Characters that felt lost once their family or makeshift family left ?,

j.laur5

Characters that felt lost once their family left.

Sasha-Once her family all left, she seemed lost other than dating Matt. 

Ziggy-Once her family left I really felt she seemed sidelined other than on and off relationships with Tane and Dean and really felt she stayed on show too long. 

Bella -She really felt lost as character once Colby was gone. They tried making Dean a substitute big brother but that really felt very forced at times. Despite issues Colby and Bella had they had amazing chemistry as siblings and if writers had not  messed up Colby character so much he might of be able to have stayed longer and Bella would had her  big brother to turned to with her photograph  career   dramas and her problems with Nikau. 

Dean-After Colby and Willow were gone he felt lost without his close friends  and he never fitted in with anyone else in friendship department even though they tried making him become friends with other male characters. I really did think Dean, like Ziggy, stayed on the show for too long. 

Spoiler

Tane-Now that Nikau has gone he feels lost and especially after the break up with Flick. Tane was like a father to Nikau. 

• j.laur5 changed the title to Characters that felt lost once their family or makeshift family left ?,

A few come to mind 

The first is one you mentioned Tane, I feel like since Nikau left he's been lost and not the same person he once was when surrounded by his family

Another one is Ric Dalby, I feel like after losing Flynn he felt lost in some ways, he acted out more after Flynn died them he did when Flynn was alive to guide him.

The final one that comes to mind is Leah I feel like after Miles, Vj and Hunter all left she changed as a person and isn't the same person as she was when they were around.

Sasha and Ziggy were the two that sprung to mind for me as well. They jumped through hoops to keep Sasha on the show, messing up several other characters in the process, when it would have been best to have her leave with her family. I think Ziggy had actually been suffering ever since Coco left, since it left her with no-one to play off during Ben and Maggie's troubles, and then Ben and Maggie leaving as well just turned her into a generic 20-something at best.

The two that spring to mind for me: 

• Joel Nash - I'm assuming the producers had already decided that Joel was leaving at the time Natalie, Tom and foster daughter Justine were written out, but it felt like the writers weren't really invested in the character after that point. He sold the caravan park to move in with Vinnie (I think the Nash family owned the house though, but it still an odd living arrangement?), and then was paired off with Judith, who was equally at a loose end following Edward's exit. Technically he still had Gypsy, but she seemed to really come into her own following the family departures, whereas Joel was just sidelined. That probably comes down to the fact the producers had already made the decision about Joel, whereas Gypsy was pretty much the most popular character at that point, so the producers wanted her at the forefront of things. 
  • Alf Stewart in the early 2000s - he lost Ailsa, Mitch and Duncan in the space of less than a year, then he just lived in the flat above the Beachside Diner for a few years before moving into Summer Bay House following Flynn's death, when he started to actually have a purpose again. I know Seb moved in after Fisher left, but that felt more like a convenience thing to keep Seb in the show, rather than it actually about giving Alf someone to bounce off or acknowledging the connection between Alf and Seb (Alf was Seb's great-uncle)

Just thought of another one and it was only really for the last month and a bit of her stint however Ricky felt lost for me after Kyle left, it wasn't really until Brax came back for her that she didn't feel lost again and if I'm honest all the times she was with Nate she felt like a very lost character to me

I think Sally felt lost post-Pippa’s departure until they started using her as a vehicle for bringing back characters, what made her still work is that she never really had a group she comfortably sat in outside of her household so she could work with almost anyone, but she did just feel like she was treading water.

4 hours ago, c120701 said:

I think Sally felt lost post-Pippa’s departure until they started using her as a vehicle for bringing back characters, what made her still work is that she never really had a group she comfortably sat in outside of her household so she could work with almost anyone, but she did just feel like she was treading water.

I remember she moved in with Vinnie and possibly some others like Jesse and James, but I don't recall her stories at that time other than getting shot and a love triangle with Vinnie and Justine. I'm sure she would have done more though. 

At what point did she move from that house into the share house that would later become the Hunter house?

She didn't start teaching until the early 2000s, and Flynn didn't arrive until 2001. I enjoyed the Sally/Leah/Shauna trio too, but again, that didn't happen until 2000. 

9 hours ago, adam436 said:

I remember she moved in with Vinnie and possibly some others like Jesse and James, but I don't recall her stories at that time other than getting shot and a love triangle with Vinnie and Justine. I'm sure she would have done more though. 

At what point did she move from that house into the share house that would later become the Hunter house?

She didn't start teaching until the early 2000s, and Flynn didn't arrive until 2001. I enjoyed the Sally/Leah/Shauna trio too, but again, that didn't happen until 2000. 

There was the Sean mess, The Webcam business... That's sbout it. Sal was basically focused on her first few years of Uni around that time!

17 hours ago, adam436 said:

You kind of answered your own question: Shauna and Leah were Sally's first housemates in the "girls' house" when she moved there in 2000.

• Thanks 1

I definitely think Tane and Felcity since they got married their spark of a easy going couple has gone now as I said before their characters that don’t need to get married to be together 

I would say Alf nowadays he doesn’t really do much other than bully John I think maybe they need to think of a meaningful exit story for Alf now maybe