Return to the Bay

Guest Skykat

Damn you, Kat, so you’re still keeping me in suspense over who’s died...?!!! Just be warned...you better not kill Kane! :angry:

The tension lay heavy in the air, the atmosphere was so thick Selina felt it would take a pretty big knife to cut through it. It was broken by short bouts of small talk, soothing words of comfort and the dull sound of the rescuers working.

Tasha’s eyes held a haunted, hollow, lost look.

Great descriptions! :D

Definitely my fave part of this chapter was the Irene/Kirsty scene. The dialogue was so realistic and the emotions done so well that I could even see the park (it had a large lake and a solitary weeping willow tree on a kind of hill by the riverbank...). I could really picture Kirsty and Irene in that particular scene. :)

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ILM thanks as ever for your review. I can't take credit for the hollow, haunted description though, that was Jess's suggestion while proof reading. I thought you might like the Kirsty stuff...there's more on her in the next few chapters.

I am not giving anything away about who dies except that I'm dragging it out a little while longer yet and pieces of the puzzle will be revealed piece by piece and even when you think you have it sussed there'll be more twists and turns.

I now have the next four chapters wrote up, I just would like a few more reviews before I post them...I just want to know people are still interested in this.

Wow. Okay.

I didnt realise, that you had a fic Kat!

I'm not goiing to read that chapter you posted yesterday because first I have to tread the first 65 chapters.

I'll read them in parts, so it might take me awhile, but i'll comment after all of them

xx

This was my first fic on this board, I only really joined the boards in order to post it! It's still going though and will be for a while...you might be a long time reading though, I write looong chapters! Since then I've done mainly one shots and my newest fic Summer Bay High (see my sig for details). If it helps theres a brief summary like the blurb you get on the back of a book for Return to the Bay in This thread. Hope that helps and I hope you enjoy reading it. :)

I was hoping more people might have reviewed before I posted the next bit but it was slipping back off pages abnd I don't like bumping my own fic so I thought I'd just post another chapter.

This chapter comes as a huge thank you to those peeople who always take the time to read and review my stories. I really appreciate it.

Thanks once again to Jess who I'm pretty sure liked this chapter. :P

SIXTY SEVEN

“Ric are you okay, maybe you should take a break?” Steven suggested as Ric stepped back from the building to take a breather.

“No way, I’m fine.”

“No arguments, you’re shattered. Take a break.” Steven gave Ric a gentle push and Ric grudgingly stepped backwards. His place was taken instantly by another rescuer and he made his way round the front of the building to where the rest of the rescuers and the crowd were gathered.

“What’s going on?” He came to stand beside Dylan and Lucas who were watching with interest as Alf and the Fire Chief talked to Leah, watched eagerly by Dan, Rachel and a number of rescuers.

“They’re pretty certain they found a person,” Dylan explained.

“Really, who?” Ric felt a wave of hope flood through his body.

“They’re not sure yet, they think most likely Peter though,” Lucas replied.

“And is he…?” Ric could not finish the question. Dylan shrugged, his face white with fear.

“We don’t know,” Lucas supplied.

“What are they arguing about?”

“There’s a small gap and they really need to know what sort of state he’s in if they’re going to try and get down to him. Leah’s offered to go in and I think they’re arguing if she should go or not,” Lucas explained.

“They should let her go, it’s no great loss.” Lucas and Ric looked at Dylan, surprised.

“Leah’s alright you know,” Lucas defended.

“Not to my Mum she isn’t. She’s treated her like dirt from the minute she arrived here,” Dylan retorted hotly. Lucas and Ric exchanged a glance, Ric looked as if his temper was starting to build up.

“Lets go get something to eat while they’re arguing,” Lucas suggested in an attempt to alleviate the atmosphere. Ric nodded and Dylan shrugged so the three made their way over to the cordoned area. Matilda was on her feet the second she saw them approaching and practically threw herself at Dylan.

“I stink you know,” He teased, stroking her hair.

“I don’t care. I just, need you, you know.” Dylan kissed the top of her head, noticing as he did so that Lucas was watching them. As Dylan caught his eye Lucas nodded and Dylan felt as if a major bridge had been breached. He smiled at Lucas and moved to sit beside him on the grass. Lucas and Ric were lying back on the grass, breathing heavily as waves of exhaustion passed through their bodies. Sally and Colleen passed around sandwiches and bottles of water but Ric noticed that Sally was not really concentrating, her attention focused on the conversation going on between Alf, Leah and the others.

