A very technical Home & Away question...

Guest James Martin

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

I have to be blunt here. I hate the filmic look that H&A has. I preferred the old SD version when I think the videotape was much clearer and more inviting. Filmic looks also hide out sunlight in outside scenes.

Agreed. I guess we're the last of the "Insert Dying Species" here! Plus the action moves at a quicker pace.

I have to be blunt here. I hate the filmic look that H&A has. I preferred the old SD version when I think the videotape was much clearer and more inviting. Filmic looks also hide out sunlight in outside scenes.

Agreed. I guess we're the last of the "Insert Dying Species" here! Plus the action moves at a quicker pace.

It is because I am a long term viewre of H&A, having followed it since the start (Feb 1989 here in the UK, over a year after the original Aus broadcast) that I often hanker for the older days of the show. I have never liked filmic looks and Neighbours and H&A are not really suited for it. Leave the filmic look to films and short term drama series I say.

I think it's more of a UK thing - the desire for the standard video tape look. I don't mind the 24 frames per second (film look) but I also like the 30 frames per second (video tape look). I think Neighbours suited the video tape look more than Home and Away.

What I don't like is the plastic HD look - where everything is too clear. I think that is the problem you guys have when you say it doesn't look as sunny. It isn't the film 'motion' it is the HD/digital look. They need to add a bit of diffusion and grain in order to soften it, make it less 'plastic/cold' and more warm.

What I like about the 90's look is the analogue tone - it was less plastic and more grainy.

As for the current show - the indoor scenes looks good, but the outdoor shots look a little on the cold/plastic side Imo

• 2 weeks later...

I like that old videotape look on the shows. It looks more realistic too. I can even imagine that some kind of explosion looks more shocking in videotape. I think if the show started with that look it should remain till the end. The look that has been used since 2004 makes show very unrealistic, like from the film. And this is not a film. Just like the storylines that have to be such that we could relate to, the movement of people should also look like in real life. It's the show that never ends just like real life. It should have more realistic elements. Having said that I understand why the show could have gone to filmic look. In the last century the internet was getting bigger and bigger. Today we have official sites offering to watch current episodes online. You can't get realistic videotape look through the internet. Even softwares like Windows Media Player can't completely give that look that we get on TV. So whoever were responsible for show making maybe they didn't want the internet viewers to get the feeling like they miss out something. That's why they decided to switch to film, so that episodes on TV and online would look exactly the same.

^You can get that video tape look on the internet, it's just that most people don't know how to set it up when they output their videos. Plus when the files are compressed for the internet the difference between 30/60 frames per second (video) and 24 frames per second (film) becomes less apparent

Archived