Fan Fic Challenge Entries 2006/07

Guest AngelRose

SfanS, you wrote Unfinished Business? Well done, that was an incredibly good story for someone so very young! :)

I agree! I was surprised when I found out what age you were because I thought you'd be older. So now I'm doubly sure that, within time, you're going to become an amzing writer! :)

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awwwww....everyone's so nice!

I can't put it into words...I'm just surprised (PLEASANTLY surprised :P ) trhat you're saying all this...thank-you!

I just have a question: Where did everyone actually get their IDEA for it from?

I mean, I know their were promts, but everyones was different.

Ok people who have written stories (I hope theres some of you.) Feel free to post your christmas stories in this thread whenever you can. Just remember this isn't a challenge, this is just to celebrate an authors writing skills and christmas the H&A way.

Merry Christmas everyone. Have a good one.

Anna

xoxo

The Christmas Promise

-

"Jack" She whispered, touching his face, as the silent tears streamed down her cheeks. Her breath caught in her throat, as she watched him, just as she had, what felt like a lifetime ago.

Christmas had always meant laughter and happiness, smiles and joy. Until I had met Jack Holden. All Christmases, since our first, had broken my heart a little more each time. Until now, when I lay beside him, the grass cool and wet beneath my skin. His empty grave reminding me of what I’d thrown away, carelessly… of someone who was lost to me, forever.

"Jack..." I cried hoarsely, as he approached me. His strong arms had pulled my trembling body against his tightly, and I leant against him, knowing that I'd fall if he were ever to take his arms from around me.

"Shh," He comforted me, rubbing gentle circles on my back, just as my mother had done when I was a child, awoken from a nightmare on a dark eve.

"It doesn't have to be this way," I mumbled into his damp shirt, as he pulled me closer. "It doesn't have to be this way,"

But it had been, and nothing either of them could say would rectify the situation. Nothing either of them could say would change what had happened.

"Merry Christmas," Tony yelled happily as we walked into the room, Jack holding onto my hand tightly. We'd greeted the combined Holden/Hunter clan warmly as Lucas and Matilda made room for us on the couch, smiling broadly at one another, then at us.

Jack had joked with Tony, and I watched on, and their father and son bond shone through their actions. Jack had hugged me that day, and kissed my head, and whispered of promises of love and families.

Sometimes those promises are made to be broken. And even though neither Jack nor Martha could understand why, they simply knew, some time in the next year, that those promises weren't going to come true.

"Jack," I snapped at him, as he rolled over in our bed. "Jack, you've got to get up, you're family is expecting us."

A groan escaped his lips, followed by some foul language, until finally, his eyes opened, and he glared up at her.

"Look Martha, maybe you should go without me, I was at work until 3 last night.." He began, but didn't get any further, as I laughed spitefully.

"Now why does that not surprise me," I snorted, as Jack looked at me in disbelief.

"My job is very important to me," He replied, as I shook my head, and took a turn to glare at him.

"Of course it is, you're more committed to it than to me," I screamed, as he crawled out of bed, rubbing his head.

"Here's an idea," I cried, roughly taking of the diamond ring from my finger and throwing it at him, "Marry it!"

Flabbergasted, Jack watched as Martha walked out. But didn't follow her. He always believed she'd come back to him.

But she hadn't. And instead of swallowing his own pride, he'd simply waited. Waited, until it was too late. For both of them. The call had come, on a colder than usual Christmas morning, when the chill of the air chilled you to the very bone. 

"No!" Matilda screamed, red faced, as the tears welled in her eyes. Shaking her head, she ran past the men, unable to face the truth. Lucas followed her, after sharing a look with his father first, then his brother. Jack had simply nodded at them, any fear hid beneath the layers of ice that had developed a stronghold over his heart.

And I watched on in shock. In silence. As the man I'd once loved, was sent to war.

He hadn't returned either. She'd watched, tears peaking in the corners of her eyes, as she tried to remain strong. Tried to remain distant. Tried to pretend as if those promises he'd whispered those years ago didn't mean anything to her. Tried to pretend like her heart wasn't breaking once more.

His back was to her, but she knew he felt her presence. He stood stiffly, his tight uniform hugging his muscular body. All I could think about as I approached him was how alien the uniform looked on him.

Inches from his body, I stopped, and I watched as his breathing became erratic. He knew I was there, but he wouldn't turn to face me. He couldn't turn to face me. His shoulders sighed heavily, his body began to shake, until a small whimper of fear, of hurt, of pain, escaped my lips, and we could bare it no longer.

"Jack," I whispered hoarsely, my body falling, crumbling, into his open arms. He caught me, and held me close, my head coming to rest on his shoulder, as I cried endless tears, against his body. My hand crept to his face, my fingers traced the skin... still familiar, after all that had come to pass.

"It doesn't have to be this way," I mumbled into his damp shirt, as he pulled me closer. "It doesn't have to be this way,"

His eyes fluttered closed as he savoured the moment, the feelings, that he'd been locked from for so long. His hands gently massaged my back, as my strangled cries slowly died down to soft whimpers. And he pulled away from me then, and placed a tender kiss on my forehead, and turned, walking away. That day was the last time I ever saw Jack Holden... the last time I was held by the man I'd always loved.

"I remember Jack," I sighed softly, as I traced the lines of his name on the grey tombstone, just as I had done with his delicate features, all that time ago. "I remember how you promised that we'd always be together, how we'd get married and have four children, because you wanted me to have the large family I'd always wanted. I remember how you kissed my ear, then whispered how we'd grow old together, be with one another always."

The tears were spilling from my eyes now, rolling steadily down my cheek, glistening, like the early morning dew that surrounded me. Darkness overwhelmed my body, a hatred so dark, enveloping my soul.

"I'm sorry," I cried softly, pulling my legs to my chest, hugging myself tightly. "I'm sorry I let us fall apart. I’m so sorry,” The tears fell, “I let the darkness win.”

"No," A voice said from behind me. A ghostly voice, almost, from beyond the grave. Almost.

My breath caught in my throat, just as it had all those years ago, when I'd first heard is gravely voice, but I didn't dare turn around, for fear that I'd finally lost my mind.

"Martha," He said, just as he always had. His voice low, deep, a sense of longing in his tone, more desperate than I'd ever heard before.

I stood before I turned, preparing myself for the utter heartbreak I would feel when he wasn’t there. But as I turned, the world began to blur, and my knees went weak, my heart beat faster, and Jack was there, standing, in the shadows, the early morning sun glinting against the medals placed on his chest.

"Jack?" I whispered softly, as he limped forward from the shadows, and I stumbled towards him, unbelievingly. My hands reached for his face as I touched him softly, tracing those lines that now seemed like a distant memory, and a small smile appeared on his pale lips, tears shimmered in the corner of his eyes.

"Martha," He repeated, his hands cradling my face, and he traced my own face, unfamiliar, uncertain, his fingers trembling, as I looked at him longingly.

