Are Five the right people to show H&A anymore?

Guest James Martin

It's strange, because when I lived I London it seemed like Five were promoting the hell out of the show. All those painfully bad ads with the entire cast saying, "No worries!" (I'm Australian and have never said that phrase in my life.)

That was almost 5 years ago. The title of the thread is "Are Five the right people to show H&A anymore ?" Nowadays they do give it some promotion (more than ITV) but still very little.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's strange, because when I lived I London it seemed like Five were promoting the hell out of the show. All those painfully bad ads with the entire cast saying, "No worries!" (I'm Australian and have never said that phrase in my life.)

2ND gulf war is IRAQ

Jane

(Hubby is old enough to remember first, although I'm not)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:huh:

You can't remember it?

I was very young, but we were making signs and protesting and things. My little brother was too, and he was only seven turning eight in that year. It was in 1991.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No I must of been out playing football or climbing trees. That was normal in my area

Jane

personally i dont know what youre all talking about. Im a family affairs fan as well as a home and away fan. Family affairs was supposed to be five's flagship soap. it gt no ads, no indents, no nothing.

Home and away gets ads on a regular basis, members of the cast introduce the show, they have those home and away indents where tasha rubs her ice cream on the screen and it spells out five.

yes, five are doing a good job, they wont ruin a show tht helped esculate the channel, five would be nowhere without the injection of home and away into its schedule.

Weird you should say that. I was *always* seeing Family Affairs ads on Five. And not only promos made up from clips, but specially filmed promos for certain storylines using characters walking along the street, voiceovers etc. Quite expensive looking promos. I saw them for Family Affairs all the time. Add to this that at the end of H&A episode they always promoted the next episode of Family Affairs, rather than what was going to happen tomorrow on H&A.

Most fans agree that the promos and idents which Five do occasionally make for H&A are pointless. They do nothing to promote the show, the characters, or the storylines. All they really promote is the beach setting.

You don't know what we're talking about? Dude, I have NO idea what you're talking about.

To be honest, I don't watch much TV other than Home & Away, so I don't notice if a show receives a lot of promotion time or whatever. I don't watch anything else on Five, I turn on the TV at 6pm for H&A, sometimes if I'm feeling lazy I'll stay put and watch Joey afterwards, I never see the adversts on Five or any other channels other than a few channels on Sky, so even if Home & Away was getting promos between every show I wouldn't know about it.

My point is that H&A has a huge fanbase here, we all know the show is on and we all watch it without being reminded by having adverts shoved in our faces, so I really don't see the problem. I used to get really pissed off when I watched Neighbours and the BBC would always drop the show for bank holidays and sporting events and stuff. I'd rather the show was on a less popular channel, that way it doesn't have to compete with the likes of the Olympics and the World Cup and all that crap that I don't watch anyway. H&A probably wouldn't get much promotion on the BBC either because they have so many other successful shows it would just be a minor show that was filling an empty timeslot, which is why I'm pretty happy to have it on Five instead.

I used to get bothered that the TV mags hardly ever mention Home & Away, but since I've discovered this site, I don't read the TV guides anymore, so it doesn't matter :)

Yeah I used to read Inside Soap every fornight in the 90s. But now with the internet and sites like this there isn't really much need to, especially since it hardly covers H&A anymore anyway. Last year I think I only bought it a couple of times when I needed something to read on the train.

Well, who else could show it? The producers of neighbours would be unhappy if the bbc started with H+A, and neighbours is an important show to the beeb, ITV treated the show like crap, and all of C4s shows on around the time H+A would be on- Countdown, Deal or no Deal, R+J, the newly signed Paul O Grady, the simpsons, hollyoaks, C4 news- are all on long term contracts and could not be moved for H+A.

Also I believe I read on teletext that five is now the only channel in the UK allowed to show new episodes of H+A, around the time the contract was 1st signed. We are kind of stuck with them. And I do not actually mind that much.

Edit: though ironically ironically enough, there was an article on the mediaguardian 'site about O Grady jumping ship last week, which appeared to imply ITV regreted the loss of home and away.

Archived