Fan Fic Challenge Entries 2006/07

Guest AngelRose

My turn! :)

A Love Before

This was really nice writing. Although it was short, the words the writer used definitely captured the emotions well. The detail was good, and it definitely is a shame that you couldn’t write more for the Challenge! :P Was the big ‘shock’ supposed to be that the crying was over Vinnie? I’m not sure, but it was still good. And like Nicole said, a little more emphasis on the prompt word would have been nice, but doesn’t really matter. Nice work.

Months Left

*Laughs* Okay well obviously it wasn’t supposed to be funny, but the whole bluntless of the situation was pretty random. But a good random. Yes, definitely. The writing was good, and I know it was hard cos of the limit, but a little more detail would be nice. I’m sure it would have been fantastic in a long fic. Also, the big ‘shock’ was good…wait, well it wasn’t really a shock, but it was dramatic. Good work.

Missing Milko

Oh my gosh! :o This was brilliant! The title instantly grabbed me, and I was like ‘Yay, another Sally fic!’ but this was sad. I was almost in tears because again the emotions were perfectly explained with the words! Also, it definitely fitted in well with Flynn’s death and Sally’s character. On the show I was a bit peeved with how the storyline was done, but you just filled it up. Great work!

Red Wine

I really liked this story. The dialogue and emotions were good, and of course, it kept me gripped to the end! I had to laugh when I found out it was Jack and Mattie, because it definitely didn’t seem like their characters! But, I suppose it probably wasn’t meant too. Anyway, the writing was fab and the writer definitely has skill! Great work.

Lost

This was a really great story! The energy and activity was very infectious, and kept me very gripped. The title matched well, and the writing was well-done. Just like Nicole said, I really want a sequel! Count me as another fan! J

Well, it was a hard choice but I’m gonna have to go for Missing Milko. As this Challenge is supposed to be judged on the prompts and shock, I think this fic deserved it. Both these two things were incorporated well, and the whole emotions, storyline etc. was very well written. Congrats to everyone though, you are all very talented. :)

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, first of all, I loved reading these stories. To me, they seemed to be more intense than past entries, and I loved that, because I'm such an angst/drama fan! I felt the writing quality was amazing, and the desciptive language (as you'll read) was out of this world!

-

Red Wine – Intriguing title, already using one of the prompts. Throughout the story, I found myself even more intrigued by the characters. Who were they, where were they, what were they doing there? The descriptive language used was overwhelming, and I felt the red, which I assume was your prompt, rather than just read it.

“hidden between the dark crimson materials.”

“enticing me into our sinful state”

“his plush lips”

Read those lines, I thought about red, and I felt red, I felt the heat between the characters, and I felt their state of ignorance they appeared to be living in. And I was shocked, when I reached the ending, and the identity of the characters were revealed. I never imagined that pairing.

However

I felt the story moved at too fast a pace. Like it was an ending of a tale that we needed to have read to understand it. There was no background story, no reasoning as to why and how they had found themselves there. I could believe their final feelings, but unless I got myself that background story, I could never see those characters doing that. Thus, I am begging for a sequel, a prequel, something that would let me see how they had come to live in this angst filled state.

Missing Milko – So, I think the Milko references were lost on me. I was too young to remember Sally and Milko, and until researching who/what Milko was, I wasn’t sure. So the title was interesting, but didn’t initially draw me in.

However, the words and descriptions did. Throughout the entire story, you maintained Sally’s complete, almost façade about how content she was in living that lonely life so very well. She was an outsider, looking in to a life she’d had, into the life she’d lost. And I felt so much empathy for the scared child that resurfaced looking for that childhood friend that wouldn’t even come to her rescue.

Her inner monologue is amazing, but I can’t help and feel that something is missing. How did she come to be surrounded by only couples? Why are Robbie and Tasha there, when they really have little to do with the character outside the school environment? I know on the show they have their interactions, but I don’t know if it was plausible to have them in that situation, if only to emphasise the relationships she was surrounded by.

The shock, while minimal, still impacts on the story. Sally is leaving her home and her life for another world, and that, in itself, is a huge shock. I know it occurred on the show, but it was still shocking them. One would believe she needed to be surrounded by her friends, but your justification of this was so beautiful and moving, I truly believed she didn’t see any other way.

Months Left – Okay, so the title reveals the prompt. But then the prompt makes the story way too rushed. You had some room to play with, granted the word limit was down this challenge, but I still feel as though the feelings weren’t explored as deeply as one could have. Characterisation of each chosen character was a bit off too, I really couldn’t see half of the scenario playing out in my mind. Just stretch things out a little more. Add some feelings, some emotion, some description… something that showed how Sally was feeling through the month that she had left to live.

The ideas are there, they just need to be expanded.

A Love Before – The title caught me before any of the other stories. It was surrounded by a certain degree of mystery and charm and it drew me to the story. And from them on I was lost. I didn’t know who the character was, but I felt their pain, their suffering, the loneliness she felt having sent him away.

I loved the descriptive language used. I felt the thunder chime in my ears, I felt as if she believed she was an outsider looking into the life that had just fallen apart in front of her very eyes. Even if you hadn’t meant that as your prompt, I loved that I still felt that way, and that subconsciously you had used the prompt.

The shock, as with Missing Milko, was subtle yet strong to that effect. Not knowing which character was speaking until the final moments holds this suspense around it, and I loved how three of these stories have done that. Its like, you’ve wanted to tell a story, and it doesn’t matter until the final moments from who’s point of view it is from, as long as you connect with the feelings. And you did that, and I loved that I connected with a character I generally dislike. That’s amazing writing for you!

Lost – The first thing I noticed about this story was, unlike the others, the title seemed almost irrelevant to the story. I didn’t feel as if the central character was lost at all, rather, he had this passion that was driving him towards one single goal, saving whoever was out in the water. So perhaps that was a little off putting, as I feel titles are very significant in the overall feel of a story.

I loved the description. It was amazing. I could feel the struggle, the pain, the agony, the torment. And that’s the mark of a great writer. But I felt, towards the end, that maybe the final moments became a bit too, mixed up. As if the ending needed to be more ambiguous for it to work. The prompts were used well, they weren’t over hashed, they were just sitting there gently in the background. And the shock was subtle, as the others have been. And it has an okay effect, but I feel that if the ending had been left more open, the shock may have been greater. I do feel as though it was complete though. That this was a simple, stunning piece of writing that doesn’t need anything more to describe the feelings/moment.

-

In the end though, even though I know who wrote each story, I had to vote. A Love Before is possibly the most beautiful one shot (almost dribble) that I've ever read. It had me in tears, because when I found out who it was, I had all the empathy in the world for them. I know its almost biased of me to say I'm half voting for this because its a Leah/Vinnie fic, but the emotions that shone though just touched me completely. The prompts were used subtly, and for that I am grateful, and the shock came because of the characters chosen, and I loved that.

-

Well done to everyone who entered though, these stories were seriously amazing, and it was a pleasure to read them!

A Love Before

Some really emotive writing. Great use of descriptive words to sum up how the character was feeling. The shock was subtle but I think it worked and I liked the way you drew it out until the end. Really simple, I loved the way it was very few actions but lots of emotion and detailed description. The only criticism is that I did find it a bit confusing at first and had to re-read it a couple of times before I got the gist of what you intended to do. I also wasn’t entirely sure what the prompt was but it certainly didn’t detract from a well-written piece. Well done.

Lost

I really liked this. The prompt I assume was thunder and I felt like I could almost hear it rumbling, feel the electricity in the air. Your description was fantastic and I really felt like I understood how he felt. I felt more shocked with the sadness of the ending than the identity of the characters. I would definitely love a sequel. Altogether a really well written piece, I enjoyed this a lot.

Months Left

I thought this started well with lots of potential but I felt you rushed it a little. A bit more description about how she felt about her illness, how other people felt watching her to die would have increased the sadness in this. I know there was a word limit but I thought this was too short, you could have developed it so much more. I assume the shock was that Sally died but I didn’t really find it very shocking because it had been built up to throughout the story. Maybe if you’d have left the identity of the character until the very end it would have increased the power of the shock. This was a great idea with lots of potential.

Missing Milko

I found this very repetitive in places. I liked the ambiguity of the name and I liked the references to Milko and how Sally missed him. It wasn’t really much of a shock and I think alone might have been a better word prompt. Some of the description was good. I know having everyone else in couples was necessary in order for her to feel an outsider but it annoyed me a bit. I know Alf is a single character and therefore he wouldn’t have fitted in but surely if Sally was leaving the Bay he’d be there? I thought the ending was good though, liked that even though it was so sad it still made you smile. I liked the fact that you gave much more closure to the Sally/Flynn storyline than Home and Away did. It annoyed me the way they brushed it under the carpet too easily, especially now Brad’s on the scene.

Red Wine

I liked the way you used the prompt a lot more literally than any other story but it didn’t feel forced at all. Your description was excellent. Even though I didn’t now what character it was I could almost see the scene playing out in my minds eye. The pairing of Jack and Matilda was shocking but because of the chemistry between the characters it didn’t feel like that much of a big deal. (That’s a compliment by the way). It felt like you’d cut a chunk out of a longer story rather than being a piece on it’s own, I know that was due to the nature of the challenge but I’d certainly like to read a sequel to this.

Difficult decision, all these entries were really good but I’m going to go with Lost, Red wine was a pretty close runner up though. Congratulations to everyone who entered on the quality of writing and for having the guts to enter. Well done.xx

• 1 month later...

CHALLENGE #4

A Forbidden Love

Hayley is now happy as a single mum with her two beautiful children but when the wind blows she will always swear that she can see Kim in the ocean, and when she does she say to Claudia ‘there’s Daddy’, he loved you very much even though he never got to see you, he is still looking down on you all the time.”

And then Hayley will turn to her son Noah and say ‘you were named after your daddy, he was a very special; good man called Noah’

Noah loved his little sister Claudia and they were all very cosy together. All this may seem like a happy fairytale but it wasn’t always a story for a child’s book.

Hayley had so many memories. This is how her love story began...

Kim lay on his back on the dirty grey floor of the gym. Wearing his normal white vest and black tracksuit bottoms, he thrusted himself under the upside-down black treadmill, which had broken down that day. As he started to tighten new bolts and loosen old rusty screws, he heard the faint sound of footsteps; they were coming closer and closer and getting louder and louder. He glanced to his right but from under the treadmill but all he could see were a pair of black high-heels.

'Rachel' he thought to himself and suddenly felt a ray of happiness after his bad day at work.

"Hey there handsome!” Said a voice. It was soothing young woman’s voice but it wasn’t Rachel’s and it wasn’t a voice he recognised.

"Nah that can't be right", he whispered and he slid out from underneath the treadmill and slowly got up. But there was no one in the gym anymore. It was deserted but he hadn’t imagined it, that soothing voice.

“In here”, the voice said again.

He walked into Noah's bar and sure enough a woman was sitting at the bar but he couldn’t tell who it was from behind. She wore a long bright ruffled pink skirt and a white knitted cardigan; she had long wavy blonde hair which sat perfectly on her shoulders. Suddenly she span in her chair and gestured to him with open arms.

"Hayley!” he shouted a little startled but before he could think she ran and hugged him, he didn’t know what to think!

A thousand questions popped into his head but they were all just in a muddle but before he could put any of them into words, she let go of her tight grasp on him and exclaimed, "I know what you're thinking but I have left Scott.”

