Is 2012 becoming more like 'Classic Home and Away'?

Guest Light of the Bay

I know that in recent years Home and Away has changed dramatically what with all the crime, drugs, sex and craxy year long themes but I feel that 2012 so far has less crime and it is slowly beginning to focus on charcter development and families once again. I think the main problem is that there is no focus on friendships or a sense of community which makes the show feel somehwat cold. 1988-2004 Home and Away always focused on community, fostering and friendships which made the show feel warm and fuzzy, however since 2005 it has declined dramatically. I feel that this is almost entirely the Script Producer's and SP's fault as they seem to be obsessed with crime and have some twisted view that it will increase ratings- which it doesn't. I am glad that Cameron Welsh left the building late last year and there is a new Series Producer as well as a new Executive Producer- Julie McGauran. I truly believe that the show will return to it's roots and I have already seen evidence of this so far this year. I would be interested to hear other fans thoughts?

I think you're right that 2012 is different in a good way, but for me so far it has felt a bit patchy.

Some moments I have really enjoyed:

• The (brief) fun with the Karaoke
  • John and Gina's meltdown
  • Ruby's attitude towards Brax Re: Charlie. It is his fault.
  • Ruby/Indi/Romeo
  • The more regular appearances of Morag
  • The 'improved' use of Marilyn, and her friendship with Irene and Roo
  • The realisation that characters other than the RBs do exist
  • The fact that they're writing Ada out during her pregnancy, rather than have Leah get pregnant again, which would be mental.

However this good has been ruined by:

• The fact they actually killed off Charlie, like it was the only option
  • The continued dominance of the bloody RBs, and the fact that everything relates back to them in one way or another
  • Harvey/Roo/Sid :puke:
  • Literally everything about Bianca's baby drama
  • Brax, and Leah's totally unrealistic about-turn in attitude towards him
  • VJ getting close to a father figure who probably won't be around longer than a year. Again.
  • Brax, and his reaction to Charlie's death
  • The investigation into Stu's death and writing Sasha into a corner when she's only been on the show for a few months
  • The lack of joy on the show
  • No fostering
  • Elijiah's departure. I don't like that he was brought back solely for the purpose of getting back together with Leah, and that when they realised it wouldn't be popular with the viewers they just abruptly call a halt to his storylines and suddenly write him out. Wasn't there any other plan for him?!!

Although there have been some improvements this year, I think it's far too early to atribute them to the departure of Cameron Welsh, he is still the Series Producer at UK pace at least. We'll see the real changes towards the end of this year/early 2013, when the new Executive Producer has been at the planning stage for around 6 months. Is the new EP really Julie McGauran? Although she's taking over as head of drama at 7, I haven't seen anything that says she'll also be taking on this role. Lucy Addario is the new Series Producer for the mean-time, and seeing as she started getting involved in mid-2011 with Louise Bowes taking over as Script Producer I'm not overblown with confidence!

Yeah the whole karaoke storyline really made the show feel warmer for a short period. I do agree that it has been very patchy, I think it would be best if the writers found a good balance. It's fine to have a bit of drama but Home and Away started out as a show that focused on a sense of community and of course the long running fostering theme. I think Louise Bowes is the main problem at the moment. She took over from Jason Daniels last year who was very good in his role and the show was headed for a transformatiuon last year, until he was mysteriously let go. I just assumed that Julie McGauran was the new Executive Producer? If not then i dunno who is as no one has really been officially announced. Maybe Lucy Addario was just following Cameron's orders last year? I mean.. he was in charge so I don't think she was really able to put her work in. I'm disappointed in John Holmes above everyone else as he was the EP from 1994-2011 I think? So he was responsible for the great period that was 94-05 then he just allowed it to go downhill from there. So in short he was responsible for all of the best years, as well as the worst ones.

Yeah John Holmes has been the head of Drama at Network 7 for all those years, through good times and bad. Makes me think, he wasn't actually very hands on with the show, or perhaps became less involved with it as time went on.

