2000 Episode Discussion

Guest Dan F

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... PARTAH cheers_zpsb318718c.gifyay_zpsc26bcfa4.gif!!

I bought my trusty ol' freeview recorder back when they announced Five Life were showing old episodes, although I swear they were shown in 2006. I get the feeling that they realised that what us UK'ers want are old episodes, even if they can only go back to 2000. Maybe they noticed a few mentioning that they were spending more time promoting Neighbours.

Hopefully they will go further than last time, which I think left it on a cliffhanger of... Jude crashing his motorbike.

... PARTAH cheers_zpsb318718c.gifyay_zpsc26bcfa4.gif!!

I bought my trusty ol' freeview recorder back when they announced Five Life were showing old episodes, although I swear they were shown in 2006. I get the feeling that they realised that what us UK'ers want are old episodes, even if they can only go back to 2000. Maybe they noticed a few mentioning that they were spending more time promoting Neighbours.

Hopefully they will go further than last time, which I think left it on a cliffhanger of... Jude crashing his motorbike.

When Five Life began in October 2006 they announced that they'd be showing old episodes, but then withdrew the comment. They ended up starting to show them in May 2007.

Well, I'll probably watch them even though the prospect of two extra episodes of Home and Away a day to concentrate on leaves me somewhat scared.Guess it's a more sensible place to start than some random episode off the back of a big showdown they're not allowed to show, although it makes the arriving-as-the-party-ends feeling even more pronounced.(Might have been an idea to skip the nostalgiafest and cut straight to the Sutherlands' arrival actually.)But hey, thanks for getting us the info Dan and I suspect we're going to be in here a lot...

Well, I'll probably watch them even though the prospect of two extra episodes of Home and Away a day to concentrate on leaves me somewhat scared.Guess it's a more sensible place to start than some random episode off the back of a big showdown they're not allowed to show, although it makes the arriving-as-the-party-ends feeling even more pronounced.(Might have been an idea to skip the nostalgiafest and cut straight to the Sutherlands' arrival actually.)But hey, thanks for getting us the info Dan and I suspect we're going to be in here a lot...

I don't know. I quite like that they see Sally's non wedding as a starting point and not the Sutherland's arriving, because Sally means a lot more to the show. Plus they are showing the complete non-wedding and in those episodes it is perfectly clear what is happening without watching the build up.

I understand Sally's importance but...I'm not sure if it was more prominent the first time I watched it or in 2007 but, laughable as it might seem over a decade down the line, there's a very real feel about the non-wedding episode that it's the beginning of the end for Home and Away, one last hurrah celebrating past glories before it goes into decline.You have a bunch of old characters turn up and spend an episode reminiscing about the ITV episodes and then they all go and the house is sold and there's pretty much an on-screen acknowledgement that the Fletchers are gone for good, which seemed a bit ironic in 2007 when Sally was back living there but even then it emphasised everything from the actual "early years" that we were never going to get to see.(Well, until 7Two came along.)It's a very odd note to start on and that's the reason why I think the beginning of the Sutherland Era seems a more positive and forward-looking launch point than the dregs of the previous era.

You have a bunch of old characters turn up and spend an episode reminiscing about the ITV episodes and then they all go and the house is sold and there's pretty much an on-screen acknowledgement that the Fletchers are gone for good, which seemed a bit ironic in 2007 when Sally was back living there but even then it emphasised everything from the actual "early years" that we were never going to get to see.(Well, until 7Two came along.)

Funny how we keep going back to it, but Coral mentioned in our interview (and her snippet on the Sally spinoff site) that Kate Ritchie specifically asked her not to move Sally back into Summer Bay House and turn her into Pippa MkII . So I guess at that time there was indeed a feeling around of making it a clean break.

Archived