Does anyone else want a break from crime?

project90

1 minute ago, Skylover said:

yet this is a show that supposedly has a good grip on morality these days? 

Sometimes the moral thing to do is not the legal thing. There are several reasons why that is the right thing to do. Just as there is a difference between justice and revenge

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, harrietjames said:

Sometimes the moral thing to do is not the legal thing. There are several reasons why that is the right thing to do. Just as there is a difference between justice and revenge

It’s definitely not the right thing to do. There is no possible way of saying this is ‘the moral thing’.

8 minutes ago, Skylover said:

It’s definitely not the right thing to do. There is no possible way of saying this is ‘the moral thing’.

I've posted in the wk 2 (Aussie) thread why this is a good thing.  Sure there are some better potential outcomes, but most of the alternatives are far worse.

12 minutes ago, harrietjames said:

I've posted in the wk 2 (Aussie) thread why this is a good thing.  Sure there are some better potential outcomes, but most of the alternatives are far worse.

Well I’ve just had a look and I think you might have been watching Home and Away too much if you think 3 people committing criminal acts is a good thing. As far as I’m concerned Robbo dying isn’t particularly a bad thing. Remember he was hired to kill Kat. Then criminal Ash can be sent to the slammer for life as he should be.

8 minutes ago, Skylover said:

Well I’ve just had a look and I think you might have been watching Home and Away too much if you think 3 people committing criminal acts is a good thing. As far as I’m concerned Robbo dying isn’t particularly a bad thing. Remember he was hired to kill Kat. Then criminal Ash can be sent to the slammer for life as he should be.

I have been watching since day 1... But that's not relevant.

There are many legal acts which are immoral and moral acts which are illegal. A criminal act can be the better option morally. Just because it is legal doesn't make it right.

I live in a country that doesn't have capital punishment - my society believes that it's not appropriate to kill a killer.   I also live in a country settled by starving people who stole a loaf of bread. Bushranger, Ned Kelly, is part of our folk lore.

Doctors have a moral obligation to treat patients. Ash should pay for crimes he has committed, but also be prevented from committing others. Revenge won't make everything better.

11 hours ago, Skylover said:

No, it’s actually what the writers intended, it was the whole purpose of him having a brain tumour - to effectively wipe out what he had done up until that point. Just because someone doesn’t show any symptoms for years doesn’t mean they don’t have one.

As for Kim, it’s clear the writers intended her to at least be of legal age, perhaps they made a mistake, but they haven’t intended for Paul to be a statutory rapist.

The whole purpose of him having a brain tumour was to turn him good so they could keep him around for longer, then they had him act exactly the same after it was removed, proving that it wasn't affecting his behaviour.(Unlike John, who went back to being the good person he'd been before he started showing symptoms once it was removed.)Paul tried to have his criminal record wiped because of his years-later brain tumour diagnosis and it was thrown out of court because there was no evidence the brain tumour caused his crimes, completely negating that argument.

The writers were clearly aware Kim was underage and tried to cover it by having Paul say he thought she was older than she was.Guess, to coin a phrase, no-one asked to see a birth certificate in the 80s.

I'm not saying Home and Away is perfect but I do think it's been trying to do better recently.I'm willing to see how storylines play out and what the consequences will be rather than say the show's nothing but crime because of an episode seen in isolation.

3 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

The whole purpose of him having a brain tumour was to turn him good so they could keep him around for longer, then they had him act exactly the same after it was removed, proving that it wasn't affecting his behaviour.(Unlike John, who went back to being the good person he'd been before he started showing symptoms once it was removed.)Paul tried to have his criminal record wiped because of his years-later brain tumour diagnosis and it was thrown out of court because there was no evidence the brain tumour caused his crimes, completely negating that argument.

Exactly, no evidence. Doesn’t mean that’s not the case. As far as I know, Paul hasn’t committed murder since the brain tumour was removed?

3 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

I’m not saying Home and Away is perfect but I do think it's been trying to do better recently.I'm willing to see how storylines play out and what the consequences will be rather than say the show's nothing but crime because of an episode seen in isolation.

I honestly don’t know how you come to this conclusion but you don’t have to see an episode in isolation to know there is a heavy focus on crime, which is evident from the things I’ve listed above.

Archived