All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Today
  2. Not in the UK. We get Channel 5 via our Swiss tv, but it doesn't have 5Star.
  3. They should not have bought Martha back from the dead, trashing Alf's character as well, or dookied on Irene and Marilyn like they have in recent years. Alf Stewart and Helen Daniels were trashed by the Ramsay/Martha retcons.
  4. I’ve held back here because I have mixed feelings on returnees for H&A if they are going to have them please don’t dookie on the legacy I’m sorry but there’s no way Celia would’ve given Les’ ring to anyone Nevermind Heath, i don’t think the current producers have enough respect for the show’s history to have returnees, it’s all about appealing to Gen Z and social media
  5. You'd probably have to recast many of these old characters, because the original actors have either left acting, live abroad or are retired. That's a solution that'd make nobody happy.
  6. It feels like there's a lot of "excepts" here. "Since Sally's departure, there's been no returns of characters from the first 20 years except Kane and Kirsty, Pippa, Shelley, Sally, Morag, Celia, Colleen, Marilyn, Roo recast, Olivia recast, Duncan recast, Quinn recast, Martha recast technically and Dmitri." And maybe some others that I've forgotten. I certainly accept that the current show is reluctant to acknowledge its past, and there are certainly characters from that era who'd have a reason to come back, but I think there's a certain snobbishness about acting as though the characters from the first 20 years are all sacred icons and bringing back someone who only debuted 10 years ago doesn't count. It is ironic that Neighbours and Home and Away have pretty much swapped over from where they were 20 years ago: Back then Neighbours was outright saying they didn't think the current audience cared about the show's history while Home and Away was organising regular reunions of old characters. Now Home and Away is the one trying to avoid mentions of the past as much as possible (and oddly skirting around it when they do, like the recent references to Roo giving up a child for adoption), while Neighbours has gone way too far in the other direction, being run by overgrown fanboys who think bringing back a short-lived character from over 30 years ago to deliver about four lines while being virtually unrecognisable is a work of genius. I think there is an argument that Home and Away's format of a revolving door of younger characters (which they've always had) with a few stalwarts that lapsed viewers can latch onto as recognisable (six character who've been there over 10 years, with a seventh who's been there nearly 8 and none of them look like they're going anywhere) seems to have worked at keeping it in the public eye, while Neighbours has narrowly survived cancellation, been reduced to four episodes a week and relegated to streaming in most countries and seems to be being made purely for a committed minority. So, yeah, it's a shame, but we've still got a show that many people still enjoy so I won't complain too loudly.
  7. Yesterday
  8. Tbf Cats are nutters and will just jump outta nowhere
  9. Tempany now lives in the US and Adam has left acting completely. I also doubt Steven would come back any time soon while there are two unrelated Mathesons around. The same could be argued for Frank Morgan too (we have Justin Morgan!), Roo's ex husband. He'd be a prime candidate too as it would give Roo a potential story and Alex Papps is still acting. I think the problem with characters returning for Alf's wedding was Martha's backstory. Having Duncan return for the wedding would mean that the writers would have had to address the fact that Ailsa existed and Alf lied to her for so long, and others like Fisher would need to address the fact that Martha left Bobby high and dry since Morag didn't know where to send the money to. The perfect opportunity for Fisher to return would have been Marilyn's amnesia story about 10 years ago when she thought she was still married to him. I always think it's a shame Lance never returned to visit Colleen in her final years when Marilyn was back. Lance is well and truly moved on, but they've actually never appeared onscreen together since 1990, despite both characters returning several times over the years. Lance began making sporadic appearances in 2000, just a few months after Emily Symons left and then he never appeared after 2006(?). I assume for Peter Vroom wasn't interested or was unavailable to return to return, since I assume he would have otherwise been back for Sally's or Colleen's exits, and he was a constant at reunion episodes up to the mid 2000s.
