Return to the Bay

Guest Skykat

As promised.. lots of Jesse. Thanks for the reviews. :)

SEVENTY ONE

“Is it true Phillips tried to kill his own son?”

“So I heard,” Jesse replied, nonchalantly leaning back against the wall. The prisoner walked away muttering to himself and Jesse managed a small smile. It was the third enquiry he’d had in as many hours. He had to hand it to Cash, the guy certainly knew how to spread a rumour. Smiling to himself Jesse headed back to his cell and pushed the door over before settling onto his cold, hard, bed. It only took two seconds for Jesse’s eyes to fall on the guy standing behind the door and Jesse was on his feet in a flash. Crossing the room he took the guy by the throat, pressed him against the wall.

“What the F&%K are you doing in here?”

“I need to talk to you, about Phillips.”

“I should F^*King wring your scrawny little neck! You killed Blubber and you expect me to spend more than two minutes in your company!” Jesse pressed tighter on Atwood’s throat, watching as the colour drained from his face, as his eyes looked on in horror.

“I… can…. help…. you….get…Phillips!” Atwood managed, but Jesse ignored him, continuing to squeeze. At the last possible second he withdrew his hand and Atwood sank to the floor, gasping for breath.

“Why the hell should I listen to anything you have to say?” Jesse demanded furiously, glaring at the pathetic, weak guy lying on the floor in front of him, resisting the urge to kick him to within an inch of his life.

“Because I want out! You’re right, I did kill Blubber but it was an accident! It was meant to be you!”

“Oh and that makes me feel so much better,” Jesse glared, kicking Atwood in the stomach.

“No I never wanted to kill anyone, Philips made me,” Atwood sobbed.

“You still did it. What did you use? The screws said it was a heavy object when they body searched me for it!” Jesse fumed imparting another kick, and was rewarded by seeing Atwood recoil in pain, clutching his stomach.

“It was a brick, from the yard,” Atwood sobbed. Jesse fought the urge to vomit, flashes of his cellmate’s last moments flooded across his eyes and Jesse almost lost it altogether, landing kick after kick on the guy who had admitted to killing his harmless cell mate. But somewhere in the dark midst of his fury a thought crossed his mind causing Jesse stepped back and take a deep breath. Atwood was sobbing now, bleeding and doubled over in pain.

“Where’s the brick now?” Jesse asked, leaning down to until he was close to Atwood’s level.

“Back in the yard. Jefferson buried it, behind the shed, under the rose bush,” Atwood admitted through jerky sobs.

“Get up!” Jesse instructed and Atwood struggled to his feet. “Can you walk?” Atwood nodded, gingerly.

“Well get yourself cleaned up and get the hell out of here!”

“What about Philips?”

“What about him?”

“He’s going to kill me for screwing up, by not killing you. You’ve got to take him out,” Atwood begged.

“So I put my neck on the line for you after you admit to killing Blubber?”

“Please…”

“Look don’t worry about Philips. Just get the f&^* out of here and stay the hell out of my way!” Atwood did as he was told, struggling to stand up straight he left the cell and Jesse looked at the blood-strewn floor where Atwood had lay. He had come so close to losing it, to killing him, and Jesse felt sick. Sick with disgust at himself. What the hell had he become?

"Sorry Chloe," he whispered as he managed to reach the toilet in time to vomit.

“Well?” Sutty handed the phone back to Rachel, desperately trying to avoid looking at her face and the mixture of hurt and anger he knew was evident there.

“Look Rach," He began.

“Don’t look Rach anything, I know what I just heard and I want some answers Jamie.” With her hands on her hips and her eyes blazing furiously Sutty thought Rachel had never looked sexier, but a sixth sense told him it probably wasn’t the right time to say so.

“How much did you hear?” He asked, resigned to his fate.

“Everything and I want to know the truth, just what have you got yourself involved in Jay?”

“K you best sit down,” Sutty urged, taking a seat on the grass. Reluctantly and putting distance between them, Rachel sat. “I met Jesse McGregor in Prison,” he began.

“I gathered that much.”

“Look Rach are you going to let me explain or keep interrupting me?” Sutty demanded.

“Okay I’m sorry, I’ll listen,” Rachel promised and listen she did as Sutty recounted the whole tale and his involvement to her, her eyes growing in horror as each step of his deception was revealed.

“You planned to attack Kirsty while I was there?” Sutty looked at Rachel’s white, bewildered face.

“Well that wasn’t the first thing I thought you’d react to but yeah. I stopped because of you Rach, seeing you there,” Sutty insisted.

“And that’s meant to make me feel better? You didn’t hurt Kirsty because I turned up? And what about the rest of it, tormenting that poor couple, how could you?” Rachel stood up, furiously.

“Please Rach, I’ve been honest with you, you have to hear me out, I didn’t have a choice, Philips would have killed me, you’ve got no idea what its like in there, what power he has. I’m still not safe, even now, I grassed him up and he’ll be after me.”

”So you asked Jesse McGregor to take him out? To kill someone?”

“Jesse was going to do it anyway. He’s already promised Kirsty Sutherland he would,” Sutty attempted to justify himself.

“So that makes it right? I can’t believe I ever trusted you! I gave you another chance but you haven’t changed at all have you?”