Before Kim could answer she spoke again. "I wanted to come back to Summer Bay. I was so homesick! And Scott completely changed over there, he wasn’t the nice, kind gentle man I fell in love with, he was a monster. It wasn’t working so we eventually broke up and after a long tough five month custody battle Scott got Noah. I miss my baby so much but there is nothing I can do about it. After a while I started to realise something,. Kim, it was you I wanted to marry, not Scott. I love you!”

A little overwhelmed and stunned, Kim got into the car and drove Hayley back to the house where he lived with Jack. He dropped his keys and lay on the red soft couch. It was heaven after the day he had, when Hayley took his hand and gently pulled so he stood up. Hayley slowly kissed Kim on the lips, a lingering kiss, the kind Kim had longed for since she left. He had thought he loved Rachel but the spark wasn’t there. Hayley was the one he loved.

Next morning Hayley woke up, rolled over and smiled. But Kim was gone. She dressed in yesterday’s clothes and walked down to the beach. The sun was shining so brightly and the sand was golden; the waves were big and strong like mountains and like the ones Noah used to love. She put her hands over her eyes to shield them from the bright yellow sun and whispered, “Yep this is Summer Bay, I’m home.”

In the perfectly clear blue ocean she could see Kim on his surf board and she knew straight away he needed some time to think over things and make a decision. She couldn’t rush him, so she decided to go to see Leah in the Diner.

The Diner hadn’t changed much apart from the menu. It was still the same place she had known and loved for a huge part of her life. Colleen was bickering about something and Irene was rushing back and forth from table to table. She didn’t even notice Hayley and Hayley was glad as she didn’t want a big fuss. She went on through to the kitchen to see Leah.

“I have missed you so much! You and Kim, that’s great!” Leah exclaimed, her smiled as bright as ever. “But you don’t look too pleased.”

“I am, I am in love! But I am not too sure about Kim. He has a girlfriend. Rachel. O my gosh, what have I done?”

Leah frowned. “I love you Hayley but if Kim is still seeing Rachel...I can’t approve of this relationship. I’m sorry.”

Sadly Hayley walked along the lane towards a vaguely familiar building, the re-built Palace where she had once lived happily with her boyfriend Noah.

“When you were here Noah, it was so simple. I loved you and you loved me,” she sighed.

There was a voice behind her. “Hayls...”

“Kim! You scared me! Listen about last night I know you have a girlfriend so it shouldn’t have…”

“Stop! I love you! And I want to tell the world!”

Smiling, Kim handed her a small brown package wrapped in cream ribbon. She carefully untied the ribbon and opened the package. It was a diamond necklace.

“It was my mum’s,” Kim said gently. “I want you to have it”.

It was sad for Rachel when Kim told her, but after a while they all moved on. There would be someone else for Rachel. Someone who loved her as much as Kim and Hayley loved each other.

One night on holiday Hayley came home to their hotel room. The floor had been scattered with red rose petals and there were candles everywhere. The sweet smelling aroma filled the room. Then suddenly someone tapped her shoulder.

“Will you marry me Hayley?”

“Oh, Kim!”

“This is a bit more romantic than my first proposal! Remember?”

“Yes, yes, yes, yes! I will marry you!”

He handed her a silver diamond ring with one large diamond in the middle and several pink diamante around it. It was beautiful. Like the night. And they popped open the champagne.

The next months were filled with wedding plans. The day finally arrived and everything was going well until Hayley received a text from her ex, Scott reading, ‘Don’t do it or I will make you regret it’.

Leah tried to reassure her. “People say things when they’re angry, Hayley. Things they don’t mean.”

They got into the limo and drove along the side roads out from Summer Bay to the cottage. Kim glanced back to watch a white limo pull up at the cottage. The door opened and out stepped Leah, Sally, Martha and Tasha, dressed in red silk floor length dresses and silk ribbons in their hair. They had bunches of white roses in their hands and a special glint in their eyes, as if to say ‘Kim she is stunning and you have done the right thing’.

They formed a line to the right and then Hayley got out. She wore a white meringue dress which was laced up at the back in a corset type way and the diamond necklace that Kim had given her and the engagement ring to match. She had the biggest smile to match too. Everyone wept with happiness as the ‘I do’s’ were said and registrar had finished....

"STOP!!!"

Was shouted from the back. It was Scott. He was holding something. A gun, Hayley realised, watching as though she was in a nightmare...

BANG!!! Kim lay on the floor in a puddle of blood. Scott had tried to shoot Hayley but her husband had jumped in front.

"Kim!!!" Hayley shouted. Screaming, she got on her knees, her white dress turning red but it didn’t matter. It was too late, he was gone forever.

“Call 911!” Someone shouted.

"I didn’t even get to tell him!" Hayley sobbed in Irene’s arms.

"Tell him what dal?" Irene asked holding her tight.

"I'm pregnant!” Hayley screeched. The tears streamed down her face. He was gone and he wasn’t coming back.

But Hayley still has her dreams. They are beautiful dreams. Happy dreams. Such as Kim reading Claudia and Noah a bedtime story and when she walks in the door, all three come to give her a kiss. She wakes with tears.

And Hayley will take her two small children down to the sea and when the wind blows she will always swear that she can see Kim in the ocean, and when she does she say to Claudia ‘there’s Daddy’, he loved you very much even though he never got to see you, he is still looking down on you all the time.”

And then Hayley will turn to her son Noah and say ‘you were named after your daddy, he was a very special; good man called Noah.’

And Hayley cries then. Happy tears. Because she knows Kim is still watching over them all.

THE END

Once Upon A Time...

Prologue

A tree.

Children’s laughter bubbling forth from within its depths.

The vines overgrown, twisting and weaving, finding their way to one another. Almost as if strangling it to death.

But it screamed life.

Another hidden giggle, carefully muffled so as not to give away their hiding place.

“Shh. They can’t find us. I won’t let them.” He whispered to her. For her, this was just a game. But for him, it was so much more. “I don’t want them to take you away from me.” He muttered quietly.

She smiled up at him. She knew. She was leaving but there was nothing she could do about it. At seven years old she knew more then she ought to. But right now she just wanted to be immersed in their world once more. A world of make believe, of friendship, of young love.

It was that world that she was aching not to leave. The world where only the two of them existed.

Slowly she glanced across at him. His sandy blonde hair falling across his deep blue eyes. Quietly she shifted herself closer to him and whispered to him “I’ll never forget you V.J.”

Placing a soft kiss on his cheek she didn’t wait for his response. Gathering all he courage she had she ran for her life.

He sat stunned, his hand slowly reaching for his cheek. He could see her dark hair cascading down her back. But he couldn’t chase her. Once she made her mind up she was unstoppable, something he loved about her. Softly he sighed, “I’ll never forget you either Lily.” And smiled sadly to himself as he watched her figure fall out of sight.

-

She didn’t realise she was crying until she tasted the salty tears on her lips. Hastily she brushed them away. A memory. That’s all it was. But even now, nine years later, it was still the most real thing she had to hold on to.

Moving to Queensland had been one of the hardest days of her life. Never had she felt so alone before. A feeling that had never gone away.

She had cried herself to sleep for weeks – mourning a life her parents hadn’t thoughts she’d miss that much.

Slowly she had become used to her new life. But there was a spark missing from within her. A passion that had never been rekindled.

A loneliness no one could replace.

-

As he walked through the crowded halls he paid no attention to the stares he received. He’d seen them all before, the same kids, giving him the same looks, for the past nine years.

Ever since she’d left.

He couldn’t help the small smile that played on his lips at the thought of her.

Lily.

Since she’d disappeared from his life nothing had ever been the same. Sure his life was ok, but it had never really been the same.

He’d never really been the same.

And he couldn’t help but feel the loneliness that came over him every time he spared a thought for her.

-

Watching the raindrops descend down the window a new thought now occupied her mind. Finally she was going back. So many years later she was going home.

They had told her a week ago, announced that they felt the need for change. And something deep inside of her had stirred. For the first time in nine years she had smiled, really smiled at them.

For the first time in nine years she felt hope ignite in her soul.

She was going home.

-

He sat stunned at the news he’d just heard. His hand shakily feeling his cheek as the memories came flooding back.

Her dark hair flowing down her back, blowing in the gentle summer breeze. Her breath, soft against his skin.

Her voice, sweetly murmuring those words he’d never forgotten.

Life without her had never been the same. Growing up without a father, his father, had made things hard. But when Lily was there she made that ache go away. He had never known how much like him he had become. Lily had been his world. His everything. When she had left he’d shut the world out. A life without her wasn’t the same. He’d been left with a hole no one could fill.

Now… she was coming home.

-

Laughter rang out, waking her from her sleep. The giggles of a distant memory bubbling forth having been cleverly concealed for the years past.

Sighing and looking out the window she spotted the sign “Welcome to Summer bay” looming in the distance.

Home.

Pulling into the driveway of her childhood home she could see it hadn’t changed. Perhaps it was even more welcoming now than it had been when she had left.

Cautiously creeping in the front door she peeked around the corner, taking in the dust covered mantle pieces and creaking floorboards.

Walking out onto the back veranda she took in the bush land surrounding the property.

Without thinking her feet lead her to a path hidden under years of dead leaves, but one she could never forget.

-

Footsteps.

Slowly crunching the fallen leaves. The surrounding trees muffling the sound.

No one had been here in all the years, except him. It had been his sanctuary, his life.

They were coming closer. Their strength imminently apparent. Like they knew the pathway on which they were walking, hidden long ago. As if they knew.

No one knew the tree was here. A tree that had hidden depths of a haven, a hide out those two children had found. Somewhere that had become almost a home to them.

Someplace where he felt at home, in a world full of strangers.

-

Gazing at the landscape before her, tears began to well in her eyes. Her breath caught in her throat as she saw my childhood hide away. So many memories began flooding back.

The tree, its vines still strangling it to death. But now, it seemed to have given in to their hold on it. Slowly it was dying inside and out.

Somewhat like she had been. Something she didn’t want to happen again.

A glimmer of something seized her attention.

Sandy blonde hair.

-

Little by little he had made his way out of the tree, making sure to go so slowly so that whoever it was didn’t get the better of him.

Gradually he peeked out of the tree and was startled by whom he had come face to face with.

-

It was their 6th birthday and all the kids from their kindergarten class had been invited for the party. But all they really wanted was to be together.

Lost in the world they created for themselves.

Quietly they had slipped out the back door and made a run for it.

Her dress flying in the wind, the fairy wings on her back making her feel as if she could fly. She had never felt so free.

She danced in a circle around him, laughing in delight as a look of content crossed his features, his blue eyes coming alive.

She smiled shyly and graciously said “Happy Birthday V.J. This has been the best day of my life.” Laughing at her shyness she began dancing and singing one of her fairy songs.

And he, he sat and watched intently, gazing at her innocent form, and murmured gently “Happy birthday too Lily. Ill never forget this as long as I live.” And sat back to watch her captivating appearance, as if the whole world watched her dance.

As the sun set, her wings glimmered in the light, making them come alive, and he had never been more satisfied with the world they became lost in.

-

The memories of the fairy wings glimmering in the fading sunlight, of her face laughing in delight came flooding back. Of her smiling face and her dark hair.

Of her eyes, those dancing eyes.

He had stared for so many hours at those eyes. And spent so many years trying to forget them.

But now they were there, staring right back at him. Her eyes, seemingly deep with thought and worry now.

She smiled at him, and for the first time in nine years he felt a light inside him come alive.

As the sun began to grow fainter behind them she seemed to glow with a light, a fairy princess come home.

A fairy queen.

-

The first thing she noticed were his broad shoulders. Wide, strong, manly.

