Return to the Bay

Guest Skykat

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Hmm if only a few people are still following SBH after such a long gap I'm guessing very few people are still reading this but I've finally wrote some so I'll post it anyway and if theres still a few people interested, I have more to post.

Thanks massively to Jess Sevenpudds for proof reading.

SEVENTY

“Smoke?”

Jesse's eyes flicked towards Cash. “You know I don’t.”

“Oh yeah, Mr clean living. You’re a weird one you know McGregor; one of the toughest people in this hell hole but completely clean, strange.” His sarcastic tone didn't go unnoticed by Jesse.

“Yeah well if you want to stay sharp its best to avoid that sort of s&%t and in case you’ve forgotten the grog’s the reason I’m in here.” Jesse glared with hatred at the strong, white-washed walls, the dull grime and limescale that clung to the corners, the metal stairs and railings; hating it with every breath he took as he stared at it.

“Did you deliver my message?”

“Yeah, he didn’t say anything though,” Cash confided.

“Doesn’t surprise me. I want you to keep delivering messages but through different people; faceless, through his door if you like. All saying the same thing, ‘What kind of person tries to kill their son? Tick tock’.”

“What’s that going to achieve?”

“Mind games Cash. I want him thinking everyone is out to get him, I want him doubting who he can trust, looking over his shoulder all the time. Having your own son killed is low even by standards in here, I want word spread that he took out a contract on his own son in a public bank, I want it known that a young child died and another has been left fatherless.”

“Is that true?”

“The second one is. But it really doesn’t matter if its true or not. What’s important is that people in here believe it. So will you spread it? It needs to get round before he’s let out from behind his door.”

“Sorted then.”

“Good.”

“Where you getting all these ideas from?” Cash asked almost curiously. Jesse looked away.

“Lets just say I’ve seen mind games played before and I’ve seen a fair few psychos.”

“Right.” Cash looked at the other guy curiously. Jesse continued to stare straight ahead, images filtering through his mind. Tenderly he fingered the scar on his head, the memory of Sarah’s bullet still clear in his mind. Mixed with it memories of that night, trapped like caged animals in Leah’s house, a place where they should have been safe. Peter unconscious, unable to help them, Sarah brandishing a gun.

Tick, tock.

He doubted those memories would ever fade. Noah had died that night but the torment had gone on for the rest of them. They’d been recovering, moving on, even Hayley had managed to begin a new life, but life had been shattered once more when the Summer Bay stalker had arrived. Notes, crashed helicopters, a bomb planted at the country house, Mark Edwards turning up dead. Memories of him instinctively turned to memories of Josie. He had loved her, really loved her and her betrayal had tipped him over the edge; sent him to the drink. Jesse stopped that train of thought in its tracks, it wasn’t Josie’s fault he killed Chloe, there wasn’t anybody to blame for that but himself.

“You alright mate?” Cash was looking at him concerned.

“Not really. Give us some more phone cards Cash, they must have some news by now.” Cash obligingly handed him more cards while thinking to himself that Jesse was taking most of his stock and for free aswell. Still, if the guy delivered on his promise to end Gus Philips, the stash the stood to make would be enormous and well worth a few to McGregor now.

“Thanks.” Jesse stood up and headed in the direction of the phone as Cash curiously watched him walk away.

“I should be at the hospital.” Rachel hugged herself as she walked in small, continuous circles on the grass, her eyes avoiding looking at the site of the explosion. She could not hide from it altogether though, the smell of smoke, fire, burning, lay heavy in the air. The noises of the workmen, Leah's screams, the memories and real sounds penetrated deep into her thoughts.

“Come on Rach, don’t beat yourself up hey, you know you’re needed here,” Irene tried desperately to soothe the distraught Doctor.

“But she’s my best friend! Did you see the state of her? She was in so much pain.” Rachel hugged herself tighter, pressing her eyes tightly shut in an attempt to block out the horrific images that were running through her head.

“There was nothing you could have done. You said yourself she’s getting good treatment at the hospital. Come and get a cup of tea love,” Irene suggested soothingly and Rachel nodded dumbly, her eyes still on the bomb site. She could see Sutty working away with the others and her heart swelled momentarily. He didn’t know these people, he had only been in the town five minutes but he was getting stuck in with as much vigour as Ric, Kim and those with loved ones under there. Already it was clear he was both popular and respected. Between little pats on the back, handshakes and looks, Sutty seemed to have well and truly won the town over. Except that nobody knew he had been inside, and Rachel couldn’t help but wonder what would happen if they ever did find out. She shivered involuntarily and accepted the cup of tea from Irene.