”I have Rach, I did the right thing, I went to Peter, I was willing to take what was coming to me until this. Surely seeing what happened here today tells you how dangerous Philips is, how twisted?”

“It doesn’t change what you’ve done though, lying to me. I can’t deal with this right now, I just can’t. Go back to the rescue, leave me alone.”

“Rach…”

“Just go Jamie, I can’t vear to even look at you right now.” For a second Sutty observed her forlorn figure, alone on the grass and then reluctantly stood up and headed to rejoin the rescue.

“Well are you trying to scare me half to death then?” Peter turned on hearing Angel’s voice.

“Angel! It’s so good to see you!”

“It’s good to see you too,” Angel whispered as Dylan wheeled her as close as possible to the bed.

“I’ll give you guys some time alone,” He offered instantly.

“Thanks mate.” Peter reached up to shake the younger boy’s hand. “Thanks for looking after her son.”

”I’ll always look after her. You just make sure you get well so you can take a turn hey?” Dylan shook the offered hand.

“You got it, I’m never leaving her again.” Peter turned to bestow a smile on Angel who could not help the tears from falling. Dylan quietly slipped out of the room as Peter took Angel’s hand and she moved to rest her head on the bed next to him.

“I thought I’d lost you.” She sobbed.

“Never. I love you so much, all the stupid rows we’ve had recently, it was only ever you Angel. Since I first met you, maybe I didn’t realise straight away, but I loved you then. I just want us to be a family. You, me, Dylan, Shane and our little one.” Peter smiled down at Angel.

“That’s all I want too,” Angel admitted, leaning over to kiss him and Peter returned her kiss passionately, his tongue exploring her mouth as he savored the taste of her mouth, breathing in the scent of her hair. He loved everything about her. Reluctantly she pulled away.

“I could do that forever,” He told her.

“Well you can can’t you?” She teased, her fingers tracing the contours of his face. “I love you.”

”I love you too.” Holding her hand as her fingers gently stroked his face he looked at her, drinking in every beautiful inch of her. “Hey, why are you wearing that?” He asked as he motioned to the hospital gown.

“Lets just say our baby decided to remind their frantic mother that she needed to slow things down a bit,” Angel explained vaguely. “We don’t need to talk about what happened, as long as you’re okay.”

“I am, thanks to you.”

“Thanks to me?” Angel asked curiously.

“When I was trapped down there, you were talking to me, holding my hand, and you kissed me.” Peter shut his eyes, reliving the memory. Angel felt a sinking feeling in her stomach but instantly dismissed it as part of the fear she felt when she worried he was lost to her forever.

“Sounds like you were having a very nice dream while you were trapped down there,” she teased.

“I sure was,” Peter grinned, yawning loudly.

“I’m going to let you get some rest now.” Angel squeezed his hand.

“Do you have to go?”

“Afraid so, Doc said only a few minutes and you need to rest. I’m not going far and I’ll be back soon,” She whispered.

“Promise?”

“Promise.” Angel kissed his forehead tenderly but Peter was already asleep. Struggling to manouver the wheelchair, Angel managed to wheel herself out of the room to where a waiting Dylan came to help her, wheeling her over to where Dan sat.

“How is he?” Dan asked.

“Sleeping.” Angel smiled.

“Take it you guys worked things out then?”

“We sure did. He reckons I saved him. He had some dream of someone kissing him and talking to him and saying they loved him when he was trapped and he thought it me.” Angel, wrapped on her pretty pink cloud smiled in the direction of her new friends Martha and Dan but in doing so saw them exchange a look. “What? What aren’t you telling me?” She asked immediately.

“Angel someone was down there with Peter while he was being rescued,” Martha began.

“What? Who? What do you mean?” Angel’s confusion was evident.

“They needed someone to go down to comfort him, stop him thrashing about so Leah went down,” Martha explained.

“You’re telling me that Leah was kissing him and saying she loved him while he was trapped down there?” Realisation bought horror from Angel and she reacted with fury. “I’ll kill her!”

“I think I beat you to it…” Dan began, despondently.

“What?” Angel looked at him in confusion.

“There’s something else you need to know Angel,” Martha began, as a horror struck Angel was delivered the news of Leah's misfortune.

“Cash, a word.”

“You got it.” Cash moved away from his gang to talk to Jesse. “Have you heard?”

“Heard what?”

“They’re letting Philips out from behind his door tomorrow but he’ll be under watch.”

“Right well we have work to do then. I need you to start me a fight over on the West corner, theres something I need to pick up from behind the shed and I need as long as you can give me.”

“You got it. When?”

“Now.”

“On to it.” Jesse watched Cash head away and then headed in the direction of the shed. He watched Cash whisper something to a guy and next thing the guy was racing towards another prisoner and a fight had broken out. Jesse watched momentarily as all the cons gathered round like vultures to watch and the screws waded in to try and break it up. A glance around him confirmed the area around the shed was deserted so Jesse raced to the rosebush and began to dig. It took only seconds to unearth the brick, exactly where Atwood had said it would be. Taking a carrier bag from his pocket he used it to pick up the brick and wrap it in, being careful not to let his fingers touch it. Then with a quick glance to confirm everyone was still occupied by the fight Jesse took the bag with the brick in it, tied it in a knot and bumped it in a box behind the bins. Then dusting his hands down he headed back in Cash’s direction. Just as the fight was successfully broken up and the two ringleaders carried away by the screws.

