1990 Episode Discussion

Guest Ryan

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it might sound pathetic, but earlier today I was watching the end of year 1990 opening titles and

without Celia there I felt slightly physically sick. I know that's pathetic, but I can't help but feel that losing her is like taking the heart away from the show right now.

Unbelievable that they never brought her back as a regular!

Think they might have brought her back in 2000 if Lyn Collingwood didn't agree to become a regular.

Yeah I think you're right. I way prefer Celia to Colleen though!

Thanks for the explanation, Ryan. :)

Me too. Celia is still gossipy but not as bad as Colleen though.

I felt slightly physically sick. I know that's pathetic, but I can't help but feel that losing her is like taking the heart away from the show right now.

Me too. And I keep saying this but Celia is the best character there at the moment with Fisher being a close second.

Me too. And I keep saying this but Celia is the best character there at the moment with Fisher being a close second.

I know what you mean and I will also never understand why Morag - a fantastic character who is clearly great fun to write and who to this day people campaign to make a regular -seems to hold no interest to the writers for the next 11 years

(despite a short stint in 1993).

I remember all through the 90s I kept waiting in vain for her to re-appear and couldn't understand why the writers seemed to have forgotten such a powerful character existed.

I felt slightly physically sick. I know that's pathetic, but I can't help but feel that losing her is like taking the heart away from the show right now.

ITA. I think Celia, Fisher, Ailsa and Bobby are the best characters from the original cast list. I do wonder whether Celia was axed or not, and whether the producers have axed her to come back permanently since 1990 but perhaps Fiona Spence wasn't interested?

Colleen feels like a gimmick a lot of the time and the residents treat her like a joke. Celia was more well-rounded. I agree about Morag too. Ubelievable that she could have been permanent all this time and they didn't bother.

Who is candidate for weakest character/cast member at this point in time? I'd go for Viv personally...

ITA. I think Celia, Fisher, Ailsa and Bobby are the best characters from the original cast list. I do wonder whether Celia was axed or not, and whether the producers have axed her to come back permanently since 1990 but perhaps Fiona Spence wasn't interested?

Colleen feels like a gimmick a lot of the time and the residents treat her like a joke. Celia was more well-rounded. I agree about Morag too. Ubelievable that she could have been permanent all this time and they didn't bother.

Who is candidate for weakest character/cast member at this point in time? I'd go for Viv personally...

I have read an interview with Fiona Spence taken back in 1989. And from it I understood that she planned to stay in the show until it finishes, so I think she was axed, unless she thought the show would finish at the end of 1989 and when she discoverd that it will continue through 1990 decided to quit.

I agree with everything that you've said about Celia. When the show first started I thought she was going to be arrogant and very unpleasent woman. But as the series went I discovered that I was wrong and she quickly became one of my favourite characters.

I don't think it's very ture that they treat her like a joke. I think they treat her like an annoying-in-your-face Grandma.

As a matter of fact, I think Colleen is considered more popular by the residents than Celia because I have noticed that teens like Carly were very rude to Celia and treat her like a joke. Whereas with Colleen, I have noticed teens like Ruby and April seem to respect her.

I like Celia but I prefer Colleen. Colleen gossips more then Celia, but Celia's a lot more nosey.

Very complicated thread with two members having near identical avatars!

Fiona Spence did do a Prisoner musical (sounds incredibly ****e, but whatever) in 1990 I believe, because there's an interview with Richard and Judy on Youtube.

Two years is the same length of time she played Vera Bennett however so maybe like how they say don't stay too long playing The Doctor, don't stay too long playing Aussie soap characters.

Archived