His sandy blonde hair hung low across his eyes, tussled across his head as only the surf can do.

But those eyes, staring so intently at hers. They were the same. Still that vivid blue with that spark of life floating around within.

The same eyes that had haunted her memories for years. Those same eyes that had kept her alive.

-

“Hello Lily.” He said softly to her, her eyes beginning to dance with emotion, feeling, love.

“Hello V.J.” She smiled tenderly at him, a feeling coming over her she hadn’t felt in nine years. “I’m home.”

Red

He was happy. Not excitement happy or loved up happy but he was happy and that was all that mattered to him. He blocked the fact that it wasn't a natural happiness and the glass bottle in his hand was the cause of the feeling.

He felt a tingling sensation on his bare feet and a bright grin broke out onto his face. He lifted his head up slightly and squinted down his body, finding nothing but darkness. At first he thought that he couldn't get his eyes to open. That was until he remembered that it was three in the morning and the sky was pitch black.

He slowly lifted himself into sitting position and took another gulp of drink, finishing off the bottle and throwing it away. He watched with blurred vision as it fell to the sand a few feet away, making no sound as it landed. He dug his feet into the cold sand, gasping as the tingling sensation got more intense. All he could hear was the ocean before him. It filled his ears and blocked out everything else, leaving him in a drunken trance. That was all she needed.

She slowly made her way down to him, her bare feet feeling the same tingle in the cold sand. She had felt the tingle the first time she had ever set foot on a beach and the feeling had never faded. She had never wanted it to fade. The tingle travelled up her body, her mind nearly zapped of any thoughts.

"Want some company?" she asked the boy. He squinted up at her and she gave him a smile, his eyes going to her shiny red lips. As she stood still the night breeze blew her red skirt, goose bumps appearing up on her legs. She didn't care though; the feeling was welcomed.

"Take a seat," he slurred, patting the sand. She sat down and buried her feet into the soft cold sand, smiling as the tingling feeling advanced up her legs. The smile stayed on her lips as she lifted her head up to the sky, her eyes closed. He watched her, completely amazed in his drunken haze. He realized he had either fallen asleep on the beach or was completely wasted. There was no way she was sat right by him, keeping him company. He wasn't that lucky.

"It's a nice night," she murmured, one eye opening and looking at him.

"I guess," he slurred, continuing his staring.

"Shouldn't you be tucked up in bed. I'm sure you have school tomorrow," she said, looking at him fully with big beautiful eyes.

"School sucks," he said, the grin that had been tainting his lips fading. "Life sucks."

"I could try and make it better," she said, leaning in close. He looked at her with curious eyes, slowly beginning to sober up.

"How?" he foolishly asked. She laughed and the sound was like music to his ears. Even in the darkness he could see the sparkle in her eyes.

"Oh I think we can come up with something," she whispered in his ear. He looked away from her eyes and down to her lips, noticing how red they were. They looked so tempting to his drunken mind that he couldn't stop himself. He moved closer to her and his lips connected with hers. He waited for the shove and the slap but there was nothing. At first it started as a sloppy kiss but with just a hint of guidance from the Goddess with him it became more. Her hand went to his neck, her nails dragging gently along his cold skin. His hand went to the back of her head, his fingers entwined in her long curly hair. Her lips left his and went to his neck. He had thought the tingling sensation had been intense on his feet but nothing compared to what he felt at that moment. It didn't stop him asking though.

"What's your name?" he asked quietly. She didn't answer him; she just kept up the assault on his neck and her hands moved under his t-shirt, her nails biting into his chest. Within seconds he couldn't remember what he had asked her. He tried again with a different question.

"What are you doing?" he asked, realizing afterwards that he was an idiot. As soon as he said it she pulled away and stared at him. She smirked at him before roughly pushing him down and climbing on top. She stared down at him, the sparkle in her eyes showing up more. In silence her hands left him and went to her own shirt, her fingers undoing the buttons slowly. As the last button came undone the smile on her face disappeared, lust taking over. Within seconds the red shirt was off and thrown into the sand...

As the sun came up in the early morning sky she stared out to the sea. Her long curly hair fell loosely round her face as looked down, buttoning up her shirt. When she was fully dressed she glanced at the boy passed out by her side. He looked like an angel as he slept on, unaware that he was still on the beach. She smirked and knelt down in the sand, kissing his forehead.

"Lucas. Dear Lucas," she murmured. "If only things were more simple."

When Lucas woke up a few minutes later she was gone, leaving him debating whether it had happened at all.

-

She came to him again, this time when he was sober. He had been laid in his bed, wide awake, as he remembered her. The gentle scraping on the door had alerted him to her. At first he had thought it was someone robbing the place but, as he slowly got out of his bed and opened the door, he realized that no one would bother robbing his area of the house.

He had waited a few seconds and listened to the visitor move around. It was when everything went silent that he reacted. He slowly opened the door and squinted out into the dimly lit room, finding her immediately. She just smiled up at him with the shiny red lips he knew oh so well.

"How did you..."

"None of that matters," she said, halting his words. She stood up from the sofa and stretched, the resemblance to a cat phasing the teenager. He glanced her up and down, taking in the short red dress she was wearing.

"The only thing I know about you is that you like red," he said, warning signs beginning to go off in his head. One look at the beautiful smile and any thoughts he had were completely gone again.

"I can't stay long," she told him.

"Why come here at all?" he asked slowly. The smile from that night appeared on her lips and she moved over to him, her lips seeking out his. He tried to push her away but she had strength that he had never felt before. Her hands went to his bare chest and she pushed him back into his bedroom, closing the door quietly behind them.

"We shouldn't be doing this. I don't even know your name," he said, trying to pull away. The smirk that he had found so breathtaking that night appeared and he was a goner. She pushed him right onto the bed and pounced on him.

When Lucas came round from sleep the next morning he found Matilda standing over him, tears in her eyes and a red bra in her hand. When she chucked it on to his chest he flinched, looking down and finding scratch marks on his skin. When Lucas glanced back up, he found disapproving looks from his family.

-

It was over. She sat across from them with a smirk on her face. She was the one handcuffed to the table and the one looking at a future in a prison cell and yet she was the one smirking at them.

"Game over," Peter said, satisfied with the result. His head hurt and his face would be bruised for a few days but he had caught the bitch. She just continued to smirk. Her attention went from Detective Baker and to the other police officer in the room. His arm was in a cast and he looked pale but he was there to see her confessions. That was all Jack Holden cared about. And yet she just continued to smirk at the both of them, as if she knew something they didn't.

"I think we're done here," Peter said, Jack agreeing. Her eyes stayed on Jack and she watched him stand up and go to the door. Just as he was about to walk out she began to talk slowly.

"How is Lucas? I hope the scratches weren't too deep. I was trying to be gentle with him but I just get so carried away," she said. His head whipped round and he looked at her, his face growing even more pale. Her smirk grew bigger. It took two police officers and Peter to stop Jack doing something they knew he would regret.

-

He stared down at the envelope on the ground, seeing his name written in red ink instantly. When they asked about the post, he just picked it up and stuffed it into his pocket, telling them it was nothing. He didn't want to read it. He wanted to throw it away and go to his family. Talk and laugh with them like he had for the last two months. He had almost forgotten about everything. Almost.

It was midnight when he opened the letter, taking in the neat writing in red ink. He read it over multiple times before the words sunk in. Even then he didn't fully understand it. She had killed people. She had hurt people he knew and loved. Yet he couldn't stop the feelings he felt as he read the words...

When Jack found his brother in the morning he was barely breathing, passed out in a pool of drying blood from the cuts on his arms. The cuts that spelt out two familiar names.

-

He saw her every single time he closed his eyes. He could feel her hands on his body and her soft lips on his. He had tried to cut out the feelings but had failed. Now he was the laughing stock of the Bay, everyone knowing that he, Lucas Holden, had fallen for the Summer Bay stalker.

The second time he tried to make the memories fade they decided that he needed help. With everyone judging him he was shipped off to a retreat. No one ever said mental institute to his face. They just talked in quiet voices about how Sarah Lewis met her at an institute.

-

She had found him with ease. A new name and a new image for herself. An occupation as a therapist for teenagers and she was ready. When she had found him she had done whatever it took to get herself assigned to his case. She had walked into the room full of confidence. He had come back from lunch to find her sat on his bed, waiting for him with a familiar smirk on her face.

She got a bright smile in return.

-

The call had been short and simple. The drive to their destination hadn't been. On the way Peter had only spoken once and that was to tell Jack that she had escaped from prison. The only thing Jack had done was give the detective directions to where Lucas was.

After a drive that seemed to have lasted forever, the race to Lucas's room had been a blur. They had raced up the flights of stairs and found the room, bursting in. Time came to a halt as they took in the scene.

She was on the floor, dark red blood tainted her top and her hands. A shard of glass lay by his feet, his eyes watching her. As the spark in her eyes dulled he felt nothing but relief. Eve Jacobsen was dead and Lucas Holden was guilt free.

The End.

Second Chance

-

Memories of his laughter chimed like bells through my ears, as the tears streamed down my face. My cheeks were pink from laughter, from crying, from just living. But I still managed a smile… a smile that I knew he saw. That he caught with his own crystal blue eyes, and, overwhelmed with a love so strong, with envy so deep, with a hate so true, I realised that it wouldn’t be long before I joined him. Because that’s how it had come to be.

One could not live without the other.

That’s just how it was.

My frail body shuddered under the stress, under the heartache, and I felt myself fall to the ground amid gasps, amid tears. But the smile remained. As memories of our time together washed over me, I realised that together we’d been more than content with our life, with the ups and downs, the good and bad. Together, we’d survived.

I’d never believed it possible, all those years ago, when I first caught sight of the lonely boy crying in the hallway. I’d hidden between the lockers, as my heart yearned to comfort this boy, alone against a world of evils, whose fitful tears I wanted to dry with my hands.

As I’d tried to become more comfortable, leaning back into the lockers, my feet made the ground beneath me lurch and groan, and I knew instantly that his eyes had fallen on my hiding space.

“Who’s there?” He asked, his voice full of fear and terror. I breathed in and out slowly before coming out of my hideaway, my face burning red, looking towards the ground.

“Why are you here?” He yelled at me abruptly, his voice angry. My own eyes snapped to his as he glared down at me. “What did you see?” His angered voice cried out.

“No…noth…nothing.” I mumbled, as fear overwhelmed my being. I cowered against a locker, salty tears forming in my eyes, and I wrapped my arms around my body, protecting myself from him.

His eyes flashed momentarily to mine and, sensing my fear, his body relaxed and he walked gently over to me.

“Um… okay… hey?” He asked, his unsure smile hinting at the grin that was hidden between the layers of pain and hurt, of anger and fear. He continued to approach me, apprehensive of my still scared appearance. I tried to relax a little, tried to pretend as if he didn’t shake me to the core.

“Sorry.” He said finally, when he stood about a metre away, his body slumping down against another locker. “I didn’t mean to… I’m not always…” He stuttered through his words, and my eyes locked with his own. His hands twitched with frustration, and his eyes swept around the room as if he were afraid that someone would catch us… as if he were always afraid that someone would catch him.

I looked away from him; afraid of what else I would find if I looked any deeper. I’d never met anyone like him. So unsure, so vulnerable… so alone. No one was supposed to be alone.

“I’m just, sorry, okay?” He roared finally, hitting the locker and storming off down the hallway.

I watched his retreating form, and couldn’t help but feel this sudden sense of loss, of need… of something I’d never felt before.

“Hey!” I yelled after him finally. He stopped, but didn’t turn around. “It’s okay.” I said, smiling a little as he looked over his shoulder and flashed me a small, shy grin.

