A Journey of Love

Guest charlie29

Thanks to everyone reading and leaving comments, glad you're enjoying it :)

Chapter 20 - Uncomfortable

Four months had passed, and life had been pretty uneventful. Charlie had started her maternity leave from work two weeks earlier, and although it had become incredibly uncomfortable going to work in her uniform, she did miss it. Up until now, her career had been everything to her, and Charlie was getting used to the idea that other things now came first. Angelo was getting more and more excited about the imminent arrival of the baby, and had spent the last couple of weeks working on the nursery. Charlie was dying to see what Angelo had been up to, but it was a big secret. Angelo had taken some holiday from work to help Charlie ease into her maternity leave, for which she was very grateful as she was already going stir crazy.

"Hey babe, are you alright? You look deep in thought this morning?" Angelo said to Charlie as he placed a kiss on her cheek and patted her stomach. He was amazed by Charlie and how well she was coping with the pregnancy. At first, he had been so worried when Charlie had almost rejected the thought of having a baby, but now she was blooming.

"Just thinking of what you were up to in that nursery! And contemplating a nap, it's getting harder and harder to sleep now because I'm so big" Charlie sighed.

"Yes, who knew that one little person would take up so much room!" Angelo joked, but at the look at Charlie's face he knew he may have overstepped the mark a little.

"Well you try being pregnant and see how you like it! In fact, if they ever find a way to allow men to carry babies, you'll be the first man nominated!" Charlie said, bursting into tears.

"Hey, honey, I'm sorry. I was only joking. You know how much I would love to help you"

"Oh don't worry, it's just the stupid hormones talking. I think I will go and have a nap though" Charlie went to get up and winced as a slight pain rippled across her stomach. This went unnoticed by Angelo.

"I've got something to show you first. The nursery is finished" Angelo beamed with pride.

"Oh wow! I can't wait to see it!" Charlie waddled to the stairs, the pain in her stomach all forgotten.

Charlie walked up the stairs and slowly pushed the door to the nursery open. It was painted light blue, with winnie the pooh stencils all over the walls. The cot was against the wall, and inside was a blue teddy bear with a note attached. It read "To the most precious little boy, we love you so much, all our love mummy and daddy". Charlie began to cry again and Angelo wrapped his arms around her.

"What's the matter? Don't you like it?" Angelo asked, a little worried.

"It's absolutely perfect, just like you. Our baby boy is going to have the best father in the world" Charlie managed to say in between sobs.

"Come on, lets go the bed for a while before Ruby bounces in from school"

"Good idea"

Charlie had been lying in bed for an hour, but had not slept as she kept getting sharp pains in her stomach. It can't be labour! It's four weeks early. I wish I could remember properly what it was like with Ruby, but it was so traumatic I can't remember a thing. Angelo noticed Charlie shuffling around in bed.

"Having trouble getting comfortable darling? Do you want me to leave you in peace, give you more room?" Angelo asked.

"No. I keep getting pains, I think I might be in the early stages of labour!"

Angelo leapt out of bed and headed towards the phone.

"Angelo! What are you doing? It's very early stages at the moment, we don't need to call Rachel yet. Just sit with me"

Angelo walked over to the bed, and held Charlie's hand.

"It's going to be ok Charlie, we're going to do this together"

Five hours later and Charlie was getting regular contractions. Angelo had phoned Rachel who had been with Charlie for the last two hours, and Ruby was sitting with Charlie, trying to keep her calm.

"It hurts Ruby, it really hurts!" Charlie shouted in between contractions.

"Hey Charlie, how are you doing?" Rachel asked.

"The contractions are about two minutes apart, they are getting really painful now"

"Ok, keep using the gas and air, and I am just going to examine you ok?"

Charlie gratefully took the gas and air and Angelo started to rub her back.

"Ok Charlie, you are almost ten centimetres dilated, are you ready to start pushing?"

"I guess so" Charlie half smiled, inside she felt very scared.

"I'll leave you to it mum, good luck!" Ruby said as she kissed Charlie on the head.

After twenty minutes of pushing, the sound of a baby crying entered the Rosetta household. Ruby rushed into the bedroom and saw Charlie cradling her baby.

"Ruby, I want you to meet Joseph" Charlie said.

"He's gorgeous! Is everything ok Rachel?"

"Yes, he's perfect. You did really well Charlie, so did you Angelo!" Rachel glanced at Angelo who was grinning at Charlie and his baby. He was so proud of Charlie.

"Ok Charlie, I just need to check you out quickly, if you can give Joseph to Angelo for a minute" Rachel got no response from Charlie, she assumed she was too engrossed in her baby to hear. Rachel glanced at Charlie, and noticed that she had her eyes shut and looked quite pale. Rachel took Joseph from Charlie and gave him to Angelo. She tried to wake Charlie, but could get no response. The she noticed the blood on the floor.