“You get it?”

“Yeah now I need it brought in. Can you arrange for it to be delivered to my cell? We need someone who’ll keep their gob shut.”

“Sure. What and where?”

“A carrier bag, it contains something I need in a cardboard box behind the bins. I need the bag and the contents of the bag are not to be touched by anyone, you got it?”

“I got it. What’s this all about McGregor?”

“Best you don’t know. The less you know, the less you can tell, just trust me and you’ll see tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow?”

“When Philips gets his justice.”

“But he’ll be under guard.”

“That’s why you’re going to help me get to him.”

“How?”

“You’ll see. You ain’t backing down on me Cash, you’re already in too deep but I promise your involvement will never come out. You’ve got my word. Are you in?”

“Sure am. I said I’ve got yer back and I meant it. Tomorrow it is.”

“Tomorrow. See that the bag is delivered by my cell by work tomorrow morning at the latest.”

“You got it.”

“Sssh Mattie it’s okay!” Beth tried desperately to soothe her daughter but her own tears ran just as deep that it rendered it amost a worthless task.

“Its not okay, poor Leah. That could have been me, if you hadn’t stopped me!” Matilda sobbed, pulling her mother in tighter.

“I couldn’t let you go Mattie, not with Robbie missing. I can’t have another child in that sort of situation,” Beth attempted to explain.

“You don’t need to say anything Mum, you saved me. Poor Leah!” Matilda broke into a fresh bout of sobs.

“I know sweetheart, I know!” Beth comforted. “Robbie’s going to be okay too, I can feel it.”

“How can you feel it? How can you be so sure?” Matilda answered skeptically.

“I’m his Mum, I just know,” Beth reassured her confidently, kissing her daughter’s head gently, holding her tightly. “I’m sorry Matilda.”

“What for?”

”For the way I reacted about you and Dylan. I saw you two together today, I’ve seen how he’s been with you. Perhaps I misjudged him,” Beth admitted.

“You were only looking out for me Mum,” Matilda soothed.

“I know but I got him wrong and I’m sorry. If you want to be with Dylan sweetheart, you have my blessing.”

”Oh thanks Mum!” Matilda hugged her mother tighter.

Suddenly from the bomb site came sounds of shouting and Beth and Matilda, along with others raced to the front of the barriers.

“Whats going on?” Beth clutched Matilda’s hand tightly.

“Think they’ve broken through the fires!” Someone called and a loud cheer came up from the crowd. It was only ten minutes but it seemed like a decade to those stood at the barrier waiting for news but suddenly those working at bomb site erupted and calls for paramedics could be heard.

“They’ve found someone else!” With baited breath the crowd waited and one by one the rescuers returned from the site towards the barrier.

“Kim what’s going on?” Beth demanded of the first face she reconised. “Have you got someone else?” Out of breath Kim could only nod.

“Are they alive?”

“We think so, but we’re not entirely sure.”

“Who is it?” Beth demanded, unable to take the waiting any longer.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“Is it true Phillips tried to kill his own son?”

“So I heard,” Jesse replied, nonchalantly leaning back against the wall. The prisoner walked away muttering to himself and Jesse managed a small smile. It was the third enquiry he’d had in as many hours. He had to hand it to Cash, the guy certainly knew how to spread a rumour.

“Why the hell should I listen to anything you have to say?” Jesse demanded furiously, glaring at the pathetic, weak guy lying on the floor in front of him, resisting the urge to kick him to within an inch of his life.

“Because I want out! You’re right, I did kill Blubber but it was an accident! It was meant to be you!”

“Oh and that makes me feel so much better,” Jesse glared

You just gotta love Jesse! :wub: Great scenes, Kat, very dramatic and definitely the way I reckon Jesse would have handled the situation. I liked the ironic humour too.

Jesse looked at the blood-strewn floor where Atwood had lay. He had come so close to losing it, to killing him, and Jesse felt sick. Sick with disgust at himself. What the hell had he become?

"Sorry Chloe," he whispered as he managed to reach the toilet in time to vomit.

Nice touch of realism.

With her hands on her hips and her eyes blazing furiously Sutty thought Rachel had never looked sexier, but a sixth sense told him it probably wasn’t the right time to say so.

Typical man! :P

“Just go Jamie, I can’t vear to even look at you right now.” For a second Sutty observed her forlorn figure, alone on the grass and then reluctantly stood up and headed to rejoin the rescue.

Poor Sutty tho!

“There’s something else you need to know Angel,” Martha began, as a horror struck Angel was delivered the news of Leah's misfortune.

Did Leah die down there...? It’s so long between updates that I honestly couldn’t remember and I was just thinking “OMG, there’s going to be trouble” when Angel found out about Leah kissing Peter.

He watched Cash whisper something to a guy and next thing the guy was racing towards another prisoner and a fight had broken out.

The intro dialogue to this scene was excellent, but I feel the above sentence kind of spoilt the drama. This is a pivotal part of the story so we need to know a little more about this random guy! eg He watched Cash whisper to one of his associates, a round-faced, well-built man, an ex-boxer who’d enjoyed his job so much he’d been prepared to kill in illegal bare knuckle fights when his career nosedived. Vince nodded almost imperceptibly before he abruptly spun another con round by the shoulder and crashed his fist into his face.

