A Journey of Love

Guest charlie29

Story Title - A Journey of Love

Type of Story - Long Fic

Main Characters - Charlie, Angelo, Ruby

BTTB Rating - T

Genre - Romance, Drama

Any Spoilers - No

Warnings - None at the moment, but will post at the beginning of each chapter if there are :)

Summary - Starts of at the beginning of the 2010 season, but events have all been changed to my liking!! Will be a Changelo with lots of romance and drama along the way.

Chapter One - Struggle For Survival

Charlie stirred and tried to open her eyes. She blinked a couple of times when met with a fuzzy outlook, but eventually her vision returned to normal.

Charlie could not work out where she was. All she knew was that her head was thumping. Hugo. His name flashed at her and she remembered what had

happened. Charlie tried to sit up, but realised her legs and wrists were tied up. Charlie looked around her and realised she was on a boat. She looked to

her right and saw Hugo driving the boat.

"Hugo! What the hell do you think you are doing? You need to let me go Hugo, kidnapping a police officer is not a good idea"

"Charlie, shut up"

"Hugo, what has happened to you? All this time Angelo has had his suspicions that you were involved in all this people smuggling, but stupidly I

stuck up for you. I couldn't believe that you could be involved. But I was wrong wasn't I?"

"Charlie, I'm warning you, if you don't shut up, I might do something I'll live to regret" Hugo pulled a gun out and pointed it towards Charlie.

"Ok, I'll shut up, but only for now. If you think you are going to get away with this you have got another thing coming"

Charlie closed her eyes and took some deep breaths. She didn't want to show Hugo how frightened she was, give him the satisfaction of knowing he was

really getting to her. Charlie was trained for situations like this, but she was struggling to cope with it. Thoughts of Ruby kept swimming around her head.

It was only a few hours ago at the Surf Club Christmas party, that they had shared a hug and Charlie had seen that their relationship was slowly

healing. It had been a tough few months, and Charlie had almost lost hope that life would ever be good again. With Ruby slowly coming round to the

idea that Charlie was her mother, and Angelo becoming an important part of her life, Charlie started to believe things were changing for the better.

As the engine ground to a halt, Charlie opened her eyes and saw Hugo staring at her. She could feel her shoulders starting to tremble, and tears started to

form in her eyes. Hugo began to walk down the stairs towards Charlie.

"I never wanted this to happen Charlie. I like you. But you couldn't resist getting your nose stuck in could you?"

"I'm a police officer, what did you expect me to do? Ignore it? All I can be thankful is that I found those refugees in time. That's if anyone comes to

their rescue, since I'm assuming you just left them there to die?"

"Charlie, you are so self righteous. I'm not even going to begin to explain my role in this, other than to say I wanted to get out of this. I didn't

want to be a part of it. I love Martha, and I don't want her harmed"

"Then why didn't you come to us? We could have protected Martha"

"Charlie, no amount of police protection would have stopped Suzy. Why the hell do you think I'm out here with you?"

Charlie jumped as Hugo started to wave his gun around in anger. He knelt down beside her and started to untie the rope around her ankles. Once that was

done, he untied her wrists. Charlie instinctively rubbed the area where the ropes had burnt into her skin. Hugo pointed the gun at Charlie.

"Get up"

Charlie pulled herself up. She still felt dizzy from the earlier blow to her head, but she knew she had to stay strong for a little while longer if

she was going to get herself out of this.

"What are you going to do? Shoot me and toss me into the water? And then what?"

"You are not going to talk yourself out of this one Charlie so I wouldn't waste your breath. Get into the water"

"What the hell are you talking about? Why?"

"I'm not going to kill you Charlie. I want you to get in the water, and swim to that Island over there. Once I am safely away, I'll let the authorities know where

you are. This should keep you going for a day" Hugo thrust a bottle of water into Charlie's hands.

"Hugo, you don't have to do this. Turn yourself in, the police will be more lenient if you do that, and you can still have a life with Martha"

"I told you, I am not going to bargain with you Charlie. Either you get in, or I shoot you, it's your choice"

Charlie took off her boots, whilst trying to think of a plan quickly. She threw the bottle of water overboard, and prepared to jump in. Hugo watched as

Charlie slipped on the side of the boat, and landed on the floor with a crash.

"Nice try Charlie, get up!" Hugo shouted, and got no response.

"Get up Charlie, or I'll shoot you" No response.

"Charlie? Charlie?" Hugo knelt down beside Charlie, after removing his gun to a safe distance. He knelt down to listen for Charlie's breathing and

cursed when he could not hear anything.

"Charlie, it's not supposed to end this way" Hugo prepared to do mouth to mouth when Charlie reached out to grab his gun. It was not there.

"Oh, so it was a little trick. Nice one Charlie, shame it didn't quite work though" Hugo hauled Charlie up to her feet then picked her up. He threw her

overboard into the water. Charlie let out a scream as she hit the ice cold water. She felt herself go under, and struggled to move to the surface. Once

at the surface, Charlie could see Hugo starting up the engine on the boat.

