Return to the Bay

Guest Skykat

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leah took a few deep breaths to settle herself and finally she felt her foot connect with something solid. Tilting her head downwards so that she could see by the flashlights strategically attached to various points of her body...

Well pictured. I wouldn’t have a clue about how to describe a rescue operation, but this really explained it to me. Don’t tell me you’ve done pot-holing or something as well as all that sky diving...? :P

“He’s not here McGregor,” Cash Haughton, one of the few of his fellow cellmates Jesse had any time for, came to stand beside him.

I love the way you create these prison scenes and make them all so realistic, with all the angry emotions and tension, even with the very believable nicknames.

“You know this place, the screws are all mouth and no brains, anything to stir us up.”

And the believable conversations! I could imagine them saying that in a real prison.

“Love... you... Angel.”

Fantastic cliffhanger, Kat!

Have to say my fave scene in this was Jesse in the prison, not just because he’s one of my fave characters but because it was really, really well done. :D

I think Jess is in your corner with that one...she loved the Jesse stuff too!

Thanks ILM, actually I have been potholing and I've done some abseiling and rock climbing so I know a little bit about descending on a rope. It's not something I've done a lot of though and I wouldn't have a clue on a rescue mission. I got the idea from a book I read about an air raid warden in World War Two who went into a bomb wreck to comfort a trapped child so I just tried to think it through like that.

Glad you enjoyed it ILM especially the Prison stuff, maybe I watched Bad Girls too often but its so easy to write and the nicknames really allow me to be creative!

Thanks for the reviews. There'll be more up in a day or two.

thanks to everyone who's still reading and reviewing. This chapter is for you and a huge thank you to Jess, my awesome proof reader.

SIXTY EIGHT

“Here you go, I was really torn between coffee or hot chocolate, don’t know if you’re going to be one of those fussy mothers who won’t even drink caffeine in case it harms the baby,” Martha teased, passing the paper cup of chocolate to Angel.

“Actually I’m more of a tea person,” Angel replied, earning a glare from Martha. “It’s living in England, they use any excuse to have a cup of tea and I have to admit there is something quite soothing about it. Not that the hospital stuff tastes anything like the real thing. ” Angel regarded what looked to be a cup of watery brown liquid and placed it on the floor under her chair. “Thanks anyway.”

“No problem. Have to keep your strength up, speaking of which have you eaten?”

“I had a sandwich earlier, not really hungry,” Angel admitted.

“You should eat though, you’re really pale you know.”

“Oh and how am I meant to look?” Angel snapped, “I’m pregnant, suffering morning sickness and the father of my baby might just be dead. Excuse me if I don’t put my make-up on today.” Angel’s voice was laden with sarcasm and she covered her face with one hand, her other arm cradling her stomach. “Sorry,” She whispered.

“Its okay.” Martha put an arm around Angel’s shoulders.

“Its not, I’m being selfish. You’re just as worried as me.”

“I’m not pregnant though Angel, you really need to start looking after yourself,” Martha could not help herself from passing the caution.

“I know, I will eat something, just not yet okay?” Martha nodded. The two sat in silence for a few minutes until Martha could bear it no more and went to the Desk to get more information from Nurse Julie.

“Still nothing,” She confirmed.

“This is driving me crazy!” Angel stood up, exasperated.

“Angel come on, you have to keep calm,” Martha soothed.

“How can I? I shouldn’t be here, I should be that the bomb site. Who the hell does Leah think she is?” Angel was pacing like a mad thing one hand gesturing wildly as the other remained clasped around her still flat stomach. “Why don’t I ever learn from my mistakes? Why do I always get involved?”

“Get involved in what?” Martha asked confused.

“Men! Why do I get involved with men? I only ever end up getting hurt, why do I keep putting myself through it? I’m so stupid!”

“Angel you are not stupid, you can’t help who you fall for,” Martha soothed, “Please sit back down.”

“You don’t understand, I can’t raise another child on my own. I can’t do it!” Large angry sobs erupted from Angel’s throat as the tears finally escaped their barriers and streamed down her face.

“You’re not going to lose Peter,” Martha soothed.

