Classic Episodes on 5★

Guest ter06

Apart from the atagonism between John and Trey due to John's bullying of him, John on the whole was like the John we know now. Nice to see Nicole again and with Belle in the next episode. I'm guessing Charlie and Angelo saw the exploision and that is why they were suddenly on the scene.

Not much to say about Belle's death apart from at least it wasn't yet another dying on the beach in the arms of their loved one. I'd forgotten that was the return of Liam. Did they cut the sceen of Belle giving Annie her camera?

The riot and its aftermath had a effect on quite a few people, Leah having agrophobia, which did seem to clear up very quickly and Alf losing faith in the bay and it's people. Were the rioters ever brought to justice? Leah saying to Irene all the men she got involved with got hurt or died. Oh and Rabbit, I was hoping we would see her again. Remember the great Rabbit debate, was she real, a figment of Mile's imagination, his dead daughter or something else? I also liked the scenes with her and Miles before she got a bit menacing.

Rachel was at home in the bay. How did Xavier free the other two, did he get out and go and get a knife from somewhere to cut them free? Yes, seeing as Tony was hidden in the foot well of the back seat how did he get a bloody nose and knock himself out? Didn't Gina say she (and the others) were going to spend the night at Tony's so why was she at home and picked up John's messages? John did seem to have reverted to type when he bundled Jill into the spare room so he could let Gina in.

Mink's surprise when she learnt Gina used to be a surfer chick (as well as a biker chick) as we found out later.

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, they didn't cut Belle's death episode, the goodbyes to Annie et al were shown as flashbacks in the next episode, which is why I think they should have shown that instead.As for the bus explosion, Charlie and Miles(Angelo wasn't there)were already on their way to check out the campsite when the bomb went off, hence their arriving soon afterwards.

Race riot...I think it's one of those good ideas that they didn't develop properly.There was no build-up and no real fallout other than Alf and Leah being a bit down for a few episodes until they got over it.The whole illegal immigrant angle was just dropped and we never found out whether they were deported or not.Likewise, while the fact the police were never able to bring charges against anyone is realistic and it's certainly more insightful to portray it as a bunch of likeminded people getting drunk, kicking off and getting out of control rather than having it planned by some mastermind, it kind of defuses the drama.The whole reason why this was supposed to be different to previous manmade disasters was "These are our friends, people that we pass in the street and serve in the Diner" but the only follow-up on that is one episode of Geoff blowing up at a guy in the surf club who may or may not have been involved before he gets packed off to Asia to find himself.There should have been a feeling that anyone they saw could have been involved, maybe there could have been a sympathetic character introduced who was later revealed to be involved, not necessarily because they were a racist but just because they were there and got caught up in it...What could have been.As to the lack of grief towards Hugo, there was a time jump after his "death" so this is some weeks later and Gina didn't care anyway, adopting a "He was a bad mood not worthy of my grief" stance.Xavier did seem to dry his eyes a bit quickly, mainly because he got lumbered with that horrendously tasteless "comedy" chase after a wad of cash, with dozens of vulnerable people being left in horrendous conditions for other people's profits suddenly being played for laughs.Too soon.As for the 2010 online episode, as mentioned in the early parts of this thread and as I alluded to earlier, originally the third "2010" episode was 4874, which isn't just from 2009 but the earlier episode on the list from 2009!So they swapped that with 4995 so it's at least close to the right year.

Today's episodes!Nice to see a bit more of Nicole but did we really have to see that awful private adoption storyline?The opposite of the race riot, a one week storyline dragged out for month after month after month.I can see Marilyn wanting to bring up Nicole's baby and I can see Nicole being scared enough to think it's her best option but they should have been shut down straightaway and it should have been used as the catalyst to explore Marilyn's desire for a child.Instead they got it the wrong way round, used Marilyn's desire for a child as a plot device to add some unnecessary drama to Nicole's pregnany, then forgot about it, with interesting avenues like Marilyn and Sid trying to adopt from overseas being quickly dropped.Everything Morag said in that episode was true and deep down Sid knew it, but instead of people listening it took about six months for Nicole to come to her senses and Marilyn, despite the insistence here that they need to go through the official channels, somehow managed to take the baby off her, take him home and keep him there for several weeks without any legal right to do so or anyone stopping her.Sigh.Oddly, I find myself shocked at how old Marilyn looks here, I'm probably used to seeing her on 7Two.As for the introduction of the River Boys, first time I saw that episode I had no idea who was Brax, who was Heath and who was an extra, so it was interesting to see again.(I don't think there's any mention of Heath's name or the fact he's Brax's brother outside of the credits, which seems an odd storytelling move.)Brax is oddly flat here and Heath's winding Liam up already.Charlie, Bianca and Leah shooting them looks halfway between interest and distrust is rather telling in retrospect, while Charlie puts in a typically poor showing as a police officer by just walking away from a simmering brawl, although to be fair she does call for help.Bianca's nymphomaniac tendencies are perhaps rather telling too.

I'm surprised they chose that episode to represent the storm, I was expecting the next one with all the car stunts and the school collapsing.Not that I'm complaining, since it had the good characters in it rather than twenty minutes of us being expected to care that something might happen to Romeo and Harvey.Wonder if he's ever regretted going back for him?The beginning of Xavier and Sasha's slow burn relationship, which quickly burnt out.She's already calling Sid "Dad" by this point, so I'm still not sure why they made a big deal about her doing it at the beginning of 2012.She also does tell Felix to go out the back door, which I missed first time round, although it still doesn't explain why we didn't see them again for over a week.And man, April was such a non-character by this point, I barely noticed she was in it, shame the show seems determined to make her that way again.

