Are Five the right people to show H&A anymore?

Guest James Martin

It was on at 6, then they moved it to 5 if I remember rightly.

I don't think Five's treatment of the show is as bad as ITV's. ITV moved it around and seemed to put it on only when they felt like it. I'd much rather they cut little bits out than whole episodes. The only reason it got more publicity with ITV was because it's a more popular channel, not because they did anything in particular to publicise it. With Five we get it five days a week, even on bank holidays, which is more than Neighbours gets on the BBC. Plus they don't take it off for weeks over the holidays, or for sporting events, and we get regular repeats and an omnibus. It would be lovely if they could get more media coverage and the like but apart from that I'm happy. :D

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evening screening times on ITV:

MOST REGIONS:

5.10pm

Exceptions:

CENTRAL:

6.30pm, switching to 6.00pm in the early 1990s.

BORDER:

6.30pm

TSW:

3.25pm, moved to 5.10 when Westcountry took over the channel in 1993

THAMES & CARLTON LONDON:

6.00pm

All regions switched to a networked 5pm showing in March 1999.

The lunchtime show depended on which region you were in. Originally most showed it at 12.30pm, until the ITN News moved to extend its coverage during the First Gulf War. At this point it was 1.20pm. During 1992/3 most regions went for a 1.15pm showing, Central showed it at 1.45pm.

A networked 1.25pm showing came in in September 1993, moving to 1pm somewhere in the late 90s... I believe some regions may have gone for 1.30pm though - possibly Scottish and Carlton London.

It was shown every day with the exception of Bank Holidays and Christmas. The odd sporting event also took it off along with a short Friday-dropping period in 1998, to bridge a dangerously narrow gap with Australia.

Yeah, I live in the central region so it was 6pm until 1999. And I still think that Five mess around with it a lot less than ITV used to. During the time in 1998 when they were getting too close to Australian eps it would be shown 4 times most weeks, but occasionally they'd put an extra ep on Friday, so you never knew when it would be on.

Evening screening times on ITV:

MOST REGIONS:

5.10pm

Exceptions:

CENTRAL:

6.30pm, switching to 6.00pm in the early 1990s.

BORDER:

6.30pm

TSW:

3.25pm, moved to 5.10 when Westcountry took over the channel in 1993

THAMES & CARLTON LONDON:

6.00pm

All regions switched to a networked 5pm showing in March 1999.

The lunchtime show depended on which region you were in.  Originally most showed it at 12.30pm, until the ITN News moved to extend its coverage during the First Gulf War.  At this point it was 1.20pm.  During 1992/3 most regions went for a 1.15pm showing, Central showed it at 1.45pm.

A networked 1.25pm showing came in in September 1993, moving to 1pm somewhere in the late 90s... I believe some regions may have gone for 1.30pm though - possibly Scottish and Carlton London.

It was shown every day with the exception of Bank Holidays and Christmas.  The odd sporting event also took it off along with a short Friday-dropping period in 1998, to bridge a dangerously narrow gap with Australia.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Granada originally showed it at 6pm, moving it to 5.10pm in 1993.

Thames/Carlton showed it at around 6pm in the early and mid-90s.

Actually, in the mid-90s the luchtime show wasn't networked; regions showed it any time between 12.55pm and about 2.50pm!

On a related note, I have heard that Five have dropped the omnibus altogether, this Saturday's being the last!

Archived