“Remember?” He uttered finally, as I felt my body weaken more, just because he was there, and I was in his arms. “I made a promise that I’d always find you,” He continued, as tears welled in my eyes.

That first Christmas night, I’d woken up in a sweat, haunted by flashing moments that had drained my body of light, that had slowly broken my heart. And Jack, he’d held me. And whispered one finally promise in my ear.

“In the dark,” He whispered again, his hands fumbling with my hair, pulling my lips closer to his own. “I will always find you.”

-

Yep, anyone who has a Christmas Story is welcome to post here, so we have a thread full of fan fiction Christmas Love!

Woo, two from me, because I could help myself. A huge thank you to Skykat for taking the time to proof read these, you're wonderful! Merry Christmas Everyone!

-

Christmas Time in the Bay

-

I see trees that are green, red roses too

I watch them bloom for me and you

“NO!!” Colleen screeched from behind the giant box of decorations she was carrying. “Not there Daniel, over by the Palm-Christmas Tree.”

A witty retort passed through his mind but Dan bit his tongue as Leah shot him a look, choosing instead to simply carry the oversized blow up Snowman to the corner, sitting it down gently next to the brightly decorated Palm Tree Colleen had insisted on having.

Standing up to admire her ‘work of art’ – So she called it, he felt a hand intertwine with him, and looked down to see Leah standing next to him.

“She means well,” Leah began, as Dan let out a short laugh.

“How did I know you were going to say that?” He replied, as she pinched his arm.

“Because she does.” Leah continued, attempting to be serious but unable to hide the smile on her face. “And she’s only allowed to do this once a year, let the poor woman have some fun.”

“Oh, fun, is that what you call this?” Dan asked, as he pointed to his red and green elfish attire.

Biting her lip, she simply nodded up at him, unable to stop the laughter that spilled happily from her mouth.

“You think it’s funny, do you?” He asked, and she continued nodding, leaving Dan no choice but to pull her to him, attacking her with tickles, leaving her breathless with giggles, content with love.

“Truce” Leah yelled finally, and Dan stopped tickling her, looking down at his red-faced wife.

“No more mocking?” He asked, fingers poised for attack again.

“No more mocking,” She smiled up at him, “Because it’s Christmas.”

Smiling broadly, he bent down and pecked his lips against hers, before a shrill voice interrupted them.

And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

”Daniel. Leah. There is no time for monkeying about. So stop smooching, and finish off the Palm tree, would you? Or do I have to do everything around here?” Colleen said exasperatedly, hands placed on her hips as she shook her head at them.

“Sorry Colleen,” Leah called, trying to contain her laughter. Before Dan could speak, she gently put a finger on his lips. “Because it’s Christmas, remember?”

“Yeah, just wait until the New Year,” He muttered, swiftly moving sideways to avoid the hand Leah threw gently at him.

“They seem perfect, don’t they?” Rachel sighed wistfully, as Kim nodded in agreement.

“They do, but so do we.” He said, his gruff voice tender, as he spoke lovingly to his wife.

“Well that’s because we are.” She replied, as she cradled the small baby in her arms.

I hear babies cry, I watch them grow

They'll learn much more, than I'll ever know

“She’s so tiny.” Rachel sighed. “So beautiful.”

Kim looked down at the child that rested gently in his wife’s arms. Her tiny body looked so vulnerable, and every time he looked at her, every time her tiny finger grabbed a hold of his own tightly, he felt love surge through his body, and the insatiable desire to want to protect her for the rest of his life.

Slowly, he was realising, that was what fatherhood was all about.

He looked up at his wife, who was practically glowing with love, and knew that he had finally found his family, finally made a life for himself that no one could break.

And Rachel felt the same too. She smiled as Sarah looked up at them, soft mummers of noise escaping her mouth. Pulling her closer, she held her with such care, not wanting her to break… or disappear.

“She’s our Christmas miracle.” Kim said finally, as Rachel shuffled over towards Kim, who welcomed her presence, as he wrapped an arm around she and Sarah, and drew them against him tightly.

And I think to myself, ohh what a wonderful world

“Our little Christmas angel.” Kim replied, taking a hold of his daughter’s hand once more, and cooing down at the darling, who was all smiles and laughter.

“Daddy’s angel.” He said, as he kissed Rachel’s head gently, allowing himself to finally relax.

“You made the right decision, sweetheart.” Beth said from behind Kit, as she turned around, no longer transfixed by the scene playing out in front of her.

She nodded, and smiled sadly, moving over and allowing room for her mother to join her.

The colours of the rainbow, so pretty in the sky

Are also on the faces of the people passing by

“Sarah will be loved, cherished, by Rachel, and Kim.” Beth continued, putting an arm around her daughters shoulder. “And you’ll always be a part of her life. Always.”

“I know.” Kit replied finally, her voice almost breaking. Her mother was only trying to cheer her up, just as everyone else had. The words still didn’t help to make it hurt any less.

Sneaking a glance towards the happy family once more, Kit was surprised when Kim looked over and caught her gaze, his smile conveying every wish, every dream, every thank you the world could possibly give to her, and then, when she looked towards Rachel, who was giving her the same look, the knots in her stomach began to subside.

Letting go hard been hard. Raising her child, would have been harder.

“She’ll always love you.” Beth said, interrupting her thoughts once more.

“How do you know?” Kit replied, still a little lost.

“Because a child’s love is unconditional. Much like a mothers.” Beth kissed Kits forehead gently, and pulled her eldest daughter into a hug. This last month had been hard on her, but she’d shown her true strength when deciding to give their baby to Kim and Rachel. And Beth had never been prouder.

“And love, and care, are never cherished more, than at Christmas.”

Looking over, she caught Tony’s eye, who was helping Jack lift some boxes, preparing himself for Colleen’s onslaught, but he managed to smile largely at her, and she returned the smile, blushing a little, as her heart fluttered.

I see friends shaking hands, saying, "How do you do?"

But they're really saying, "I love you"

“Dad,” Jack cried “Careful.”

“Sorry mate just got distracted.”

Jack threw a smirk in his fathers direction. “Sometimes you sound like a teenager in love.”

“Sometimes I feel like it.” Tony replied, and Jack couldn’t help but smile.

Their arrival in Summer Bay had been a little less smooth than planned, and sure, there had been some ups and downs… major ups and downs, but despite everything, Jack was sure his father was happier than he had been in years. His family, seemed happier than they had been in years.

“I just wish you’d stop being so giddy.” Jack said finally, as he and his father put the boxes onto the ground.

“I can’t help it.” Tony yelled over his shoulder as he walked away. “Christmas gets me every time.”

“Funny that, it gets me every time too.” Martha said from behind him.

“Hey you.”

Her lips met his instantly, and she smiled into the kiss.

I see trees that are green and red roses too

“Hey you yourself.” She replied, grinning up at him.

“Someone seems happy.” Jack wrapped his arms around her and pulled her to him gently.