Jesse watched momentarily as all the cons gathered round like vultures to watch and the screws waded in to try and break it up.

You can make an action scene more effective with shorter sentences eg Jesse watched momentarily. Cons gathered round like vultures. Screws waded in, trying to try to break it up.

A glance around him confirmed the area around the shed was deserted so Jesse raced to the rosebush and began to dig. It took only seconds to unearth the brick, exactly where Atwood had said it would be.

Taking a carrier bag from his pocket he used it to pick up the brick and wrap it in, being careful not to let his fingers touch it. Then with a quick glance to confirm everyone was still occupied by the fight Jesse took the bag with the brick in it, tied it in a knot and bumped it in a box behind the bins. Then dusting his hands down he headed back in Cash’s direction.

I really liked this attention to detail :)

“Kim what’s going on?” Beth demanded of the first face she reconised. “Have you got someone else?” Out of breath Kim could only nod.

“Are they alive?”

“We think so, but we’re not entirely sure.”

“Who is it?” Beth demanded, unable to take the waiting any longer.

Fantastic cliffhanger! Great chapter all round, Kat, particularly the Jesse scenes. :D

Thanks for the 2 brilliantly wonderful updates, Kat. I'm sorry that I'm so bad at checking this thread for updates. I wonder whom they have found.

I am definitely still reading this story, and I am still really loving it!

OMG What can I say, I have just read the whole Fic in just over 2hrs :D

I loved it all, every bit.

Pete and Angel = :wub:

Update soon, cam't believe I didnt read this sooner.

Such an amazing Writer Kat :D

btw I hate Leah in this fic :P

Oh thanks for reading Lil, I'm glad you liked it. :)

I'm working on the next chapter too, so hopefully it won't be too long.

I'm in love with Peter/Angel too, they just seem so right together and they look very cute. :)

• 1 month later...

This was a really fantastic fanfic, Kat! I loved it! The best one I have ever read. I started reading this on Friday and today I got here!(I didn't read it all properly, but I will go back and read it all again) I love how you mix new and old characters. I especially like that you've brougth Kane and Kirsty back, they were my fav couple and Kirsty my fav character. I like to see Jesse in prison and Peter/Angel is so sweeet. I aslo liked the freindship between Kirsty and Rachel.

This storylines are romantic and exiting in the right places. You're such a good writer. The characters is so realistic. You can't stop writing, this is just amazing. Please keep on writing, I'm looking forward to hear about the person they found.

(Sorry if my English isn't good)

• 1 month later...

Awww feel the love :)

Thanks guys, I'm very down about my writing at the moment, I'm writing a bit but I'm not thinking anything is very good especially when I see other fics getting loads of comments when I only get a few. Guess its my fault for the AU pairings and huge gaps between updates. Still it gets depressing so I really want to thank those of you who do read and review. Your comments mean so much.

A MASSIVE thank you to Jess for her input, without her there wouldn't be a chapter.

And yes... I am still dragging it out. :P

Seventy Two

“Come on stay with us..” Rachel looked down at the pale, unconscious figure, hardly recognisable amongst the soot and dust. Burns partially covered his face as he drifted in and out of consciousness. Rachel sought desperately to keep him with her, but it was hard with her mind so far elsewhere. She could still see Sutty’s distraught face as she had insisted accompanying the latest victim to hospital. She hated how he always saw right through her, how he knew full well that wanting to see Leah was only an excuse. Not that she didn’t want to see Leah, she was desperate to find out how her friend was doing, but the real attraction in leaving the bomb site had been in getting away from Sutty. His dark eyes had followed her around, beseeching her for forgiveness and she so desperately wanted to just collapse in his arms. He’d lied though, he’d nearly hurt Kirsty, he was connected to the whole mess that had happened today. Stuff like that wasn’t so easy to forgive. The ambulance pulled up to a stop outside the hospital and the paramedics burst the door open and wheeled the patient urgently through to the Emergency Room. Out of the corner of her eye she could see patient’s family jumping out of haphazardly parked cars and heading towards her but Rachel had nothing to tell them, no hope to give them. “… in and out of consciousness, abrasion to back of head and on left side of body, burns and smoke inhalation..” Rachel caught the end of the Paramedic’s spiel and tried desperately to put her head back into gear.

“Rach.” She looked up to see the elderly Doctor Farnham looking at her as if she were a patient, “you look exhausted. Leave him to us hey and go get a coffee?” he suggested.

“I can’t I.. his family..” Rachel bit her lip to stop the tears from coming.

“Go and get a coffee Doctor Armstrong, it’s been a huge day for you.” His tone was insistent and Rachel felt too tired to even argue any more.

“I’m worried about my friend actually, Leah Baker?” Doctor Farnham’s eyes clouded over and Rachel felt her stomach lurch uncomfortably.

“She’s still in Surgery, we haven’t had any news yet. I’m sure they’ll let you know when they know anything.” He patted her shoulder sympathetically and then with a brief smile, left her and headed into the Emergency Room. Feeling anything but reassured Rachel felt the tears attack again and this time she was unable to stop them as they trickled gently down her cheeks.

