Left Behind (by Jen) - comments

Sid even though he was worried and concerned he came across as a very annoying nagging parent :lol: He was never going to get through to Dex. Casey though his approach was witty cool and comical

Dex's love for April might just give him that extra fight that he needs with whatever is going to happen next. And if nothing drastic happens I think this story might end on a somewhat happy or heart warming note.

Brilliant chapter

Edited by pembie

Was cooooooooooooool that Casey convinced Dex to start living again !!!!

Soooooo many great moments in this chapter, like .......

They will find a way to keep moving forward, he knows they will. But Dex’s family shouldn’t have to.

“I’m not in the mood for putting on pants most days and yet here we are,” Casey counters.

“See, I’m not as dumb as people think I am. And you aren’t as dead as you think you are.”

“Hang on,” Dex says, and he turns back into his room. He quickly goes over to his bookshelf and straightens his action figures, making sure they are perfectly aligned.

Thank you to everyone who has read this. For dealing with my mini crisis and all your cheerleading and comments along the way. I hope you find the ending a fitting way to finish. And please let me know what you think! :)

*Deep breath* Final chapter on the way.

It wasn't quite the ending that I was expecting I thought we were going to find out what happens to Dex.

But the part I have quoted pretty much sums it up nicely. I think you were trying to put across that realising what is important in life and having the people that matter the most to you in moments of life's testing times is the main thing.

Your story was one with a moral or a hidden meaning. I have no idea if you attended that. I hope so because otherwise I'm just sounding silly here :lol:

This car ride home feels like a new start, but also strangely, picking up where they left off. For it was never about crossing things off a list, being terrified of leaving things unfinished, or a fear of failing when he didn’t have time to try again. It was about sticking to his guns and figuring out what being Dex meant. And then realising when you are stronger with someone else, when its okay to ask for help and not have to battle through it on your own.

“You won’t,” April assures him, “I’m never leaving you behind.”

END.

Well done I have enjoyed reading this story thanks Jen :)

Edited by pembie

Jen, your fics are always soooooooo AWESOME !!!! Your use of langauge is .......I completely totally admire it !!!!

In this final chapter of your lastest, i especially liked ........

- the way you inclde the title in a comment that April made

- “If you two could hold your make-up sex until you get home, my stomach and leather interiors would appreciate it,” Casey calls from the front, eyes flicking up and watching them for a second in the mirror.

and i especailly ESPECIALLY liked .......

But even when words would completely slip his mind April knew what he wanted to say. When they were together it always felt like they were connected in some way that was beyond verbal communication. She remembers talking about everything with Dex. Her greatest fears and dreams; their own firsts and lasts. They’d fall asleep together on top of the covers after whispering late into the night, with nothing but a sliver of moonlight illuminating the room. It would always end with them lying side by side, staring up at the ceiling, when the words had run out and nothing but their breaths in perfect synchronicity. But she didn’t need to see or hear Dex to know he was still there.

Many MANY thanks for sharing this fic with us !!!!!!!!!

Edited by JosieTash

I have to admit that, until the penultimate chapter, I was not expecting that ending at all.I don't really know how I feel about it, I'm possibly hamstrung by not being a huge fan of April and Dex as a couple in the show, but it seemed incomplete, like the whole idea of Dexter having cancer was kind of pushed into the background by the romantic plotline, almost like someone hitting the reset button and bringing them back to where they started.That's unduly critical and I'm sorry, you've obviously caught me in the wrong mood.There is an important lesson in there about making the most of whatever life throws at you and not giving up when things are difficult and that's something we should all remember.