“Someone is happy. Because it’s Christmas, and Christmas is all about spreading love and joy, and you of all people should know how full of love I am.” Martha rambled, as Jack laughed.

“What?” Martha pouted, as Jack reached up and tapped her nose gently.

“You’re like the anti-Grinch of Christmas” Jack replied, laughing harder.

“Hmm, the anti-Grinch. I like it.” Martha said finally, when Jack had finished laughing.

“You do, do you?” Jack pulled her closer to him, as Martha threaded her arms around his back.

“Yep.” Martha replied surely, her lips touching Jack’s lightly. Jack smiled, as Martha kissed him gently, knowing that even if this were the suckiest Christmas ever, everything would still be fine, because Martha was there with him.

Breaking from the kiss, Martha smiled back at Jack, before taking her arms from around his back and intertwining her fingers with his own. “And my first order of business as the anti-Grinch is to cheer up Auntie Morag.” She giggled.

“They seem happy, don’t they?” Sally asked, nudging Brad, as she passed him a drink. Accepting it gladly, he moved along, making room for Sally in the booth.

“It’s about time too, they’ve definitely had their fair share of troubles.” Sally continued, as a small smile graced Brad’s lips.

And I think to myself, oh what a wonderful world

“I was just thinking about how young and carefree they finally seem.” Brad replied, looking at Sally, whose eyes had suddenly become a little misty. “Are you alright?” Brad asked, his voice filled with concern, but Sally laughed a little, and waved it off.

“Don’t mind me. I’m just a real big softie at heart.” Sally tried to sound secretive, but Brad couldn’t help and laugh.

“Never would have guessed that.” Sally mock gasped at Brad, before laughing a little, and taking a sip of her drink.

“Everyone deserves a little happiness,” Sally said finally, resolutely.

“Especially at Christmas,” They continued in unison, causing both parties to laugh between themselves.

“Well, after the year you’ve had,” Sally began, but Brad cut her off.

“And what about your year?” Brad looked at Sally, his eyes piercing her soul. Neither of them looked away though, neither particularly wanted to.

“Here’s to a wonderful, fun filled Christmas,” Sally said finally, holding her glass up, her eyes never leaving Brad’s.

“To a wonderful Christmas,” Brad replied gently, clinking his glass with her own.

The colours of the rainbow, so pretty in the sky

Are also on the faces of the people passing by

“They are staring at us Peter.” Amanda protested from her seat, as Peter smiled towards her.

“They are not.” Peter took her hand in his, hoping to calm her. “And if they are, let them.”

“I don’t know how you can do it Peter, how you can deal with them speaking about you… us… like they do.” Amanda felt bad, letting all her insecurities leak out now, in front of everyone, but she couldn’t help it. She hadn’t wanted to put them through this, or to put him through this.

“Want to know how?” Peter gently pushed a strand of Amanda’s blonde hair behind her ear, and kissed her cheek gently. She nodded, her bottom lip sticking out a little, her usual aura of confidence wavering.

“Because I’m with you.” Peter stated it simply enough, but Amanda still looked confused. “Amanda, I love you, and I don’t care if the whole town doesn’t approve, as long as I’m with you, everything is perfect.”

I see friends shaking hands, saying, "How do you do?"

“Really?” Amanda asked, as the corners of her eyes began to glisten with tears.

“Really, really.” Peter replied, as his hand reached behind her head, softly bringing her lips closer to his. Peter felt Amanda sigh contentedly, and knew that he’d managed to keep the fears at bay.

“Merry Christmas Amanda.” Peter said, pulling away from her lips, as she gazed lovingly up at him.

“Merry Christmas Peter.”

But they're really saying, "I love you.”

“Drew,” Belle snapped sharply at him. “Don’t give in. Fight it Drew, fight it.”

“It’s like they are the flame, and I’m the unsuspecting moth. I can’t look away. It draws me in.”

“Of course you can,” Belle snapped once more. “Look at something else. Anything else. How about the overboard on the green and red tinsel around the bar?”

“Or the really bad fake snowman Colleen has constructed?” Luke laughed, as he came to sit beside Belle.

“Or the very tight, and very revealing outfit she had poor Dan in?” Matilda suggested, and she and Ric joined the table.

“Hell, even her own costume is more amusing,” Ric threw in finally, unable to contain his laughter as Colleen ran past, shouting orders at someone.

I see trees of green and red roses too

“Quick, hide me!” Cassie said, appearing at their table, and ducking herself behind Matilda’s chair.

“Cassie,” Matilda turned to whisper in to her. “Who are you hiding from?”

“Colleen, she’s at me to be some, Virgin Mary for the night. And she won’t stop hassling me,” Cassie ducked quickly, as Colleen ran towards their table.

“Have any of you seen Cassie? I need her to play the virgin for the night.”

“Well,” Ric began, “You see, Cassie isn’t exactly a vir…”

“I’m sorry Colleen,” Matilda said, as she pinched Ric’s arm ever so gently. “But we haven’t seen Cassie all night. Maybe she decided to stay home.”

“Oh, but I was sure I saw her, I was positive… Oh no Daniel, not there,” She screamed, rushing off as fast as she could towards her main display.

“Thank you,” Cassie crept from her hiding place, smiling warmly at Matilda before punching Ric in the arm.

“What?” Ric asked, as Belle and Matilda began to laugh. “I was simply going to set Colleen straight,”

“Yeah, right.” Cassie said, sitting down next to Drew, but still keeping a look out for Colleen.

“Hey,” Lucas said “No fighting, it’s Christmas. Let’s simply enjoy the festivities.”

All were silent for a moment, before Belle spoke up.

“We can still mock Colleen, right?” She asked, causing everyone to laugh once more.

“Ah, to be young and carefree again,” Alf sighed, as Morag shook her head.

“Young and foolish, more like it Alfred.”

“Oh hush, leave them be.” Irene said, as she smiled happily around her. “Everything is just as it is.”

“Oh Irene, how can you always be so positive?” Morag replied, her tone sour, as usual.

“Because it’s Christmas, and darl, everyone deserves to be happy at Christmas.”

“Come on Morag,” Alf stated, as he watched on happily. “Everyone deserves a little Christmas cheer.”

“Well, I’m sure they’ll survive if I happened to slip out,” Morag began, standing up slowly.

“And just where do you think you’re going?” Colleen asked from behind Morag, hands crossed over her chest in annoyance. “The festivities haven’t even begun.”

“Oh I was just,” Morag began, but Colleen pushed her back down.

“You stay right there, everyone needs to be here for the celebration, you’ll never guess what I’ve got planned,” Colleen squealed gleefully, her face lighting up with excitement.

“Oh I don’t know, maybe a re-enactment of the birth of Christ?” Morag muttered sarcastically, as Irene began to laugh, clapping Alf on the shoulder.

“Everything as it should be.” He repeated, smiling.

