Wasted and missed opportunities

adam436

What characters and storylines have been a wasted or missed opportunity?

• Quinn Jackson - that whole storyline was very bizarre and it seems a waste to create extra family for Alf only to have her never mentioned again
  • Bridget Jackson - Ailsa had a sister! Why was she never mentioned again after Emma left. I'd have loved to explore the sister relationship in more depth
  • Sally and Miles - another bizarre storyline. I failed to see the point of introducing a long-lost brother for Sally, only to have her up and leave a few months later. At the time, I remember thinking he must be part of her exit storyline, but he went on to become a regular.
  • Alan Fisher - obviously when Alan was killed off, the writers had no idea that Don would stay for 15 years, but we could have seen him as a regular in the 1990s and even back with his own family (we had Seb I suppose) in the 2000s.
  • Not making Rebecca a regular in 1989 - she would have been a more interesting and plausible addition to the Fisher household than Viv.

There are probably many other examples like this (e.g. unexplored and wasted characters and storylines), but they top the list for me.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, adam436 said:

What characters and storylines have been a wasted or missed opportunity?

• Quinn Jackson - that whole storyline was very bizarre and it seems a waste to create extra family for Alf only to have her never mentioned again
  • Bridget Jackson - Ailsa had a sister! Why was she never mentioned again after Emma left. I'd have loved to explore the sister relationship in more depth
  • Sally and Miles - another bizarre storyline. I failed to see the point of introducing a long-lost brother for Sally, only to have her up and leave a few months later. At the time, I remember thinking he must be part of her exit storyline, but he went on to become a regular.
  • Alan Fisher - obviously when Alan was killed off, the writers had no idea that Don would stay for 15 years, but we could have seen him as a regular in the 1990s and even back with his own family (we had Seb I suppose) in the 2000s.
  • Not making Rebecca a regular in 1989 - she would have been a more interesting and plausible addition to the Fisher household than Viv.

There are probably many other examples like this (e.g. unexplored and wasted characters and storylines), but they top the list for me.

When Ailsas brother is introduced I'm not sure we get a mention of Bridget even then. Though I could be wrong. Rebecca does indeed feel neglected by Don in her 1996 returns feeling that she was replaced by Bobby. But Rebecca was trying to be a concert pianists and couldn't do that in the bay. 

Just now, Blaxland 89 said:

When Ailsas brother is introduced I'm not sure we get a mention of Bridget even then. Though I could be wrong. Rebecca does indeed feel neglected by Don in her 1996 returns feeling that she was replaced by Bobby. But Rebecca was trying to be a concert pianists and couldn't do that in the bay. 

And if Kate Ritchie hadn't decided to leave I'm not sure they'd have even done the miles story. 

Quinn got mentioned again... Ten years later on Alf's birthday.

Sophie/Karen laying things to rest after the latter got out of jail. I'd have loved to have seen a two-hander with them yelling, then crying, then burying the hatchet but then we wouldn't have had Ungrateful Bitch Karen. It's too bad Rebekah's contract ran out before Les' (Belinda was brought back to facilitate his departure).

Roman Harris in general but I don't think I could have taken him mooning after Martha for much longer (He never really got over her).

6 hours ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

Not making Shane and Angel the new Tom and Pippa.

With Dieter having had enough of Melissa, the character of Shane and the show by 1995, that wasn't gonna happen anytime soon. And MG probably only planned to stick around for 3yrs herself.

14 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

Sophie/Karen laying things to rest after the latter got out of jail. I'd have loved to have seen a two-hander with them yelling, then crying, then burying the hatchet but then we wouldn't have had Ungrateful Bitch Karen. It's too bad Rebekah's contract ran out before Dean's (Belinda was brought back to facilitate his departure).

Hmmm, the timing is just too close, it has to be deliberate. it's like they almost pass each other on the way in/out of town! I am sure if the writers wanted to, they could have brought Belinda in a little earlier and had some resolution between Karen and Sophie. I can only assume, for whatever reason, they weren't interested in telling that story, so deliberately waited for Sophie to leave so they focus solely on Karen/Blake/The Stewarts. Definitely a wasted opportunity though.

It's like when Haydn returned in 1994, they totally brush over the fact that he left because Michael took Miss Crawford's side over his, and instead re-write history that he was a difficult teen going through teenage rebellion and that he's grown up now.

Quinn's lack of return or mentions has got to be one of the silliest things in H&A's history. The storyline ended on a cliffhanger with Quinn fleeiing back to America and surely was meant to be resolved at some point? If not - what the hell? And if so - why wasn't it?

I don't mind Bridget not appearing again because she wasn't likeable and I never found her very believable as Ailsa's sister. However... I did find it noticeable that neither she nor Emma were ever mentioned again. Even recently in the early years, Teresa asks Ailsa if she's had dealings with Donald as a headmaster. Ailsa mentions Curtis, Blake and Karen going to Summer Bay High, but no mentioned at all of own niece!

Missed opportunity... the Stalker storyline with Peter receiving emails from TT - Tracy Thompson. Sooooo should have been Tracy Turner.

That can be said for many other shows as well. I agree with the opinion expressed yet as I come to learn from people who were "behind the scenes' and "talked" to some stars people move on despite being begged offered and being loved by fans,

I guess that's why many have fan fiction on forums.

Yes many shows want to have the "IT" couple yet they many reasons actors leave.

^I feel like they were planning a Sophie / Karen reconciliation - but Rebekah wanted out as soon as possible. That's certainly the way it seemed on screen with her seemingly in the midst of a huge storyline (giving Tamara up) in the 1992 finale, and then leaving the show within a few weeks of the 1993 season. Her farewell all seemed very rushed - and that was disappointing. I wish she had stuck around a bit longer just for a better farewell.

Archived