“Are you okay Sal?” He asked gently.

“I’m okay,” She smiled, “You?” Ric nodded, returning her smile and taking Sally’s hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. It was so nice to have Sally back, the past month or so, since Flynn’s death had been so hard. Losing Flynn was hard enough but the way Sally reacted, it had been like losing her too.

“Leah will be okay you know, they won’t let her do anything dangerous,” Ric assured her. Sally nodded, smiled again at him and moved on. Dylan had been watching the exchange with interest and looked over at Ric.

“I’m sorry mate, for what I said before,” he apologised.

“It’s okay, you were just defending your Mum, I’d be the same. Leah’s been a bit weird the past few weeks, especially with your mum and I don’t know what’s going on there but she is a good person,” Ric insisted.

“I don’t know her do I? I was just reacting because I’m worrying about Peter. I’ve got pretty close to him recently, with him living with us and everything,” Dylan attempted to explain.

“It’s alright mate, I get it.” Ric nodded at Dylan. Behind him, Matilda began massaging his shoulders and Dylan felt that, the worry with Peter aside, he was fairly contented in Summer Bay. He had a girlfriend, one that, for the first time ever, he was determined to hang onto. He had some good friends in Ric and Lucas and the possibility of a father figure that he both liked and respected. If only Peter came through this, everything would be perfect. Shutting his eyes he called on every inch of willpower to will Peter back to safety, back into their lives.

Lucas watched Matilda massaging Dylan’s shoulders, his eyes shut as her fingers kneaded the knots in his neck, her lips gently kissing the top of his head and Lucas felt…strange. The truth was that he didn’t know what he felt. His anger had subsided, his hurt at their seeming betrayal had gone. He knew now that Matilda had been right, what had been between them was long gone and watching them together, a sight that should have made him seethe with jealousy, he felt nothing. No emotion at all towards Matilda. Sure she was still beautiful and she’d always be his friend, his first love but he didn’t love her like that anymore. Watching her now, with Dylan, his feelings were more like affection towards her yet he still felt something stir as he watched them. It took him a few minutes before it dawned on him. It wasn’t Matilda he wanted, but he did want someone else. He wanted somebody to be sitting with him, holding him, he wanted somebody to draw strength from. He wished desperately that Jack was here. His big brother had always been someone to go to with relationship worries, his advice had always been sound. Sure they had their moments, but Jack was a great brother, they were a great unit. Losing his mother had been the single, hardest experience of his life. Even now, though the permanent hurt had subsided over time, he still felt a longing for her. He still missed her, still felt as if he had missed out on her. His Dad’s relationship with Beth, though it had fazed him at first, was now something he not only accepted but also appreciated. Beth was good for his Dad, for the whole family. It was weird, so many things had happened since they had arrived in the Bay, some good, some bad, but Lucas had settled in here. The Bay was home now, he loved it, he loved the people, he didn’t want things to change. The thought of being here without Jack though made him shudder, he did not want to live here without Jack; he didn’t want to be anywhere without Jack. He put his head in his hands and took several deep breaths to steady his nerves and push back the tears that were threatening at the corner of his eyes. He felt a gentle hand on his shoulder, another person settle themselves beside him and Lucas knew instantly who it was. Her smell was all too familiar to him, her perfume, the strawberry conditioner she used. Lucas leaned closer to her and she snaked her arms around his body, drawing him to her, giving him comfort. Lucas allowed himself to hold her for a minute, he squeezed her tightly, drawing comfort and strength from her. Eventually he drew away. “Thank you,” He whispered to her.

“It’s okay. Whatever’s happened between us Lucas, I’m never going to stop being your friend,” Matilda told him, gently. “I’m so sorry I hurt you.”

“No, you only hurt me because I was clinging on to something that wasn’t there. You were right about you and me, but I don’t ever want to lose you as my friend,” Lucas told her.

“You won’t.” Matilda promised. Lucas nodded, looking not at Matilda but across the cordoned area to where Dylan sat, watching them. The other guy nodded and smiled and Lucas felt a new understanding passing between them. Matilda was his past now, he had to move on but to where? The past few days, the stuff with Cassie…it was madness, a rebellion, he didn’t feel anything for her but friendship. He was using her and she him, but it was a destructive pairing and one Lucas suddenly realised that he did not want to be a part of. He had to tell her, had to end the little game they were currently playing with each other. But first he had to get Jack back. Jack, his elder brother would know what to do. He had to get Jack back. Nothing else mattered.