And I think to myself, oh what a wonderful world

I think to myself, ooh what a wonderful world

-

-

-

-

Fading Flames

-

Have yourself a merry little Christmas

Let your heart be light

From now on your troubles will be out of sight, yeah

-

Christina Aguilera’s smooth voice filled the room, and I smiled, in spite of myself. Snuggling down onto the couch, with only the flicker of a candle, and the soft moon for light, I listened, as her sweet, melodic voice floated through my ears, and I closed my eyes, letting her words soak into my soul.

Memories flashed through my mind, moments that had helped change my life; people who had helped me grow. And I began to wonder; just how much could change in a year?

Lucas and I had been together this time last year… together, and happier than I’d ever believed myself to be.

-

Have yourself a merry little Christmas

Make the Yuletide gay

-

So much had happened since then, and it forever felt as if there had been too many words spoken between Luke and I, too many hateful, spiteful things said. Too many painful memories that would stop us from ever going back, ever being able to be the same.

Because since then, we’d been living two separate lives, and the rift that had been formed once upon a fight, had never really been healed. Because try as we did, we could never find our way back to the safety of one another.

-

From now on your troubles will be miles away, oh ooh

-

We’d found others to fill the void, and we’d moved on with our lives. And together, apart, we were happy again. Somehow, Ric and I had ignited an old flame that had lay dormant in our hearts, and Belle had found Luke, or Luke Belle, when they had needed one another the most. Love was born from friendship, and the world kept turning.

-

Here we are as in olden days

Happy golden days of yore, ah

-

A soft breeze swept through the open window, causing the candle flame to flicker slightly. My eyes became memorised for a moment, as I watched the tiny flame fight to stay alive. The flame felt so close, the heat became so intense, and suddenly, I was suffocating in memories of that night.

My eyes snapped closed, as my fingertips grazed the calloused, scarred skin on my shoulder, and fleeting moments flashed across my eyes, I saw the bright light a second before I heard a deafening ringing in my ears, before the searing pain overwhelmed by body. Sometimes it would do that, and I’d wake up in a sweat, my body wracked with sobs, from the nightmare that still haunted me to this day.

A nightmare that had left me tainted; left me batting the imperfections, my demons, that would forever haunt me. Because that night, those moments that had forever changed my life, would never truly be gone. The monster it had created would always be there, dormant, waiting for its time once more.

-

Faithful friends who are dear to us

They gather near to us, once more, ooh

-

A single tear slid down my cheek, and I brushed it away hastily, startled, as someone coughed behind me.

His smile was small, his body shadowed, the candlelight not quite reaching his face. He leant against the doorframe that led into the lounge room, and suddenly, the air felt thick, overpowering, as I hastily pulled my hand away from my shoulder, and looked away from his intense gaze.

-

Through the years we all will be together

If the fates allow

-

He pushed himself lightly off the frame and walked towards me, his tall, muscular body moving swiftly, gracefully, as he’d always done. He halted a little away from me, his body shifting almost nervously, from foot to foot, unable to stand still.

“You’re still beautiful,” The words fell out of his mouth before he could stop them. “You’ll always be beautiful, Matilda. I hope you see that.”

I nodded, unsure to trust my voice, unsure of what his words meant. Thankfully, I didn’t have to wait long, for him to explain.

-

Hang a shining star upon the highest bow, ohh

And have yourself a merry little Christmas now

-

“I just thought you should know what I thought,” Luke said, formulating his words as he spoke them. “Because, you know, you and I don’t really speak all that much, and because it’s Christmas, and if not at Christmas, then when else?”

Nodding again, I avoided his eyes, blue, like the sky, and looked instead into the flame, focusing on its light, its heat, its strength.

Focusing on anything but him.

“Would you like to dance?” He asked finally, catching me off guard, leaving me no choice but to turn and look at him.

-

Oooh...

-

His hand reached out towards me, and I bit my lip nervously before extending my own, grasping his, as he pulled me from the lounge towards the empty space in the living room. He paused in the centre, before tentatively putting his hands on my hips, holding me ever so softly, as if he were afraid I would break in his arms.

I smiled a little awkwardly at him, before allowing my arms to hang loosely around his shoulders, my head resting gently against his chest, as we swayed to the sweet music that played gently in the background.

-

Faithful friends who are dear to us

They gather near to us, once more, ohh

-

So much had transpired between Luke and I this year. And sometimes, it felt as if the painful memories overshadowed the happy ones. I cringed, when I remembered the careless, hurtful words we had slung at one another over and over… hoping, wishing, that we’d both feel the same pain.

Then I smiled, as I remembered how he’d always been my pillar of strength, despite everything that had been said. How he’d held me in his arms as I’d cried, over and over, how he’d protected me from my demons.

How he’d waited for me. Too long, it seemed, sometimes.

-

Through the years we all will be together

If the fates allow, oh yeah

-

“Lucas I…” I began, pulling away from him, unaware of how our bodies had drifted closer to one another, magnetised, as always, it seemed.

His blue eyes gazed down into my own, and momentarily I became caught in the past, remembering when he’d first looked down at me like that, and I felt the tears prickling in my eyes, as my mind swirled with regret and pain, and unspoken words of love hung between us, as real as the air we breathed.

My breath hitched, as his hand moved to the small of my back, gently closing the small gap between our bodies. My hands instantly, naturally, played with the hair at the nape of his neck as his hands, large, strong, held me firm, as our bodies swayed in unison, just as they always had.

-

But 'til then we'll have to muddle through, somehow

Oh yeah, oh ooh oh

-

“Luke,” I tried again, and this time he complied, pushing himself away from me, without breaking all contact.

“I’m sorry,” I said finally, my heart heavy, my voice barely audible.

“I know,” He mumbled in response, his body finally pulling away from mine, as I felt the loss of the intimacy instantly. “Me too.”

“I wish…”

“I know,” He shook his head sadly. “I know,”

Together, we stood. The only sound being the light crackling of a flame that was slowly dying away, the heat almost extinguished… reminiscent of the love we’d shared. And lost.

“Merry Christmas Matilda” Lucas sighed finally, as he kissed my head gently, holding me for a moment, before letting go, and leaving me standing, alone.

“Merry Christmas Lucas” I murmured gently, watching his retreating form, until all he felt like, was a blurred memory from my past.

And with one final flicker, the light from the candle died.

And have yourself a merry little Christmas now

A note on this: this is a oneshot "Christmas Special" sequel to my old fic, "A Cat for the Flat," but you don't have to read that to read this (I hope). IF you did want to read that though, you might want to read it first cause this sequel is riddled with spoilers. You have been warned.

And another warning, this does have some sexual references, bordering on content :wink:

Enjoy :D

A CAT FOR THE FLAT: CHRISTMAS SPECIAL

“More rapid than eagles his coursers they came,

And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name;

‘Now, Dasher! Now, Dancer! Now, Prancer and Vixen!

On, Comet! On Cupid! On, Donner and Blitzen!

To the top of the porch! To the top of the wall!

Now dash away! Dash away! Dash away all!’”