I’d leant against the cool locker, watching him as he faded away into the distance, wondering if I were ever to see him again. I’d held onto that grin, because I knew hidden beneath it was a smile waiting to come out… waiting to be given a reason… or a person, to be shown to.

It was his smile that had won me in the end. With those pearly whites he’d flashed me that grin, and my heart had leapt to the front of my chest, my knees had buckled, my whole body weakened by his simple presence.

One day I’d pretended to be hurt, just so I could feel his strong arms around me as he scooped me up and carried me to the nurse’s office, where he’d waited patiently for my diagnosis. Sprained ankle - will need to keep off it for some days. He’d helped me home that day. Carried my bag, along with his own, and held his strong arm around my tiny waist as I’d hobbled home, too nervous to say a word.

But he’d been content with silence. He’d simply kept looking up and giving me smile after smile. Had his arm not been supporting me, I felt for sure that I’d have collapsed once more. He made me feel things I never imagined I could feel… hope… love… something I never believed myself capable of feeling. But as we walked on, I felt the pit of my stomach sink deeper and deeper… the feelings refusing to go away.

He’d let me down gently as we reached the back porch, and I’d smiled gratefully up at him, attempting to overcome the sudden bout of shyness that had taken control of my body. As soon as my eyes had locked with his, he’d leant down and gently connected his lips against my own, and I shuddered as the sweetest sensations ran all over my body. His hands had danced along my naked neck, pulling my head gently towards his as he deepened the heavenly kiss.

When he’d pulled away finally, my hands had flown to his neck and stopped him from moving. I stared intently into his eyes and was shocked by what I saw. Hidden behind the lust and ache he felt, there was something more… anger, contempt, and hatred. Hidden deep within his mind were the troubles that a 17-year-old boy should not have known. Stroking his face, I leant forward and kissed him once more, hoping that this small gesture of affection would be enough for the time being to frighten away the horrors of his past.

But they’d come back to haunt us. We were older then, wiser, more mature, and we’d been together for years, through the love and tears, we’d survived.

Because that’s how we were.

But when it all happened, I wasn’t sure if we were going to survive. His hands had reached for me when he’d arrived home from work. His lips feeling out my own as he’d pushed us back onto the couch amid giggles and laughter. This had all been ordinary, but in his eyes a storm was brewing. A storm of something uncontrollable. The monster within was howling for release.

“What’s wrong?” I asked him sternly, pulling away from his grip and sitting backwards. “Nothing…” He’d replied, as if I were joking, and crawled towards me once more.

“Don’t lie.” I pushed against him, standing up from the lounge, moving a little away. “Tell me what’s wrong.”

“Nothings wrong.” He said, his tone telling me otherwise. He pushed his hand through his hair and sighed loudly.

“Tell me, please, what’s wrong?” I’d begged with him, trying to lock my eyes with his. But they’d remained downcast, until I finally gave up and turned away. But his hands were too quick for me, and before I knew it I was pinned down underneath him, his arms gripping my own so tightly I began to feel my skin bruise.

“You want to know what’s wrong?” He snarled at me, his hands holding my arms tighter and tighter as I yelped in pain. “What is f%#$ing right? That’s the question you should be asking. Want to know what’s wrong?” He screamed at me, as I nodded numbly, unable to formulate any kind of response. Pushing himself off me, he ripped open his shirt to reveal two burn holes on his side. I’d seem them before, but when I’d asked about them he’d brushed it off, and told me some story about accidentally burning himself when he was a child.

“Do you know what its like to be held down by your own father as he does this to you? Do you know what it’s like to be told that you’re the mistake of the family, the black sheep, the child that can never do anything right? Do you know what its like to scream out in pain as the searing continues, but to know deep down that they’ll never come? Do you know what its like to hate your own flesh and blood?” He screamed at me before storming out, leaving me there, scared, alone, crying in a flood of tears.

He’d come to me later that night, and crawled into bed next to me as a child would, after angering their parents. He pressed gentle kisses into my back as he woke me from my fitful slumber, and wrapped his strong arms around my form, pulling me to him as he’d done so many times before.

He whispered to me that night. The tales and horrors of his childhood, with his angry father and terrified mother. He told me stories of how he would pretend to be somewhere else while the pain kept him awake at night. He told me of his dreams of leaving one day, leaving that life and finding someone to begin a new life with. And then he kissed my hair gently, and whispered that I was that someone that he’d dreamed of. I was the person he was starting afresh with.

I’d cried for him that night, for the lost years of youth that could never be replaced, and I’d promised him that I would never let him be afraid again. I’d promised him that together we would walk the road on the journey we were meant to take. Together we would make it. And that night, I bestowed upon him the same hope he had once given me, on a bright sunny day all those years ago, when I had been but a school girl with a crush.

We’d become so much more.

And so we built our own life, free from horrors, from night terrors, from scars and from pain. We’d raised a family, we’d found joy and happiness watching our tiny children grow, watching them learn from their mistakes. Helping them become strong in their own right. Helping them in ways we had never been helped.

Then, one rainy November night, our fairy tale was shattered to pieces. Our life broken.

He had died.

They stood fussing around me. My friends, my family, but all I really wanted was him. All I really wanted was the man I had grown to love, grown to hate, grown to need more than anything else in the world. All I wanted was our memories, and our dreams. And if I could keep them, I could be strong. Standing up, pushing them away from me, I walked to the front of the church, my eyes still blurry from the tears I had shed.

“We lived our lives together. We lived through the good and the bad, and we made each day work, because that was how we were. Some never believed it possible, for you to marry a high school sweet heart… but I did. And every second of every day there isn’t a time when I won’t think back on my years with you and love you even more. You always said I was the calm to your storm, from that very first moment we met, alone in a deserted hallway. You said that with one glance, one look in my eyes you knew that you’d never be the same again. What I never told you…” I said gently, “was that you were the storm to my calm.” I added, the tears running down my gaunt face.

“I was still Martha Mackenzie when I met Kane Phillips…” I cried as the audience hushed, and the sweet sounds of In The Arms Of An Angel filled the church. “And it only took was one day for him to sweep me off my feet. On one warm sunny day at the beginning of spring, when he dared to smile at me…”

-

"You're in the arms of the angel

May you find some comfort here"

Stepping Backwards

An unmistakable silence filled the room, the house even, with a comforting secluded, private feeling. Through the window, in a darkening sky the stars were watching, each as silent as the room, and lonely as the night.

The door of the living room twisted on its hinges, revealing the room in its darkness. Slowly she tiptoed across the wooden floor boards, the moonlight projecting a gentle beam across her feet, almost as if she wasn’t supposed to be up, doing this. There was no one in the house and yet the silence induced a feeling of secrecy. She was alone; just how it should be. Just how he probably would have wanted it. Because this was her moment.

Her and her dad’s.

With careful precision she slipped the tape into the machine, her hand shaking slightly, anticipation flowing through her body at the same time as the nervousness grasped her. As it clicked into place, she backed away bit by bit, her legs hitting the sofa forcing her to fall through the air and hit the cushions with a gentle thud. A soft whirring noise ensued, almost giving her warning that it was about the start.

A flickering light burst into sudden life and cast shadows against the quiet walls.

Here she was, sitting in her living room, preparing to meet him for the first time. Finally, she was going to meet the person who was her real dad. Not the replacement that had filled her life, but her real father. The one she’d seen only in photos. The well known member of the community. The much loved friend and husband. The respected doctor. Flynn.

But her hand reached for the remote. The pause button was pressed hurriedly. She could feel her heart pounding inside her chest quicker than it had ever done before. She breathed with shuddering breaths, along with the slow rhythm of the night, the moonlight creeping inside. Was she really ready for this? She had known about the tape for what must have been months, and she hadn’t touched it. And then suddenly, that night, she had been unable to get to sleep. She had felt unfulfilled, restless, and it had occurred to her that maybe she knew how to fill that gap, that void. Had she been wrong? She really wasn’t sure if she was ready, but then again, would she ever be?

Her hand hovered above the remote, almost reluctantly. Giving in she picked it up. Looking apprehensively at the electronic gadget poised gently in her fingers, she lightly placed her thumb on the surface of the Play button. One button, one push; that was all it would take. Part of her had an urge to press it, part of her hung back. This one video: it could change everything. Her life was good; she was happy. But she needed to know her dad. She had been talked through the picture albums, she’d visited the place where her mum had scattered his ashes, and she had seen where he had worked. Her mum, her brother, her sister; they had all made the utmost effort to keep his memory alive. But she needed to hear his voice; to see him move; to fit in the last piece of the puzzle. The hardest piece.

She needed to know too what was in his heart; to share in his hopes and his dreams.

The button was pressed partly with curiosity; partly with a need that was overwhelming her senses. The picture appeared and there he was. Her dad. The one who had been taken away from her.

The warmth of his voice filled the room, bringing tingles to her spine and tears to the back of her eyes. She didn't dare move, she stared transfixed at the screen, afraid of breaking this precious moment.

“My beautiful baby girl. I’m sure you are not such a baby anymore, but that is how I will always remember you. If you are watching this, then of course I am not with you anymore, but this tape, it is just one thing, solely from me to you. This is our video, our meeting.”

The connection, the love was immediate. As if seeing him moving, speaking, watching the camera, had somehow connected her to his soul. Already her eyes were staring solidly at the screen, refusing to move from their position, refusing to break the contact. Her surroundings disappeared, faded into the background, and only his image remained: bright and clear. Her eyes swept over the screen, taking in everything about him; observing his features: his eyes, his smile; and noting the sea in the background. That was where she went to think, the sea was a part of her, and it had obviously been a part of her dad. It still was; she realised, watching as the sea breezes gently ruffled his hair.

Subconsciously, she slipped off the sofa, moved closer to the screen, moved closer to Flynn. She desperately wanted to absorb everything about him in that brief, intense moment. Tears pricked her eyes, threatening to spill, and she fought hard not to cry.

“When you came into our lives, you were such a blessing. You were the most beautiful thing I had ever set my eyes on. You still are. You were an angel sent from heaven to us; the best thing me and your mum ever could have hoped for. And I just want to let you know that I had never felt so proud. I know I wasn’t with you long, but I loved every minute. Every second was precious and filled with joy, just for you being there.”

Pippa felt her whole body heave with emotion.

The feelings were indescribable.

She wanted to scream. Scream with sadness; scream with pain. Scream with anger and frustration. Why did he leave her? Why her? What had she ever done? At that moment in time, as her face was stained with fresh tears, she threw the remote at the screen and let out an anguished sob. No one deserved this pain.

“I’m sure you’ve grown up now, and I regret never having got to see that, but I know that I can be sure that you have grown into a woman just as beautiful as your mother. I hope you are all happy: your mum, Ric, Cassie… You are my family, my precious daughter, and never forget that I will always be with you, now and forever; wherever you go I’ll follow. Just remember; I love you from the very deepest part of my heart and that love; it will last for an eternity. It will never be broken”

As Flynn finished talking, he smiled before the screen gradually faded to black. All evidence of his existent wiped away in a second, in one moment. She gazed at the screen, feeling lost, empty. She wanted the video to keep playing forever, and yet she yearned for something more. She could see and hear him, but that wasn’t enough. The image on the screen was but a faint replication of her dad. She wanted to touch him, feel his presence, but she couldn’t.

Nothing was left but moonlight and her solitary shadow cast on the quiet wall.

