How old is VJ?

Guest HomeandAwayFS

VJ was born in 2001 to Leah and Vinnie. Now he is in year 8 meaning he is at least 13 which doesn't make sense beause he was born 11 years ago. I know it's a soap opera and that's imminent but I don't know if its just me who is annoyed by this but I find it weird. He is still 11 to me.

I agree. Soap or not, that's no excuse to messing around with ages. I like things like that to be accurate. And its why soaps get bad reputation and appear more tacky than say a drama. They managed to keep Sally and Sam the same age, more or less, when they were growing up so I see no reason why they couldn't have done the same with the other children characters.

VJ was actually born in the 2001 finale, which has the amusing effect that 99% of the time when someone talks about the age VJ should be they get it wrong.To be honest, while I might point it out from time to time, it doesn't really bother me and it's a phenomenon that's hardly confined to soaps, although they seem to get it the most.Every character's age fluctuates wildly, not just the youngest ones, and while the show might have been happy to wait four years for Sally and Sam to start high school, I think every child born on the show who didn't disappear after a few years has been aged up at some point(Duncan, Christopher, Martha, Tamara, Lily, VJ...).

I think aging 12 years over 10 years falls into a circle of respectability.

On The Young and the Restless, Billy Abbott was born in 1993 but was aged 16 by 1999

Dan Stewart, born onscreen on As the World Turns in 1958, reappeared as a 26-year-old doctor in 1966

Tom Hughes was born on screen in 1961. By 1970 he had been to college and fought in the Vietnam War

I think aging 12 years over 10 years falls into a circle of respectability.

On The Young and the Restless, Billy Abbott was born in 1993 but was aged 16 by 1999

Dan Stewart, born onscreen on As the World Turns in 1958, reappeared as a 26-year-old doctor in 1966

Tom Hughes was born on screen in 1961. By 1970 he had been to college and fought in the Vietnam War

Gosh! Do Americans think that their viewers are complete idiots?

^^

Yeah they do. On days of our lives, EJ Dimera was born on screen in 1997 and is now like thirty years old with two kids, married like 5 times and now basically running the family business.

Charlie buckton was agenda couple of years to fast. In 2008 when she arrived she told Roman that she was 26 but then in 2009 she's 30 because she told ruby that she was 14 when she had her and Ruby was 16 then.

It happens a lot, but it doesn't bother me a great deal. For example, I'm more interested in storylines about people in high school than 8-10 year olds, so if they add a few years on to get them there quicker, that's ok with me. As long as the actor looks about the right age for whoever they're playing. I'd probably say it annoys me more when we end up with actors in their mid to late twenties playing teenagers in high school, it looks so unrealistic.

Obviously the above examples quoted are a bit ridiculous. :D

Archived