Robbie halted his slow and steady recital of The Night Before Christmas, suspicious at the lack of interruption. It seemed his audience was no longer with him.

Her tiny fingers curled limply against his shoulder as he lay beside her. Long hair floated softly over her pale skin, spilling out onto the pillow beneath her head.

Robbie smiled and put the picture book down on his daughter’s bedside table. He stayed beside her for a moment, stroking the golden waves that framed her sleep-filled features.

“You look just like your daddy,” he whispered proudly.

A peaceful, purring snore was the response.

Robbie smirked. “You sound like him too.”

He shuffled away from her and alighted from the bed, careful not to wake his princess as he made his escape.

Robbie crossed the room and switched on the nightlight, which had a silhouette of Santa’s reindeer in flight amongst a backdrop of twinkling black stars. They had bought it for her the year she was born and brought it out to celebrate every Christmas since.

Six years on and the light, like their family, was still going strong.

Robbie turned out the bedroom light and took one last look at her, snuggled up to the pink boomerang pillow, in the dim glow that remained.

He walked out into the hallway with a contented smile, closing her door behind him. Spelled out across the top of it in rounded mauve letters was the name Kelly – a combination of her grandmothers’ names, Kerry and Elizabeth.

Kelly’s middle name was Angela – the name of her biological grandmother. Robbie and his husband, Kim, were ill equipped to conceive the child they wanted for themselves, so they employed the help of their best friend, Tasha. While Tasha had once been married to Robbie herself, their break-up had been mutual and the best thing for both of them, particularly since Robbie had realised that he was gay soon after.

Tasha had left town to live with her brother Dylan in the city. She let Robbie keep the apartment they had shared, which legally belonged to her, until Kim bought it from her with the money he had saved as the manager of the Summer Bay Gym; a position that he may never have enjoyed if Tasha hadn’t bought a share of the establishment for him in the first place.

Tasha helped Kim and Robbie more than either of them could have hoped for by agreeing to give birth to their first child. Tasha knew that she didn’t have to worry about being cut out of child’s life. The boys had told Kelly from the start that Tasha was as much her parent as they were, even if she wasn’t around.

Tasha had stayed with Robbie and Kim for a few months either side of the pregnancy, just so they could all be a part of it, but then she went back to her life in the city. Robbie had taught Kelly how to make video calls on his mobile so that she could stay in touch with her mummy, and so that Tasha could see her little girl grow up.

Robbie had barely taken two steps down the hallway when Kim burst in through the front door opposite him.

Kim fumbled with his keys, trying to keep the door ajar while balancing a large, unmarked box on his knee.

Robbie hurried forward to help him, stifling a laugh. “Hang on,” he instructed Kim in a whisper, lifting the box from his husband’s arms.

The package was a lot lighter than it looked, but it was awkward. Particularly since it’s contents kept shifting from side to side, corner to corner.

Robbie held the box as steady as he could and waited for Kim, who was much stronger and therefore better at handling these things, to take it back from him.

Kim closed the front door of the flat as gently as he could, cringing as the lock snapped loudly into place. He glanced at Kelly’s door, half-expecting her to come running out to see what was going on. It was Christmas Eve, and she would interpret any noise she heard as evidence of Santa Clause’s arrival.

“Is she asleep?” Kim asked.

Robbie nodded. “Didn’t even make it through the whole poem.” One day Kelly would find out how The Night Before Christmas ended.

“Ah,” Kim relaxed, “I knew I could count on you to bore her into unconsciousness.”

Robbie narrowed his eyes. He thrust the wriggling box at Kim. Kim grinned and took it off Robbie’s hands, leaning in to kiss him at the same time. A likely apology, thought Robbie.

Kim carried the box into their room and set it down on the floor. Robbie followed him in, locking the door behind him, just in case Kelly did decide to come snooping.

Robbie knelt down beside Kim, watching the box with caution. “Did everything go alright?” he asked. “Did you get the right one?”

“No,” said Kim. “The pet store accidentally gave the one we wanted away. I had to pick up a stray on the way home.”

Robbie stared at him.

“I’m kidding, Rob.”

Kim lifted up the lid of the box, revealing the scrawny black kitten inside. It was cringing in a corner, which was lined with damp shredded newspaper.

Yes, that pungent smell did bring back memories.

Seven years ago, Robbie’s sister Mattie and her boyfriend Lucas had been living in the flat as well. One day, they came home to inform Robbie and Kim that they had purchased a fluffy white kitten (which they later named Belle). Robbie hadn’t minded one bit – he’d always wanted a cat. Kim on the other hand was furious. He hated cats and wanted nothing to do with them. Or so he said. He later confided in Robbie that the reason he hated cats so much was because he had owned one as a kid. Its name was Slater. It had lived for a matter of days before an older cat attacked and killed it in his own backyard, thereby robbing Kim of his faith in feline-kind.

Belle, with the ‘gentle’ persuasion of Robbie, Lucas, and Mattie, eventually restored Kim’s faith. So much so that he decided that Kelly should have a cat of her very own. (Mattie and Luke had moved out a few years ago, and taken Belle with them.)

“Cute, huh?” said Kim, grinning down at the new kitten.

“If by ‘cute’ you mean ‘filthy,’” said Robbie. There were bits of newspaper sticking to the kitten’s fur. “How long has he been in this box?”

“A couple of hours.”

“Kim!”

“What?”

“You can’t keep an animal trapped like that!” Robbie reached into the box, in spite of the unsanitary conditions, and picked up the kitten. “He was probably thinking he’d never get out of there.”

“He’s fine,” said Kim. “Cats like the dark. It makes them feel safe… or something.”

Robbie held the kitten at arm’s length, hesitating to put it on the carpet. “I think we better give him a bath before we give him to Kel.”

Robbie stood at the kitchen sink, dragging a light spray of soapy water up over the kitten as it clawed uneasily on the metal basin.

“Aren’t you supposed to put a towel down or something so they don’t slide all over the place?” said Kim, eating one of the cookies that Kelly had left out for Santa.

Robbie glared at him, trying to avoid being clawed himself.

“Yes,” he grudgingly admitted, “But I forgot. It’s been like four years since Belle was here you know.”

“Really?” Kim chewed up another cookie. “That long? Jeez, seems like only yesterday she was crapping in this very kitchen, doesn’t it?”

“I love how your memory works,” said Robbie, wondering why his charming husband couldn’t pick a more pleasant image. “Hey!” he warned Kim as he reached for another cookie. “Back off! That’s mine!”

Kim put the cookie down on the plate and threw up his hands. Then he grabbed the bottle of beer that was sitting on the bench beside it. (Robbie and Kim had informed their daughter, on good authority, that Santa preferred beer to milk.)

“Hey!” hissed Robbie, appalled that he was getting gypped out of another treat after he was the one making the kitten presentable. What did Kim think he was going to the trouble for? To see Kelly’s smiling face on Christmas morning? Hell no! He was doing it for the cookies and beer!