“Right, she’s ready to roll.”

“Good, you know exactly what you’re getting into, what you have to do?” Mike Johnson asked, checking the safety equipment she was wearing, over in full.

“Yes Sir. Please, I want to do this.” Leah took a deep breath. She was shaking, her stomach felt sick, almost paralysed with fear but she was determined. She had to do this. For Dan who she had hurt, for Peter who she loved. She had to do it.

“Right lets do this then. She’s going down feet first and very slowly, let down by the rope. They’ve done a full assessment and they reckon you’ll fit down there but it’ll be a tight squeeze and we’ll have to be really careful not to dislodge anything. Right?” Mike turned to Leah who nodded forcibly, fighting to keep her nerves under control.

“Right. Lets get moving then.” It was a long slow process to lower Leah down through the gap. It took six strong rescuers, including Dan, Sutty and overseen by Alf, Mike and Sergeant Bellmore. Rachel stood nearby, nervously watching proceedings as inch by inch Leah was lowered through the gap. In places it was exceedingly tight and Leah instinctively breathed in so hard she felt sure her ribs would crack. At times they had to stop when it seemed that the whole fragile structure would collapse around her but little by little daylight disappeared and darkness overwhelmed her. Leah took a few deep breaths to settle herself and finally she felt her foot connect with something solid. Tilting her head downwards so that she could see by the flashlights strategically attached to various points of her body she thought she caught a glimpse of Peter and her heart jumped in her chest. Manoeuvring her body as the rope was released inch by inch she positioned herself so she was lying down next to him, her flashlights highlighting every inch of his handsome features.

“I’m down!” she called up to those anxiously waiting above the rubble and then, with bated breath, she turned to look at Peter.

Having been cooped up in his cell for several hours now Jesse was just about ready to explode when the doors were finally opened and he was let out. Faces stopped and stared as he made his way along the corridors to the main recreation area. People who did not step aside were pushed aside by the sheer force of his anger. Jesse felt as if a boiling hot rage was burning through him, images had been flashing through his head, Kane, Kirsty, Peter…if anything had happened to them….Gus Phillips was going to pay. He had to pay. Reaching the recreation area he looked around him, faces stopped and looked up at him.

“He’s not here McGregor,” Cash Haughton, one of the few of his fellow cellmates Jesse had any time for, came to stand beside him.

“Where is he? Seg?”

“Behind his door. Think they’re keeping you two separate,” Cash explained. Jesse took a deep breath and let it out slowly, his anger so strong that he actually felt calm, such was his determination to get revenge. “Is it true what the screws are saying? Philips blew up a downtown bank?” Jesse nodded slowly.

“News travels fast,” Jesse remarked, dryly.

“You know this place, the screws are all mouth and no brains, anything to stir us up. Besides Lonzo heard it on the radio, they’re reporting five missing.”

“Five?” the same images flashed through Jesse’s head and he shut his eyes but still there was no escape.

“I need to make some calls. You got cards? I’ll sort you out later.”

“Sure.” Cash handed over several phone cards from his pocket and Jesse made his way to the public telephone. Fortunately there was nobody waiting to make a call and the expression on his face must have been enough to keep anybody from approaching as he slotted his first card in and dialled Leah’s home phone number. The phone rang out five times then flipped to answer phone. Next he tried Peter’s mobile, which went straight to answer phone. Desperately racking his brains Jesse tried to remember Leah’s mobile number but he wasn’t sure of the last digit. He punched in what he knew then started with one, no dialling tone. Then two. On four somebody answered but it turned out to be a wrong number, five, no answer. Then six. The phone rang and was answered after seven rings. “Hello?” It was a female voice but unfortunately not Leah’s.

“Sorry I must have got a wrong number,” Jesse replied.

“Hold on a minute, who were you looking for?” The voice was vaguely familiar and only sounded mildly suspicious.

“Leah Baker.”

“This is Leah’s phone, she’s, uh, kind of busy right now.” Jesse got the distinct impression she was hiding something from him.

“Is Dan there?”

“He’s busy too?”