"Ruby, I need you to call me an ambulance. Charlie is bleeding, and needs to get to the hospital.........now!"

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aww I loved that chapter. Angelo being all sweet. :) And the baby's room sounds lovely and he was early, good job Angelo finished the nursery when he did! Aww and baby Joseph :wub: but Charlie! :o I hope she is okay.

Update soon :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the lovely comments, sorry the updates are so slow!! This is a sad chapter, but things will look up from here :)

Chapter 21 - It's A Worry

It had been two hours since Charlie had been rushed to the hospital by ambulance. Rachel had driven Angelo, Ruby and Joseph to the hospital, and once they had arrived there, had taken Joseph to the Special Care Baby Unit to be looked after until they had more news on Charlie. Charlie had been rushed straight into theatre, and once again all Angelo and Ruby could do was wait.

"Hey Angelo, I thought you would like to know that Joseph is settled and asleep in the nursery. The doctor there has checked him over and he's perfect" Rachel said, putting her arm around him.

"Thanks. How long till we know about Charlie?"

"I spoke to one of the theatre staff, she is still in the operating theatre at the moment"

"What the hell happened Rachel? One minute she was fine, the next she's rushed in here. She should never have had the baby at home"

"Angelo, there is always a risk of bleeding after any birth, and having the baby at home or in here wouldn't have changed that. Charlie is strong, and she will get through this. How are you doing Ruby?"

"Ok I guess. I just wish things would start going right for mum. She doesn't deserve all this hurt" Ruby looked sad.

Twenty minutes later, the surgeon came to speak to Angelo and Ruby. Rachel stayed with them for moral support.

"How is she?" Angelo asked.

"She is stable in recovery now, but the surgery was very difficult. We tried everything to stop the bleeding, but I'm afraid we had to perform a hysterectomy"

"What does that mean?" Ruby asked.

"It means Joseph was the last baby your mum will ever be able to carry Rubes" Angelo said, tears forming in his eyes.

After a thorough chat with the surgeon and Rachel, Angelo and Ruby were shown to Charlie's room. Charlie was lying deathly still in bed, still so pale.

"She looks awful" Ruby said, starting to cry as the nights events started to take their toll.

"She's doing very well. We are giving her some blood to help replace all the blood she lost in theatre. She will be in pain for quite some time, which we are giving her regular pain relief. She will probably sleep for the next day or so" One of the nurses explained to Angelo and Ruby.

"Does she know what's happened?" Angelo asked.

"Not yet, she hasn't been awake"

"I want to be the one to tell her. Please can you make sure that happens?" Angelo said, He knew it would be the hardest conversation he would ever have, but he owed it to Charlie.

"Of course Mr Rosetta. Now you should go home and get some rest. If anything happens, we will contact you"

Angelo and Ruby kissed Charlie goodbye and left the room in silence. They walked to the nursery and picked up Joseph. Back at the house, Angelo sat in bed cuddling Joseph.

"You have no idea how precious you are my little man. Your mummy is going to be so proud of you. We just have to get through the next few days, and then we'll all be together again"

The next day, Angelo drove up to the hospital, dreading the conversation he was about to have. He had left Ruby and Joseph with Irene. He felt quilty about leaving his son, but knew he had to talk to Charlie alone. Once at the hospital, he walked to Charlie's room, stopping to talk to her nurse on the way.

"How is she doing?"

"Very well, she's certainly a fighter. She is awake this morning, and although in pain appears to be in quite good spirits"

"Not for much longer" Angelo said with a heavy heart.

"If you need anything please let me know. I'll let you talk to your wife alone" The nurse said.

Angelo smiled and then opened the door. Charlie was awake, and looked a lot better than the last time he had seen her. He walked over to her bed and sat down next to her.

"Good morning gorgeous. How are you feeling?"

"A bit groggy and sore, but not too bad. Where's Joseph? What's going on Angelo, I keep asking the doctors what happened to me and nobody will tell me anything. Joseph is ok isn't he?!" Charlie asked, starting to panic.

"Charlie, you need to listen to me very carefully. First of all Joseph is fine. He's more than fine, he's absolutely wonderful. He is with Ruby and Irene. I needed to come and talk to you about what happened yesterday. I wanted to be the one to tell you, which is why all the doctors have been evading your questions"

"Angelo, you're scaring me"

"Charlie, when you were in theatre yesterday, they couldn't stop you bleeding. You were going to die if they couldn't stop the bleeding. Sweetie, they had to do a hysterectomy. I'm so sorry"

Charlie sat there in shock, trying to take in what Angelo had said.

"Sweetie, talk to me" Angelo said to Charlie.

"I want to see my baby" Charlie replied.

"Charlie, that's not what I meant. I know this must be a shock, but please don't shut your feelings away"

"I just want to see my baby Angelo, if it's the last one I'm ever going to have, I need him here with me" Charlie began to cry. Angelo pulled her into a hug and they both sobbed together.

Archived