D They can make it so difficult for you with their damn thick southern accent.

Also, I am 'very posh' (to quote a friend of mine) and I happen to know that that puts people off sometimes. Apparently it makes me sound like a spoilt brat! Daddy buy me a pony, that sort of thing. Which, for the record, is completely not true :D

But, to answer your question, really bogan accents do put me off. Most of the time because I mishear what they are actually trying to say. There are some god awful english accents out there.

This is a funny thread. I just hope no one gets offended.

I used to really get annoyed at some accents, mostly the one I could not understand. I do find some accents in England quite hard to understand. But the more you listen more you understand. But I really do find it so awesome with accents, I really do. However, there was a time I felt I didn't like accents too much, yet I do have an accent myself.

Then one day I found my now to be future man, my fiancé, and he's English, and he speaks British, and that is a strong accent, but I came to fall in love with his accent and now I just love to listen to his voice speak, and his lovely British. I really find it so hot. So love can do a lot to you. I am so in love with him. and he came with an accent, and because it's my sweeties accent I love it. Now I just wish I had a British accent myself, lol. And that is very tricky, because he always tells me I am too American when I speak :P

There are many Swedish accents that I just can not stand, though. And I wish I didn't feel this way. lol

I LOVE accents. In almost a dangerous way ... in that it doesn't matter what someone looks like, or what they are doing or saying, if they have an accent I like ... mainly British, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, South African or Canadian ... I'll just sit there and listen and agree with them. It's got me into some strange situations with those guys that stand around in shopping centres trying to sell things, that's for sure.

But I often find that my accent/s put people off ... I generally speak with quite a rounded accent, which is unusual for the area I was raised in ... most people from my area have super-Australian accents, but because I have done lots of singing and speech training, I tend to be a bit posh, and some people have mistaken me for a Brit before. I also find myself having to apologise whenever I speak French with my housemate ... she learnt French from a friend of hers from the south of France, whereas my French teacher was from Quebec, so I speak with a French Canadian accent ... it makes people laugh at me :( Which will be rather embarassing when I start French lessons at the Alliance Francais next week ...

• 5 weeks later...

I know the English accent definitely does it for me.

And although I have a slight one myself (for some odd reason, my dad has one because he lived there but i don't know how I got it considering I had an Australian!), a Southern/Texas accent never fails to make me go weak in the knees. One of my teachers in 5th year had one. Best class ever. I actually listened :P

Archived