Time for some new foster kids?

Guest maciam

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to be accused yet again of sounding negative but I'm genuinely asking for the opinions of others here!

Does anyone think that Maddie and Spencer's fostering has fallen completely flat? I feel like we haven't seen them interact with Roo & Harvey enough and we haven't really heard either party explain how it has affected them or improved their lives. When I look back at the Smiths' and Tasha; so much more thought and effort was put into their arrival and their fostering. We also saw how this affected the Foster Parent and what a change it was for them. I just wish we'd seen a little more of that with Maddie and Spencer. I don't really feel like I know them and their reason for arriving in Summer Bay wasn't that imaginative either.

I really liked the way Alf and Roo combined tonight to force Maddie to really assess whether she wanted to stay or not. That involvment of the generations was really important for me. I think this is going to develop into a good fostering situation. I liked the imagination of introducing the new foster teens as a committed couple. For me that added an extra dimension.

I feel like we haven't seen them interact with Roo & Harvey enough and we haven't really heard either party explain how it has affected them or improved their lives.

I have to disagree with you on these points!

I feel like this is all we have seen of them so far. Aside from a couple of scenes with Sasha and Rosie, we have primarily seen Maddie and Spencer interacting with Roo, Harvey as well as Alf and Marilyn. Similarly, Roo and Harvey's scenes this year have all revolved around looking after Spencer and Maddie.

They are currently exploring the bumpy transition of Maddie fitting into the house and how Roo is struggling with finding a balance between being her parent and being her friend. Maddie is finding it hard to follow the rules of adults who are not her parents and Roo is finding it hard to lay ground rules.

They have explored a developing relationship between Harvey and Spencer. They have a shared passion for boats and Spencer stated how he already feels much closer to Harvey than he ever did to his actual father. It is very clear how happy and grateful Spencer is living in Summer Bay with the support of Roo and Harvey.

Both Roo and Harvey were needed to guide Spencer and Maddie through the very big decision about sleeping together. The advice they gave was conflicting and had a big impact on both teens. We have also seen Roo and Harvey guiding each other through their parenting techniques and the best way to manage teenagers.

The changing dynamic of Roo and Harvey's relationship has also been discussed. Alf mentoring them about the importance of still having time for each other and not just giving all their energy to the kids.

I thought their back stories were established well with Maddie being a talented teenager from a poor family who was at a prestigious school on a scholarship and not being accepted as a social equal by either the other students or Spencer's family. Spencer's dad was a bully. And Maddie's parents were forcing her to "honour her talent" to the exclusion of all else.

It was established that they couldn't live at home and maintain their relationship. That established a need.

Well yes but it's not exactly foster care is it?I don't exactly call running away from home because mummy and daddy say we can't be together a burning need.I believe it's called a want which is a very different thing.

Well yes but it's not exactly foster care is it?I don't exactly call running away from home because mummy and daddy say we can't be together a burning need.I believe it's called a want which is a very different thing.

Exactly.

And what have we seen so far? Maddie acting like a brat because she can't get her own way with Spencer and then acting more of a brat with Roo. She's spoilt and selfish and pretty much turning into a drama queen. Alf went to a lot of trouble to secure a violin for her and she threw it back at him in a way that made her an ungrateful cow. These are not kids in danger of homelessness, or the other 101 things that deem a child 'at risk', or who are desperately in need of shelter and caring.

I disagree.They might fall short of most people's definition of abused, but they were in a situation at home which made it impossible for them to continue living there and be happy.Their parents had their own ideas for what they wanted their lives to be like and weren't interested in their own opinions.Whether you think they're right or wrong to prioritise being together over what their parents want for them, it had reached the point where the only way for them to be happy was to remove themselves from their parents' care and have a go at living lives their own way.People become homeless for all sorts of reasons, it doesn't necessarily have to involve physical abuse.Calling them spoiled as if it's an all purpose insult is kind of missing the point:Who exactly is supposed to be spoiling them?Spoiled means they've been given everything they want, which clearly isn't the case.

Archived