“How do you know? No-one expected Shane to die but he did and I was pregnant then. You have no idea how hard it is to have a child without the father at your side, without him being there, knowing he’s missing out. It’s the same thing all over again!” Angel sobbed.

“Its different this time,” Martha insisted.

“You don’t know that,” Angel protested. Martha tried to take her by the arm but Angel brushed her off. “Please can you just let me be on my own for a minute, please?” she implored and she looked so desperate that Martha nodded mutely and could only watch as Angel took off down the corridor, one hand still holding her stomach.

It took several hours to lift the rubble from the Bank above Leah and Peter and in that time Peter alternated between semi-conscious and conscious. Despite her disappointment and hurt Leah continued to talk to Peter, comforting him, soothing him as layer by layer the rubble was lifted. After what seemed like an eternity and several near misses a gap appeared in the rubble.

“Hey! We’re here!” Leah called. “Pete they’re here, they got through,” she told him but received no response. “Pete? Her head against his chest she listened for breathing. Nothing. She felt for a pulse. Nothing. “You need to hurry! He’s lost consciousness!” She screamed desperately. The Rescuers responded immediately and it although it seemed like an eternity it only actually took several minutes for the last of the rubble to be lifted. The Rescuers and Paramedics responded quickly and Leah ducked further under the rubble to open up the gap so they could get Peter out first.

“We need to be careful, he might have a spinal injury,” One of the Paramedics remarked.

“I don’t think so, he said his legs hurt, that’s good right, if he can feel them?” Leah asked, desperately.

“Yeah that’s good,” the Paramedic replied with a reassuring smile. “What do you think?” he asked of his collegue.

“I think we need to take a chance, he’s unconscious and we can’t reach him, we have to get him out of there like now.”

“Okay go for it.” With the decision made it was only a matter of minutes before Peter’s lifeless, battered body was lifted from beneath the rubble and onto a stretcher.

“Pete its Dan, can you hear me Pete?” Dan was immediately at his brother’s side, bending over him.

“Dan you need to step back and let me take a look at him,” Rachel urged. It seemed to her that Dan was either not hearing her or ignoring her. She looked to Sutty for support and he put a hand on Dan’s shoulder.

“Dan mate, you have to let Rach look him over, come on be sensible hey?” Dan looked mutely at Sutty then at Rachel and stepped back, his face pale.

“Peter, its Rachel, can you hear me?” Rachel put her head to his chest with her hands feeling for a pulse. “Okay begin CPR, I’ll do compressions, one, two, three, four…” Dan felt as if time had stood still. As if he was in a parallel universe, a bystander, not involved. This wasn’t really happening, Rachel wasn’t really trying to bring Peter back, this wasn’t real. But as he watched Dan realised that this was reality; they were on the third set of compressions and still no pulse. Rachel was like a crazy thing, pressing down on Peter’s chest, talking to him, calling things to the paramedics. ‘Come on Pete, come on Pete, you’ve got everything to live for…’ with every ounce of willpower Dan focused, the same thoughts running through his head, over and over as if the more he thought them the more likely that Peter would hear them.

“Yes okay we have a pulse!” Dan let out a breath he had not even realised he was holding. He watched half in amazement half in terror as Rachel poked, prodded, listened and felt Peter’s broken body, all the while calling out random medical phrases to the team of waiting paramedics. None of her words meant anything to Dan who just found himself becoming increasingly frustrated.

“Right we need to get him to hospital now!” Rachel stepped back to let the Paramedics load him into the ambulance.

“Is he going to be okay?” Dan asked, desperately. Rachel turned to face him. “Well?”

“On the plus side we’ve managed to get him breathing again, he has a pulse and we know he only recently lost consciousness…” Rachel began.

“But on the bad side?” Rachel took a deep breath as she looked at Dan. She could almost feel his fear, his desperation.

“His pulse is weak, his breathing faint, his BP incredibly low and there is a lot of signs to suggest internal bleeding. I’m also really worried about that head injury, add to that he’s been trapped for hours, he’s dehydrated, almost probably has some form of fracture to his left ankle…”

“But is he going to make it?”

