How would you define each era?

adam436

I am just curious, how would you define each era of the show both in terms of characteristics and the periods? Would you group the years differently and do you think there are more definitive characteristics of each that made the era good/bad? 

1988 - 1990: For me, this is classic H&A. There was Tom and Pippa and the original foster children. It had the right balance of comedy and drama and it was a "simpler" time. I guess it ended with the mass exodus in 1990 (Tom, Celia, Lance, Martin, Viv, Emma, Pippa #1, Steven). I also feel the comedy element got list somewhere in here and it was never really seen again

1990 - 1994: I've not seen this era in its entirety (I stopped watching the Early Years reruns when the above era ended), but from what I've seen, it's sort of felt like a transitional period between "classic H&A") era and the iconic era that followed. I also felt like there were a bunch of short-lived and/or forgettable regulars in this era (Lou, Ryan, Nick, Luke, Roxanne etc.) that it's hard to find a group of characters that define it. In my opinion, the only "classic storylines" in this era were Meg's and Bobby's death and Sophie's teen pregnancy. The rest was pretty forgettable from what I've seen of it/read of that era. 

1994 - Late 1996/early 1997: I'd say this era is primarily defined by both it's teen gang (Selina/Shannon/Curtis/Jack/Sally) and the love story between Shane and Angel. This is certainly a renascence of Classic H&A I guess, and there were many defining moments and storylines such as Michael's and Shane's death, Angel and Shane's wedding, Dodge's return and Steven's relationship with Selina, which I feel like the previous era lacked. 

Late 1996/early 1997 - 2000: I quite enjoyed this era, but I think it lacked defining characteristics and it is not considered the most popular by many viewers (certainly not compared to 1994-1997). I guess there weren't a great deal of memorable or defining moments, but I can only think of one character I disliked in this era (Jesse McGregor!). This era also felt like the end of Home and Away as we knew it: Ailsa was dead, the original Diner and Stewart house were gone and we had a brand new family living in Summer Bay House.

2001 - 2004: The Sutherland years! Need I say more? I also felt like the final episode of 2004 felt like the end of that era, as it all took a dark turn in 2005... 

2005 onward, I'm not that familiar with but in terms of cast changes and the tone of the show (feel free to summarise in more detail), but I'd probably separate it along the lines of: 

2005 - 2008: Sally's years at Summer Bay House. We also had long-running and overused characters like Martha, which from what I've seen heard, was a bit much :P

2008 - 2010: Transitional years where the show didn't seem to know how to define itself or what to do post-Sally. Like, we had the year long mystery and the creeping in of the crime element and there seemed to be quite a few short-lived regulars... 

2011 - 2016: The River Boys years, but within that, I'd also say 2013-2016 is defined largely by its cast, as so many arrived in 2013 and left in 2016. I also found 2013-2016 more watchable than 2011-2013, but I'd still consider it all part of the one era. 

2016 onward: The Morgan years. The crime element from the Braxton year is still there, yet it seems more community-based again.  

I would agree largely, though I might hold off until I have seen some of this year, because it seems like they are trying to reintroduce fostering from the middle of the year onwards as Lucy Addario spoke to TV Tonight, the question and answer are here: 

Alan Bateman conceived a show about foster children in a caravan park. As the show evolves for modern audiences, how does it maintain Bateman’s DNA?

Home And Away is centred around families and fostering is still a part of the show, as you will see later this year. Troubled teens still come to Summer Bay and that is such an important part of the show’s history.

“It’s about finding the balance of light and shade, action and comedy, drama and romance.”

I think Classic Home and Away ran until 1998 honestly, until Pippa left. 1998-2000 was the Nash era, it wasn't as you said as popular as the Classic Era or the "Teen Gang" Era.  The Sutherland era is right, but I would put 2005-10 in the same basket and 2011-end of 2016 in the same basket like you have said, but I would say end of 2016. The Morgan/Astoni Era is not an Era yet to me, as there is much to come in 2018 and it looks like 2018 will largely follow on from 2016 and 17, but be even more community focused.