“Keep your pants on,” said Kim, bringing the beer over to the sink – not a suggestion he often made to Robbie. He opened the bottle and offered for his husband to take it, but Robbie showed him that he had soapy hands – not the best for handling glass. “Jeez,” said Kim, foreseeing more effort than he had counted on. He held the bottle to Robbie’s lips and tipped it up for him to drink.

“Mm…” hummed Robbie, trying to swallow the drink as fast as Kim was pouring. “Mm!”

Kim took the bottle away, grinning as Robbie coughed.

“Thanks!” said Robbie sarcastically. He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand – the unfavourable flavour of wet cat and soap.

“No problem,” smirked Kim. He took a swig of the beer himself and set it down by the sink.

Kim walked over to the open window. There were two carrots balanced precariously on the sill.

“You can have those,” said Robbie over his shoulder, picking the drowned looking kitten up out of the sink and setting it on the bench. He moved the beer to the other side so the cat wouldn’t knock it over.

“Gee, thanks,” said Kim, taking up one of the vegetables. At least Robbie had peeled them for the ‘reindeer.’ He bit the end off one, crunching it up loudly.

Robbie grabbed the towel that he had lain out on the bench and began to dry the kitten. It squirmed horribly under his fingers. Robbie was worried that if he tried too hard to control it, he might crush the poor thing in his hands.

The sound of obnoxious chewing in his ear alerted Robbie to the fact that Kim was now standing over his shoulder, watching the drying process.

“We should give him a name,” said Kim, his mouth half full of carrot.

“Don’t you think we should let Kelly do that?”

“Yeah, but she’s six, and she’s a girl. She’ll give him a stupid name, like Fluffy or Mittens or…”

“Okay,” said Robbie, thinking that the kitten did kind of looked like a ‘Fluffy,’ now that he had rubbed the towel all over him. “What’s a good name then?”

“Slater The Second,” said Kim, as though he were announcing the name of a prince.

“Slater The Second?”

“In memoriam of Slater The First.”

Robbie considered the little black kitten, and remembered Kim telling him that Slater (The First) had been black. “I’m starting to think we didn’t get this cat for Kelly,” he said. “I’m also starting to wonder if you tricked me into naming our daughter after your favourite surfer…”

Kim took another bite of his carrot, looking completely innocent, and turned away.

Robbie threw Kim a suspicious look, and then wrapped ‘Slater The Second’ up in the towel, cradling him to his chest.

“Meow!” – the first sound the kitten had made since it got here.

“Sh,” said Robbie, “It’s okay.” He bounced the kitten in his arms, remembering when he had done this when Kelly was a baby. Kim smiled at him. He remembered it too.

“I guess we could let Kel name him,” Kim decided. “Slater could be his middle name. Aren’t cats supposed to have like six names anyway?”

Robbie rolled his eyes. “Of all the gay culture you could get into, you go for Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals.”

“It was one musical and it just happened to be on the ABC while I was waiting for the rugby to start!”

“Uh huh. Nothing to do with all those guys prancing around in skin-tight leotards…”

“We should go to bed,” said Kim, quickly changing the subject. Or so Robbie thought.

“It’s like eight o’clock,” said Robbie. “You can’t possibly want to go to sleep yet.”

Kim went back to the windowsill and put the stub of the first carrot down, so that Kelly would find that something had eaten it during the night. He picked the second carrot up and touched the end of it to his lips, leering at Robbie.

“Sleep wasn’t what I had in mind.” He licked the tip of long, hard vegetable, and then sucked it into his mouth.

Robbie swallowed in unison, glued to Kim’s display. “Right…” he said breathlessly. He remembered he was holding an underage cat, and covered its eyes.

Kim laughed – Robbie was so easy.

“Right,” said Robbie again, regaining his composure, “You finish doing that, and I’ll go put this little boy back in his box.”

Kim was sure that he could make a filthy euphemism in response to that, but decided that playing it out would be more fun.

They had purchased some food and kitty litter and a litter tray in advance. Robbie pulled them out of the cupboard, cleaned out the dirty pet shop box, and put the tray back in there, along with a towel, food, and water, so that Slater The Second would be clean and comfortable for the night.

Kim busied himself with putting the rest of Kelly’s presents under the tree, along with a couple that he had managed to keep hidden from his spouse. Kim was just lucky that Robbie wasn’t as nosey has he was. (He’d found that ipod-shaped looking package in Robbie’s bottom draw three weeks ago.)

When it was all done, Kim came back into the bedroom and shut the door behind him.

He sighed, exhausted. He crawled onto the bed and lay on his back.

Robbie pushed the closed-up kitten box into the bottom of Kim’s closet, out of the way. Kim was probably right about cats liking the dark.

He stood up from the floor and joined Kim on the bed.

“Aw,” he said, rubbing Kim’s chest sympathetically, “You look tired. Maybe you should just go straight to sleep.”

Kim wondered if Robbie was serious for a moment, but Robbie wasn’t able to keep a straight face. As soon as Robbie cracked, Kim grabbed him and rolled him over on the bed, pinning his back to the wrinkled quilt. Robbie laughed, pleasantly breathless as Kim’s superior weight lay on top of him.

Kisses in his mouth, on his neck, on his shoulders… down his chest, down his sides… his stomach… his…

“Oh!” Robbie sighed. Merry Christmas!

They awoke in their windowless room (one of the downsides to living in an apartment). There was a crack of light spilling in from underneath the closed door. Robbie could see Kim well enough by it.

A moment later, Kim awoke to see that Robbie had been watching him sleep.

“Hey,” said Kim.

“Morning,” smiled Robbie. “Merry Christmas.”

Kim felt Robbie’s hand resting in his. He held it and brought it up to his mouth, kissing the back of it tenderly. “Merry Christmas,” he said.

An explosion and a scream snapped their attention to the loungeroom. A second later, they realised that it was too soft a sound to have been real. Someone was watching TV.

“She’s awake,” yawned Robbie, relaxing his head back into his pillow. He glanced at the clock – 6.13am.

“So’s he,” said Kim, turning to the rustling sound coming from the depths of his closet.

“Time to introduce them, you reckon?”

“Yep.”

“Daddy!” called Kelly excitedly. She leapt up from her spot in front of the TV and rushed into Kim’s arms.

“Hey, Princess,” he said sleepily.

Robbie slipped out from the bedroom behind him. (Kim hadn’t made it out of the doorway before being tackled.)

“Daddy! Santa came!” she told Kim excitedly. “Look!”

She rushed over to the tree, almost tripping Robbie over as he headed towards it himself.

“Dada!” she said to him. “Look!” She pointed at the presents that Santa had left for her. “Look!”

“Oh, wow!” said Robbie, kneeling down with her to get a closer look. He regretted it a second later when Kelly sprang up, demanding he do the same, as she tore into the kitchen.

“Dada, look!” she grabbed Robbie’s arm, dragging him off the floor to see what had happened. “He ate the cookies, and the beer, and the carrots! The reindeers ate the carrots!”