“We’ve got to him not long after he lost consciousness, we bought him back round easily enough but we have to get him to hospital like now. I’ll travel with him, are you coming?” Dan did not need asking twice, he was already in the ambulance as Rachel gave Sutty a fleeting kiss goodbye. From behind them she heard shouts of terror, female screams and Alf’s voice telling everyone to get back. Desperately she tried to look and see what was happening but the Paramedics were shouting her, Dan was shouting her. Sutty gently pushed her into the ambulance and slammed the doors behind her but he did not wait to see the ambulance leave, instead he raced to the scene of the shouts and the scene of total horror that awaited him.

“Doctor Jackson!” The urgency in Nurse Julie’s voice caused Martha to look up. “That was Doctor Armstrong, she’s on her way in with one of the bomb victims…” Martha was on her feet heading to the Desk but only fractured words from their whispered conversation reached her ears. ‘Internal bleeding,’ ‘head injury’, ‘lost consciousness’…She felt her body give out on her as she slumped back against the wall.

“Martha?” Nurse Julie asked her questioningly.

“Is it…”

“We don’t know who it is yet,” Nurse Julie answered Martha’s unspoken question.

“And are they…”

“Alive as far as we can tell but in a critical condition, you’ll know more as soon as we do.” Nurse Julie placed a comforting arm on Martha’s but she did not feel comforted, she felt sick. How long she waited, in shock, for the trolley to wheel in Martha would never be sure except that it felt like a lifetime. She heard Rachel’s voice long before she saw it, then the trolley was wheeled through the emergency doors, Rachel shouting instructions as the Paramedics pushed the trolley through. Martha could not tell who it was, there were so many bodies in the way but as he was wheeled into Theatre, one body was prevented from going through. Dan Baker stood forlornly at the door. Martha went towards him and touched him gently on the shoulder. Dan spun round to snap but on seeing a familiar face he just crumpled and as Martha put her arms around him, he sobbed on her shoulder. Long, bitter, angry sobs that soaked through her Tee shirt, until finally he was all cried out.

“Sorry,” he whispered.

“Don’t apologise, I’m glad I was here. How is he?”

“Critical.” Dan put his head in his hands and took a few deep breaths to compose himself. “How come you are here?” He asked, sudden realisation dawning on him.

“You heard Lucas at the Bank, didn’t seem right to stay and then I ran into Angel and we decided to come here so we could wait for news without being in anyone’s way,” Martha explained.

“Angel’s here?”

“Yeah, she wanted time on her own, actually a while ago,” Martha remarked.

“Would you go find her? Peter would want her here, I want her here. Leah had no right to send her away. I’d help you but…”

“I understand, you wait here for news. I’ll go find Angel.” Martha squeezed his shoulder and headed off in the direction Angel had headed off in. Having checked the grounds, where she had been certain Angel would go Martha headed back inside. She checked the canteen, the foyer and then headed into the ladies toilets. “Angel?” she called. “Angel!” No answer. Martha was about to turn and leave when she heard a sound from behind one of the closed doors. She wasn’t sure exactly what she had heard but it was enough to arouse her suspicions. Crouching down she looked under the cubicle door and recognised the lower half of Angel’s body in the cubicle. “Angel?” Still no answer. Frantic now with worry Martha hoisted her body up to peer over the top of the cubicle and was horrified by what she saw. Angel was slumped, unconscious against the toilet seat. With all the skill of a tomboy who had grown up on a farm Martha deftly climbed the cubicle wall and let herself down beside the unconscious woman. “Angel?” Angel merely murmured in response but one look at her face told a million stories. She was sweating, red faced and there was vomit everywhere. Angel was in a bad way. Unlocking the cubicle door Martha raced into the hallway. “Help! Help, I need some help!” she yelled down the corridors and two nurses and a Doctor racing towards her immediately followed her calls. Martha headed back into the toilet and crouched down beside her new friend. “Come on Angel, you gotta hold on, bear with me okay?” Martha whispered, unable to stop the tears that streamed down her face. Surely with everything that had gone on today it was about time someone gave them a break? Martha stood aside in the small cubicle as the male Doctor picked up Angel as if she was a doll and carried her off out of the toilets. Martha raced behind them and just hoped to God that someone somewhere was taking notice.

