A Journey of Love

Guest charlie29

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the next part, enjoy! :)

Chaper Three - A New Chapter

Charlie felt warm and comfortable, which was strange really considering she was lying on a beach. She shifted position, and realised that she was no

longer on the beach, but lying in a bed. Charlie sat bolt upright, her heart pounding in her chest, and looked around the room with panicked eyes, trying

to figure out where she was. As she scanned the room, she saw a man sitting asleep in a chair. Charlie lowered herself back down against the pillows, her

heart rate slowly returning to normal, and smiled as she stared at Angelo. He was snoring. Charlie didn't know how she had got to the hospital, or how

long she had been there, but felt immediate relief at being back in Summer Bay. Charlie thought about waking Angelo, but decided to watch him sleep

instead. This did not last long however, as the door opened and Rachel walked in. Angelo shot up out of his chair, the noise disturbing him from his

slumber, but he noticed Rachel smiling. He followed her gaze and realised Charlie was awake. He rushed over to her side and took hold of her hand.

"Hey baby, how are you feeling? We've all been so worried about you" Angelo said, planting a gentle kiss on Charlie's nose.

"Hey. I've got a bit of a headache, and I feel exhausted. How did I get here? How long have I been here?" Charlie looked at Rachel with worried eyes.

"Charlie, you need to keep calm. You have been here for 3 days. You were unconscious when you arrived and this is the first time you have woken up. You

have a fractured skull, which will explain the headache, but this will heal by itself. No other physical injuries, other than exhaustion, which will get

better with lots of rest. You have had everyone very worried, especially Ruby"

"Is she ok? Where is she?"

"She's fine. She wouldn't leave your side for the first 2 days, but I finally persuaded her to go home last night. I'll go and phone her and let her

know you're awake" Angelo said.

"Thanks Angelo" Charlie smiled as he left the room.

"You know he hasn't left your side either. No-one could persuade him to go home and get some rest" Rachel informed Charlie.

"I'm very lucky. How long do I have to stay here?" Charlie replied.

"I would like to keep you in for a couple of days, just to keep an eye on you. I don't expect there to be any problems, but I want you to rest, and the

only way I can be certain you will rest is to keep you in. How do you feel?"

"My head does hurt........" Charlie trailed off as she remembered Hugo hitting her over the head with his gun. Her breathing became rapid, and colour

drained from her face.

"Charlie, stay with me" Rachel said loudly to get Charlie's attention. Charlie looked at Rachel and started to calm down again, realising she was safe.

"I'm sorry, I was just remembering what happened" Charlie said shakily.

"Hey, it is completely normal for you to feel like this, and to be honest it probably won't be the first time. All I ask is that you don't bottle things

up. Make sure you talk to someone about how you are feeling, don't struggle with it on your own" As Rachel was finishing talking, Angelo came back into

the room. He took one look at Charlie and knew something was wrong.

"What's going on? Are you ok Charlie?"

"Charlie just had a small panic attack about what happened to her. She's fine now, but I have told her to make sure she talks to us about what she is

feeling. I am going to get you some pain relief Charlie, and then I want you to get some more rest"

"Thanks Rachel. I do feel quite tired again" Charlie gave Rachel a small smile.

Rachel left the room to get the pain relief. Angelo sat next to Charlie on the bed, and stroked her hair.

"Did you get through to Ruby?" Chalie asked, followed by a long yawn.

"Yes, she was very excited. She's coming right over"

"Thank-you for being here, I'm sure you have been a good support to Ruby too, which means a lot"

"I'd do anything for you Charlie, I thought I'd lost you. I love you"

"I'm not going anywhere. I love you too"

Rachel entered the room.

"Here, these should help with the headache, then I want you to rest. I'm sure I can count on you Angelo to make sure that happens" Rachel said, handing Charlie a pot containing a couple of pills.

Charlie swallowed down the pills, enjoying the cool water rinsing round her dry mouth.

"I don't think that will be a problem, I feel exhausted again. I don't know how I can be, I've slept for 3 days" Charlie looked worried again.

"Charlie, you have been through a huge trauma, it will take you a while to feel 'normal' again. Now sleep!" Rachel smiled sympathetically at Charlie. It

did feel strange watching the normally strong police officer that Charlie was looking so vulnerable. Rachel slipped out of the room.

Angelo stayed on the bed stroking Charlie's hair as she slipped off into a deep sleep. He noticed that she looked more peaceful than before, and he

smiled to himself. Perhaps this was the beginning of a new chapter for them, a happy one. He kissed Charlie on the head and then sat back in the chair to

watch her sleep.

Thanks for the reviews :)

Chapter Four - I Love You

Flashbacks of Hugo kept attacking Charlie's mind whilst she slept. Images of being tied up on the boat, and Hugo hitting her over the head with his

gun kept repeating themselves. An hour had passed since Charlie had gone back to sleep since waking up for the first time, and Angelo was still watching

her. Ruby had burst into the room half an hour previously, and had been upset to find Charlie asleep again. Angelo and Rachel had reassured her that

Charlie was fine, and would wake again soon. Ruby had soon calmed down, and had gone to get herself and Angelo a drink. Angelo frowned as he saw

Charlie flinching in her sleep. He walked over to her bed and was worried to see Charlie frowning, and in the throes of a nightmare. He ran out of the room

and spotted Rachel talking to one of the nurses.

