Are Five the right people to show H&A anymore?

Guest James Martin

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The channels will be on Freeview when they launch

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not necessarily. I found another forum last night that said that they were in a war with channel 4 to get the slot for an extra channel. They also said that ofcom have comissioned a five.3

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=303964 there we go

That was late November, since then.....

Five paid £20m for Top Up stake.

09 December 2005 15:21

Five paid £20m for its 20% stake in Top Up TV - valuing the pay-TV platform

Five paid £20m for its 20% stake in Top Up TV - valuing the pay-TV platform at £100m, it has emerged, writes Susan Thompson. The deal, struck on 18 November, was described by Five as a "strategic investment" which would allow the terrestrial broadcaster to kickstart its multichannel strategy but further details were not revealed.

However, Broadcast has now learnt that the £20m deal will give Five the ability to launch a Freeview slot in the first half of next year.

and.....

Five plans second spinoff channel

Friday, December 9 2005, 11:40 GMT -- by Neil Wilkes

Five is developing not one, but two spinoff channels for launch early next year, according to C21.

The stations have the working titles Five.2 and Five.3 and are expected to be available across all digital TV platforms.

Details of the two channels will be announced in the New Year but Five.2 is likely to be a general entertainment offering with a Milkshake-branded kids block.

Possibities for Five.3 include a movies channel or an ITV2-style, female-skewed lifestyle channel.

But there's different rumours going all around at the moment so who knows! :wink:

That was late November, since then.....

Five paid £20m for Top Up stake.

09 December 2005 15:21

Five paid £20m for its 20% stake in Top Up TV - valuing the pay-TV platform

Five paid £20m for its 20% stake in Top Up TV - valuing the pay-TV platform at £100m, it has emerged, writes Susan Thompson. The deal, struck on 18 November, was described by Five as a "strategic investment" which would allow the terrestrial broadcaster to kickstart its multichannel strategy but further details were not revealed.

However, Broadcast has now learnt that the £20m deal will give Five the ability to launch a Freeview slot in the first half of next year.

and.....

Five plans second spinoff channel

Friday, December 9 2005, 11:40 GMT -- by Neil Wilkes

Five is developing not one, but two spinoff channels for launch early next year, according to C21.

The stations have the working titles Five.2 and Five.3 and are expected to be available across all digital TV platforms.

Details of the two channels will be announced in the New Year but Five.2 is likely to be a general entertainment offering with a Milkshake-branded kids block.

Possibities for Five.3 include a movies channel or an ITV2-style, female-skewed lifestyle channel.

But there's different rumours going all around at the moment so who knows! :wink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So what you are saying is even though it might be on freeview it will probably be on Top Up TV and so 90% of freeview viewers are screwed anyways.

After reading 5 have cancelled the omnibus I have am now VERY ANGRY with them. Maybe it should move to a channel that loves its shows. I would say Channel 4 but they scrapped Brookside which was the best English soap.

Boo Channel 5 Boo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I totally agree if they can do it to Brookie they can do it to H&A, they dont deserve it and FIVE cutting out the omnibus edition really sucks :angry:

Don't throw things at me but.. I always thought the UK viewers got spoiled by Five. I never really understood why they did a repeat the day after, and then an omnibus?

Maybe it's because they don't do these things in my monkey country, although we do get the repeat the day after, but that's just some random information :wink:

That's a good point Yannick. I know a lot of people watch the omnibus because they can't catch the eps in the week, but a show would never been on three times on any of the other channels. Personally I think it would be better if they cut the lunchtime repeat rather than the omnibus, but we can't really complain that much.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread but personally I think FIVE have done a much better job with showing Home and Away than ITV ever did.

ITV used to cut it to bits, dropped it whenever it suited them and hardly ever promoted it. FIVE do give it some promotion and have kept cuts to a minimum until recently. On ITV its wasnt even networked until the final year or so when all regions had it at 5.05pm, before that it was all over the place at 5.10pm, 6.00pm or 6.30pm in some regions.

It's strange, because when I lived I London it seemed like Five were promoting the hell out of the show. All those painfully bad ads with the entire cast saying, "No worries!" (I'm Australian and have never said that phrase in my life.)

2ND gulf war is IRAQ

Jane

(Hubby is old enough to remember first, although I'm not)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:huh:

You can't remember it?

I was very young, but we were making signs and protesting and things. My little brother was too, and he was only seven turning eight in that year. It was in 1991.

Archived