For me it would be as follows

1988-1991- Classic H&A most of the orginal cast left it 91 and that ended that era.

1992-1994- Transiton from previous era with many iconic characters such as Shane,Shannon,Angel,Sally etc

1995-1997- The mixed era which means it was filled with all different kind of things

1998-2000- The Nash era. A new family running the caravan park meant it was an end of an era as much as I do love the Nash Family. In this time many iconic characters arrived such as Gypsy,Vinnie,Leah. Also in this time we had one orginal depart and that Ailsa and as The Diner and Syewart House burnt down it felt like it was the end of classic H&A.

2000-2004- Sutherland Era. This era was mostly storylines involving the Sdutherland family such as the mineshaft,Dylan saga,Dani's rape and Summer Bay's Romeo and Juliet Kirsty and Kane.

2005-2008-The Stalker and Jack, Martha,Sally back in her family home Era. In this period of time there was the stalker and most of this period of time the show was all about The Jack and Martha story which I did like and unfortuley it all came to an unexpected end when Jack was shot by Angelo in the 2008 finale. Also during this era was Sally running the Summer Bay House/Caravan Park and becoming a foster mum

2009-2011-Drama Era This era for me was filed with quite a bit of drama. (Dont ask me why)

2011-2016-The Braxton Era. In 2011 we were introduced to The Braxton Brothers and most of the storylines during this time were to do with them. Even when Sally came back.

2017-Morgan Era

I always saw 1995 as classic home and away. 2000-2004 was my fav era from the show. Sutherland were my fav nuclear family. Kirsty and Kane my all time fav couple from this show. 

2008 was the last great year from the show. May end my fav year from the show. I remember it for the Aden and Belle relationship. Mostly due to Todd and Jessica's great on screen chemistry. Sally becoming the matrioch of the show. Which now currently trying to make Leah into one. 

2013 was the era that got me into the show again. Maddy and Spencer, Oscar, Evie, Matt, Zac e.t.c. 

2014-2016 was really dominated by the Braxtons. Once Casey died though. The Braxtons felt passé to me. 

2016-2018. Really the Morgan era. With the Astonis now come into the fabric. Really loving the Astonis. Maggie and Ben still have not warmed too. But Ziggy and Coco really loving. 

1988-1991 This was the Original H&A. There was the Fletcher's, Alf, Fisher and the start of the show. It had many fantastic story lines which blended drama, comedy and romance into the show. I guess it stopped in 1991 as @adam436 said with the mass exits in 1990-1991 (Tom, Celia, Lance, Martin, Viv, Emma, Pippa #1, Steven, Matt, Carly, Grant and Ben). It had a homely feel.

1991-1994 The blah period of the show. Forgotten characters such as Lucinda, Simon, Nick, Roxy, Sarah, Tug, Luke, Nathan, Rob and Donna existed in this time and half of them were axed. The important things were the introduction of Shane and Angel, Megs Leukemia, David and Bobby's death, Sophie teen pregnancy, Fins near death experience if I recall and Michael and Pippa splitting up briefly. Everything else was just bleh

1994-1997 The Iconic years featuring Shane and Angel's love story, Shannon's Anorexia and Lesbian relationship, Selina and Saul, Chloe's Rape, and the adventures of the teen gangs (Jack/Curtis/Shannon/Selina/Sally/Chloe and briefly Nelson) and later (Liam/Joey/Stephanie/Casey). Vinnie and Lachie debut and another cull of cast leaving in 1997.

1998-2000 The Nash era. A new family running the caravan park meant it was an end of an era as The Fletchers/Ross family had left. Much as I disliked the Nash Family, i enjoyed the connection with Travis. I disliked the return of Adam but we were introduced back to Colleen. Also in this time we had Ailsa depart and lost the original diner and Stewart House, it felt like it was the end of original H&A. We had Leah and Gypsy debut and Pippa leave as well as Marilyn and another cull of cast in 2000.