Either way it will be interesting to see what comes of Cameron's departure. I've never considered him the biggest problem really, as he has been in charge through some brilliant periods like 2008, but also 2009! I think it's more dependent on the Script and Story Producers who (as far as I'm aware) lead a team of people who plot what happens on the show. Obviously Bevan Lee did a lot of good for the show in 2008, but he only wanted to stay in the position to ensure that Sally's exit from the show was done properly so he only stayed for around 6 months. Then as someone else took over things began to change and lead to 2009 which overall wasn't terrible, but the mystery was a bad idea because it wasn't interesting, or unpredictable! But anyway, I think that's what happened with Jason Daniel who only wanted to come in for a 6 month stint early in 2011, and he really brought the show up to scratch. Maybe it's a coincidence, but looking back over old episodes Louise Bowes became involved around the 5350 episode period and that's where the downward spiral in quality came from in my opinion. Her title is still 'Supervising' Script Editor though, wonder if that means her position is temporary? Perhaps someone else could shine some light on it?

Nah I don't think its anything like 'Classic Home and Away'. Its an enitrely different show these days and to me, other than the obvious such as locations and Maz, Alf etc. it bares no resemblance to Home and Away pre-2004.

I do think 2012 has been an improvement on last year, but to be honest I don't watch regularly any more, last year was the final nail in the coffin with all of that RB/Underbelly rubbish and I've just lost any passion for the current show. I do tune in probably once or twice per week but I tend to tune in on Thursday and Friday because that's when other characters get a look in, Mon-Wed its still River Boys dominated - and Leah has become a bit of an irritating character to me these days. Never thought that would happen.

As I said, it is better than last year, or at least, Thursday and Friday's episodes are.

Nah I don't think its anything like 'Classic Home and Away'. Its an enitrely different show these days and to me, other than the obvious such as locations and Maz, Alf etc. it bares no resemblance to Home and Away pre-2004.

I do think 2012 has been an improvement on last year, but to be honest I don't watch regularly any more, last year was the final nail in the coffin with all of that RB/Underbelly rubbish and I've just lost any passion for the current show. I do tune in probably once or twice per week but I tend to tune in on Thursday and Friday because that's when other characters get a look in, Mon-Wed its still River Boys dominated - and Leah has become one of the most irritating characters to me these days. Never thought that would happen.

As I said, it is better than last year, or at least, Thursday and Friday's episodes are.

I disagree. I have always found H&A to be the same show as it was since pilot.

And yes, the show is no longer so much about foster children but I think that changed when it became the Sutherland show!

When I said Leah is irritating, I just find that she is more often than not either angry, sad, serious or stressed. We hardly ever see her being positive. I didn't like it when she transformed into this sort of character in 2004 either. I just dont think she is very well defined as a character. Though as I said, I do more often than not only watch the Thursday/Friday episodes.

Its nothing at all like the Classic Home and Away. There has been slightly less crime then last year, but only slightly, its still there and still a focus, when it shouldn't be. There has been some great stuff this year, but also some not so great stuff...

I am sick of the rbs/older Braxton brothers. Harvey/Roo/Sid annoys me although guess its just Harvey/Roo now. The Bianca baby drama although great acting its really annoying.

I did love the Karaoke (However briefly that was), the fun single ladies nights/days (more of these would be awesome), John & Gina's meltdown and picking back up was fantastic, Sasha & Xavier getting together is awesome and so far the

Iintroduction of Lottie

is brilliant!

I do think 2012 has been an improvement on last year, but to be honest I don't watch regularly any more, last year was the final nail in the coffin with all of that RB/Underbelly rubbish and I've just lost any passion for the current show. I do tune in probably once or twice per week but I tend to tune in on Thursday and Friday because that's when other characters get a look in, Mon-Wed its still River Boys dominated - and Leah has become a bit of an irritating character to me these days. Never thought that would happen.

100% agree with you.

Home and Away 2012 is clearly not as good Home and Away 1990. Like yourself, I don't watch the show every night like I used to. The only thing I like about the show is the River Boys, and the older characters like Alf, Irene, Colleen and John who have interesting storylines when they arise which isn't too often unfortunately. The teenage characters these days are dull. Around 2004-2007 the mix of teenage characters was perfect.

I always thought the show declined around the time Aden left with his brother in early 2010 and the only thing that has kept me watching is the River Boys. Throughout the 2000s the show was peaking between 2001-2007.

Archived