1990 Episode Discussion

Guest Ryan

I can remember one of Sally's boyfriends calling Pippa a b*tch in the mid-90s, around 1995(well, sort of, it was more of a verb than a noun), but that shocked me at the time(I was young and innnocent)so it was probably unusual.To be honest, I probably wouldn't even notice if they used it nowadays.

Seen up to 460 so got a couple more to catch up on.Maybe it's the nostalgia talking but I did find myself grinning when Sophie first turned up:She was still in the show when I started watching so it feels like we're heading in that direction.Although she's clearly cut from the Bobby/Emma surly-teen-who's-going-to-turn-good mould(nurture's won out for the Simpson girls?), I don't think there's too many teens:A year previous there was basically only Steven of high school age and a year on(much as with the 2011 cast)all the current ones will have left school, so they did really need some fresh blood.Don't think Rebekah's acting's particularly bad:She was doing the usual television "bad acting" whilst conning Marilyn but that was probably deliberate.Whilst I smiled a bit at Sophie's surliness, it's interesting that there's already signs that she isn't happy with her life or living with Al but hasn't got any better options.Not sure when Ailsa went from the one who's always suspicious of the dodgy characters to "Trust everyone":While she's right to encourage Bobby to give Sophie a chance, whatever Sophie's motives, and I understand her thinking Al deserves a second chance given her history, it seems very strange that she's completely oblivious to how smarmy he is and just thinks him pleasant.

It really doesn't help my poor brain that Sally seems to have grown up a bit since she came back this year.It's stuck halfway between "Cute kid" and "I want to marry that girl."Hey, we were both 14 when I first saw her...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah at the moment Sally is really becoming more like... Sally - as we knew her later on. I've always enjoyed her friendship with Lance and I love watching their scenes together. I also laughed out loud when she bent her spoon as a threat to Martin as he sat there in his hospital gown?! haha

Its been brilliant to re watch Sophie arrive, shes a favorite. I've pretty much forgotten most of what we are watching currently. Like someone said previously, watching the show is true escapism.

I also noticed that Sally seemed to have grown a bit since the season return. It was really odd. I think she's great at the moment, Kate is a very natural actress given her age at the time. I would even go as far as saying she's better than some of the adults :huh: I think the writers have done really well not to make her an annoying little brat. She did seem like a brat during the Aunty Louise story but since then I've grown to like her a lot.

Breaking the spoon was great. I wish Lance would get a haircut, he looks like a tramp at the moment.

Not sure when Ailsa went from the one who's always suspicious of the dodgy characters to "Trust everyone":While she's right to encourage Bobby to give Sophie a chance, whatever Sophie's motives, and I understand her thinking Al deserves a second chance given her history, it seems very strange that she's completely oblivious to how smarmy he is and just thinks him pleasant.

Ailsa changes so much in the 90s. Still a great character, but that awesome headstrong woman we met in the 1988 series never really comes back.

I still stand by what I said about Rebekah's acting (and not her fake acting with Marilyn). That's just my personal opinion. But as I said before I still like Sophie and Rebekah Elmaloglou. She is a favourite character of mine. Doesn't mean I have to think she's perfect :D

What am I loving absolutely most about the Early Years right now? No Braxtons or River Boys!!!! And we've got 21 whole years until they show up! :lol:

Breaking the spoon was great. I wish Lance would get a haircut, he looks like a tramp at the moment.

I agree Lance does need a haircut espicially since he works in the Hotdog van. It unhygenic he could at least tie his hair back or get it cut..

What am I loving absolutely most about the Early Years right now? No Braxtons or River Boys!!!! And we've got 21 whole years until they show up! :lol:

I love the thought of having archived every episode of Home and Away if 7Two keeps airing the episodes for the next 20 years. Who knows, maybe they will start airing two eps a day :D

BTW It's a shame to hear that Ailsa never goes back to her feisty self :(

I've mentioned the week that Meg dies as being interesting, as that's the week Sons and Daughters finishes.

Jason's dad is the one I'm not convinced with actually at the moment, almost seems overly-theatrical with him continually grinning like a Cheshire cat. Liked Doug Willis though.

What am I loving absolutely most about the Early Years right now? No Braxtons or River Boys!!!! And we've got 21 whole years until they show up! laugh.gif

Agree!! I'm just loving the whole Early Years episodes. Except I didn't love that horrible Pippa/Zac storyline and the Rory one.

Lance does need a haircut. He needs to grow up a bit though, both he and Martin. I laughed when Sally threatened Martin with the bent spoon.

Once again, love Fisher and Celia Stewart. it really is a shame that

she leaves

I know it might sound pathetic, but earlier today I was watching the end of year 1990 opening titles and

without Celia there I felt slightly physically sick. I know that's pathetic, but I can't help but feel that losing her is like taking the heart away from the show right now.

Unbelievable that they never brought her back as a regular!

Archived