Jesse was sat in his cell, back against the wall, deep in thought. The cell had been ominously quiet since Blubber had died and the screws didn’t seem to be in a hurry to give him a new cellmate. And that suited Jesse just fine, it meant he could think, have some peace without having to consider somebody else or be on his guard. Still it was the isolation that got to you in here. The monotony, the boredom you could cope with, you got used to that. The routine, the discipline, the twisted rules, it was easy enough if you kept your head and had enough about you to stay out of trouble. What killed you in here was the alienation. Being stuck on your own with too much time to think, too much time to dwell on things and that was what drove you crazy. Lost in his own thoughts Jesse almost missed the cell door opening. He shot to his feet as The Governor entered the room.

“Apparently you left some laundry down the laundry room McGregor.” It was about the last thing Jesse was expecting and he could not help eye the basket in the Governor’s hand with increasing suspicion. Since when did a Screw return your laundry? Especially when Jesse knew full well he hadn’t left any laundry down there. “Oh right.” He sat back on his bed, kept his expression neutral as the basket was placed on the floor.

“Anderson wanted to bring it up to you but I said I’d do it, you should be more careful with your things though McGregor.” Jesse continued to eye him with suspicion, waiting for him to pounce but the Guard merely looked at him, analysing him as if he was some sort of subject in a laboratory.

“Was there something else?” Jesse asked pointedly, keen to get whatever bollocking he was due, over with, so he could get back to his thoughts.

“Yeah. I just wanted to say I’m sorry for not believing you this morning. About Phillips.” It was so unexpected that it floored Jesse completely and he found himself in an unusual position, with nothing at all to say. There seemed no need to speak though, whether he was keen to alleviate his own guilt or genuinely sorry, the Governor was still speaking. “I don’t know if anyones told you but there were casualties, possibly up to four, including cops.” Now it was time to glare at the man. It was all okay to think the worst of a con but god help if a screw was responsible for something happening to a cop.

“Two cops actually, one of them was a friend and so was one of the other victims. I actually knew all four of them,” Jesse replied coldly, not quite sure why he was telling the screw this except that he wanted him to know just what damage he had done by refusing to believe him.

“How do you know this?”

“I spoke to the widow of Phillips’s son, she’s a friend of mine too.” He crossed his arms over his chest and gave the other guy the strongest look of hatred that he could manage.

“Look McGregor, what you did this morning, attempting to save the lives of all those people, including the cops it’s going to look really good when your case comes to trial, especially as I’ll be giving you a character reference.”

“And why would you want to go doing that? Yesterday you couldn’t get rid of me quick enough,” Jesse spat, disgusted by the double standards.

“Well obviously I was wrong. I’m sorry about your friends McGregor I really am. It was my fault those people weren’t saved and I’m sorry.” This time it was heartfelt and genuine and if Jesse hadn’t have been too consumed with his own grief he might have felt sorry for him. Still it wasn’t exactly The Governor’s fault, he wasn’t to know and who could blame him for not trusting a con?

“Only one persons to blame for all this,” he said quietly.

“That’s also why I wanted to talk to you. With your actions today, my character reference and a good brief you might be looking at a massively reduced sentence by the time your case comes to trial, in view of the time you’ve already served you might even be looking at immediate release.” He spoke in the eager tone of somebody keen to make amends and surprised as he was Jesse could not help but look for a catch.

“You’re kidding right? You really reckon a couple of poxy months is all Chloe’s life was worth?” He felt sick at the thought of it. Chloe’s beautiful face swam before his eyes, Irene, Olivia, a few months was so definitely not justice.

“No of course not but you’ve shown remorse, I know Morag Bellingham has offered to represent you, she’s a well-respected lawyer, you should take up her offer. You could be out of here McGregor and I can’t help thinking that the girl you killed would want you to be out doing some good rather than locked in here moping.”

“How the hell would you know!” Jesse was furious now, how dare the bastard even speak about Chloe.

“Look just think about it alright and don’t go doing anything stupid. Let the justice system deal with Philips,” The Governor urged.

“What the same system that is going to do justice for Chloe?” He was hard pressed now to keep the malice from his voice.

“Look I know you feel guilty but theres more than one way to make amends, let the system deal with Philips, you start looking after yourself. I know what he did and I know how you feel but think about it McGregor you could be out of this dump, back with your little girl,” the guy was almost beseeching him now, pleading with him.

“My little girl calls somebody else Dad.” The words were spoken in bitterness. Rachel was so much better off with Joel, she had been gone from his life for so long, it was as if he’d somehow managed to isolate himself from her. Convince himself that he was over her loss but the thought of her still tugged at some deep, long forgotten part of him. Angrily he brushed the thoughts aside.