Kim snorted to himself.

“Wow, that’s pretty cool,” said Robbie, giving Kim a knowing look. Reindeer indeed…

“Dada, can I open my presents now?”

“Hm, I don’t know…” said Robbie. “What does Daddy think?”

“Daddy!” yelled Kelly, rushing back to Kim. “Can I open my presents now, pleeeeease? I’ve been waiting for ages and ages and ages and I was watching cartoons but they were boring but you wouldn’t wake up but then you did and – ”

“Yes!” said Kim suddenly, turning Kelly around and pointing her at the presents. “Go! Open!”

Kelly may have had Kim’s genes, but she was definitely Robbie’s daughter.

Kelly sat down in front of the tree, and her Daddy and Dada did the same. She ripped through her own presents, and one of Robbie’s as well. He told her that Santa had put too much stickytape on it and he needed help unwrapping it. Kelly was more than happy to oblige.

In minutes, the family was surrounded by torn and discarded paper, as well as toys, CDs, DVDs, and X-box games. There were a few clothes as well, but no one was really interested in them. Santa also brought Kim a new ipod, which Kim was very surprised and happy to receive.

Kelly looked around the base of the tree, wondering why there weren’t anymore presents.

“Daddy?” she asked, “Why didn’t I get anything from you and Dada?”

Kim and Robbie exchanged knowing glances.

“We didn’t have time to go shopping this year,” said Kim. “We just asked Santa to bring you some extra stuff instead.”

“Oh,” said Kelly. She didn’t feel like Santa had gotten her any more than he usually did… Maybe that toy horse that walked all by itself was more expensive than she thought.

“Why don’t we call Mum?” asked Robbie.

“Rob, it’s 6.40 in the morning…” Kim didn’t think Tasha would appreciate being woken up so early. She probably hadn’t gone to bed at eight.

“Ah it’s never too early for family,” said Robbie, standing up to go get his phone.

He returned a few seconds later. Kelly was playing with her horse, checking the quality of it. It did look expensive…

“Here we go,” said Robbie. He dialled Tasha’s mobile number and waited. “Tasha!” he said enthusiastically.

“Rob? What? Wha…” She rolled over in bed and looked at her alarm clock. “Rob, it’s 6.40 in the morning… Is something wrong? Has something happened?” She may not have been raising Kelly, but that didn’t mean she wasn’t a paranoid mother.

“No, no, no, nothing like that. I just have someone here that wants to wish you a Merry Christmas.”

Robbie pointed the camera lens of the phone at his daughter.

“MERRY CHRISTMAS MUM!” Kelly yelled. If the neighbours weren’t already awake, they were now.

“Merry Christmas,” answered Tash, with as much energy as she could find.

“Merry Christmas Tash,” said Kim, recognising the tiredness in her voice. He sympathised.

“Did Santa bring you platform shoes?” Tasha asked Kelly.

“No!” Kelly laughed.

“Oh, are you sure?” asked Tash, waking up more and more as she heard her baby talking. “You’re so much taller than the last time I saw you! It has to be platform shoes.”

Kelly giggled. “No it’s not!”

“Well you can’t have gotten that big all by yourself…”

Kelly giggled more. Her Mummy was funny.

Kim had slipped out of the room while Kelly was distracted. He had just come back in with a large box. It had a ribbon around it, and it looked heavy.

“Kel.” Kim got her attention away from the phone.

Kelly saw the box, and the big black letters written on the side of it. She couldn’t really read properly yet, but she understood all these words and knew what they said: ‘To Kelly, from Dada, Daddy, and Mummy.’

Her eyes lit up – it was so big! And it was hers!

Kim set the box down beside her.

“You got me something!” she realised excitedly. “What is it?!”

“Open it!” said Kim.

Robbie kept the phone trained on her, making sure that Tasha could see everything.

Kim helped Kelly untie the ribbon, and then she pulled the lid off the box.

“Meow…?”

Slater The Second blinked into the sudden light source.

“Oh my gosh!” squealed Kelly. She reached into the box and dragged the little black kitten out. “Oh my gosh he’s so pretty!”

“Just what every guy likes to hear,” said Robbie sarcastically.

“Never heard you complain,” Kim retorted.

Tasha laughed.

“Hey, quiet you,” Robbie warned her. “Or I’ll hang up!”

“You would not,” said Tasha.

“Don’t tempt me, woman!”

“Okay, I’ll be good!” she promised. She knew that Robbie was only joking, but she didn’t want to risk missing this. “Kelly, come show me the kitten!”

Tasha watched the screen of her mobile as Kelly shuffled eagerly towards her. And then it went black. For a moment, she thought it had cut out, until Kelly pulled the kitten back a bit, and Tasha could see a wide green eye staring back at her, right next to a sniffling pink nostril.

“Oh, he’s beautiful, isn’t he?”

“Other masculine term,” Robbie muttered.

Kim snuck around behind him and kissed him on the cheek. “You’re beautiful,” he said.

Well, when Kim put it like that.

Robbie turned and kissed Kim properly. Kim could feel Robbie smiling against his lips, which made him do the same. Neither of them noticed that Kelly had taken the phone from Robbie’s hand and pointed the lens at them, causing Tasha to laugh again.

Another Christmas over.

Kim lay on his bed, eyes closed, contemplating the long day that had been.

They had gone for lunch at Robbie’s mum’s place. They’d all eaten too much, and some people had had a few too many drinks. Not Robbie and Kim – not with Kel to look after – but Grandma Beth and Grandpa Tony… well, it’s not like they had to drive home. It was quite funny to watch them, actually, laughing hysterically at the drop of a paper crown.

It worked out well that Rob’s mum had married Tony Holden, because that meant that Lucas Holden, their old flatmate and Robbie’s brother-in-law, could always spend Christmas with them. Kim liked Lucas. He was good value. Kim supposed that he couldn’t have lived with him for three years if he wasn’t. He still missed Luke, Mattie, and Belle living with them sometimes. He knew that Robbie did too. Kelly was more than enough company though.

Slater The Second – or Blitzen, as Kelly had renamed him – would keep them busy with all his kitty antics. Kim wasn’t particularly looking forward to housetraining another cat, but he figured it couldn’t take more than a couple of months. Kelly took years.

“Can I open them yet?” asked Kim, anxious to regain his vision. He could hear Robbie doing something in the closet, but he’d been told to keep his eyes closed.

“Just a second,” said Robbie, sounding like he was struggling.

“Do you need some help?”

“Nope… I’m… eh… fine…”

Kim wondered what that crash was.

“Ow…”

At this rate, Kelly would wake up and Kim would never get what Robbie had promised him.

“Okay,” said Robbie triumphantly, “Now you can open them.”

Kim opened his eyes. He looked in the direction of Robbie’s voice, and sat up.

“Ah…” Kim began in a nervous laugh.