Her body shook as she cried. It was like she was finally grieving for the first time, because when he had died, she had been small, young; and as she had grown up she had not known that loss. She hadn’t fully realised that something was missing. However, now, everything was raw. Like she was reopening wounds that she hadn’t even known existed. She placed the sleeve of her dressing gown to her eyes to absorb her tears, but still they kept flowing.

“Come back.” She uttered quietly. “Come back…”

• 1 month later...

FANFICTION CHALLENGE #1

The reviews are here. Feel free to add your reviews for any or all of the stories. I'm sure they'll still be appreciated.

For general information the winner of this challenge was Summer Secret by Nicole.

FANFICTION CHALLENGE #3

Reviews for these stories can be found here. Please continue to add your comments. I'm sure they'll still be appreciated.

For general information the poll decided the winner of this challenge, Missing Milko.

FANFICTION CHALLENGE #4

Reviews for all entries can be found here. If you haven't already reviewd please feel free to do so.

For general information the winner of this challenge was A Tale of Two Sinners by Sevenpuddings.

Ok so here it is...

Fan Fiction Challenge No5

Right before we get to the entries there are a few things I need to outline...

Firstly, the winner will be announced on the 15th December, giving you all about 9 days to get your votes and reviews in.

Secondly, I want to bring attention the fact that this thread is only to read the entries. Please post your reviews here.

Right I think that's all... on with the stories! I've received 7 entries, so enjoy reading them!

Entry No1: Return/No return

It’s funny how different everything looks at night. The darkness and the wind, it all makes everything look so much wilder, more dangerous than it really is.

But the shed was still the same. Behind the rusty old shovels and battered rakes, it was there. Just where she left it a year ago.

The kitchen was the opposite of the cold, dark and unwelcoming backyard. The whole room was bright, warm and cozy, and definetely a place you would like to be, even in the middle of the night.

Heavy rain was crashing down outside now, and she took off her coat, glad to be inside. A quick look at the clock over the fridge told her it was twenty minutes past midnight.

Kit Hunter sighed and sat down with a one year old bottle of wine in front of her.

”Kit, I need to talk to you about something,” Beth said, even though it was just a phone call Kit knew this was serious.

”What is it?” Kit asked, and it was silent for a moment before her mother replied.

”Are you sitting down?” she finally said. Kit closed her eyes. Definately not good news.

She stared at the bottle in front of her. Inside was heaven and hell.

Open that bottle and all her pain would be gone for a few hours. And yet she knew; she knew that drinking that wine would make it worse afterwards. More pain to handle, more suffering.

All that for a few hours without the intense feeling of darkness and emptyness in her heart, was it worth it?

Kit sat down, ”What is it, mom?” she asked, ”Are you okay?”

Again there was silence before Beth replied.

”Do you remember I told you about Sarah Lewis?” she said after five long seconds.

”The crazy woman who came after Dani when Felix Walters was killed?” Kit said, her heart was beating faster and faster, ”Is Dani okay?”

Silence.

”Oh my God, it’s Scott isn’t it?” she said, trying not to panic.

Beth didn’t say anything this time either, Kit could almost hear her looking for the right way to tell her without shattering her heart completely.

Kit hung up. She couldn’t stand the silence.

It was so evil to wish she had been right about Scott. So evil to wish it was her own brother Sarah had shot instead of him.

She was so evil!

…And so selfish to make this about her, because it wasn’t. It was about him.

The phone rang again. Kit regretted ever hanging up. Avoiding a conversation wasn’t going to make it all go away.

”It isn’t Scott,” Beth said, as soon as Kit picked up.

”I know mom…” her daughter replied. Somehow she knew who this was about, from the quiet, sad way her mother was talking about it.

”Scott and Dani are okay. It’s Noah…”

It had been a month since the phone call, and a month since Noah had died.

Somehow Kit felt like he had never existed. All the people in Summer Bay went on with their lives, and it seemed like there wasn’t even an empty hole in their lives where Noah had been.

She knew that she was wrong, that everyone still did think about him, but it still seemed like she was the only one to really care. In some weird way it felt like there were two empty holes in Kit’s heart.

One for Noah and one for Sarah.

She felt guilty about that too. Feeling sorry for Sarah, the woman who caused everyone in the Bay so much suffer and pain.

But didn’t she deserve a little love after all? She had lost the one person that had actually meant something for her, and now she wasn’t even missed when she was gone.

Kit knew Hayley and the others in the Bay wouldn’t believe her if she said she felt sorry for Sarah. They still told themselves she was evil.

But Kit didn’t think Sarah was evil, she was just crazy, out of her mind.

No one in the Bay would ever be able to forgive Sarah for what she had done.

”But I do,” Kit said to herself, ”I forgive you, Sarah.”

It had been more than an hour.

Still staring at the bottle, Kit was sitting there alone in the kitchen.

Forgiving Sarah didn’t change anything, she still missed Noah. Nothing could ever change that.

Just one drink, and the pain, and the sorrow; it would all go away…

Was it worth it?

”It’s not.” Noah simply said.

Kit froze.

This could not be happening. Noah was gone, dead, not there!

She blinked, but he was still there, looking right at her.

”The drink is not worth it,” he said again.

”Wha-what?” Kit said.

”Do you really wanna do it just because it’ll give you a few good hours, when you know it will give you so much hard stuff to deal with afterwards?”

”I could use a break…” she muttered.

”There are other ways to get over this.” he replied.

”No there’s not!” she said, all of a sudden angry, ”I will never get over this! It’s been a month, and even Hayley is smiling again. And Hayley was married to you! I was just a friend, and I’m in more pain than she is!”

”Are you sure that’s not because she spent more time accpeting I was gone?” Noah said, not taking his eyes off her.

”Hayley didn’t accept it, or even realise it until less than two weeks ago…” she said, suddenly not able to look at him. She felt tears in her eyes, and she really didn’t want him to see her cry… Didn't want him to see how weak she was…

”And in two weeks you’ll be smiling again too,” Noah replied.

”Are you saying that I didn’t accept this until now?” she said.

”Well…” he hesitated, ”You didn’t forgive Sarah until now, and I think that’s what you needed to do to accept it.”

Kit didn’t answer. She hated the way he could see right through her like that.

”I bet you would have done it before if it wasn’t for the fact that you blamed yourself for everything,” he continued, ”but forgiving Sarah means you finally realised this was her fault, not yours.”

”You don’t think I should have forgiven her?” Kit said, giving up hiding the tears.

”We both know she wasn’t sane,” Noah said, ”you did the right thing, forgiving her.”

All of a sudden it was like a river of tears was released inside Kit. Suddenly she found herself crying in Noah’s arms.

”What am I gonna do, Noah?” she cried, ”I’m so desperate to drink that wine, even though I know it’s going to make everything worse!”

Noah didn’t say anything, he just held her.

”Tell me not to drink it!” she said, ”Tell me not to do it!”

”You know I can’t do that,” Noah said softly, ”You have to make the decision yourself. But if you’re going to drink, I want you to be really sure about it.”

”How can I be sure?” Kit asked.

”Just ask yourself if it’s worth it.” he simply said.

Lying there in his arms suddenly made Kit feel stupid.

She was just dreaming, Noah was dead, he couldn’t be there in her kitchen!

But then a vague memory from right after her dad died came back.

Beth and all the Hunter kids were standing in front of the memorial spot in the middle of the field.

Everyone was crying, even Scott. Everyone except Kit.

Mattie cried, and said she missed her father, Kit couldn’t stand hearing it.

”He can’t hear you, Mattie, he’s dead!” she had yelled. She just wanted them all to shut up!

”I can still talk to him!” Mattie had protested.

”No, you can’t!” she had snapped back, ”He’s… He’s gone!”

Then Beth had put her arms around her.

”Maybe he isn’t gone,” she said, ”Maybe he just moved to our hearts?”

Looking back Kit remembered escaping her mother’s arms and sending her a nasty look. She pretended the thought of it was rubbish, and maybe she actually did think that. At least a little…

But now?

Noah could’t be here, could he?

”Maybe not physically…” he said, and Kit looked at him. How could he read her like that?

”Can I ask you a question?” she said.

”Always,” Noah replied, but now he was looking at the rain outside.

”Where are you now… I mean…”

”I know what you mean,” he said, sounding distant, ”but you wouldn’t understand.”

All of a sudden he felt close again.

”Try me!” Kit said.

Noah smiled, ”I’m just messing with you,” he said, ”I’ll tell you.”

Then he lowered his head, and whispered into her ear.

Kit smiled as she listened.

This was their secret.

Kit woke up, not knowing if she had really been asleep or not. Noah wasn’t there anymore, but the bottle on the table was.

She couldn’t help but smile when she heard Noah’s voice in her head, saying it wasn’t worth it.

If she returned to her old life there would be no coming back. No return.

Still with a smile she stood up, put on her coat and grabbed the bottle.

”You’re right, Noah,” she said as she walked towards the front door.

”It’s not worth it.”

Entry No2: One Kiss, Goodbye

“Cassie!”

His piercing screams filled my ears, as my whole world turned that haze of grey that filled dreams, with images floating within.

Only now, there were no images floating, now there was me. And a voice calling my name in the distances. A voice I could not recall having ever heard before. But he was whispering to me. Of my life, my secrets, my love. And then, shock.

-

I sat up, chocking, my breathing strained and erratic, and my chest heaved with tension. An arm came to comfort me, rubbing gentle circles on my back.

I shivered a little, as the chill of the cold morning air began to envelope my naked skin, and in feeling this, his arms wrapped around me, pulling me against his naked torso, and heaving the fur blankets up over our bodies.

Slowly, my breathing calmed, as was his effect on me, and eventually, I found myself able to breathe in and out at a normal pace. It was then he chose to ask me, his voice lined with fear.

“This time?”

“Us. Again.” I replied sadly.

“Again?” He sounded shocked.

“Again.” I confirmed, the silent tears spilling from my eyes.

“And you?” His voice was tight, confused… scared.

I shook my head, unable to answer his question, and his grip on me tightened.

My head swirled with thoughts of them, my body ached, as he had done, as he’d watched her fade away in his arms, the rain pelting down against their bodies. It was always the way, I thought, shutting my eyes, willing the thoughts to disappear. I felt his palm ease its way gently onto my forehead, and knew that these memories too would be extract from my mind, and placed where they would harm me no more.

It was his way of protecting me. But I couldn’t, not any more.

“Stop.” I cried, pulling myself away from his hand and falling out of the bed.

“It’s what’s best. You have to understand.” He cried, as I backed away from him.

“How can you say that?” I screamed back at him, as I stood up, facing away from him. “They are us. They are always us.” I said, breaking down, my body crumbling, from exhaustion, from pain, from suffering. Their suffering.

“It’s always the same.” I cried gently. “Always. She dies, and he’s alone. Can’t you see. It’s fated.” I said, looking up at him, my tear streaked face full of fear. “Can’t you see, it will happen. We’ll always have to say goodbye.”

-

“Stop it.” I said, giggling, as his lips attacked my neck lightly.

“Funny,” He replied, “You’re mouth says ‘Stop it…’” He mimicked, “But you’re body says ‘Take me, take me now.’ And really, who am I to listen to what you actually say.”

I turned to look at him in mock anger, but he was wearing that grin. The grin that I’d first fallen for, and I just couldn’t reprimand him.

“We’re supposed to be doing this together, especially if you want to actually finish high school.” I said finally, knowing that a little hint about the importance of the assignment may be able to influence him.

“But we’ve still got three whole weeks to do this damned thing, and we’ve almost finished.” He whined, pouting a little as my features became serious.

“Rocco…” I began, but was cut off with his lips pressing against my own.