“But still, at least you’d be out, think about it McGregor. Don’t do anything stupid, Philips has killed cops and innocents, he’s going down for a long time. Let the justice system deal with him. Don’t let him ruin your life too.” The Governor was edging his way out of the door as he spoke, unwilling to give up but also not willing to provoke a reaction. The cell door slammed shut behind him and Jesse sat back down on his bed, The Governor’s words echoing in his head. Freedom, immediate release. The Governor was giving him a character reference, he could be out. In his mind’s eye he could see the ocean, could smell the salt in the air, feel the heat of the sun on his skin, the softness of the sand under his feet. His personal idea of freedom. Opening his eyes though he was bought back to the reality of prison. The cold, hard, stone, the metal bars over the windows, the bare, minimalistic furnishings and Jesse remembered that he was here for a reason. He had killed Chloe, he deserved punishment. His eyes lighted upon the laundry basket on the floor; the clothes obviously weren’t his and he wondered momentarily why the Governor had used such a phoney excuse to come and speak to him. He kicked the basket in disgust but winced as his foot connected with something infinitely more solid than laundry. Bending down he picked it up, surprised to find it weighed a tonne. Quickly he rifled through the clothes until his hands lit upon a carrier bag and he lifted it out. Anderson had been the delivery boy, that made sense, he was one of Cash’s most trusted carriers and the Governor in his innocence had come to Jesse’s cell with words of freedom but had unknowingly bought with him the very tools that would keep Jesse locked up for a very long time. Jesse knew he had a choice to make and it wasn’t going to be an easy one.

-

“This is unbearable, why can’t they tell us anything!” Kit paced in circles, her eyes fixated on the ground, her arms crossed against her chest, hugging herself as if somehow that would make things okay.

“They probably don’t have anything to tell Kit. We have to be patient,” Beth soothed, putting a gentle arm on her daughter’s shoulders.

“But what if..” Tasha couldn’t even finish the words, the thought was so unbearable. She moved closer to Selina, who had barely left her side through all this and desperately looked up to the older woman for comfort and reassurance.

“There’s no point thinking in what if’s, we just have to stay positive.” Beth spoke before Selina did and somehow she managed to keep her voice steady and even. She would not allow it to break, not in front of her children. She was tired. Tired of being positive, tired of reassuring everyone, tired of having to hide the fact that inside she felt desolate. This was her son too but somehow she was the one who had to hold things together, put aside her own worries and fears. She looked at Tasha, cuddled up alongside Selina. Tasha seemed to have become younger as the hours passed, the girl sat in front of Beth now was more like the innocent girl she had been when she first arrived in the bay, she looked fragile and young and Beth felt for her, she really did. For everything she had put him through, it was obvious how much Tasha loved Robbie and Beth knew he loved her too. That was why she refused to believe anything was wrong with him. Robbie was alive, he had to be because despite everything he’d been through, Robbie was a fighter. She remembered with affection the geeky, too skinny, madcap child who had drove her to torment with his useless inventions. She remembered too the clever, brave boy who had always defended what was right, who had retained his good naturedness despite what life had thrown at him. Robbie had always seen the best in people and in life. The tears were welling up behind her eyes but Beth blinked them away. She owed it to her son to stay positive, to stay strong, to look on the bright side. She had just never imagined it would be this hard.

“Ow!” Kim was shaking his hand and angrily glaring at the pile of rubble they were moving. “Bashed my hand,” he explained to the concerned faces who had looked up at his cry.

“You big gallah, the last thing we need is more to worry about,” Alf cautioned and Kim managed to glare at him before returning to the task in hand. Next to him Steven and Sutty, newcomers to the town, were working with as much vigour as those with loved ones and friends down here. Harder than him anyway. Angry with himself now, Kim renewed work at double the pace. His friends had been trapped down here today, Robbie had been the first and best friend he had had in the bay. The first person to really make an effort with the scary headmaster’s son, the first person who hadn’t cared who he was. Mad schemes and adventures they had had played out in his head, their little threesome with Tasha had been the first real sense of belonging that he had ever had. Jack too was a friend. Living in the bachelor pad with Dan, Kim remembered fondly their drunken escapades, Jack arriving at his own house to caution them for having too loud a party. Kane too had been a big part of his life, at the Gym and Irene’s. Maybe they hadn’t spent so much time together but there were so many memories of him. The three guys were so full of life, it was impossible to think that they could be gone. Happy, fun memories were flitting in and out of his mind, yet Kim felt numb, like they were someone else’s memories, somehow detached from him.

“You guys, look!” Ric’s yell bought Kim out of his thoughts and into the present. He looked over to where Ric and two rescue guys were frantically working away at removing some rubble.

“What is it?” Kim asked of Sutty who was nearest him.

“It looks like they might have found someone,” Sutty whispered, abandoning what he was doing to join the other three in pulling the bricks and rubble aside. Kim was close behind them, his breath caught in his throat as he approached the spot. They’d nearly cleared everything away from him now and his face came into focus. His familiar eyes wide open but still and unmoving, his body whole yet entirely broken. Medics were being called, and Doctors were frantically heading over to him but Kim knew to was no good. They were too late. He felt Sutty’s hand on his shoulder, heard Ric cry out in anguish as the Doctor confirmed what he already knew. Then Kim sank to his knees and with his head in his hands he began to sob.

