1990 Episode Discussion

Guest Ryan

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, Andrew really is surplus to requirements at the moment.

Was anyone else really shocked when Al said to Sophie "You stupid b*tch" - is it a time thing, as I'm sure that wouldn't get pst the censors today. Was it less offensive in those days?!

Was anyone else really shocked when Al said to Sophie "You stupid b*tch" - is it a time thing, as I'm sure that wouldn't get pst the censors today. Was it less offensive in those days?!

It's not the first (or last) time they have used that word in the early years (Bobby called Morag a bitch a few weeks ago). It's not that the word was less offensive then, it's just that the show is slightly more gritty. As we move into the 90s there is a noticable movement away from grit and realism and it all becomes a bit more "fluffy". I generally think of this time to be around the time they change the style of opening credits to the more colourful ones.

As for Andrew Foley, although I don't really like him, I don't understand why the writers haven't used him. In a show full of hormone filled angst ridden teens, a character who is a councellor could have provided so many good scenes, but he never really got involved with the teens or their troubles, or if he did it was only to a superficial extent. The most confusing thing is that after they write him out, they replace him with Grant Mitchell who pretty much fulfills the same role.

I dont get why Andrew wasn't just written out with Stacey.

I don't think Rebekah's acting at the moment is all that much different to how she acts later on, maybe a little more strict with her pronunciations of words but I really dont think shes the worst actor so far in the series, I'd say that probably goes to some of the guest characters from SBH.

It will be interesting to watch how the show started changing throughout 1990, although the changes we see to the show throughout this year really took place during 1989.

Like beau_t said, I think the more gritty words like 'bitch' and 'slag' were phased out during the early 1990's, probably around 1991.

Yeah, Andrew really is surplus to requirements at the moment.

I don't get shocked when I hear b*tch said.Compared to some of the other words said in tv shows and movies these days it is not that bad.I am so used to it.I can understand newer viewers of the early years episodes being shocked though.H&A really is a totally different show these days.It's kinda ironic H&A is a PG rated show now and they actually could use that word if they wanted to.The rules were obviously alot less strict 20 years ago for a G rated show at the time being allowed to use that language.They wouldn't be able to get away with it these days.

I dont get why Andrew wasn't just written out with Stacey.

I don't think Rebekah's acting at the moment is all that much different to how she acts later on, maybe a little more strict with her pronunciations of words but I really dont think shes the worst actor so far in the series, I'd say that probably goes to some of the guest characters from SBH.

It will be interesting to watch how the show started changing throughout 1990, although the changes we see to the show throughout this year really took place during 1989.

Like beau_t said, I think the more gritty words like 'bitch' and 'slag' were phased out during the early 1990's, probably around 1991.

I think Andrew should have just gone with Stacey too.He won't be around much longer with Grant about to arrive to take his place.

Rebekah was very young at the time.She was still learning.I have seen worse actors and some of them alot older than what she was at the time.

Archived