“Best get it down you before the next shift takes over and those at work are after some,” Irene urged, “although I’m hoping Colleen will be back with fresh supplies by then. Where is the bloody woman?” With that Irene took off to look for her and Rachel sank further down onto the grass, gently pulling up blades of it and letting them fall through her fingers. Memories of her childhood washed over her like a flood, of she and Brad playing in the Park with their Mum, of her Dad shouting at them that they should be studying. Memories of a different park, one where she and Sutty had lay side by side, in the dark, watching the stars. The night he had first said he loved her and the night she had shown him how much she loved him back. She still couldn’t believe he was back in her life. She wondered momentarily if she was a mug for forgiving him, for taking him back, but the fact was she loved him so much. There had never been anybody else, she doubted there ever could be.

“Hey.” She looked up, smiling softly as Sutty took a seat on the grass beside her and held out his arm, inviting her in. She moved closer, snuggling into him, feeling his warmth, the comfort of his arms. “Thank you,” she whispered.

“Anytime. How are you bearing up?”

“I’m okay, just worrying about Leah,” Rachel admitted.

“That’s understandable, why don’t you ring the hospital and get an update?” Sutty suggested.

“Yeah that’s an idea, I’m just going to hug you a second more first,” Rachel replied, snuggling deeper into him, shutting her eyes and sighing with contentment.

“That’s probably the hospital now,” Sutty remarked a few moments later.

“What is?” Rachel looked up at him absently.

“Your phone, can’t you hear it?”

“That’s not my ring tone,” Rachel said, rooting in her bag which was definitely the source of the sound. After a few minutes search she extracted the phone from her bag. “It’s Leah’s. Sally asked me to hold it, think I should answer?”

“Yeah best had, it might be important.”

“Okay.” Rachel clicked the answer button. “Hello?”

“Hello Leah?”

“N..no,” Rachel’s voice choked over the words. “I’m afraid Leah isn’t here right now.”

“Where is she? I could really do with speaking to her, please it’s important.”

“I’m afraid that won’t be possible, who is this?”

“An old friend, please something’s going on I can hear it in your voice. I need to know what’s going on down there. Can you find Sally, or Kirsty, Irene, Sutty, someone, geez I’ll even speak to Alf though I’m not sure he’d want to speak to me.”

“Why don’t you tell me who you are and I’ll see what I can do?”

“Fine, it’s Jesse, Jesse McGregor, I used to live in the Bay, please just tell me what’s going on.”

“Jesse McGregor, I know that name." Rachel thought for a moment, before it clicked. "You’re Leah’s ex, the one who’s in prison.”

“And you are?”

“Rachel Armstrong, Leah’s best friend.” Rachel looked up; next to her Sutty was gesturing at her to hand him the phone. She looked at him surprised and something triggered in her brain. “Did you say you’d speak to Sutty?”

“Is he there with you? Please put him on.”

“Sure.” Still confused and looking to Sutty for an answer Rachel handed him the phone and Sutty quickly stood up and walked away from her, leaving Rachel open mouthed and bewildered.

“Jess?”

“Sutty good to hear your voice mate. What the hell happened? Why didn’t they get the message on time?” The fury in Jesse’s voice was evident.

“They did Jess, we got through to Peter Baker but there was a stuff up at this end, I’m not sure what.”

“I’ve been going out of my mind with worry, not being able to speak to anyone. I spoke to Sally earlier she said Peter’s hurt and Kirsty said Kane is dead.”

“We don’t know that for certain but it’s pretty likely seeing as he opened the safety deposit box. This place is a mess Jess, really bad.”

“What about the others? Peter, how’s Peter?”

“They got him out, he was unconcious but we haven’t heard anymore. There’s something you should know about Leah though.” Sutty took a deep breath.

“What about Leah?”

“They needed someone to go down to Peter, help keep him concious while they got him out and Leah did it; she’s only small isn’t she? And they got Peter out okay but then the whole thing came down on Leah, trapping her legs. It was pretty bad Jess; her legs were completely crushed. Rach didn’t hold out much hope.”

