A very technical Home & Away question...

Guest James Martin

If you sat a H&A virgin down, someone who had never watched the show before, and showed them an episode of H&A in 1988 and 2013 and edited out the titles, and turned the sound down there would not be many reminders to them that it is the same programme. Just Alf, Celia and Summer Bay House have remained as they are since Day 1 whereas Roo was there in 1988 but went for many years and looks nothing like she did back then, different actress. Also the H&A novice would probably notice 1988 was the videotape era and now 2013 is the filmic look. When you see scenes at the beach in H&A with the filmic look it always looks like it is a cloudy day whereas in videotape the sun sticks out like a sore thumb. I dont think it will happen but I live in hope they reinact the videotape look for H&A and probably Neighbours.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the Internet was the driving force. I like the filmic look, and it does definitely improve things if you're watching in SD, particularly on a CRT screen. The important thing is, though, if you want the show to look like a film, you need to make sure the lighting design matches that. I've found some scenes recently really dark - and although they might be like that in real life, it's making them difficult to view on-screen.

On the whole though, I've preferred the way Home & Away feels like a film rather than a TV show since 2003. Purists will of course argue that you shouldn't be trying to turn television into cinema, but for me it enhances the feel of escapism, rather than takes it away - and it becomes a more immersersive viewing experience.

One comment I would make (and I think I can remember Ste making regarding Sally's departure, and this is more related to the enjoyment of the show than the look on the show, is that when you sit at your PC and watch an episode with that slider along the bottom, it's too easy to jump about and try skip parts and that I find that if I stick the episodes on DVD and watch it on my TV, that I enjoy the episode much more, even the Braxton-orientated ones.

^I agree. You can appreciate the overall production when watching it on TV rather than PC and it's just a much more enjoyable experience (minus the ad breaks).

I wish Plus7 would offer a HD version of the show so that we could see it in all it's glory. I miss watching in HD, it really made a difference Imo.

Archived