Robbie was standing in his underwear, but Kim was quite sure he’d never seen that particular pair of briefs before. They were dark green with white fur trim around the legs. As Robbie strutted closer, Kim could read the words ‘Merry XXX mas’ written on the front of them in bright red letters.

“So,” Robbie asked, “Do you like your Christmas present?”

“Rob…where did you get those?”

“Internet.” He tugged at the fur trim – it seemed to be cutting of his circulation. “Not quite my size, but I figured I wouldn’t be wearing them for long.”

Kim shook his head, laughing. “Come here.”

Robbie didn’t need to be told twice. He crawled onto the bed and into Kim’s arms. Kim kissed him.

“Oh, one more thing,” said Robbie, turning his back on Kim. “Check it out.”

Kim read the back of the briefs. They now read ‘Merry XXX mas’… ‘and a happy new rear.’

“Pretty cool, huh?”

Kim shook his head, grinning. “Rob, I don’t think you could be more uncool if you tried.” Robbie frowned. Kim quickly ran his hand over his back, massaging the lean muscles. “But, you are still damn sexy.”

Robbie smiled again and shifted back into Kim’s arms. “Close enough.”

LOL, Emmasi! I knew you'd do something along those lines! Sevenpudddings, Emmasi and furrylogic, those were great stories! Here's mine!

Dear Santa...

It was the night before Christmas and all through the Summer Bay house was the Christmas spirit in everyone.

The excitement of Christmas filled Sally, and she bounced from bed to bed in happiness....tomorrow Santa would come! But as she gazed over at Lynn at the other side of the room, her foot got caught in the sheets, sending her tumbling to the floor. She fell onto the floor, hitting her head on the leg of Lynn’s chair.

Lynn looked down at her distraction, her little foster sister.

“What’re you doing?” Sally asked her curiously, trying to peer over her shoulder at what Lynn was doing. A pen in her hand, and paper with cursive writing on it lay on the desk.

“What are you writing?” Sally asked again. Carly, who was sitting on her own bed, burst into laughter.

“She’s writing to Santa!” Carly snickered. She thought Lynn was being ridiculous. Everyone knew Santa wasn’t real. Honestly, sometimes....

“I want to write to Santa!” Sally whined. She hated to miss out on Christmassy things, and writing to Santa would almost be as good as meeting him...he was FAMOUS!

Sally gawked at Lynn. “You can write an actual letter to THE actual Santa?!” she exclaimed.

“Sally, don’t be thick. Santa doesn’t even exist, Lynn’s just being silly” Carly rolled her eyes at her two foster sisters. EVERYONE knew Santa was a stupid story made up to fool them, and here Lynn and Carly were, going on about writing letters to him?

“But-” tears filled Sally’s eyes. But he had to be real, he just had to! She ran out of the room, crying, it wasn’t fair. Santa wasn’t real? Then there was no Christmas! It was like there was no meaning at all!

She ran to Pippa, telling her the news.

“Pippa!” she cried to her foster mother, tears still down her cheeks. Pippa looked concerned immediately, what could be wrong at Christmas time?

Sally wiped her tears with the back of her hand, as she explained what had happened, and how unfair it was the Santa wasn’t real. Pippa stroked Sally’s cheek, she really was upset. She took her back to her room, and sung quietly to her before she fell into a deep sleep.

Sally snored and snored, her eyes shut tightly, until suddenly they sprung open at the sound of something falling. Immediately frightened, she ran into Pippa’s and Tom’s room, but they were both in a deep sleep, and she didn’t want to wake them.

She realized it was up to her, Sally, to save Christmas for her family. She slowly walked down the stairs, her tiny feet pattering on the wood. She carefully opened the door, jumping when it creaked quietly, and it revealed a loved character.

“Santa!” Sally gasped, as she saw the white-bearded man in a red and white suit. She peered past him to see a sleigh full of presents, with reindeer tied to the front, Rudolph leading at the front.

Sally could see that all that they had said in songs, books and movies was true. Carly was wrong. There WAS a Santa.

Sally gave Santa a big toothy grin, and he gave her a smile back.

“I think this is for you” he handed her a small package wrapped in Christmas paper, that said Sally on the front. She tore it open to reveal a snow globe. Not just any snow globe, a snow globe with the North Pole inside.

“That, my friend, is magic.” He told her, as she gazed at it’s beautiful insides. She looked at him curiously.

“Rub it” he whispered to her, and as she did, her world was sent into a spin. Feeling like she was running round in many circles, Sally got very dizzy, but had never been so happy. She got to meet Santa!

As the circles slowed down, Sally could see she was not at home anymore. The globes insides were no longer North Pole, but had changed to the little miniature of her own home. She felt the cold substance between her toes, and looking down she saw snow. Around her were all kinds of buildings, and all kinds of people. Magical.

She was definitely not at the Summer Bay house...she was somewhere else. Somewhere exciting that every child dreams of...the North Pole!

She wanted to see it all at once, it was so beautiful, so magical, it was a dream come true.

“Shall we take a look around?” Santa asked her, and Sally nodded eagerly, and he held her hand, leading her towards the toy factory.

“This is where the elves make what you get every year!” Santa told her.

“WOW!” Sally cried. There were machines working everywhere, with little elves working hard. They had pointed ears, like they had in stories, too. Toy after toy was wrapped and stored, it was incredible. Sally looked longingly at an empty spot where no one was working.

“Would you like a turn?” he asked her, as though he could read her mind.

“Oh, yes please, Santa!” She exclaimed, rushing over to help the elves.

Santa led her over to the Reindeer barn after that. She had a ride in the sleigh with Santa and then a reindeer ride with Rudolph, who was the smartest, cutest most wonderful animal she’d ever met. He was even happy when she sung ‘Rudolph the red nosed reindeer’ to him.

Meeting more elves and more reindeers, having more and more fun, more and more time went by.

“Oh dear! Sally, I’m very sorry, but...you have to go home” Santa said sadly, as he truly had enjoyed his time with Sally Fletcher. Sally bowed her head sadly. She loved it there, couldn’t she stay just a little bit longer?

“But remember. Whenever you need me, I’ll be right there” He whispered to her, pointing at the little globe she was clutching. She gave him a big hug, and rubbed the snow globe, taking her journey back home....

Sally woke up in the morning, the sun shining through her window. She smiled as memories floated back from the night before. She heard voices and happiness from downstairs, and raced down to join her family.

“I met Santa last night!!” Sally shouted joyfully to her family, who looked at her, puzzled.

“Sally! Santa does NOT exist!” Carly cried angrily. Pippa glared at her, trying to get her to leave Sally alone.

“Yes he does! I went to the North Pole and MET him!” she yelled.

“Sure you did Sal, SURE you did” she said. Sally could tell she was being sarcastic and humoring her, and ran off back to her room upset. Maybe it was just a dream after all....

She jumped onto her bed, her head on her pillow, crying. But she slowly lifted her head as she caught sight of something.

The small snow globe was still on the shelf, with the miniature North Pole inside. Some people would just never believe....

Archived