Left Behind (by Jen) - comments

I have to admit that, until the penultimate chapter, I was not expecting that ending at all.I don't really know how I feel about it, I'm possibly hamstrung by not being a huge fan of April and Dex as a couple in the show, but it seemed incomplete, like the whole idea of Dexter having cancer was kind of pushed into the background by the romantic plotline, almost like someone hitting the reset button and bringing them back to where they started.That's unduly critical and I'm sorry, you've obviously caught me in the wrong mood.There is an important lesson in there about making the most of whatever life throws at you and not giving up when things are difficult and that's something we should all remember.

No, see this is exactly what I need to hear. This is why I had that minor freak out because I had done something similar in another story and I made it romantic at the last minute, and at the time I wrote it didn't think much of it because to me, :rolleyes: of course April and Dex get back together, but then I got wondering about whether it felt like I'd cheated the end of the story. Like, you've all been amazing in reading and commenting along the way and the bits you liked are the contrast between the April and Dex plots and Dex's own battle. The fact that it wasn't a DexandAprilstory. And I didn't know how I would change it, to make it not the way I always thought it would end. And maybe this is me being presumptuous because I am an avid Apex shipper, so my stories are probably going to be that way. Maybe if I made it longer it would make a difference? Make it more of a slow build of them finding each other again and getting back together. Even though, in my head - and what I had hoped to create in this story - they had never really broken up. They couldn't possibly break up forever, even if they tried.

Red, I completely respect your opinion. And take on board your comment, and will absolutely consider how this effects my future stories. Thanks for sticking with it.

It wasn't quite the ending that I was expecting I thought we were going to find out what happens to Dex.

But the part I have quoted pretty much sums it up nicely. I think you were trying to put across that realising what is important in life and having the people that matter the most to you in moments of life's testing times is the main thing.

Your story was one with a moral or a hidden meaning. I have no idea if you attended that. I hope so because otherwise I'm just sounding silly here :lol:

This car ride home feels like a new start, but also strangely, picking up where they left off. For it was never about crossing things off a list, being terrified of leaving things unfinished, or a fear of failing when he didn’t have time to try again. It was about sticking to his guns and figuring out what being Dex meant. And then realising when you are stronger with someone else, when its okay to ask for help and not have to battle through it on your own.

“You won’t,” April assures him, “I’m never leaving you behind.”

END.

Well done I have enjoyed reading this story thanks Jen :)

Thank you so much, pembie. It makes me completely happy that even though it wasn't the ending you expected, you still got something out of the story. As mentioned above, I second-guessed this ending a little while ago, but stuck with it because I ultimately got to the point where I told the story I wanted to tell. I wanted to tell the story of Dex having to find himself when the thing he had always defined him, wasn't there any more. He had to work out how to be more than just his mind and his wit. It was also about his place in the Walker family, and his tie with April, who, even when they weren't together romantically, always seemed to intertwine.So, thank you again, and I adored hearing your take on the ending.

Jen, your fics are always soooooooo AWESOME !!!! Your use of langauge is .......I completely totally admire it !!!!

In this final chapter of your lastest, i especially liked ........

- the way you inclde the title in a comment that April made

- “If you two could hold your make-up sex until you get home, my stomach and leather interiors would appreciate it,” Casey calls from the front, eyes flicking up and watching them for a second in the mirror.

and i especailly ESPECIALLY liked .......

But even when words would completely slip his mind April knew what he wanted to say. When they were together it always felt like they were connected in some way that was beyond verbal communication. She remembers talking about everything with Dex. Her greatest fears and dreams; their own firsts and lasts. They’d fall asleep together on top of the covers after whispering late into the night, with nothing but a sliver of moonlight illuminating the room. It would always end with them lying side by side, staring up at the ceiling, when the words had run out and nothing but their breaths in perfect synchronicity. But she didn’t need to see or hear Dex to know he was still there.

Many MANY thanks for sharing this fic with us !!!!!!!!!

JosieTash, you are wonderful and your comments always make me smile. I had the title before I had the line and didn't want it to seem shoe-horned in, but I hope the "left behind" theme was becoming more apparent as things progressed, kind of floating to the surface.

Thank you so much also to Sarah and Kristen. You two are so supportive, and I appreciate that :blush: .

I have to admit that, until the penultimate chapter, I was not expecting that ending at all.I don't really know how I feel about it, I'm possibly hamstrung by not being a huge fan of April and Dex as a couple in the show, but it seemed incomplete, like the whole idea of Dexter having cancer was kind of pushed into the background by the romantic plotline, almost like someone hitting the reset button and bringing them back to where they started.That's unduly critical and I'm sorry, you've obviously caught me in the wrong mood.There is an important lesson in there about making the most of whatever life throws at you and not giving up when things are difficult and that's something we should all remember.

No, see this is exactly what I need to hear. This is why I had that minor freak out because I had done something similar in another story and I made it romantic at the last minute, and at the time I wrote it didn't think much of it because to me, :rolleyes: of course April and Dex get back together, but then I got wondering about whether it felt like I'd cheated the end of the story. Like, you've all been amazing in reading and commenting along the way and the bits you liked are the contrast between the April and Dex plots and Dex's own battle. The fact that it wasn't a DexandAprilstory. And I didn't know how I would change it, to make it not the way I always thought it would end. And maybe this is me being presumptuous because I am an avid Apex shipper, so my stories are probably going to be that way. Maybe if I made it longer it would make a difference? Make it more of a slow build of them finding each other again and getting back together. Even though, in my head - and what I had hoped to create in this story - they had never really broken up. They couldn't possibly break up forever, even if they tried.

Red, I completely respect your opinion. And take on board your comment, and will absolutely consider how this effects my future stories. Thanks for sticking with it.

Thanks for those words.I felt bad even while writing that because I knew I'd had a stressful day, come home and read the last chapter, and you'd kind of copped my frustration, in a normal frame of mind I'd probably have just said something like "Interesting ending, thanks for sharing", which is why I tried to end my comment on a positive note.I feel like I should try and say something constructive and I know part of the blame lies with me for focusing on some elements and deliberately ignoring the bits you regarded as important.I mean, I totally get why you went for the big romantic ending, it's as valid a storytelling choice as slowly easing them back into a relationship with more chapters, which is another way you could have gone.I think just adding a bit onto the end resolving the other plotlines, maybe giving the other characters proper last scenes and giving us some idea of how Dexter's illness went, might have helped to satisfy everyone whatever their reasons for reading.But like I said before, your story, completely your choices.And, er, thanks for sharing!

• QUIET ACHIEVER changed the title to Left Behind (by Jen) - comments