“Actually I’m more of a tea person,” Angel replied, earning a glare from Martha. “It’s living in England, they use any excuse to have a cup of tea

Oh, I’m on Angel’s side, I LOVE tea! :P

“Oh and how am I meant to look?” Angel snapped, “I’m pregnant, suffering morning sickness and the father of my baby might just be dead. Excuse me if I don’t put my make-up on today.” Angel’s voice was laden with sarcasm

That’s really good. Very realistic reaction.

Despite her disappointment and hurt Leah continued to talk to Peter, comforting him, soothing him as layer by layer the rubble was lifted. After what seemed like an eternity and several near misses a gap appeared in the rubble.

I think I’d like to have known a little more about what Leah was actually thinking and how she was feeling during this rescue operation. It was hard to connect with her (though you did a great job with her emotions in the previous chapter). The rescue description itself was fine, it was just Leah seemed kind of detached. You pick up on certain character’s emotions (Jesse’s, Kirsty’s, Irene’s, Sutty’s etc) very, very well and that makes it easier to relate to them.

Angel was slumped, unconscious against the toilet seat..

She was sweating, red faced and there was vomit everywhere. Angel was in a bad way. Unlocking the cubicle door Martha raced into the hallway.

But, as far as unexpected cliffhangers go, Kat, you’re unbeatable! :D

• 3 weeks later...

I actually forgot this ages ago but forgot about posting it. I thought i'd lost it when my computer crashed but fortunately Jess had it saved so a big thanks to her and also for proof reading it...though it seems like ages ago now!

SIXTY NINE

“Martha, what’s going on!” Dan cried as the Doctors carrying a lifeless Angel raced past him. Martha managed to catch her breath before sinking down into the hard hospital-waiting seat.

“I don’t know. I found her like that, in the toilets.”

“Oh God! Could this day get any worse! Is she okay? The baby?”

“I don’t know, they just raced her in there. I don’t know!” Martha could not prevent the tears that freely fell from her eyes and Dan took a seat beside her, putting a reassuring arm around her shoulder and hugging her to him.

“Come on, Angel will be okay,” he soothed.

“It’s not just Angel though…its everything. This bomb, Jack, I can’t believe there’s a possibility I might lose him and he hates me. He might die hating me,” Martha explained.

“I know how you feel. My last words to Pete were in anger, I’d just found out about him and Leah, I was furious. I lashed out and now I might not get the chance to put it right.”

“Pete and Leah?”

“Yeah, they’ve had something going on, well more an attraction.”

“What about Angel?”

“As far as Peter’s concerned there’s nothing between him and Leah now, he loves Angel.”

“And you and Leah?” Martha asked. Dan shrugged.

“It’s all such a mess. I don’t know what to think anymore,” Dan admitted. Martha squeezed his hand and he pulled her closer to him. Noises in the corridor caused Dan to look up and he saw Selina and Dylan walking through the doors.

“Dylan…” Dan was instantly on his feet.

“You don’t mind me coming down do you Dan, I wanted to know, you know, about Peter,” Dylan explained sheepishly.

“That’s okay, I understand. You and Pete got close recently, it’s okay,” Dan reassured him.

“Thanks. How is he?” Dylan asked.

“We don’t know yet Son, they took him straight through.” Dan glanced at Martha, “Dylan there’s something you need to know.” Dylan looked up at him, his eyes wide and in fear as Dan led him aside from Martha and Selina.

“What’s that all about?” Selina asked, heaving her body onto a seat.

“Angel, she’s here. She collapsed about fifteen minutes ago. We’re just waiting to see how she is,” Martha explained.

“Oh my god!” Selina clasped a hand to her mouth. Down the corridor Dylan erupted violently on being given the news. Selina stood up to got to him but Martha put a hand on her.

“It’s okay, let Dan deal with it,” Martha suggested. “Is there any news from the bomb site?”

“Not that I know of, we left pretty much straight after the ambulance. There was a bit of commotion going on, not sure what it was all about though,” Selina explained.

“Maybe they found somebody else?” Martha suggested, hopefully.

“Maybe.” Selina looked up as a Doctor came from the Emergency area.

“Doctor?”