"Rachel! Can you come and see Charlie please?" Angelo shouted up the corridor, not noticing Ruby coming in the opposite direction.

"Why? What's wrong with Charlie?" Ruby cried out as she ran towards Angelo, spilling coffee as she ran.

Rachel entered Charlie's room and immediately saw what Angelo was worried about.

Ruby looked at Charlie's distressed face and a tear ran down her face as she watched Rachel examine Charlie. Angelo saw this and walked over to Ruby and

hugged her.

Rachel turned around to face Angelo and Ruby.

"Charlie is having a nightmare of some sort. She had a similar episode earlier, she was having flashbacks of Hugo. It is completely expected that

Charlie is going to have some emotional issues to deal with, and it looks like they are manifesting themselves in nightmares. We need to try and get her

out of this soon, as it is causing stress on her physically. Perhaps you could try talking to her Ruby?"

Ruby looked up at Angelo for reassurance, and then walked over to the bed and perched next to Charlie. She took hold of Charlie's hand and began to

whisper to her. Charlie's thrashing around was getting more violent, and sweat began to run down her face.

"It's not working! Can't you give her something?" Ruby shouted to Rachel, becoming more and more hysterical. Rachel was just about to leave the room to

get a sedative, when Charlie sat bolt upright, breathing heavily, but awake from the nightmare.

"Charlie! Are you alright?" Ruby cried. Charlie didn't respond, but sat with her eyes open, trying to calm her breathing.

"Charlie, it's Rachel. You had a nightmare, but you're safe now ok?" Rachel said, her soothing tones getting through to Charlie. Charlie looked around the

room and saw Ruby, her daughter, looking frightened. Charlie held a shaky hand out for Ruby, who walked over to Charlie and gave her a huge hug.

"Charlie, I have been so worried about you. You know how to freak me out don't you!"

"Hey, it's ok sweetie. I'm sorry for worrying you, but I'm going to be alright.....eventually" Charlie smiled at Ruby, and wiped the tears off her cheeks.

"Alright, I'm going to leave you all to it, but I'll be right outside if you need me" Rachel left the room.

"I thought I was going to lose you Charlz. I have never been so scared in my entire life. I meant what I said at the Christmas Party, no more secrets. I

want us to be a family again"

"Ruby, I have waited to hear those words for a long time. These past few months have been so hard, watching you from a distance, but I love you Ruby, more

than anything"

"I love you too Charlz"

Angelo smiled as he watched mother and daughter reunite. He had been there with Charlie and listened to her talk about Ruby, wiped the tears away

when Charlie had cried herself to sleep, worrying that Ruby would never accept her as her mother. Seeing them so close again, seeing Charlie so happy

to be with Ruby, despite what she had been through, made Angelo think that things were going to be fine.

Two Days Later

"Ok, Charlie, are you all set for going home?" Rachel asked.

"I can't wait. Not that I haven't been looked after whilst being here, but I am really looking forward to getting back to normal"

"I want you to promise me that you will rest. You have been through a lot, and you are still recovering. I know you are still having nightmares, and I

want you to consider seeing a counsellor"

"I will rest, but I really don't think I need to see anyone. I know why the nightmares are happening, and they will pass. Besides, Angelo is not going

to let me lift a finger for the next week, he told me so yesterday"

"Good for Angelo" Rachel smiled.

"What's good for me?" Angelo asked as he walked into Charlie's room to pick her up.

"Charlie was just telling me that you are going to be looking after her every need when she gets home"

"Well, not exactly, but somebody will" Angelo replied with a smile.

"What do you mean? Surely you haven't roped Ruby in?" Charlie asked.

"No, we are going away for a few days tomorrow. It's all been arranged through work, they call it stress leave"

"Wow! Where are we going?"

"A lovely little resort up the coast, it will be just what we need"

"Sounds fantastic. Let's get out of here. Thank-you for everything Rachel" Charlie looked serious as she thanked Rachel.

"You are very welcome. I want to see you back in Summer Bay, relaxed and rested ok?"

"We will be, don't worry. And thank-you from me Rachel. Charlie means the world to me, and I'm so grateful for all you've done" Angelo said.

"Get out of here before you make me cry!" Rachel smiled as she watched Charlie and Angelo leave the hospital. She was happy that Charlie was recovering,

but was still concerned about the nightmares. She made a mental note to check in with Charlie when she returned from stress leave.

Charlie sat down on the couch and was relieved and happy to finally be home. She patted the couch, inviting Angelo to sit down with her. Charlie was looking

forward to getting away from Summer Bay, and spending some quality time with Angelo. Angelo spotted her smiling.

"What's making you so happy?"

"I'm just enjoying being with you. Things really are going to be ok aren't they?"

"Things will be just perfect, as long as we're together. I love you Charlie"

"I love you too"

Archived