“Oh my god! Poor Leah." Jesse resisted the urge to thump the wall. "God I hate this stupid place. I should be there; I should be helping!”

“There’s nothing you can do here Jess, there’s plenty of people helping out here. Best thing you can do is sort things out from in there. Phillips hasn’t tracked me down yet but it’s only a matter of time before he realises. I’m going to have to testify Jess, you know he’s going to come for me if this goes to trial.”

“It won’t go that far. I made a promise, when I spoke to Kirsty this morning, I promised her I’d sort it and I’m going to. You need to look out for her, Kirsty I mean.”

“Yeah I will do, Rach and I will keep an eye on her and I’ll give you a number you can contact me on so I can keep you updated with what’s going on,” Sutty quickly read out his new mobile number.

“Right, keep me up to date the minute you hear anything. I need to know, you know how hard it is in here.”

“I know, I will. You just take care of your end. If Phillips finds out I betrayed him I’m a dead man.”

“Its under control.” With that Jesse hung up the phone and Sutty breathed a sigh of relief, turning back to go and speak to Rachel. Except she was already standing behind him, hands crossed over her chest and the expression on her face told him she had heard every word and he had some explaining to do.

Dan wiped his mouth with a tissue and sat back against the wall, his head in his hands. He shut his eyes tightly, but the pictures remained in his head, the screams still ringing in his ears. Dan felt completely disgusted in himself. A knock at the door caught his attention and Dan took a deep breath. “Just a second,” he called but the door was already opening. Martha’s face appeared in the gap and she slipped herself through the door, pulling it back shut behind her.

“Are you okay?” She asked softly.

“Not really,” Dan admitted with a wry smile. “Why are you here Martha? You should have left me alone,” he replied, a little too sharply.

“You didn’t when I was upset earlier,” Was her response. Dan said nothing. “Look I know how you feel, seeing Leah like that, but they’re good Doctors here, they’ll do everything they can for her.”

“You have no idea how I feel!” Martha looked at him stunned at the verocity of his accusation but she quickly regained her composure.

“Sure I don’t. Guilty, that’s how you feel. You fought with her, you were mad at her and now she’s fighting for her life. Torn between hating her for what she did and still loving her.” Dan looked at Martha in surprise, “Its how I feel about Jack,” she admitted.

“This is all my fault,” Dan admitted softly.

“Of course its not.”

“It is though, I was so wrapped up in Peter and so mad at her. She’d never have gone down there if I hadn’t have made her feel so guilty. Its my fault she’s like this.” Dan thumped his head against his hands, pulling at his hair in his frustration.

“Hey stop that!” Martha moved closer to him and took hold of his hands, forcing his head up, and his eyes to meet hers.

“Its not your fault. Leah would have gone down anyway, her own guilt drove her down there Dan, not you. Its not your fault.” She looked him dead in the eyes, forcing him to meet her gaze, to accept the message she was passing him.

“Why do I feel so guilty then?” he whispered, his eyes now fixed on hers.

“Because you’re worried for her, its only natural.” Martha moved her face closer to his, her hands still tightly holding his own. She could feel the warmth of his breath on her neck, he heat from his body and she could see the unchecked tears glistening in his eyes.

“Thanks,” he whispered.

“Anytime,” she smiled, holding his gaze. A knock at the door made them both jump and Martha released his hands almost as if they had burnt her. She stood up quickly and opened the door.

“Hey there you both are, Dan the Doctor wants to talk to you,” Sally explained. Dan was on his feet in a flash, he pushed past Martha and ignored Sally’s questioning gaze.

“What is it? Is it Leah?” Dan demanded of Doctor Green.

“No it’s Peter. He’s out of surgery and it was successful,” Doctor Green announced.

“Oh thank God! Can I see him?”

“Yes, he’s still likely to be a bit groggy but yes you can see him.” Dan needed no further confirmation as he raced into his brother’s room.

The sight of Peter hooked up to so many wires, looking so helpless took his breath away and Dan stopped short for a moment before making his way to his brother’s bedside. Pulling up a chair he sat down beside him, taking hold of his hands.