“What about Jamie Sutton, Sutty?”

“He’s busy too. Look who is this?” The sharpness in her voice was almost like the last piece of the puzzle as it clicked in Jesse’s head just who he was talking to.

“It’s Jesse McGregor, hi Sal.”

“Jesse?”

“Yeah.”

“Why did you want Leah?” The surprise in her voice was evident. Jesse decided to cut straight to the point.

“I heard a bomb had gone off at the Bank and I know it has something to do with a police operation that Peter Baker and Kane Philips are involved with.”

“Where did you hear that?” He could almost see the astonished look on her face.

“It doesn’t matter, it’s a long story, please just tell me the truth Sal, are Kane and Peter okay?” Jesse fought hard to keep the desperate urge from his voice.

“The truth is we don’t know Jess. The Bank’s a mess, a bomb did go off, a pretty powerful one and as far as we know both Peter and Kane are inside.”

“****!” Jesse cursed, punching the wall beside the phone. Then instantly felt guilty for losing his temper. “Sorry Sal.”

“It’s okay, I feel like swearing as well. It’s horrible here, Robbie Hunter’s also missing and I don’t know how well you knew him but Jack Holden, Martha’s boyfriend, he’s missing too and a Bank Manager.”

“God Sal! You don’t know anything at all about how they are?” Jesse felt almost as if the bottom of his stomach had fallen out, such was the sick feeling within it.

“Not really, we’re just hoping. A while back they thought they’ve found somebody, most likely Peter but he’s trapped under a hell of a lot of rubble, they’re trying to reach him now. That’s where Leah, Dan and Sutty are, involved in the rescue.”

“Right.” Jesse took a deep breath. Sally had told him all she knew but he needed more and with Peter and Kane missing and Sutty occupied there was only one other person he could possibly find out more from. “Sal, is Kirsty there?”

“Sure.” Sally’s surprise was clearly evident in her voice, “You want to speak to her?”

“Please.”

“Okay, hang on a minute.” Jesse could understand her confusion but he had to speak to Kirsty, he needed to know what she knew. He heard muffled sounds as the receiver was covered and next thing he heard Kirsty’s voice on the phone.

“Hello, Jesse?”

“Kirsty. Do me a favour and walk away from whoever’s nearby you. I need to talk to you in private,” he instructed.

”Sure.” There was a few seconds pause, “Okay, I’m alone.”

“Tell me what you know about this Bank explosion,” Jesse urged.

“I know Gus is behind it. I know he set Kane up, it was meant to be a simple money transfer, not a bomb. I know that Peter was working with us to bring down Gus and I know he had an inside man so putting two and two together I’m guessing you’re the inside man.”

“You were always smart Kirsty. I thought it was a money transfer too, up until fifteen minutes before, I was stuck down the block here and Gus decided to torment me by telling me what was happening. It took a hell of a lot of convincing but I managed to get a message through to Dan and Sutty that it was a bomb. I obviously didn’t get through in time. Sal tells me Kane and Peter are missing also Robbie and Jack?”

“Kane’s dead.” Kirsty’s voice was blunt, cold, lifeless.

“What? But Sal said…”

“I know what Sal said but I know he’s dead. Kane was opening the Safety Deposit box, it was a powerful bomb that went off and Kane was directly by it, I’m not stupid Jesse. They won’t say it, not to me but I know he’s dead. Nobody could have survived that blast.”

“Kirst, I am so sorry…”

“Sorry doesn’t make any difference, I don’t care anymore. Kane’s gone, if it wasn’t for Matthew…” Kirsty let her voice trail off.

“I am sorry though and I’m going to take care of it, I promise.” Jesse had never meant anything more than that promise made to Kirsty. He felt there and then as if he’d rather die than break that promise to her.

“Jesse I really don’t care anymore.” Her voice sounded resigned, broken and Jesse’s heart went out to her.

“Okay will you do me one favour though Kirst, will you pass a message to Sutty, Jamie Sutton, do you know who I mean?”

“Yeah, what’s the message?”

“Just ask him to keep me updated, he knows how.”

“And I guess I shouldn’t ask huh?”

“Probably best,” Jesse agreed.

“Right I’ll pass it on. And Jesse?”

“Yeah?”