“You’re the girl that found Angel Parrish?” he asked of Martha, she nodded. “And you are?”

“A friend,” Selina replied.

“Right, have you contacted any of Angel’s family?”

“Her son is running towards you right now,” Selina replied.

“What is it? Is it Pete?” Dan asked, the Doctor ignored him turning to Dylan.

“Mr Parrish?”

“Yes Sir, how’s my mother?”

“Your mother is stable. The combination of stress, exhaustion, not eating and severe morning sickness has taken their toll on her but we’ve managed to stabilise her. From now on though she has to take things easy, she needs lots of rest, three good meals a day and she is not to be stressed out,” The Doctor imparted.

“How’s the baby?” Martha asked.

“Baby?” Dylan’s mouth dropped open in surprise, Mum’s pregnant?”

“I was just about to tell you mate,” Dan began looking apologetically at the others.

“We’re not sure about the baby yet, we’ll need to do an ultrasound. I thought perhaps that somebody should be with her when she goes for it. Is the baby’s father around?” he addressed his question to Dan who put an arm on Dylan’s shoulder before replying.

“The father is my brother and he’s in surgery, he was involved in the Bank bombing this afternoon,” Dan replied.

“Right. Well perhaps you might like to?” The Doctor suggested.

“Thanks but I think it should be Dylan and maybe Selina?” Dan had noted her lack of surprise at the baby news so drew the conclusion that Angel had already confided in her and if anybody knew how Angel would be feeling right now it was surely Selina.

“Of course. Come on Dyl.” She turned to Martha, “You’ll keep us updated on Peter won’t you?”

“Of course,” Martha replied. Selina smiled warmly at them and followed Dylan, who had already raced off down the corridor.

“Mum!” Dylan raced into her room and straight into her arms. Selina paused in the doorway to look at her friend. Angel was ghostly white but there was enormous black rings under her eyes.

“Hey baby.” Angel accepted the hug from her son, her eyes watering with tears. “hi Sel.”

“Doctor says you’ve not been looking after yourself very well,” Selina chided.

“It was all this, stress you know,” Angel replied. “How’s Peter?”

“Still in surgery,” Selina replied.

“In surgery? You mean he’s here? They got him out?” Angel heaved herself up in the bed.

“Sorry, I assumed you knew…yeah they got him out. They’re working on him now, Martha said she’d let us know if they heard anything,” Selina explained. Angel nodded but the tears were now in freefall down her cheeks and Angel did little to stop them.

“Did they tell you how I am?”

“You’re okay, you need to get lots of rest though, no stress. You’ve not been taking care of yourself properly,” Selina chided.

“Well she will be from now on, I’ll make sure of it,” Dylan vowed. Angel looked up at her son with pride and managed to smile at him. He squeezed her hand then she turned back to Selina.

“What about…?” she shot a quick glance at Dylan.

“Its okay Mum, I know, the Doctor told me,” Dylan replied.

“Oh Dylan, I’m so sorry I didn’t tell you myself I was just so messed up about everything. I’m so sorry, are you ashamed of me?”

“Why would I ever be ashamed of you?” Dylan asked, astonished.

“Hardly Mum of the year stuff is it, getting pregnant without a stable relationship,” Angel replied, dryly, sadly.

“You’re my Mum of the year. I could never be ashamed of you and anyway I’m made up, you know I think Peter’s great. Maybe now you two will get your acts together and make a go of things,” Dylan told her. Angel smiled at her son, her heart swelling with pride for him.

“If he comes through this,” she replied, the tears flowing again.

“He will come through this. He won’t dare leave you now, he’d have me to answer to.” Angel managed a smile.

“Ready for your ultrasound Mrs Parrish?” neither of them had noticed the Nurse enter the room.

“Ultrasound?”

“Just to check things are okay with the baby, it’s routine after a scare Mrs Parrish, nothing to worry about,” the Nurse assured her.

“She’s right, they do it all the time, I think I must have had about a million during this pregnancy!” Selina teased, stroking her bulging stomach. Angel managed a smile but she was terrified and relieved when Dylan took her hand. With bated breath, she turned back to the Nurse and waited to find out if her baby had survived.