  10. I'd love to know who is watching Home and Away regularly these days, and how long they have been doing so. Would they even remember or care about these past characters? The actors are now in their forties and fifties, which would probably work against them. Home and Away is a soap which has evolved far more than the other main ones I can think of. It morphed from a teenage-heavy soap into the River Boys which is pretty crazy if you think about it. Would anybody following the Summer Bay Bunyip story arc have ever imagined we'd have gang members and people dropping like flies. Personally I don't care for the current format - Martin hit the nail on the head with the description of what it is - but it is a format that seems to suit everybody. The older actors are happy to have a steady job and the newbies think they could be the next Chris Hemsworth or Margot Robbie. The show is a behemoth now (I've heard Lynne McGranger say there's huge money tied into it) and as long as the current format works, I can't see them bothering to do anything radical. I find it to be shallow and rootless but maybe that's all most people want.
  11. Typical of them to recast Duncan – a legacy character – once again, and treat him in that manner. I think you would be right about Debra and Kate. It's clear to everyone how little regards the show has for its history these days. Long gone are the days when much of the legacy cast would reunite every so often for important storylines. You're spot on about the modern-day cookie-cutter characters. You would never get an Alf, Irene or Marilyn these days, much less a Martin, Lance, Fisher, Morag, Celia, Colleen, Joey, Vinnie or Edward. Lynne McGranger said in an interview that the actress who played Finlay, Tina Thompson, has given up acting, so unlikely she will ever return. Her oldest son (until the Mick Jennings revelation) was already recast, last appearing in 2002. Matt Doran (Damien) could be a candidate, since he is still acting, however there must have been opportunities in the past 28 years for him to return, and yet he hasn't. Tempany Deckert (Selina) and Adam Willits (Steven) would be perfect returnees, and not just to dump one of their kids on Irene. Surely Stevo would be cashed up enough to buy the Summer Bay Caravan Park! I don't watch the show nowadays, but they actually showed Alf and Martha's wedding on-screen?!? That's absolutely mad to have no returnees and just feature the current cookie-cutter blow-ins on their 1-3 year contracts. It would have been the perfect opportunity to bring back a bunch of former cast members, but I guess making believable television and respecting the fans is not on the current producers' to-do list. I believe that. It's crazy when cast members don't seem to know their characters' on-screen properly, too. But then again, even if they did pick up on inconsistencies in the writing, it's not necessarily in their best interests to mention it when they have to film the equivalent of a feature film each week. I reckon a bit of improv could work wonders, though.
  12. This might be the interview you're thinking of
  13. Great analysis, and thanks for the intel. Do you happen to remember where Debra said this, and do you have a link?
  14. How come you get C5 but no 5STAR? Just curious
  15. Alf's episode count this week:Three. John's turn to not appear, I guess he's really committed to this trip to the city! I had no sympathy for Theo here. He was the one begging for pills and insisting he couldn't do an interview without them last week, so Valerie's right that he just came across as a hypocrite by, ironically, doing what she did last week and trying to insist she could cope without them.That said, I did find Valerie's spaced out behaviour afterwards rather disturbing, it was just a bit too much of a shift from the depressed state she was in before.It felt less like her coping and more like her seeking some sort of escape. I must admit I was largely on Dana's side as well.Whilst Dana is making a lot of assumptions about Maia's situation, Harper just came across as completely sanctimonious and refusing to acknowledge that some people actually are just bad parents.It was nice to fill in a few blanks about their history and the fact that they don't seem to have any family apart from each other (and surrogate mum Irene, I guess!). Meanwhile, we have chalk-and-cheese siblings number two with Felicity taking Eden's place as the resident Stevie Marlow fangirl and convincing Cash a movie night is a good idea.And it turns out she was actually right and it was useful homework! I wasn't sure how into the film he was, but for all his snark, he definitely isn't keen on cats leaping out.