Kirsty unlocked the front door and simply stood for a moment looking in through the hallway. The woman reflected in the oversized hall mirror looked a fright. Her hair was hung limply around a pale, lifeless face. Her eyes were sunken and distant with huge black circles underneath them. She was a stranger and Kirsty no longer recognised her, no longer knew herself. She was cold, empty, she couldn’t cry, she was incapable of laughter, unable to feel, to grieve. Deftly she switched the radio on and shut her eyes as the music filled the room, invaded her ears and all her senses but the words all blurred into one. They had no sense or meaning. The walls of the house seemed cold and empty, the pictures she had so lovingly hung seemed out of place, they didn’t belong anymore. She didn’t belong here anymore. Not without Kane. This had been a house for a purpose, it was to be a home, their home but not anymore. Gus Phillips had seen to that, he’d torn this house apart in a bigger way than if he had physically trashed it. He’d torn her family apart, her whole life. The radio flickered to a news bulletin and Kirsty couldn’t bear to hear it. The ball of white hot anger that had been building in her chest finally burst out and before she knew what she was doing, the radio was smashed to pieces against the far wall. Kirsty sank to the floor, looking at the fragments of the radio, the fragments of her life. They were broken now, just like she was and she doubted her heart would ever be whole again.

Tony’s head was full of images, full of pictures. Kate lay on the cold white table, her eyes shut as if sleeping. She looked so peaceful and still, all signs of blood and all stains of death had been cleaned away. She looked beautiful, but cold. Cold to look at and to touch, which broke him even more, as she had been such a warm person. In that moment Tony had known that his beloved wife was gone, he had known he had to face the future alone. Jack was just eight, Lucas four, two young boys who needed their mother would never see her again. She would never again kiss or hug them, tuck them in or tell them stories, She would never again hold him as he shared his fears for the future, support him when he needed her most. At the time he hadn’t believed he would ever come to terms with her death but time had been a great healer and his life had moved on. He was happy now, with Beth, but Kate was never far from his thoughts, how could she be when he saw her every day in Jack, the son who looked just like her. If there was a god in heaven surely he couldn’t take away his son? Next to him Lucas omitted a muffled sob and Tony turned his attentions to him, dropping to sit beside him and putting a comforting arm on his shoulder.

“Dad, I…” Lucas paused, unable to truly express what was on his mind but there wasn’t really any need to. Tony knew how he was feeling, it was how they both were feeling.

“Jack’s going to be okay,” he assured.

“You don’t know that!” Lucas twisted angrily away, his face contorted with pain, his shoulders slumped, his body exhausted from the heavy digging.

“Look son…” Tony began but he stopped as someone intruded on their moment, their face clearly giving away that they had news to impart.

“Doctor what is it? Please god say it’s good news?” Doctor Farnham always referred to this as the rewarding part of his job, giving good news. There was honestly nothing better than telling a family that their loved one was going to be okay, no better buzz than saving a life.

“Well?” The question was hurriedly flung but Alf Stewart didn’t mind, he understood that it wasn’t rudeness but fear that led to abrupt questions. He just wished he had better news for them. He closed his eyes but still with them shut he could see that pale lifeless face, those eyes as Doctor Matthews, Rachel’s replacement, had shut them for the final time. He had delivered bad news more times than he cared to remember but it never got any easier, especially when it was somebody he knew, people he cared about. Still better him than a faceless medic or the SAS guys. He looked at their expectant faces, fear etched into every line, the weariness of the past few hours showing on every inch of their faces.

“I’m pleased to say it is good news. It was touch and go for a while there but he came through surgery okay and we’re confident he’ll make a full recovery,” Doctor Farnham explained and the people in front of him began cheering, hugging each other, overjoyed that their loved one was safe.

“I’m sorry…” Alf began, “I wish I didn’t have to be the one to tell you this but better me than a stranger..I’m so sorry.”

”No, don’t you dare tell me my son is dead!” The fury in the voice was a mask for grief, for the despair and tears that Alf knew was sure to follow.

“I’m sorry, they’re bringing him out now but there was nothing they could do.”

“I can’t believe it! Thank you so much Doctor. Can we see him?”

”Of course, he’s still drowsy from surgery, only five minutes though. I’ll take you through.” Estatic, they followed the Doctor down the corridor, eager to see the patient, reassure themselves that the Doctor really wasn’t lying.

With the bad news given, Alf felt powerless as the victim’s loved ones broke down, in pieces, around him, their grief horrific to witness. Tears pricked at the corner of his own eyes and it was all he could do to stop himself breaking down with them.

I don’t think lack of reviews is any reflection on your story. I loved English when I was at school, the reading, writing and discussion side of it - but I hated having to write about why I did or didn't like a book. People read because they enjoy reading. Also I think some readers, especially the younger age groups, think they have to write a detailed analysis if they review whereas a simple “I enjoyed reading that chapter” is often all the author needs to know. The view count is probably a much more accurate reflection of exactly how many people are reading and enjoying your fanfic.

ps I know, I know, I should listen to my own advice when I’m complaining there aren’t enough reviews of one of my own fics! :rolleyes:

His dark eyes had followed her around, beseeching her for forgiveness and she so desperately wanted to just collapse in his arms.

Poor Sutty! I always feel desperately sorry for him

Jesse was sat in his cell, back against the wall, deep in thought. The cell had been ominously quiet since Blubber had died and the screws didn’t seem to be in a hurry to give him a new cellmate. And that suited Jesse just fine, it meant he could think, have some peace without having to consider somebody else or be on his guard.

Once again I loved the Jesse and prison scenes, they are so realistic and I feel Jesse’s emotions every step of the way.

