Opening Credits

Guest Light of the Bay

Home and Away Opening Credits  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 2 weeks later...

I said No because, having read an article where Cameron Welsh spoke about the credits, he said that the more time they give to the credits, the less they have left for the actual episode, so, knowing that, I actually like the credits at the current length that they are because we get to see more of the episode.

I also love the aerial shot of Palm Beach and then seeing Home and Away spelt out in the water, I think it's lovely! :)

I would like to see opening credits again, as long as they made them groups again (like the 2004 opening credits) and not just one

person per picture frame of whatever they are going to do (if they bring them back)

So yeah I would like to see them brought back.

I think Home and Away HAS to have credits every day that it's on. It should be the long version for two reasons:

- We'll be able to see all the characters rather than have it rushed through.

- The Home and Away theme is iconic. Everyone will have heard of it, (even the people who have never watched the show).

I don't agree with the argument that having the credits there takes time away from the show. The credits were part of the show for every episode for nearly 20 years and the show didn't suffer then. So why should it suffer now?

Yes! I miss the song. Neighbours can do it so Home And Away should. (Though I think the Neighbours titles writing is stupid cos you can barely see who it is). H&A need to do it and it needs to be the same song.... and keep the title over the water with the boats, I like that.

I like that Home & Away have got no opening credits nowadays especially with the turn over of cast coming and going over the years - it makes it very expensive having to chop and change scenes.

I liked that there were credits for the Early Years and throughout the years but I think that now I'd rather see more of the plots and storylines unfold than spend time watching opening credits - especially when I've gotten used to the actors/actresses introducing what has happened previously on the show coupled with the newer shortened theme.

• 1 month later...

I don't agree with the argument that having the credits there takes time away from the show. The credits were part of the show for every episode for nearly 20 years and the show didn't suffer then. So why should it suffer now?

Exactly. It's just an excuse because opening titles are expensive to produce for soap operas with their high cast turnover, and aren't so popular in tv production circles these days anyway.

I'm sure Network 7 have some research or statistic that shows viewers are more likely to stay watching through the first 10 seconds if they get straight into the action. It's probably termed how 'sticky' a show is, a phrase used by websites like facebook to express how likely people are to spend a large amount of time viewing their content.

It's probably the reason why the recap moved from after the titles to before in 2000, and why from that point onwards the titles themselves got shorter and shorter. Then from 2006 they stopped showing them every episode until last year when they were ditched altogether.

These days we always get the most dramatic, Chax/RBs-related material in the first few seconds of the recap because they know it hooks viewers, especially on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday.

They really should take my advice ( :rolleyes: ) and have a classy '1996-1999'-style 50-second set of opening titles once a week, with the current format for the other four episodes. I think this would work best on a Monday, but if I am correct about my 'sticky'-ness theory, they would probably put it on Friday's episode which is consistently the lowest-rating of the week.

• 1 month later...

I chose yes. I'm not fussed with how long they are, or how much they show, but there needs to be something before they get straight into the show. It's really not good enough the way it is now. We need the iconic song back. Even Neighbours still uses an opening with their song and the actors, so why can't Home and Away do the same?

Archived