Looking at what longstanding characters we have left

Guest gutterboy

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the list below it just shows you just how few people in the show have been there for very long, people always coming and going and it gets a bit annoying..

Alf - 25 Years

Irene - 20 Years

Leah - 13 Years

John Palmer - 7 Years

Bianca - 3 Years (Unless she dies in the blast)

Quite amazing they have been able to keep a hold of Leah for this long seeing as she is the only one in the above list that wouldn't be considered an "older character" apart from Bianca who is only at 3 years.

It's a shame they can't keep hold of more people for longer, but I guess a lot of the younger ones just wanna do their bit and then try and go out and get bigger parts in hollywood or what not.

Not many people "grow up" on the show like Sally did that's for sure.

What about Marylin? and john has been on the show 4 and a half year unless you count his other role in 2006. Heath has been on the show 3 years to

Steve has indicated in recent interviews that he'd love to stay in the show for the foreseeable future.

Whether it's the truth or not we'll wait and see but I know that you're 'dying' to see him leave the show though Light of the Bay :P

I hope he wont leave because some people want to

John Palmer has been in Home and Away for 4 years :)

Yeah, it's a shame that there are hardly any long-standing characters :/. Most of the actors want to go to LA.

Yeah, I didn't think John had been on the show for 7 years haha....... but that's what IMDB said, so that's what I quoted. Guess it started from his role in 2006, which I must of forgot about.

Emily will be there 4 years early next year and does have a 25 year history with the show.

Yeah... I wasn't sure how long she had been back for, didn't think it was that long. My bad. Also I guess the current Roo has been there about 3 years too?

Esther Anderson also loved working in Home and Away yet she felt the need to leave. It would be interesting to see a new character becoming a long term one. Nowadays a recurring character is more expected to last for many years than a regular. Like VJ. Morag was also in this category, but since Lucy Addario took over, she has appeared very rarely.

Yes, Roo's been back 3 years and of course was in it in the 80s played by a different actress.Heath isn't quite there yet, he, Brax and Casey should hit that milestone early next year.

I don't think this is really anything new:Most of the original cast were gone after about two a half years although they did manage to hang onto a few more than the current line-up.Personal preferences aside, expecting Steve Peacocke to buck the trend seems a bit random.I suppose he could end up as another Ada Nicodemou but I'd say there's at least an even chance he'll be gone this time next year.(The way his character is at the moment they're going to need some pretty contrived storytelling to keep him in the show more than a few months.Not that contrived storytelling is all that unlikely.) It's not long since Sonia Todd was being touted as a future mainstay and I always expected Josh Quong Tart to stick around longer than he did.(Resists urge to rant about poor use of Miles in his last year.)

As jodlebirger said, I think the important thing is to make good use of whatever characters you've got.I think the John and Marilyn pairing has a lot of potential but has been very badly paced and plotted, from the standpoint of October 2013 which is how far we've got in the UK we're kind of past the point where they'd logically get together and into it being dragged out for no good reason.

I don't think this is really anything new:Most of the original cast were gone after about two a half years although they did manage to hang onto a few more than the current line-up.Personal preferences aside, expecting Steve Peacocke to buck the trend seems a bit random.I suppose he could end up as another Ada Nicodemou but I'd say there's at least an even chance he'll be gone this time next year.(The way his character is at the moment they're going to need some pretty contrived storytelling to keep him in the show more than a few months.Not that contrived storytelling is all that unlikely.) It's not long since Sonia Todd was being touted as a future mainstay and I always expected Josh Quong Tart to stick around longer than he did.(Resists urge to rant about poor use of Miles in his last year.)

Though from what has been said he isn't leaving, but "being transferred" when they go to prison is usually code for they have left the show. If they wanna get him out of jail thewy will, they always come up with some random reason to get them out of jail when they want to.

Though from what has been said he isn't leaving, but "being transferred" when they go to prison is usually code for they have left the show. If they wanna get him out of jail thewy will, they always come up with some random reason to get them out of jail when they want to.

IsnĀ“t he just on a break from the show while hes filming the new Hercules movie?

John Palmer has been in Home and Away for 4 years :)

Yeah, it's a shame that there are hardly any long-standing characters :/. Most of the actors want to go to LA.

Yeah, I didn't think John had been on the show for 7 years haha....... but that's what IMDB said, so that's what I quoted. Guess it started from his role in 2006, which I must of forgot about.

You may have come to that conclusion since Shane Withington who currently plays John Palmer on the show had played a guest character called Colin who was the pilot missing along with Robbie, Martha, Belle, Kit and Kim when their chopper went down after they were planning to go to the city to receive treatment for recent burns they sustained at Jack and Martha's wedding due to Zoe and Tracy's involvement in ruining the wedding.

John Palmer first appeared in 2009 as a guest character as mentioned earlier.

IsnĀ“t he just on a break from the show while hes filming the new Hercules movie?

Yes

I think there are several long standing/returnee/recurring originals or early days characters around. Alf, Roo, Mazza and Coleen, Morag and Celia dip in and out. Then you have Irene and Leah. H&A has always been a teenage show so it will have a high cast turnover. Neighbours is the same.

Corrie, EastEnders and Home And Away are good for hanging onto 2-5 original/long standing characters even if some have been away for a while. Also they are the 3 most iconic soaps in England and/or Aus, CS and EE in the UK and H&A in Oz.

Archived