“Cassie…” He murmured, smiling against my lips, knowing that any stance I had on schoolwork before kissing would be thrown out the window as soon as his lips were against my own.

And for a moment I became lost in a world that had engulfed me from the beginning.

Something that felt like falling in love each and every day.

But a sudden crack of thunder rang though my ears, and my body recoiled from him touch, fleeting memories of a past long gone resurfacing, suffocating me silently.

“Cass.” Rocco murmured. His hand reached out for my face, but I shied away from him, the memories still too close to the surface.

“It all happened so long ago.” He sighed, pulling away and standing up to face the window.

I didn’t reply, only wiped away the tear that slid gently down my cheek.

“I thought…” He began, turning to kneel down in font of me. “I thought we’d gone past this. I thought you’d gotten over it.”

“I have.” I managed to whisper, but he shook his head.

“Apparently not.” He said, a twinge of bitterness in his tone.

“Did Johnny shoot your boyfriend?” I snapped at him, before I could stop myself.

“No.” Turning to glare at me, his eyes darkened, my body shrinking under his intense gaze. “My brother shot himself.”

His guilt, my accusations, our love. It all came crashing down around me. And I knew that if I stayed there a moment longer, our love wouldn’t survive. So I ran. I ran from the safety the house provided, into the wind and the rain. Into the eye of the storm. And I knew he was following me, I could hear my name being called in the distance, along the wind. But I didn’t stop. I couldn’t stop. I couldn’t face him yet. I couldn’t say the words that he needed to hear.

Just as I reached the driveway, another crack of thunder rang deep in my ears, followed by a flash of lightning that blinded me temporarily; I stumbled a little before finding my balance. Instantly, my mind went to him and as I turned to check if he was okay, I could only heard his piercing screams calling out my name, as the world went black.

Cassie.

-

“Cassandra.” He said, his tone full of mocking.

“Richard,” I replied, a little quieter than he, for fear of being caught out.

He down at me, his grin melting my heart, but I tired to be strong.

“You know what shall happen if we were to be caught.” I said sternly, forcing his strong body away from my tanned, lean one.

“You shall be banished, and we shall never see one another again.” He replied, his tone now bored. “This I know, but you must realise, you’re intoxicating Cassandra, I cannot have enough of you.”

“One day, we shall have to say goodbye,” I replied sadly, “What of us then?”

“Must you always bring up this?” He snapped back at me, as he began to pace around my room.

“We’re only in England for a short time, for my father must complete his diplomatic mission. Then we are to return to Africa. You know of this. You’ve always known.” I pleaded with him, but he pushed me away.

“And yet you take extraordinary pleasure in continuing to remind me.”

I opened my mouth to retort, but a noise in the hallway stopped me. Mouthing ‘hide’ to him, I settled myself against the windowsill, just as my father pushed open the door loudly.

“I’ve completed all necessary talks with the Governor and Queen Victoria.” He said shortly to me, mostly out of necessity rather than actual will. “The ship home sails tomorrow at sunset.” He finished abruptly, turning on his heels and walking out, shutting the door behind him.

I did not even bother to hide the crestfallen tears that fell plentifully from my cheeks, and knew that he would be instantly by my side.

“You mustn’t go.” He said pleadingly, but I shook my head.

“What else is there for it?” I sniffed.

“Marry me.” He said quickly, and I looked up at him, through my tears and knew it could never be.

“Marry you Richard?” I asked, “What of my father? He would hardly allow it. Who shall we turn to? Your brother, Jonathan? Shall he give us a place to hide?”

“My brother is of no concern to you. He is a gentleman…”

“He is a criminal.” I spat back at him, lashing out with the only thing that could possibly drive him from my life.

“I won’t let you go.” He said, all too proudly, pulling me to him, his lips landing forcefully on mine. I gave into the kiss, as my salted tears mixed with his own, but finally, I pushed him away.

“There is no other way.” I cried, as I pushed him off me and ran to the door, knowing I could not face him a moment longer.

“Cassandra.” He called after me, as I pushed past the guards and ran outside into the pouring rain.

Soaked through instantly, I could only imagine being lost out here would somehow mask the pain I was feeling. If I had known what a broken heart had felt like, surely I would never fallen into the trap of love.

“Cassandra.” Richard’s strained voice called, and I halted, having lost all my strength, because truly, it came from he.

Turning, I looked up from under the shelter of the giant willow, to see him running towards me. I smiled through my tears, through the rain, knowing that nothing could change out fate.

Just as he reached me, a bolt of lightning lit up the sky, startling me, throwing me backwards. From the ground, I cried for Richard, but I could only hear my name being called by his strained voice. My name was the last thing I heard.

Cassandra.

-

“Caitlin.” He said, pouting, as we hid away in the backseat of his car, the sun setting across the ocean in front of us.

“Ryan.” I replied, leaning towards him and whispering gently in his ear. “I love you.” I said, pulling back, leaning against the car door.

“I love you too.” He said, crawling towards me. “And soon, I’ll be…”

“No.” I said, pouting, crossing my arms over my chest and turning away from him. “I told you, we’re not mentioning that.”

“But Caity.”

“No Ryan. If I don’t think about it, then it’s not going to happen.” I said, trying to remain strong, but my wavering voice showed otherwise.

We sat in awkward silence, as the last rays of sun dropped from out view. I knew the war was coming. We’d stayed out of it for so long, too long, but something needed to be done. Allies needed to be helped.

And he, he was going to help them. He was going to be their hero.

All I really wanted was for him to be my own hero, and stay here, by my side, and protect me from myself.

“Will you wait for me?” He asked suddenly, his voice full of concern, of care, of love.

“Forever.” I whispered, knowing my voice would not work if I tried to speak more.

“I promise, I will always come back to you.” He said, his own voice breaking as he tried to keep his emotions in check.

“James didn’t.” I replied finally, my voice cracking, as he withdrew from me instantly.

“You do not want to go there.” He said, his angelic features clouding over with a hatred so strong, I feared the wrath I may have faced, had he been James.

“He didn’t come back for you…” I said, and as soon as his eyes opened, I knew I should never have brought the tabooed subject up.

“I’m not James.” He began angrily, and I quickly silenced him.

“No.” I said, as I covered his mouth with my hand. “You’re not. But you may still be going to war, where anything can happen.”

“Anything can happen here too.” Ryan replied, always the optimist, as heavy cracks of thunder sounded in the distance. “It can even rain on the most perfect of evenings.”

Grinning at me, he pulled the hood of the car over us and attached it quickly to the bonnet, just as the drops of rain began to pelt against the windscreen.

“This can only get worse.” I sighed, as Ryan turned to grin at me once more.

“You’re always so negative Caitlin.” He said, as the car kicked into motion. “Live a little,” He continued, backing the car up towards the road.

“In the pouring rain?” I replied, laughing.

“Yes. No.” He said, making no sense. “Just, live with me Caity, live tonight with…”

His voice was cut off by screeching tired and worn breaks failing, as the car shifted quickly, turning on its side, the rain soaked road proving too much. And as the world faded into darkness, I heard his voice call my name.

Caitlin.

-

“But why, oh fair maiden?”

“If we were to be caught, thee would be exiled, and I banished.”

“We could leave together, and live our lives out on the fair Isle of Avalon.”

“Your home, not my own. For I would not be welcomed by any who live there.”

“O Calean,” He began, but I hushed him, putting my finger to his lips.

“Let us make the most of the time we have together Ron,” I said, lowering myself towards him body. “Before John returns.”

His features clouded over with the name that had tortured his soul for years now, the name of my own husband, the name of his brother.

“O Ron.” I continued, my hand tracing his delicate face, before trailing down to his naked chest, dancing on his pectorals. “Why must you always…”

“No Calean, why must you always remind me that I cannot have you, nor will I ever fully have thee?”

“But thou does. Right here.” I said, stopping him before he began to fall into the all familiar rant, by taking his hand and placing it on my steadily beating heart. “Thou will always belong here, and none other will ever replace you. Does thou not see, we are destined, and it hath been foretold.”

“But John?” He inquired, for his own sake, he needed to hear the rest of the story he knew so well.

“John will forever be nothing more than a thorn in our side. Worry not, my dearest love, for one day you and I shall be free to love one another as well we please. But we must hide our love till that time doth arrive, dearest, sweetest Ron.” I said, as he succumbed to my hands and they continued to dance across his chest.

“Calean,” He groaned, flipping me onto my back as his lips nipped gently at my neck.

“Now, sweet Sir is not the time for chivalry to take hold.” I said, arching my body up to meet his in the sweetest sin of all.

“What be this?” I heard his voice cry out, as Ron jumped from my body, shocked to see John’s giant shadow standing in the doorway.

“Majesty,” He cried, falling to the floor. “Brother.”

“John.” I whispered, his harsh glare falling on me.

“Whore.” He screamed, pointing at me. “Treacherous whore!”

“Fiend. Possessive, crazy, fiend.” I shot back at him, crawling from the bed, cotton sheet wrapped around my torso. “I shall not live this lie any more.”

“Then thou shall live no life at all.” He cried, storming towards me, but Ron stood in his way.

“Thou shall not touch her.”

“Enough.” I cried, as I ran from the chambers onto the balcony. “Thee are brothers. Does thou not see, I shall not come between thee any more.” I cried, as the rain from storms breaking far at sea poured down, cleansing my soul.

“Calean,” Ron warned, stepping towards me.

“Ron,” I shot back, my eyes red with lust and hatred and fear.

“I love thee,” He pleaded with me, his eyes spilling tears,

“And I you,” I replied.

“Without thee, my life would not go on, I would kill myself a thousand times, just to have one perfect moment with you…” He continued, as he walked closer to me.

My own tears mingled with the perilous downpour, and as I walked towards him, I could only feel my body warming, my heart beating for him.

Then, a blinding flash, and the world faded away, and all I could hear was my name, strained, falling from his perfect lips.

Calean.

-

“Cadence,” He warned, as I continued to giggle.

“Roscoe” I said, pushing his body down onto the bed and crawling onto him.

“Cadence,” He repeated, pushing my body off his and moving from the bed to a nearby seat. “You know the rules,” His arm muscles flexed with tension, and, as he leant back, his full torso coming into view, I licked my lips, vowing to never let another girl or woman see that body. Vowing that he was all mine.

And always would be.

“Jaquar set those rules in place for a reason.” He continued, obviously having caught my wondering eye. “You of all people know how important the ritual pairing is, and we cannot do anything to jeopardise that.”

Rolling my eyes at him, I stood up from the bed and walked seductively towards him, throwing one leg over his body and straddling him.

“But Roscoe, you of all people must know that, well, we’ve been intended since birth… and,” I said, raising an eyebrow at him as my index finger trailed softly down his chest and stomach “Rules are meant to be broken.”

“Cadence.” He sighed once more, but he and I both knew his fate was sealed as I wiggled a little on his lap, causing him to gasp aloud in shock… or pleasure.

Growling in frustration, I giggled, as I caught his lips with my own. He moaned into the kiss, and I smiled, moving my arms down his own, and persuading them to wrap around my body… after that, he was on his own, and it gave me great satisfaction knowing that he pulled me towards him, wrapping his arms tightly around my body.

“See,” I said, breaking the kiss and looking down at his eyes. “Kissing is fun.”

“Yeah.” His reply was absentminded, and I knew from his furrowed brow that he had something much more serious on his mind.

“What?” I asked, taking his face in my hands and gently cupping his chin so he looked up towards me. His green eyes sparkled up at me, shining orbs of brilliant light, and I knew instantly that whatever it was, it had played heavy on his mind for some time.