"HUGO! Don't do this! Don't leave me here, I'm begging you" Charlie shouted, tears running down her face, the adrenaline from trying to outsmart Hugo was

slowly disappearing. Charlie watched the boat start to pull away, and started to focus on the task ahead. She could either fight for survival, or give

in to the temptation of the sea. She chose survival.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the lovely comments, here's the next part :)

Chapter 2 - Too Late For Help?

Charlie watched as Hugo's boat disappeared into the distance. The water was freezing and her legs already felt like seizing up just by treading water.

Charlie turned around in the water to face her task. The Island called to her, she didn't know how long it was going to take her to swim, but she

hoped that her strength and determination to survive would mean she would make it. She had to, for Ruby. Charlie drew in a deep breath and started to swim.

Three hours Later

Yabbee Creek Police Station.

Angelo had arrived back at the station from leaving Martha at the hospital. It had been a long night. Derrick had kidnapped Martha, and Angelo had finally

been able to rescue her, whilst getting shot at resulting in a bad graze to his head. One of Angelo's undercover counterparts had released Derrick the

night before in the hope that he would lead the police to the person behind the people smuggling, but instead of that, he had kidnapped Martha, and Angelo still did not have enough evidence to arrest his main suspect, Hugo Austin.

"Has anyone seen Charlie lately?" Angelo asked, realising he had not spoken to his girlfriend all night. She had no idea what he had been through.

"No, we were wondering the same thing" Watson replied.

"What do you mean?" Angelo frowned.

"She went over to the Wharf last night to follow up some leads in the smuggling case. We haven't heard from her since then - we assumed she went home and

would report back in the morning, since she wasn't officially on duty"

"And no-one has heard from her at all? Did you not think to try ringing her?"

"We left a message on her mobile. Like I said, she wasn't on duty, so she didn't have to report back"

"This is Constable Buckton we are talking about here, she wouldn't do that" Angelo dialled Charlie's mobile number, but frowned again as the voicemail

kicked in. He then tried Charlie's house.

"Hey Leah, it's Angelo. Is Charlie there?"

"No, I thought she was at the station, I haven't seen her since she left the christmas party last night"

"Ok Thanks Leah. Can you get her to ring me if she turns up?"

"Sure. Bye"

Angelo hung up the phone, worry etched on his face. Something wasn't quite right, but he couldn't put his finger on it. He was interrupted by one of the

other officers.

"Constable Rosetta, there is an anonymous male on the phone asking to speak to you"

"Ok, put him through" Angelo replied, frowning.

"Angelo, how lovely to speak to you, although I suppose you are the appropriate person to deal with a little problem I have"

"Hugo. I wondered where you had got to. I need you to come down to the station. I have a couple of questions I would like answered"

"That might be difficult seeing as I am no longer in the Bay. I thought you might like to know that I bumped into Charlie last night, at the Wharf"

"Hugo, where is she? Have you done something to her?"

"Lets see. She unfortunately uncovered my little secret down at the Wharf last night. By the way you better get some medical help down there. Charlie

suffered a small head injury, and then I took her for a little ride on my boat. As you can probably guess, Charlie wasn't very happy when she came to, and

started making demands. I couldn't listen to her anymore, so as of now, she's swimming. Lets hope she's a tough swimmer, the water's a bit choppy today"

"You tell me where the hell you have left her or I swear you will live to regret it"

"If I were you, if you want to see Charlie safe and well, I would stop the threats Angelo"

Angelo tried to calm his anger and listened as Hugo explained exactly where he had left Charlie. Once off the phone, Angelo phoned the police helicopter

to sweep the area, to try and locate Charlie. After that he sent a couple of the other officers down to the Wharf to see what Hugo meant by sending medical help there. Once the rescue plan was initiated, all Angelo could do was wait. He had never been very patient, but this was going to be one of the longest waits of his life. Charlie's situation sounded critical, if help didn't reach her soon, it could be too late. Angelo put his head in his hands and sighed. If only he hadn't involved Charlie, she would never have been down at the Wharf. He prayed that she would be ok, he loved Charlie, perhaps he hadn't realised quite how much he loved her until now, but he didn't want to lose her. Angelo let out another sigh as he realised he would have to call Ruby. That was one phone call he was not looking forward to. He picked up the phone and started to dial.

Four Hours Later.

After what seemed like eternity, Charlie reached the shore of the Island. She staggered out of the water and collapsed onto the warm sand. Breathing

heavily, Charlie was aware that she was not out of danger. Perhaps the hardest part of survival was now to begin. All she could hope was that Hugo

had now alerted her colleagues to her dilemma, and that they were now looking for her. As the exhaustion waved over her, and the thumping in her head

got heavier, Charlie closed her eyes and drifted away. After a while, she wasn't sure whether the darkness coming over her was a bad dream, or whether she

was following the path to death. Only time would tell.

Archived