Classic Episodes on 5★

Guest ter06

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually rather enjoyed those two and I am looking forward to some of the later stuff.(Probably won't bother with the nth repeat of Belle's death, I'm going out tomorrow evening and it was the following episode that had all the good stuff in anyway, the actual death episode got bogged down with all the mistimed Liam and Amanda stuff.)I think that first episode is possibly better out of context, at the time it felt a bit odd that we were getting a load of unrelated domestic stuff while Rachel's been tied up by a crazy guy.(A motif that popped up a bit too often around that time, fortunately after her ordeal in the Olympic cliffhanger the writers seemed to get it out of their system.)The beginning of her and Tony was a good moment.Cassie was able to irritate me just by walking into a room by this point, with her snooty attitude towards Ric and her bonkers conclusion that Sally's going crazy because she thought she saw a word written on the beach.(Wonder if the whole "We shouldn't bother Sally with our problems" thing was the set-up to Sally's neglectful failure to notice that Cassie was in hospital a few weeks later.)Possibly the first sign this wasn't going to be a good year for Irene, as she goes from being needlessly suspicious of Roman to needlessly suspicious of Miles.Can't quite decide if he was more or less scruffy by the time he left.

Sally's farewell was actually a lot better than I remembered.There were a lot of farewells that should have been there and weren't(I think there was a scene planned but cut, hence the large number of cast members on the credit listed who don't appear and Rachel acting like she's on her way to a big goodbye than never happens)and Noel stealing all her things was a horrible idea that soured her exit a bit, especially since it was never mentioned again and the whole storyline fizzled out as if they weren't sure how to end it.And not including Little Pippa in the episode when she's meant to be leaving with Sal seems like a major omission.But there's a lot of good moments in there too:The Sally/Carly scene was a nice relaxed moment that I wish we'd seen more of, Sally's final walk through the house(the last scene Kate Ritchie filmed, I think)was nicely done and the last scene with Alf worked well, there is a real sense of reality spilling over into the fiction in a lot of those scenes.(I do have to add I was never happy with Kate's insistence on having Sally call him "Mr.Stewart", it didn't really fit her personality.)But the scene with Miles was the one where I really teared up, perhaps especially in retrospect with Miles' exit when it feels like, having lost the loves of their lives and had their subsequent relationships fail, they're going to end up growing old with each other, which feels appropriate in a way.

Interesting continuity note:McGrath was always credited as sergeant but Morag always called him senior constable.Looking at his rank lapels, it seems Morag was right!

Yeah, I never understood the furniture being stolen. Firstly it wasn't Ric's, so why steal it? But then they left bits and pieces, it would have been more effective for the house to be completely empty when Sal left. I guess they wanted to give the house a makeover to mark the new era, shame it was short lived.

They should have left all the other stories out of the episode and had more scenes with the family in the house. Where was Floss? Her and Colleen should have been there, I doubt very much that they stole all the beds, why else would Sally, Miles and Ric stay in the house?

I see that Friday's episodes will be from early 2012. I'm not sure why they skipped 1988 (apart from the pilot) - I'd rather have seen some landmark episodes from the first season (eg Roo and Frank's non-wedding, the Barlow siege) than repeats of recent episodes. Oh, and while I'm moaning I think the 1989 episode where Bobby learns Fisher is her father would have been much more welcome than the one where she learns Morag is her mother (which took up about 30 seconds of the episode).

While we're discussing Sally's exit, I really like this alternative version, featuring flashbacks and the Fletchers/SB House theme from the early days:

http:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjF0g1TKtRk

If that link doesn't work, the clip is called 'Sally's Exit with Flashbacks' on YT.

I've got a copy of the script for Sally's final ep and that scene did originally include flashbacks - but I think the fact there'd been a fair few flashbacks used in previous weeks with the whole Milco reveal was probably one of the reasons we were left that more simple scene, which I do actually prefer on this occasion.

Monday's first ep - Since Ch5 advertised this as the first time Sally met Miles, it's a pity most of the scene was cut. In the version I've got, Miles goes on to say he's hungry and Sally fetches him a plate of food from the party. I always like the filthy look Miles gave Irene as he left.

I would have preferred the episode where Sally realises that she and Miles are twins, but maybe next year!

Like RR1, the final scene between Sally and Miles when she gave him half ownership of the house always make me emotional, it's a shame that everyone in the current show think Alf's the owner.

I agree with Merlin, it was listed as the first time Sally was reunited with Miles, which was right at the end of the episode, he didn't tell her who he was until a couple of weeks later. That would have been better as she had already felt some sort of connection. Was rather random though Sally mentioning to Pippa about milco, so it was obvious that something was going to happen. Just how did Miles know Sally was Sally he hadn't seen her since he was three or had she been pointed out to him by Roman? Morag being sorry for running over Miles when not so long before that she woul have blamed him for standing in the middle of the road!

Rachel can keep a cool head when she likes. Was it just that Tony happened to live next door, where Gina and John live now, or that she wanted him to be the one to come and help her? Btw of course where she lived is now the Braxton's place. Definitely the beginning of Rachel and Tony, her crying on his shoulder, ahh!!

Sally's farewell was so moving. Her reply to Carly about how she was always the good girl when she said she had her moments!! Sally giving Miles half ownership of the house and caravan park raises an interesting thought, if they are still the owners, that would mean Alf, Roo, Marilyn and co are just 'lodgers'. Best scene for me was her and Alf on the beach and her admission she was avoiding him just as much he was avoiding her. I always love that line "You'll always be Mr. Stewart to me Alf". I guess he was like a surrogate grandfather to her. The shot of him just standing there looking out to sea was so sad, now she had gone it was like an end of an era, no-one from the old days left. It must have been just as sad for Kate she had been Sally for so long it would have seemed like she was leaving her home and family too and like Sally taking a huge step into the unknown.

Then as a side story we had Jack the most accident prone copper in Summer Bay's history who was also not averse to bending the rules when it suited him. Sam's letter referring to Jack 'mislaying' the drugs found on Martha from her days at the pole dancing club being just one of them. We all know how doing things off his own bat ended up.

Monday's first ep - Since Ch5 advertised this as the first time Sally met Miles, it's a pity most of the scene was cut. In the version I've got, Miles goes on to say he's hungry and Sally fetches him a plate of food from the party. I always like the filthy look Miles gave Irene as he left.

I would have preferred the episode where Sally realises that she and Miles are twins, but maybe next year!

Like RR1, the final scene between Sally and Miles when she gave him half ownership of the house always make me emotional, it's a shame that everyone in the current show think Alf's the owner.

I remember the party food scene, could it be in the next episode?

Maz mentioned to Danny Braxton that Sally owned it, then gave it to Miles, both of whom are now in Thailand.

Archived