Looking at what longstanding characters we have left

Guest gutterboy

Looking at the list below it just shows you just how few people in the show have been there for very long, people always coming and going and it gets a bit annoying..

Alf - 26 Years
Irene - 21 Years
Leah - 14 Years
John Palmer - 5 1/2 Years

Marilyn - 4 1/2 Years (plus earlier stints in the show)

Roo - 4 Years
Bianca - 3 Years (Unless she dies in the blast)

Brax - 3 1/2 Years

Sasha - 3 Years

Heath - 3 1/2 Years

Casey - 3 1/2 Years

Quite amazing they have been able to keep a hold of Leah for this long seeing as she is the only one in the above list that wouldn't be considered an "older character" apart from Bianca who is only at 3 years.

It's a shame they can't keep hold of more people for longer, but I guess a lot of the younger ones just wanna do their bit and then try and go out and get bigger parts in hollywood or what not.

Not many people "grow up" on the show like Sally did that's for sure.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John Palmer has been in Home and Away for 4 years :)

Yeah, it's a shame that there are hardly any long-standing characters :/. Most of the actors want to go to LA.

I think I've said before I think the "one contract on the way to L.A. " approach of the younger cast is the biggest challenge the powers that be face in the development of the show. These days actors don't seem to want to commit to a show for a longer time. Perhaps Steve Peacock may be the exception to that.

This makes really long term story arcs that much more difficult to develop.

This is particularly hard for a young orientated show as a lot of the young actors want to vary their career. Which is perfectly understandable. Perhaps an option for future story arcs is to attempt to increase the average age of the cast as slightly older actors will have had some experience in other projects and are less likely to want to move on.

To be honest I don't see the problem with charachters coming and going. If the storylines and original plot doesn't change too much it will still feel like the same show even with new charachters on. And I do think that new charachters is good for the show, because most of them are going stale after a 2-3 years. But I also do like a few staying longer, and not nessesarily having a lot of storylines, but have a meaning for the summer Bay community. They have had their time with a lot of storylines. That is what making it a good mix, and always have done. Even now in the 2013 season.

But I wish that background stories were more explored like they used to. I really like when a fresh charachter's background is really fleshed out and the charachter slowly find their place in the Bay. And a charachter which stays only for a few years should have a good and gradually developement during his/hers journey on the show. And if they stay longer they need to slowly give them less storylines, but still show their purpose. I do think that both John and Jett are in danger of going stale now. His storyline with Marilyn is just embarrassing and Nina and Jett storyline feels silly and over the top (June 2013 eps).

I don't see Steve sticking around.

You can tell that he's dying to go to L.A.

Wishful thinking colored by a dislike of the character????

I'm prepared to admit I want him to stay because of what he has brought to the show and I like him.

Archived