“Hey big bro, what are you trying to do to me hey?” But there was no response from the bed. “I’m sorry about everything that happened between us Pete, seeing you like this, nearly losing you; it’s made me realise whats important. You’re my brother and that’s all that matters, I never want us to fall out like this again.” Dan squeezed Peter’s hand and to his amazement it was squeezed back. “Pete?” Dan was on his feet as signs of movement came from Peter’s flickering eyelashes and after what seemed like an age he opened his eyes.

“Dan?” he whispered, his voice hoarse and croaky.

“Sure is,” Dan replied, unable to keep the laughter from his voice.

“Angel? I want… Angel.” Peter managed and Dan smiled to himself. He had misjudged his brother, Peter wasn’t after Leah at all, there was clearly only one woman on Peter’s mind.

“I’ll go get her,” Dan replied, smiling as he left the room.

“Ah I’d forgotten how cold that stuff is!” Angel squeeled as the gel was applied to her stomach.

“Well it was a long time since you were pregnant,” Dylan teased.

“Too long,” Angel agreed, sharing a secret smile with her son. He knew as well as she did how much not being able to have a baby with Simon had hurt her. She felt Dylan take her hand and smiled as she turned her head to look at the screen.

“Right you should be able to see your baby in a second,” Nurse Julie told her and Angel squeezed Dylan’s hand, grateful to have him with her, supporting her. “And there we go, can you see, just there.” Nurse Julie pointed to the blurry image on the screen.

“It looks like a pea!” Dylan exclaimed.

“Oh you,” Angel punched him playfully. She could hear the monitor going but there was another sound too. “Is that the baby’s heartbeat?” she asked, almost too scared to hear the response.

“Yes it is. A good strong heartbeat Angel, it seems you have a right tough little cookie in there,” Nurse Julie told her, grinning. Angel felt the tears welling up in her eyes as she watched the screen, fascinated.

“Guess the little one’s just like his Dad huh?” Angel, Dylan and Selina turned to see Dan stood at the doorway, watching them.

“Oh Dan, the baby’s fine!” Angel explained, unable to keep the sob from her voice.

“Like I said he takes after his father. Peter’s awake,” Dan whispered. Angel could say nothing, she just looked at him stunned, allowing the tears to fall unchecked from her eyes.

“Yes!” Dylan exclaimed, hugging Angel hard.

“Is he okay?” Selina asked.

“Groggy but the surgery was a success apparantly. He’s asking for you,” Dan explained.

“Me?” Angel looked at Dan stunned, then to Nurse Julie, “Can I?” She begged, “Please.”

“I don’t see why not but I’ll just run it past Doctor Green first.”

“Oh thank you!” Angel smiled at Dan and then back at the monitor and accepted a hug from Dylan as the tears fell more freely now.

“You okay Mum?”

“Happy tears babe, happy tears,” she replied, hugging him tighter and watching from the doorway Dan could not help but smile either. Seemed like his brother really did have it all. Silently and unseen, he headed from the room.

Kat.

You know how I feel about this. But I shall reiterate.

Its amazing. To pick up months after especially at such a dramatic point in the story and just continue on like that is FANTASTIC.

You make me love Jesse. I love the dialogue you use for him. Short, direct, but dark and brooding. I swoon good.

I love that he's manipulating Phillips, but then the memories about Sarah was such a brilliant tie in. Hes been so involved during all of these things, and it made me really sad actually, especially when he apologised to Chloe :(

Rachel, Sutty, everything was just painful. I'm really loving these characters that you're bringing in and making your own [sutty & Dylan to begin with] and they fit seemlessly into roles in SB.

Finally, the biggest shock!

She could feel the warmth of his breath on her neck, he heat from his body and she could see the unchecked tears glistening in his eyes.

OH MY GOD! You're keeping up with forbidden romances in the heat of a dramatic time in Summer Bay. I so loved it! It hit me from nowhere, but with such conviction that I'm either seeing things that aren't there, or you'll develop it slowly, surely and create even MORE DRAMA! I love it.

A BIG YAY for Peter being awake AND asking for Angel. My second favourite AU ship is so alive and well! Woo!

You better keep writing Kat, I'm going to need to continue to feed my addiction :ph34r:

Jesse glared with hatred at the strong, white-washed walls, the dull grime and limescale that clung to the corners, the metal stairs and railings; hating it with every breath he took as he stared at it.