I'm actually rather fond of the 2010 finale although it has massive faults:It had a slightly upbeat feel and it's one of the rare attempts at a community feeling in recent episodes although it has some massive faults:Bianca running straight from Vittorio to Liam was a step too far, John and Gina get married on a whim without any banns or license(especially annoying since it could have been fixed by a couple of lines of dialogue)and April being dragged off to Europe without making any effort to stay only to come straight back in premiere week was a very false cliffhanger(and she never really came back, she hasn't been the same character since).I actually think the last three seasons have started really well, this one included:Charlie's death felt like characters' actions were beginning to have consequences rather than going for an easy happy ending and Ruby's reaction was well-handled, there were interesting new paths for Dexter and Xavier, Sid was stepping up as a father and becoming a good character, April had got a bit of spark back, they seemed to have finally worked out what they were doing with Liam and Bianca, Romeo and Indi's marital woes were developing nicely...Sadly, halfway through the year, although some of those elements are still there others either turned out to be false dawns or descended into melodrama.

Thanks for that Red.

Agree with you there Red, although it was great to see more of Nicole (and Morag was proved right in the end about Nicole not wanting to give him up) I think I would have preferred to see her giving birth (very clean one if I remember correctly) on the beach with Angelo by her side. Sid was already voicing his doubts about adopting the baby (any baby). Of course he would have liked his own child with Marilyn but as was revealed later that just wasn't medically possible, just as well neither happened as it turned out. Loved the way Nicole fronted Morag about her own failings and giving Bobby up.

Bianca and Liam in their tent(?) when they were going through their very highly sexed phase and they couldn't get enough of each other, until Liam got his gig at the Singles Night and wanted to practice different kind of moves. That little girly chat Bianca had with Leah and Leah's advice not to be so subtle, a fat lot of good it did Bianca. :wink: They did make up for it later. :blush: I also remember (seeing it wasn't that long ago) Bianca's line about how come the bad guys always look so hot (if only she had known then what we know now). There was no kind of introduction of the River Boys other than I think Charlie telling Leah and Bianca which one was Darryl, ironic now when you think of what happened between them, and that she was a fully funtional cop at that time. Of course then at the end Miles wandering in (not that we realised it was Miles what with the beard) and getting whacked over the head. I know Heath got blamed for it, but from our angle we just saw a bottle hit his head!

Yet another storm hitting the bay (yawn). Was this the first or second time the National Park got a mention? Didn't notice it first time round, but wasn't it fortuitous that Alf happened to turn the radio on just as Harvey was broadcasting his SOS message!! I missed where Sasha told Felix to go as well, never realised Gina's place had a back door. As it looked like that they had split up, how did Felix get to the school? Not this episode wasn't dramatic the next one did have more going for it, apart from Romeo playing Superman rescuing Harvey, wasn't there also VJ wandering around somewhere and Elijah going to find him to try and get back with Leah? Plus the roof collapsing at the school and Bianca and Heath getting trapped together (very cosy). :wink:

I guess the finale and the non-wedding, wedding was on-line Red. I remember at the time wondering how come John and Gina were able to just step up to take Bianca and Vitterio's place without any banns being read. As for April being hauled off to Europe and suddenly reappearing wasn't there six weeks between that and the new premiere?

Last ones tonight - crumbs where has that six weeks gone - Charkie gets her life support switched off and Bianca warns Heath off April.

Have really enjoyed seeing some of the old episodes and characters, is it too soon to be looking forward to next years? :D

I think they were trying to imply that Felix went out the back door(so Xavier didn't see him), Sasha went out the front and they met up outside, but it really wasn't clear.

I'm sorry to say I turned off the first of today's episode.When I saw the description The One After Charlie Is Shot, I assumed it was the season premiere, which would have been okay.When I realised it was the "Brax spends half an episode waving a gun at people and the police somehow fail to do us a favour and lock him up" episode, I hit the off switch.I feel I should have kept watching out of loyalty but it's not long enough ago for the nostalgia goggles and it's not worth me getting that frustrated again.If they were trying to use this repeat run to draw some of the older fans into watching the current show, that episode would have just confirmed their worst suspicions, despite a few nice scenes surrounding it.

Fortunately though, I did enjoy the second one and even managed to put aside any cynical thoughts about how short-lived Liam and Bianca's marriage has been and treat it as a first time viewer, aside from raising an eyebrow a couple of times at ironic-in-retrospect comments.I'd forgotten about April's horrible bridesmaid dress, it's a wonder Bianca turned out to be pregnant because April's the one that seems to be wearing a maternity gown.Romeo once again proves a lot better in friendship scenes than in romantic ones.Some nice stuff with the Walkers.And even a bit of April and Heath.Ah, what could have been.It's episodes like that that remind me that under the bad attitude Heath really is downright lovable, his flippant "Is that what's going on?Cool" after Bianca's hissy fit about her disastrous day was the biggest laugh of the episode.Best of all, that calypso version of the theme tune at the end was the perfect bookend to this run, bringing it back to how it all started.

Let's all keep our fingers crossed that we get another one next year!

Archived