“Apparently you left some laundry down the laundry room McGregor.” It was about the last thing Jesse was expecting and he could not help eye the basket in the Governor’s hand with increasing suspicion. Since when did a Screw return your laundry? Especially when Jesse knew full well he hadn’t left any laundry down there.

That was great, I was dying to know what it was all about.

He kicked the basket in disgust but winced as his foot connected with something infinitely more solid than laundry. Bending down he picked it up, surprised to find it weighed a tonne. Quickly he rifled through the clothes until his hands lit upon a carrier bag and he lifted it out. Anderson had been the delivery boy, that made sense, he was one of Cash’s most trusted carriers and the Governor in his innocence had come to Jesse’s cell with words of freedom but had unknowingly bought with him the very tools that would keep Jesse locked up for a very long time. Jesse knew he had a choice to make and it wasn’t going to be an easy one.

I’m so naive tho, I actually thought for a minute the Governer had brought him something to help him escape! :rolleyes: Hope Jesse doesn't do anything stupid.

“Look McGregor, what you did this morning, attempting to save the lives of all those people, including the cops it’s going to look really good when your case comes to trial, especially as I’ll be giving you a character reference.”

“And why would you want to go doing that? Yesterday you couldn’t get rid of me quick enough,” Jesse spat, disgusted by the double standards.

“That’s also why I wanted to talk to you. With your actions today, my character reference and a good brief you might be looking at a massively reduced sentence by the time your case comes to trial, in view of the time you’ve already served you might even be looking at immediate release.” He spoke in the eager tone of somebody keen to make amends and surprised as he was Jesse could not help but look for a catch.

“You’re kidding right? You really reckon a couple of poxy months is all Chloe’s life was worth?”

I really like that the Governor tries to almost bribe his way out of it and, true to his character, Jesse refuses to be impressed.

In his mind’s eye he could see the ocean, could smell the salt in the air, feel the heat of the sun on his skin, the softness of the sand under his feet. His personal idea of freedom. Opening his eyes though he was bought back to the reality of prison. The cold, hard, stone, the metal bars over the windows, the bare, minimalistic furnishings and Jesse remembered that he was here for a reason.

That’s a superb description, I could feel it - but it doesn’t need “his personal idea of freedom” in the middle of it. Going on to “Opening his eyes he was brought back to the reality of prison” is more effective (and I’ve missed out “though” on purpose).

She would not allow it to break, not in front of her children. She was tired. Tired of being positive, tired of reassuring everyone, tired of having to hide the fact that inside she felt desolate. This was her son too but somehow she was the one who had to hold things together, put aside her own worries and fears.

She remembered with affection the geeky, too skinny, madcap child who had drove her to torment with his useless inventions. She remembered too the clever, brave boy who had always defended what was right, who had retained his good naturedness despite what life had thrown at him. Robbie had always seen the best in people and in life. The tears were welling up behind her eyes but Beth blinked them away. She owed it to her son to stay positive, to stay strong, to look on the bright side. She had just never imagined it would be this hard.

She would not allow it to break, not in front of her children. She was tired. Tired of being positive, tired of reassuring everyone, tired of having to hide the fact that inside she felt desolate. This was her son too but somehow she was the one who had to hold things together, put aside her own worries and fears.

The three guys were so full of life, it was impossible to think that they could be gone. Happy, fun memories were flitting in and out of his mind, yet Kim felt numb, like they were someone else’s memories, somehow detached from him.

Kirsty unlocked the front door and simply stood for a moment looking in through the hallway. The woman reflected in the oversized hall mirror looked a fright. Her hair was hung limply around a pale, lifeless face. Her eyes were sunken and distant with huge black circles underneath them. She was a stranger and Kirsty no longer recognised her, no longer knew herself. She was cold, empty, she couldn’t cry, she was incapable of laughter, unable to feel, to grieve. Deftly she switched the radio on and shut her eyes as the music filled the room, invaded her ears and all her senses but the words all blurred into one. They had no sense or meaning. The walls of the house seemed cold and empty, the pictures she had so lovingly hung seemed out of place, they didn’t belong anymore. She didn’t belong here anymore. Not without Kane. This had been a house for a purpose, it was to be a home, their home but not anymore.

If you’re trying to make me cry, Kat, you’re going the right way about it! All I could think was poor Kirsty, poor Beth, poor Kim...

Jesse was sat in his cell...

...the geeky, too skinny, madcap child who had drove her to torment

Watch your grammar with past tense. Sat should be sitting and drove should be driven.

analysing him as if he was some sort of subject in a laboratory.

I’m not sure about the grammar of this one. I think it should be “were” instead of “was” but... :unsure: When I have my doubts about grammar I rewrite. I’d probably have written “as though he might be” to hedge my bets!

“I spoke to the widow of Phillips’s son, she’s a friend of mine too.”

That is the cruellest thing you have ever done to me. You were warned. As we speak, you are being tracked down by the hitmen I've hired. :ph34r:

“I’m pleased to say it is good news. It was touch and go for a while there but he came through surgery okay and we’re confident he’ll make a full recovery,” Doctor Farnham explained and the people in front of him began cheering, hugging each other, overjoyed that their loved one was safe.

...Or is there hope...? Who’s alive? I have to know soon, Kat, so don’t leave it too long before the next update. :D

Archived