I loved that description and the fast-paced dialogue that accompanied it, particularly this:

“Doesn’t surprise me. I want you to keep delivering messages but through different people; faceless, through his door if you like. All saying the same thing, ‘What kind of person tries to kill their son? Tick tock’.”

Re Jesse thinking back:

Noah had died that night but the torment had gone on for the rest of them. They’d been recovering, moving on, even Hayley had managed to begin a new life, but life had been shattered once more when the Summer Bay stalker had arrived. Notes, crashed helicopters, a bomb planted at the country house, Mark Edwards turning up dead. Memories of him instinctively turned to memories of Josie. He had loved her, really loved her and her betrayal had tipped him over the edge; sent him to the drink..

I didn’t actually see most of those episodes (was away on holiday during the “tick tock” storyline and I didn’t like all the death and destruction with the Stalker story so started skipping episodes too) so the reminder was helpful. I remember the infamous Jesse/Josie near-wedding tho because she wore a wedding dress that was way too short for her and looked way too old for him. (Am I jealous? Noooo, of course not! :P ) Ahem, back on subject. Like I said, it’s good that you did a flashback here because not everybody will have seen the background stories. Who’s Mark Edwards tho? :unsure:

Rachel hugged herself as she walked in small, continuous circles on the grass, her eyes avoiding looking at the site of the explosion.

Great image! Creates an exact picture in very few words.

She could see Sutty working away with the others and her heart swelled momentarily. He didn’t know these people, he had only been in the town five minutes but he was getting stuck in with as much vigour as Ric, Kim and those with loved ones under there. Already it was clear he was both popular and respected. Except that nobody knew he had been inside, and Rachel couldn’t help but wonder what would happen if they ever did find out.

Another great image, particularly the line Between little pats on the back, handshakes and looks, Sutty seemed to have well and truly won the town over.

...of she and Brad playing in the Park with their Mum, of her Dad shouting at them that they should be studying. The night he had first said he loved her and the night she had shown him how much she loved him back.

This is good, but it’s a little too rushed. Brief snippets of recollected conversation would have made the memories more effective. But I really like this line: Memories of a different park, one where she and Sutty had lay side by side, in the dark, watching the stars.

And it’s definitely awww factor time :wub: when we move on to:

She still couldn’t believe he was back in her life. She wondered momentarily if she was a mug for forgiving him, for taking him back, but the fact was she loved him so much. There had never been anybody else, she doubted there ever could be.

“Hey.” She looked up, smiling softly as Sutty took a seat on the grass beside her and held out his arm, inviting her in. She moved closer, snuggling into him, feeling his warmth, the comfort of his arms.

The phone conversation between Jesse and Sutty was really good: realistic, bringing the reader up-to-date (it’s a long time between updates and some people may have forgotten what happened with Leah!) and keeping the action moving too.

Dan the Doctor

Aargh, remember punctuation! For a couple of minutes, I was wondering who on earth “Dan the Doctor” was... :lol:

“Happy tears babe, happy tears,” she replied, hugging him tighter and watching from the doorway Dan could not help but smile either. Seemed like his brother really did have it all. Silently and unseen, he headed from the room.

Loved the ending of that chapter. Nice to end with a smile. :)

Ah thanks for the great reviews. I am VERY out of practice with this writing malarky so its nice that people think its worthwhile. :P

The Jesse stuff is somehow easier to write, Jess thinks I have an obsession for the badboy characters, Kane, Jesse, Ric etc.. I don't know, I do find them easier to write for though.

ILM, Mark Edwards was Josie's ex the one who blackmailed her into sleeping with him because of the 1989 secret. He was also accused of being the summer bay stalker for a short while until Zoe killed him. It was Josie sleeping with Mark Edwards that was revealed at their wedding by Tasha and that was the reason the wedding was stopped.

...And you were so right about Josie's wedding dress, I thought that too.

And Jess... I could team Dan up with Colleen and you'd see an AU pairing :P I'm not giving anything away there, mainly because I haven't made up my mind yet. :wink: Still I think its at times of tragedy when people do get close and form strong bonds, if someone helps you through something big, you tend to rely on them a bit more so I just want to reflect that.

Archived