2000-2005 Sutherland's :rolleyes: (eye-roll)

2005-2009 Characters like Martha, Tony, Jack, Rachel, The Hunters, Kim, Amanda and the second stint of Josh West, Tasha, Robbie and the end of Josie and Jesses second stint. The Stalker was a memorable storyline that was dark and the show become more enjoyable with all the drama. Sally running the Summer Bay House/Caravan Park and becoming a foster mum to Ric and Cassie and Jack, oh jack and martha who were overused. The introduction of characters for Alfs 60th in 2005, Fishers return in 2007 and then some in 2008 for Sally's departure made the show more life.

2009-2011 Another Transit period, many characters unknown such as Gina, Walker Family, Introduction of John. Don't remember much from the period 

2012-2016, 2018– River Boys and boring. 2013 bought many new faces to the show but all left too.

2016– Morgan/Astoni era with a massive cull of characters (19 regular)

12 hours ago, jakeyy. said:

1988-1991 This was the Original H&A. There was the Fletcher's, Alf, Fisher and the start of the show. It had many fantastic story lines which blended drama, comedy and romance into the show. I guess it stopped in 1991 as @adam436 said with the mass exits in 1990-1991 (Tom, Celia, Lance, Martin, Viv, Emma, Pippa #1, Steven, Matt, Carly, Grant and Ben). It had a homely feel.

1991-1994 The blah period of the show. Forgotten characters such as Lucinda, Simon, Nick, Roxy, Sarah, Tug, Luke, Nathan, Rob and Donna existed in this time and half of them were axed. The important things were the introduction of Shane and Angel, Megs Leukemia, David and Bobby's death, Sophie teen pregnancy, Fins near death experience if I recall and Michael and Pippa splitting up briefly. Everything else was just bleh

1994-1997 The Iconic years featuring Shane and Angel's love story, Shannon's Anorexia and Lesbian relationship, Selina and Saul, Chloe's Rape, and the adventures of the teen gangs (Jack/Curtis/Shannon/Selina/Sally/Chloe and briefly Nelson) and later (Liam/Joey/Stephanie/Casey)

1998-2000 The Nash era. A new family running the caravan park meant it was an end of an era as The Fletchers/Ross family had left. Much as I disliked the Nash Family, i enjoyed the connection with Travis. I disliked the return of Adam but we were introduced back to Colleen. Also in this time we had Ailsa depart and lost the original diner and Stewart House, it felt like it was the end of original H&A. We had Leah and Vinnie debut and Pippa leave as well as Marilyn and another cull of cast in 2000.

2000-2005 Sutherland's :rolleyes: (eye-roll)

2005-2009 Characters like Martha, Tony, Jack, Rachel, The Hunters, Kim, Amanda and the second stint of Josh West, Tasha, Robbie and the end of Josie and Jesses second stint. The Stalker was a memorable storyline that was dark and the show become more enjoyable with all the drama. Sally running the Summer Bay House/Caravan Park and becoming a foster mum to Ric and Cassie and Jack, oh jack and martha who were overused. The introduction of characters for Alfs 60th in 2005, Fishers return in 2007 and then some in 2008 for Sally's departure made the show more life.

2009-2011 Another Transit period, many characters unknown such as Gina, Walker Family, Introduction of John. Don't remember much from the period 

2012-2016, 2018– River Boys and boring. 2013 bought many new faces to the show but all left too.

2016– Morgan/Astoni era with a massive cull of characters (19 regular)

Good summery but Vinnies  debut was 1997. 

On 22 January 2018 at 14:45, Luke39 said:

2014-2016 was really dominated by the Braxtons. Once Casey died though. The Braxtons felt passé to me. 

The core Braxton era was 2011-2014 (maybe early 2015 at the latest), with some remnants of it in late 2015 and 2016.

I would say 

1988-1999 the foster years where the show had a strong focus

2000-2005 the Sutherland years where everything seemed to revolve around that family

2006-present day, the OTT era, 2011-2014 could be a sub-era of the OTT era defined by the Braxtons, or in fact 2011 onward could be defined as the crime era, although this really dates back to the start of the OTT era from 2006 onwards.

Archived