“Thanks man, I’ll square you up later.” Jesse handed the remaining cards back to Cash.

“No worries and you know you wouldn’t have to square up with me if you’d just take care of the other business,” Cash replied. Jesse looked at cash thoughtfully. It was common knowledge that the two biggest dealers inside the prison were Gus Phillips and Cash Haughton, Cash had been asking Jesse for weeks to take care of Gus so he could be the only dealer inside and up until now Jesse had refused. Jesse looked at him thoughtfully.

“Lets say I was to take care of him, are you willing to help?”

“Anything you want, just say.”

“Well I need to get to him. The Guards have got him on permanent watch, I need to be able to get at him, are you willing to help me get at him?”

“Sure, anything. I’ll also give you an alibi,” Cash offered.

“That won’t be necessary.”

“But everyone will know it was you, you’ll have to do more time,” Cash protested.

“I don’t care.” Cash shrugged.

“Your call then. Just let me know what you decide to do. Take it the screws information was right?”

“Yeah it was right. I just spoke to Gus Philips daughter-in-law, our precious Gus just blew up his own son,” Jesse spat.

“A friend of yours?”

“You could say that,” Jesse replied. Cash looked at his fellow inmate. McGregor was known for his hot temper and loose fists but Cash could never recall ever seeing him so calm, so collected yet so furious and Cash knew for certain that Gus Philips was no longer going to be a threat. “For now I want you to go and deliver Philips a message or get somebody to do it. If he’s behind his door you don’t have to worry about reprisals. There’s no way I’ll be able to get near enough.”

“Right, what’s the message?”

“I want you to tell him that although the bomb went off I’ve just spoken to Kane and the only person he’s managed to blow up was the cop who opened the box. Then say that the screws can’t protect him forever, tick, tock.”

“Tick, tock?” Cash looked at Jesse strangely.

“Yeah tick, tock. Don’t worry, Gus’ll appreciate what it means. You got the message?”

“Yep. The bomb went off but you’ve spoken to Kane Philips, he’s alive and the only person killed in the blast was the cop who opened the box. The screws can’t protect him forever, tic, tock.”

“Right and I can trust you to deliver it and keep you gob shut about what I told you about his son?”

“Sorted man, I’m 100% behind you on this,” Cash replied. As long as you don’t have to get your hands dirty, Jesse thought but he needed Cash’s help, he needed a getter, somebody who could get hold of things, somebody who could make things happen. He needed a middleman and Cash had good reason to want Phillips out of the picture. Jesse was certain he could trust him, he only wished he were able to deliver the message in person but there would be time enough for that, he would get to see the expression on Gus’s face when the life left his body. That was good enough for Jesse. All he had to figure out now was how he was going to do it.

The screams of pain could be heard a long time before the trolley came wheeling through the double doors at high speed. High, agonising, heart wrenching screams and sobs muffled only by the sounds of the Paramedics feeding more oxygen to the patient. The very distinctly female patient. The Paramedics were leaning over the patient but there was no disguising the blood everywhere, the mangled, mess that lay on the trolley. Dan fought back the urge to wretch. A white faced and crying Sally followed the trolley in and as it was raced through to the Emergency Room Martha looked to Sally for answers.

“After you went….” Martha put a reassuring arm around Sally’s shoulders. “After they got Peter out…it fell in…all the rubble they’d moved…it all collapsed…it trapped her legs…she’s in agony…the damage…” Sally’s explanation was marred with her sobs but Dan didn’t need to hear any more. He had heard her screams, he had seen the tangled mess that had been Leah’s legs. He shut his eyes but still he could hear her screams, see the blood. He moved away from Sally and Martha. All the hurt she had caused him but he would never have wished that on her, he wouldn’t have wished that on anybody. And he had done it to her. He had insisted she went down there. She had volunteered so bravely but she had been terrified, he had seen it in her eyes. Not that he’d cared, he had only been thinking of Peter, of himself. He had done that to her, he did not need a Doctor to tell him that she was now in theatre fighting a battle to save her legs, he had seen it with his own eyes. The damage was so severe, so terrible and it was all his fault. He only just reached the men’s disabled toilet in time before he vomited.

Archived