Fan Fic Challenge Entries 2006/07

Guest AngelRose

Now I am happy to announce the winner (despite the lateness of this - for which I apologise). As I have said, the entries really were stunning. :)

In third place was Unfinished Business by SfanS.

In second place came Mourning by emmasi.

And winning is One Kiss, Goodbye by sevenpuddings.

Well done to Jess, I truly believe you deserved to win for your originality and obvious flair - though you were given a run for your money! :P Thank You for really trying something different.

But even more importantly, thank you to Eli Roenning, SfanS, emmasi, aedjude, jack/martha and furrylogic for entertaining us all so much with your writing! I really hope you continue to write more fics (because I'd certainly read them) and also enter the challenge again. :D

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations, sevenpuddings :D

And thanks to everyone that voted and reviewed, muchly appreciated!

And I just have to say something to I Love Music and jackandmartha!!!, now that we don't have to hide our identity anymore: I was SO glad when you commented on leaving the part about the reader getting to make up his/her own mind about what Noah told Kit! Thank you very much, I was so afraid no one would care about it!

Well done Jess, I had a sneaking suspicion that might be your entry :wink: It's great that when we start the challenges again in the new year, possibly with a new format that we're kind of back where we started with the original challenge setter. It's like we've gone full circle!

Well done also to everyone who entered, the stories were all fantastic and especially to those who've never entered something like this before. I think the challenges are such a huge way for people to improve their writing and I hope people got that from this. I also hope nobody took any criticism they were given to heart, no-one who reviews is perfect and no-one means to upset or offend you, everyone just wants to help you improve. Also well done to Jem for making it a close run competition.

And of course a big thank you to Jade for a fabulous competition.

I'll keep this thread here for 24 hours and then I'll move it to the library and in the meantime if you want to post your re edited entries please start up a new thread as you would do for a one shot and one of the librarians will move it over for you.

Can I just point everyone in the direction of the challenge thread for Anna's christmas challenge, lets get into the christmas spirit everyone! (I sound like a cheerleader now...)

LoL, Give me a C :D

Cheerleading is cool though!

Thanks guys. I actually thought my entry wouldn't win, because it didn't seem complete enough. I hated the lack of backstory for each couple, which is why I'm intending on turning it from a one shot into a story, focusing on making the couples un-smiliar from one another.

I'd also like to thank ILM for her critical review, as it's made me re-think the Calean/Ron pairing (which was supposed to be in Arthurian times) and I completely got what you meant about it not sounding right. Thanks for the comment about the Victorian themed one though, I guess studying 19th Century literature for a year paid off finally :)

And congratulations to all the other entrants too, the stories are becoming such high quality these days, I can't wait to see what people come up with in the next challenge which will be up in the New Year, with a new format... athough I already know exactly what the challenge is going to be :P

During junior high we used a similar tecnique when we wrote stories (I had an amazing Norwegian teacher).

After writing the first draft we sat together in groups and reviewed each other's stories, and then discussed. We even did this on term exams.

Now most people wrote things like "good story," and, "I like it" and me and a few other girls who really like writing complained about this, and we were put together in one group. We really worked hard on the reviews (even though we only got a few minutes on each story) and to get to my point about good reviews and how they help: we were four girls in a class of 54, none of us got a grade lower than A (In Norwegian, not all subjects!) for two years, and there were no one else in that class who got an A during those two years.

So believe me, I know that a good review can make a good story better!

I started High school this year, and I almost dropped to a C after the first assignment. (I got an A later thank God!)

And then a bit off topic: Sevenpuddings, your title says "Chuck and Cindy" isn't that the couple from Elizabethtown? I know it's a weird question, I just had to ask!

LoL. Yep. I love that movie, and how random Chuck and Cindy are in it :D

And I know, the best reviews are the ones that actually make you think about your story and how it can be improved, which is why this challenge is so excellent, brilliant reviews that (hopefully) don't hold anything back.

I wish we'd had something like that in school... it sounds like actual fun!

Yeah it is! But as it is the same as we do here, it's also different, because you know who you're writing to.

And it can be easier when you can see the person you are writing to and you know each other. That way you can also explain and discuss more.

But on the other hand, writing without knowing who you're writing to makes it easier to be more fair. But then again, if you know the person it's sometimes easier to be fair to that person because you know her/his writing style and know you don't misunderstood.

Not sure if that made any sense at all...

Congrats, Jess!

I knew you were going to win...original and cool. Confused me, but that's only because I'm thick!

Thanks to anyone who voted for me...that was really nice!

I'had never actually done a challenge before, and'I was surprised to get third!

Good luck to everyone next time, and well done to all participants!

Random: I've already done my Christmas entry. I got so excited I just went and wrote it!

Archived