  16. You don't have Freeview? Do you have access to My5?
  17. Welcome to Addiction Theo; sing and get rid of the Deadwood, the girl ain't worth it, at all! Interesting insight to Harper/Dana (silly me but is it Harper or Dana that is older?) and their polarising views on their parents, I'm very much on Team Dana with that one. I have a theory that maybe Dana was abused but Harper never saw because she was either A) Protecting Harper or B) Harper was the favourite in their twisted minds. Who knows?
  18. The not mentioning characters by name thing is a bit of a pain. Also, Death Throes has to be *S***test movie ever made! Ivl've Seen "Mature Entertainment" with better production values! *cackles like Gilbert from Inbetweeners* God! Valerie...Well at least we get a glimpse into her backstory and the Matheson girls' too (echoes of the Smith kids with parents being Addicts)
  19. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  20. Don't get 5Star so going to miss 3 episodes. Thanks Channel 5.
  21. Very annoying that there'll be no way to watch those episodes in HD. RTÉ Player and a VPN to the rescue methinks.
  22. Just in case we're pondering - in H&A land it's the end of Feb/start of March so a month until the wedding would be the beginning of April. Justin made contact with Tori, will Brody and Simone and Mason be coming also Raffy? Leah did mention the other day about no question of not having VJ there but will we see him and Luc? Maybe and it's a big maybe if Peter hadn't been so aggressive in his interviewing Tane he may have got some answers to his questions. Of course Peter would have complained to his editor but I bet he put his spin on it. I guess Yabbie Creek cops had no choice and as you said Red the never seen Sarge doe he actually exist? - had no choice but to get Rose, as it is her case, to tell Tane to leave the hospital or he gets an AVO. I like to think Tane left voluntarily so as not to make Rose do that as she is a friend. I know Maia is only a baby but I think she'll miss Tane, she's got used to his touch, voice. Flick does seem to be one step behind everyone and had only just found about the article about Tane and although advised not to she did go and see him, they may be separated but she does still care for him though not a good idea to mention the emergency fostering idea she had. Is it really a good idea to go back to work in the mood he's in? Another one not taking advice was Dana going to see Tane and admitting it was her fault Peter the Wolf got involved, but she obviously felt she had to see him in person, then going back to see him at the gym - leave it now girlie. It was good that Xander was there for her, even if they don' become a couple I can see them being good friends. From what Flick said to Xander before she dashed off to the hospital, Mac has gone away for a few days but not where or if she is alone or with someone - but we know - nudge, nudge ,. Re all this 'family' talk, Mali was an old friend of Dean's so I guess both he and Mac considered the other as surrogate family. We obviously saw that flashback of Valerie on the beach and popping a pill for a reason. I just had this feeling Leah wanted to speak to Valerie alone by suggesting Justin and Theo go for a surf. As I thunked Valerie was a voluntary inpatient at the clinic so perfectly able to discharge herself even though it was mentioned to Leah Valerie's counsellor wasn't sure she'd made the right decision, would that be ethical? Valerie wasn't willing to open up to Leah about why she was there but had no problem with Theo did she? It certainly stirred up a lot of emotions and it resulted in her begging Theo for a pill just to get her through this current upset. Does he really not have any or has he finished with them as he feels he doesn't need them anymore? She did have some money of her own then, but now it seems to have run out. Maybe she had sort of allowance and got a certain amount each month? Remi's popped off to see mum and dad then, long journey on that bike and still not healed, odd how they never managed to make the journey to see him when he was in hospital. What will he tell them about his break up with Bree and why? Kirby was up for the band to get together for the wedding, Remi should be fit enough for it by then. Theo being on drugs or not a difficult subject to talk about. Will Justin be writing another song or use the one he wrote before?
  23. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  24. Alf and Martha's wedding had no returnees, it was current cast members and what was possibly Alf's "friends" other than the ones we know. I don't even think Morag's passing has even been mentioned. Also, with some of the storylines we have seen in recent months, some that would benefit from stuff like "I remember when this happened to X all those years ago...". There hasn't even been any mention of the Summer Bay City Rollers, despite one of the band members being still in the show, especially with Lyrik being a thing.
  25. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.