“I love you.” He murmured finally, his eyes snapping back into attention as they looked lovingly up at me.

“Oh.” I replied shortly, stepping off him and wandering towards the door.

“Cadence.” He called after me, instantly jumping up and running to my side, grabbing my arm and turning me to face him.

“This isn’t supposed to be like this…” I muttered, staring away from his deep, piercing eyes. “That’s the one rule we cannot break.”

“But, I’m your intended. You said before…”

“I know what I said.” I snapped. “But that doesn’t give you the right to fall in love with me.” Brushing away a tear, I turned, and quickly ran from his side, ignoring his chase and protests.

“Cadence” He yelled after me, as I pushed the strong steal door open and ran into the rain that had been beating down.

“Roscoe, you weren’t supposed to fall in love with me.” I cried, turning to face him. “You can’t fall in love with me,” I continued screaming, as bright flashes of light struck around me.

“Not when I always die.” I whispered, as one final flash blinded me.

And in my ears, his voice was left ringing, calling my name.

Cadence.

-

And in the darkness, her eyes wide with horror, as she saw their demise over and over, her body shuddered against his harshly, before crumbling, and she fell, sobbing, into his arms.

“It’s always so dark Raj.” Calixte whispered through her tears, “So dark…” She repeated, before her body caved under the pressure, and gave up the fight.

I couldn’t help the tears from falling. I could never see the darkness she was subjected to, time and time again, always being left out of that world. Once more, I pulled her to me, and standing up, carried her towards the bed, where she would rest, and regain her strength, to see through another day.

My body wavered as thoughts of their deaths consumed me. Calixte was so determined that this was fate. That her death was fated. How many more days would we see out like this, until the storm on the horizon brewed, until our time came?

I lay her down gently, and followed suit, wanting to be with her, be next to her, be part of her. Her body was so precious, next to my own, and I wondered, if they had thought that too. Rocco, Richard, Ryan, Ron and Roscoe. The men that had come after me, yet fallen before me. I wondered if they’d lie next to her, and dream of a future they would share. If they’d held her in their arms… cried their tears, as she’d taken her final breaths. If they’d died alone, because they couldn’t face the world without her.

Just as I knew I would. Her death, she’d told him, over and over, was fated, written in the stars. His death, he knew, would come swiftly, painlessly, as he watched over her tomb, waiting to join her, wherever she was.

-

You're so cold

Keep your hand in mine

Wise men wonder while

Strong men die

Entry No3: Unfinished Business

She watched the final people walk slowly out of the church, after the long sad funeral they had attended. It had been packed, he was a loved, well-know resident, and they were all truly were going to miss him. She went over quietly to his grave, when all the people had disappeared, so she could have time alone with him. She knelt down before it, placing down fresh, picked flowers, his favourite kind. A tear slipped down her cheek, falling to the ground, the soil taking it down through the ground, to where he had been buried and now rested in peace.

“I never got to tell him-” she whispered. As the number of tears increased before she was sobbing on the ground, knelt down, bent over his grave, wishing and praying he’d come back to her, and things could be easier.

It was a feeling she’d never felt before, a feeling she would never feel again.

He was gone., forever. She would never see him again. It was over.

She wasn’t capable of feeling anything at that moment. She didn’t eat. She lay, she sat, and she slumped around in silence. She felt an emptiness she had never felt before, and no one thought she was capable of feeling. No one thought she would miss him, she was supposed to be a cruel woman, and he was an excellent, intelligent, caring man, and compared to her was a heavenly saint,- who despised her. He had a reason to, too. She had hurt him and his family too many times to count, yet she still wanted forgiveness, and still cared, though they had no idea.

It was at the wedding, the gorgeous ceremony of Jack and Martha’s beautiful uniting, that she first felt the strange attraction. He now seemed different in her eyes, more than just someone she had had an old spark with…not old anymore though, it was present, with her that day. Current.

The ceremony was beautiful, yet she only was watching the wedding out of the corner of her eye, because instead she couldn’t take her eyes off him. her eyes were fixed on his handsome face, yet he didn’t once turn to look at her, although she wished she would catch her eye. She didn’t care about him not feeling an attraction to her, because her feelings were too strong to even bother to stop and think about how HE felt, she loved him already.

But then the diaster, the horrible unthinkable happened. The evil stalkers of the town came in, they were worse, more powerful than her, and in comparison, she was a saint. Eve and Tracey burst through the doors, and ruined it all. It was a perfect evening, before they walked through those doors, letting the gas leak in, and the cake and sparklers come out for the ‘celebration’. And the whole barn exploded, putting everyone’s lives in danger. A perfect night ruined, a perfect future, a perfect chance- ruined. She got out fine…it should’ve been her. But when she heard the news, he had died; they all looked at her facial expression in awe. She cared? Why should she? She was a user, the town vixen. But she was human, and she did have feelings. They had no idea, but it was true. She did.

They didn’t understand. She wasn’t loved. She wasn’t cared for. They were, but she wasn’t, and they didn’t understand what that felt like. For once, she wanted to be cared for, and loved for once, and that was something she thought men could give to her…and when she had too many, it didn’t matter, for she was loved. It didn’t matter who, or under what circumstances…she would be loved.

But the news came around to her, and she gasped in horror. She was planning to act on it, planning to talk to him, explain to him everything. But it was too late. The one person that could make her happy was the one person she couldn’t have.

And once again she was unhappy, and tried whatever she could to ease the pain. Because it was as hard as facing he was gone, that she had a feeling of emptiness, and the fact that nothing ever happened, she never got to once again touch him, or kiss him. He was simply gone forever.

But he had a son. A rebel that was daring and attractive, that she couldn’t stay away from, that she couldn’t say no to. He tried and tried, and went after her day after day, and that was a whole new feeling for her. She didn’t have to go after them-they went after her.

He made her feel loved, protected and wanted for once in her life. Guys only either wanted her for the sex, because she was easy, or were convinced by her-just.

But one day, she couldn’t refuse any more…she gave in, and they shared a passionate, long kiss. They had to sneak around, and they ere pushing the limit to everything-breaking the rules. But because they thought they were in love, it didn’t matter. They were told off by everyone that knew, everyone around them, but they ignored the comments, the sneers, the insults, and waved them off. They had each other.

For now. But people went after him. Things got hard, things got complicated, and their relationship couldn’t survive. She was thirteen years older, and they were hearing about the facts of it from everyone around them. Realising there was no way to continue it, she cut it off.

But it had been too much for the young man. He had thought they would be together forever, and things got even worse. She was becoming even worse for the things she had done in the Bay, and she was no friend of theirs. He followed her, begging her to take him back…and when she said no, he rebelled…against her.

Until he disappeared. He couldn’t be found, he wasn’t seen. She felt awful, what if he had done something to himself? Something stupid, gone and got himself killed, hurt himself? It was just like him to do that. They sent out the police out on a search, but she wouldn’t settle for that.

He wanted to be the one to find him, whether he accepted that or not. She needed to make things right, or NO one would EVER accept her…EVER. A tiny little thing would get her on the road, until she could finally fit in, be loved, like she’d always wanted.

She ran on the dirt road, trying her Hardest to run in her $1000 high heels, but kicked them off, not bothering to pick them up, it would waste her time. She kept running, bare foot, the occasional piece of rock or glass jabbing her foot, but wincing in pain, she kept on going.

The wind blew back in her face, her hair twisting together in knots, blowing back. All her expensive hair work was being ruined, her pricey clothes getting blown back dirt covering them, and she had abandoned her fancy shoes, but none of that mattered to her anymore- because money can’t buy you love.

She kept on running, until she reached a shed. A beaten up, rusty old farm shed, that was in the middle of nowhere…perfect for holding someone hostage, or throwing them in after kidnapping them.

Outside the lonely shed, it wasn’t so lonely. A gang of men in black with guns surrounded one sandy haired, 180 cm tall, 32 year old man…the same man she had first been attracted to. The very man that she had thought was dead.

She slowly moved closer, hiding behind a near tree. She stayed out of sight, as they threatened him angrily, nastily. He put his hands up, saying it was his son that mattered, not him, so they could shoot him if they wanted to.

She moved to an even closer tree, and saw him sneakily hold his own gun, which he pulled out suddenly, threatening the leader of the gang standing in front of him. They both took steps back, until the leader had walked up to the same row she and her tree were in. He suddenly whirled around to see a young, blonde woman hide behind a tree, and he could see her too.

The leader held his hand up to Peter, so he wouldn’t speak.

“What are you doing here!?” he barked at her. “He sent you, didn’t he!?” he demanded of her. She didn’t say a word, not wanting to put herself or him in any more danger.

“TALK!” He yelled. “Or I’ll shoot! I will!” He warned her, taking more steps forward.

“Don’t, Gillian, it’s ME you want, remember!?” e shouted at him, he didn’t want HER to pay for HIS mistakes, no matter WHO she was.

“Any last words?” he asked her.

She knew there was no way out of it now…it was over.

“Yes…Peter…I…Love…”

BANG

Entry No4: 10 Days

In ten days, all 10 pints of sally’s blood will be gone. She will be no more. Will anyone come to her rescue? That remains to be seen as she lay there on the ground she has flashbacks, and her whole life passes her by. Is this really what she had deserved after helping so many people, so many children being kind to them when the kindness was a choice she could of chose to not do the things she did, say the things she said but she would never not be kind as that is what sally is about.

Always putting others before herself, never judging people if they say they aren’t doing what she thinks they are doing she will believe them, is this trusting behaviour or is this naivety?

“If only I didn’t go snooping, If only I didn’t open that locker, if only I just let them take our money and leave town, if I only I didn’t let Rocco stay with us.” Sally thinks.

Has Sally learned a lesson? Never to be too kind, it doesn’t get you anywhere and look where it has got Sally. She has lost 3 pints already, and yet no one has come. No one has even given it a thought that Sally may actually be in pain, she may actually need medical attention saying that why would they? They have no idea what state she is in.

“Flynn had such a good send off, me in his arms he was prepared to go he knew he only had a limited amount of time and everyone was giving us there farewell wishes and saying how sorry they were to hear he had cancer, yet I’m not prepared to go, not yet I finally find happiness in Brad only for the carpet to be pulled away right under my feet so now I don’t even have that comfort. Brad has probably went home all pleased with himself knowing that he finally got to kiss me and now I may not even see him again.” Sally thinks.

Tragedies like this are really hard to cope with; especially when you yourself didn’t even expect it to happen didn’t expect it to come to this. Sally is still in shock more than anything right now, how Rocco could do that, even considering it was bad but to actually follow through with it he isn’t the person she thought he was. But then who ever is the person people think they are?

Sally has lost over 9 pints now, and she can see a white light she has closed her eyes. All she can see is white, and a figure that looks like a man is coming towards her. Who is this man?

“Flynn” Sally says weakly.

‘Sal, come to me let me show you around.” Flynn responds.

‘I’m not ready to go; I want to experience more of what this life can offer.” Sally says.

Sally is dressed all in white, and is a matter of meters away from her late husband Flynn if she goes to him she will be gone from one life, but will live on in another.

Sally can hear a voice from above.

“Come my child, it is your time you have fulfilled your destiny.”

“Who was that?” Sally asks.

“Sal that was the voice of God.” Flynn responds.

Sally has decided that if she has been told it is her time then it won’t be right for her to go back, as she could change the future of others around her that she cares for and she doesn’t want to risk that.

Sally runs on what feels like a path of clouds towards Flynn’s arms, Flynn and Sally are once again united.