“Thanks.” The phone was hung up on him and Jesse replaced the receiver. He leaned back against the wall deep in thought. The boiling rage within him had turned to white hot anger mixed with a fierce determination. He was going to get his revenge on Gus Phillips, he was going to do it for Jack, Peter and Robbie, for Kane who Kirsty was convinced was dead but most of all he was going to do it for Kirsty and for her son who would never see his Dad. And Jesse had never been more determined on anything in his whole life.

“Peter, Pete its Leah, can you hear me?” Peter mumbled something incomprehensible in response, his body shaking and pushing out against his surroundings. “Ssh…” Cradling him as if he were a baby, Leah planted gentle kisses on his face, her hands stroking his hair and she felt a sigh of relief when he stopped struggling. Tenderly she ran her fingers down his face, under his chin and onto his neck. Holding her own breath, she felt for his pulse and felt a sob of relief choke in her throat when she detected a faint response.

“It’s okay Pete,” She whispered. “He’s got a pulse, its pretty faint though!” Leah called up to those above. She could hear their talking, loud though it was it seemed like a whisper to her, her attention was so solely focused on Peter. She felt tears rolling down her cheeks as she moved closer to him in the darkness and held him, being careful not to move him. “It’s okay Pete, we’re going to get you out of here, everything’s going to be okay.” She kissed the top of his head gently, reassuringly and she felt his body shift automatically closer to her. In that second Leah’s earlier declaration to Sally was cemented. She was finally certain which Baker brother she wanted. Weeks of being torn between the two, weeks of torment, of pain and it had taken almost losing him for her to realise it. She loved Peter, really loved him and suddenly it seemed so right that she was here in the darkness, holding him.

“I love you,” she whispered. She felt Peter take an intake of breath, felt his body responding to her touch and she felt relief wash through her. At least part of him was conscious, responding.

“love... you...too...” The words were raspy and whispered and Leah was not sure she had even heard them right, but her heart skipped a beat and she knew she had heard him right. She felt as if a box of fireworks had been open in her stomach. Trapped inside this confined space she wanted to dance for joy. Tenderly, gently, she kissed his forehead and then her lips moved, almost as if on their own until they were touching his lips. Gently she placed a fleeting kiss on his dry lips, then another and as she felt his mouth involuntarily open she kissed him deeper, more passionately and she felt him respond. Not much, in fact the tiniest of response, but he did respond. Leah felt her heart leap and a feeling of warmth washed through her body.

“Oh Pete, nothings going to come between us now, I love you so much,” she whispered.

“Love... you...” came back the response and Leah felt her mouth curve into a smile. She could hardly remember feeling this happy as Peter took a long, deep, raspy breath. Leah opened her mouth to respond, to tell him to save his energy, not speak any more but as she did so he spoke again. Words that made her bubble of happiness disappear in one fell swoop and her heart feel as if it snapped in two. “Love... you... Angel.”

I do! I very muchly do!

He felt a gentle hand on his shoulder, another person settle themselves beside him and Lucas knew instantly who it was. Her smell was all too familiar to him, her perfume, the strawberry conditioner she used.

I adore this interaction between Matilda & Lucas, because it shows just how well they do know one another, and how close their friendship it. The description in its entirety it gentle and sweet, just how it should be!

And then... dare I mention it... the Jesse/Kirsty interaction.

I've never really enjoyed Kirsty as a character. She always appeared so spoiled and selfish on the show. And then I read Kat's story, and I really warmed to her. Maybe Kat brings out the good aspects in her character, or maybe I can fully see Kirsty reacting to this as Kat has written.

“Kane’s dead.” Kirsty’s voice was blunt, cold, lifeless.

She seems to certain. And so dead herself. And that makes me feel the world of sympathy for her.

And Jesse, again, someone I never enjoyed on the show, I love him in this story! The pent up anger and aggression thats there, I cannot wait until its released. Someone is going to get seriously injured.

I especially loved the promise he made, and could imagine a 10 year old Jesse making the same promise and swearing in blood, it's that important to him. Of course, I may be the only one who read into their conversation, but I felt something between he & Kirsty. Who knows what will amount, or where this story will go... but... maybe?

Finally... SQUEE for the last line. Guh! I'm so very pleased. Of course, I'm sure it'll be another 60 chapters before they finally get together, but woo! Its out in the open!

Brilliant chapters Kat! Now come on people, read it!

(And don't worry, I'll shamelessly bump this story if need be Kat!)

Archived