“Oh, it feels so good to be in your arms again.” Sally says.

“Yeah, it’s been so lonely up here I’ve been watching you everyday.” Flynn responds.

“Watching me?” Sally says.

“Yeah, we can see everything from up here I’ve been watching the house, the school hey even you and Brad. It was good he was there, you needed someone that was alive to give you a bit of comfort and now you’re back with me. One of the rules we have to go by up here is we must not intervene because as you know everything happens for a reason and it will disturb everyone’s destiny if we intervene when bad things happen. We have the power to change things, i.e. I could have stopped Rocco from stabbing you but I couldn’t and it was so hard to watch it really was, knowing I had the power but wasn’t allowed to do anything.” Flynn responds.

“Why are we given the power then, if we can’t use it?” Sally asks.

“We’re given it to make us feel powerful and not powerless but really we can’t use it.” Flynn answers.

“I’m so happy, getting to spend forever with you now Flynn. And getting to see Cassie and Ric grow up together.” Sally says.

While Sally and Flynn are now blissfully happy in Heaven, Sally’s body has still been left there.

Brad comes back into school in the morning, and sees Sally there he rushes over.

“Come on Sal, what happened what they do to you?” Brad asks obviously not realising she’s dead.

Then he sees, the knife chucked down on the ground beside her.

“No, Sal, no this JUST CAN’T BE HAPPENNING! NOT NOW! Not when we was just about to start living our lives together with one another.” Brad says.

He checks for a pulse, and he doesn’t find one.

Brad lies down, resting on her body and then breaks down completely when he smells her perfume.

“Oh, poor guy it seems he only wanted to be with you.” Flynn says.

“I know! Poor Brad, I feel so sorry for him. He’s had to go through a lot.” Sally replies.

“I know, I’ve seen remember?” Flynn says.

“Oh yeah, I remember don’t go getting all smart with me Mr.” Sally responds.

“Anyway let’s see what he does? Who does he phone first I wonder?” Flynn says.

Brad takes his mobile phone out of his pocket, and phones his sister Rachel.

Rachel picks up, she had just woken up.

“Brad is that you?” Rachel asks.

Rachel finds it hard to tell who it is through all the crying.

“Sally, s-s-she’s gone.” Brad says.

“What you mean?” Rachel asks not wanting to believe what she thinks is the case.

“She’s passed away rach.” Brad mumbles.

“Oh no, so sorry Brad hold on I’ll be right there.” Rachel responds.

Rachel was still in bed, and lying next to her was Kim she had to wake him up she couldn’t face driving after receiving such bad news. She was now crying heavily too.

“We’ve got to go to the school.” Rachel says.

“What? Why?” Kim asks.

“Sally has been killed, and Brad has found her I said I’d be right there as he needs some support.” Rachel says.

“Oh no, that’s such a shame she’s was the nicest person I know.” Kim responds.

“I know same here.” Rachel says.

Rachel and Kim get ready and Rachel tells Kim she just couldn’t drive so he drives to the school. They both meet with Brad.

“Brad hun, you got to let go.” Rachel says with really red eyes from crying.

“I won’t leave her, I just won’t.” Brad says.

“Okay, we shall take her with us mate and put her in the boot so she can have the funeral she deserves.” Kim says.

Brad and Kim carry sally’s body that feels a lot lighter now into the boot of the car.

Brad, Rachel and Kim drive off. They tell everyone about sally, and as expected everyone is devastated. Everyone pitches in to give Sally the funeral she deserves, and everyone gets ready to go the funeral. Ric and Cassie are going to read out passages that they both wrote describing how they felt.

At the funeral, there is a sculptured white statue of Sally, which everyone donated too.

“Aww, that is just so sweet of everyone to do that.” Sally says as they both watch.

“Today is the day I never thought I would have to face; I always thought Sally would be there for us, always wondered how old she would become. I never wanted to think “what would I do without Sally” but I guess now it has come to that, I know that she will be watching over us and just thinking about that puts a smile on my face.

She has been there for me in the good times and the bad, and I couldn’t have hoped for a better mother figure than the one the only Sally Saunders. She took me in, when no one else wanted anything to do with me and she is part of the reason I am the man I am she has made me feel wanted, safe and most of all loved. Goodbye Sally, I love you.” Ric says struggling to say anymore as he can’t stop the tears from falling down his face.

Everyone claps.

“Sally has been my guiding light through out all of the dark times, and has been the only one who has got me through. She means the world to me, and I just can’t believe I now have to live in this world without her. She has laughed with me through the good times, and the one thing that has always stayed constant was her love.

I couldn’t have asked for a better mother even if I tried, she is funny, bubbly and she has good fashion sense! She will always be the one I look up to in times of doubt, and no one will ever replace her because no one in this whole world is as special as Sally Saunders. She has been the best part of my life so far, and will be remembered with the sweetest memories possible. Goodbye Sally, I love you.” Cassie says breaking down and crying, it just couldn’t be kept inside any longer.

“See what lovely children we have.” Sally says.

“Yeah, they are the best!” Flynn responds.

I know it seems hard,

But with time you will heal,

And you never know how you might feel.

Just remember I love you always.

Sally says as she watches over Alf, Ric Cassie and the rest of the bay.

Entry No5: Breathless

“Hurry up Martha or we’re going to be late for our own anniversary party,” Jack grumbled.

I could tell he was getting bored but I wanted to take my time. Sally and Alf had gone to the trouble of organising a party and I wanted to look my best. I’d spent ages deciding on what to wear and finally settled on a bright flowery summer dress - it definitely suited the weather. I gathered my things together and stood at the door. When he noticed my presence he stood with his mouth open. I smiled glad to be able to still have that effect on him.

“How do I look?” I asked. He eyes travelled up and down and I could feel myself blushing.

“Positively stunning,” He grinned from ear to ear.

“Just what I was aiming for,” I beamed making my way over to him. When I was standing beside him I gently pressed my lips to his. He eagerly responded. And I was actually amazed that after a year of being kissed like that it still left me breathless.

“What was that you were saying about being late?” I giggled in between kisses

“ It doesn’t matter,” He whispered pushing me in the direction of the room.

We were twenty minutes late, but it was worth it. I had a permanent smile on my face for the rest of the day. Although I did feel bad for being late but Sally seemed fine with it.

“I know what its like to be in love Martha.” She said smiling. I could see a sad look in her eyes and guessed she was thinking about Flynn.

“Are you ok? I asked gently

“Yeah I’m fine,” She said quickly “I’ve just got to check on something.”

I felt really sorry for her I can’t imagine how I’d cope if I ever lost Jack. He was my rock and I loved every little thing about him and he felt the same about me. Or least I hoped he did.

“Oh, Martha there you are,” Colleen said walking towards me “have you tasted the cake yet?” I was just about to answer when she interrupted “I spent a good few hours working on it and I even used my secret ingredient. I tell you that Madge Wilkins has been after it for years but I’ve been guarding it with my life!” She rambled “That’s going with me to my grave.”

“Not yet Colleen but I’m sure its great,” I said smiling hoping that I could figure out how to quietly slip over to Tash and Robbie, but no such luck

“Great?” She said demanded “Its more than great its marvellous I tell you.”

“Will you give the girl a flammin’ break woman?!” Granddad said from behind me. I breathed a sigh of relief as Colleen went scowling into the kitchen.

“Are you enjoying yourself love?” He asked.

“Definitely.” I said smiling for the millionth time today.

“Good, I’m so proud of you love,” He said quickly scratching his eye with the back of his hand.

“Thanks Granddad ,”I said tearing up “it means a lot.”

The party seemed to last an eternity and when we finally left it was pitch black outside. I could barely see my own hand in front of my face.

“You look cold,” Jack said taking his coat off and putting it on me “here wear this,” He put his arms around me and it made me feel even safer. “this is for you” he whispered shyly handing me a bright glowing red rose”. I took the rose and gently held it in my hand.

“This is exactly where we went after our first date,” I said happily “remember?”

“Yeah and I remember what happened afterwards too” He grinned cheekily

I laughed and turned to face him. “Me too, it went something like this” I said leaning in and sighing as our lips touched. I ran my fingers throughout his hair and eventually settled on wrapping them around the nape of his neck. His were around my waist. Once again I was left breathless.

Suddenly he stopped. “Did you hear that” He panted.

“Hear what?” I asked confused and wanting to go right back to what we were doing.

He looked around and for a minute he was really starting to freak me out.

“Jack, what is it?” I asked scared.

“I thought I heard someone shouting,” He said shaking his head “I must be losing my mind”

But then I heard someone scream in the distance.

“Tell me you heard that, and that I’m not going crazy,” He whispered

“I heard it,” I looked around but couldn’t see anything. The leaves from the trees were being blown about in all directions and the lights from the various houses ahead of us were the only light we had.

“Someone’s out in the water” He whispered.

“What?” I asked “But they won’t be able to see anything”

“Exactly” He said simply.

We our way down to the beach and I could barely make out a figure in the distance throwing their arms about. “Oh my God, they’re in trouble”

“I’ll be right back, call for help,” I heard him say urgently

“What? Jack you can’t seriously be thinking of going in there. You won’t be able to see a thing,” I said scared.

“Look I’ll be right back I promise”

“Jack, I’m serious lets just call for help”

But it was too late he was already removing his shirt and getting ready to go in.

“Jack” I pleaded with him

“I’ll be right back, I promise.”

But he broke that promise.

Ok, so this thread is for all the reviews and the voting. As you may notice, the poll has gone because of cheating that occured in the last challenge. So now, to make your vote count you need to state who you want to vote for at the end of your reviews. What I want to make clear is that your vote will not count if you don't also review. So, you can't just post "I vote for story X" because your vote will be ignored. I'm sorry to sound mean, but the main function of this challenge is for writers to challenge themselves, and for them to receive the kind of useful reviews that they wouldn't usually get. I can assure you that the reviews mean so much more than votes to all the authors. I know it seems long to review but the writers really appreciate it and you get to be critical and really think about what made the story work for you. Looking at the stories carefully can even open your eyes to new authors. So please review. And please review properly. It's no good just saying "I liked it" - what we're looking for is longer, more detailed reviews about what you liked and maybe what you also didn't like. Of course praise where praise is due but you can also offer contrustive criticism and advice. Having entered these challenges before I know that getting the advice is as nice as the praise. If you're not quite sure where to start or go with you review then sevenpuddings/skykat created this guide for the last fan fiction challenge. Feel free to use it to structure your reviews if you want though you can also just follow your own thoughts.

Review Guidelines

Please remember that while reviewing, there is more than simply the character/pairing to be taken into consideration. Here are some questions you might consider when reviewing each story.

1. Was the character believable? Were you able to picture it in your mind and hear the character saying things? Do you feel that the author managed to tap into the character to make it their own? Was the interaction between the characters (if applicable to the story) believable?

2. Were there any lines or moments that stood out to you? Why did they stand out?

3. Did the author use descriptive language and/or emotive language to draw you into the story?

4. Overall, was the story appealing to you? Why/Why not?

5. What do you feel could be improved by the author? Do you have any suggestions for them?

6. Did the story follow the prompts/guidelines? For a reminder of these go here.

If you're still not sure what a review should be like then check out previous reviews for the third fanfic challenge here.

And a note for all the authors: when you review make up a fake review for your own story. As Skykat said, see it as a chance to honestly reflect on your work. And please don't just say you hate it because that would give the game away, right? As talented writers you should all be able to come up with a believable review, so that no one can guess which one was yours! :P

So the last thing I have to say is... please review! :D

Archived